Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: My New Electra Glide  (Read 9084 times)

chornbe

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 01:50:47 pm »

I am still in the break in period and will have to see what it can really do after that is over.

I don't understand the concept.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

ray6576

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: EletraGlide Classic 2007
GPS: Unionville, VA
Miles Typed: 418

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 02:23:56 pm »

I don't understand the concept.

Hd has a breakin period for their bikes. They want you to baby the engine for the first 500 miles. I have heard different reasons why this is but the most prevalent is to seat the piston rings and something about the cyclinder walls. The other school of thought is that you ride it hard and to heck with the baby part. I came down midway between both extremes. Now that I have 6500 miles on it the engine pulls well in gears 3, 4 and 5 but has very low torque in 6th gear. The sweet spot for this bike is 2500 to 3000 rpm. I am happy with the bike.

I would rather die standing on my feet as a free man than to live on my knees as a slave.
chornbe

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 03:21:56 pm »

Hd has a breakin period for their bikes. They want you to baby the engine for the first 500 miles. I have heard different reasons why this is but the most prevalent is to seat the piston rings and something about the cyclinder walls. The other school of thought is that you ride it hard and to heck with the baby part. I came down midway between both extremes. Now that I have 6500 miles on it the engine pulls well in gears 3, 4 and 5 but has very low torque in 6th gear. The sweet spot for this bike is 2500 to 3000 rpm. I am happy with the bike.

*smile* I know.

The "baby it for the first xxx miles" is a hold-over from years past. Modern machines can be ridden normally; the biggest need is to not beat on the engine when it's cold, don't - DO NOT - let it over heat and do not lug it. Wink
Advertisement

Nodaclu
Laps Timed By Sundial

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '08
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Pending...
GPS: Sacramento, CA
Miles Typed: 1471

My Photo Gallery

Wait...what?

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2007, 03:30:50 pm »

Since you moved from a Sporty to a Big Twin, I'd be curious to hear about how the weight difference is for you.

I'd consider a move up to a bigger Harley one day (actually have my eye on a used Dyna T-Sport FXDXT - basically a larger version of what I tried to make my Sporty into), but the thought of adding another 150lbs of weight for low speed maneuvering concerns me.

I had all kinds of trouble keeping my 700lb ST1100 upright (low back problems that prevent me from "muscling" a bike if I get too far off center at 5mph or stopped) but my 580lb Sporty has been a breeze in that department, due entirely to it being a lower bike, which allows me to use more legs and less back if I hit a little sand in a parking lot, or moving it around in my garage.

I love everything about my Sporty except for the wind blast and unhappy motor, both only above 75mph. If I lived somewhere else, I could cruise at 75 all day and be happy (not into the ton - I hit it during Buell demo days on a Firebolt just so I could say I did it, but not interested in spending much time there) but here in Vegas, freeway speeds START at 75, and is the bare minimum to keep from getting run over.  Crazy

Anyway, I'm wandering all over the place now (poster child for Adult-ADD). Just wondering how the weight is compared to the Sporty. Thanks!!

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle...
ray6576

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: EletraGlide Classic 2007
GPS: Unionville, VA
Miles Typed: 418

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2007, 07:52:18 pm »

Since you moved from a Sporty to a Big Twin, I'd be curious to hear about how the weight difference is for you.

I'd consider a move up to a bigger Harley one day (actually have my eye on a used Dyna T-Sport FXDXT - basically a larger version of what I tried to make my Sporty into), but the thought of adding another 150lbs of weight for low speed maneuvering concerns me.

I had all kinds of trouble keeping my 700lb ST1100 upright (low back problems that prevent me from "muscling" a bike if I get too far off center at 5mph or stopped) but my 580lb Sporty has been a breeze in that department, due entirely to it being a lower bike, which allows me to use more legs and less back if I hit a little sand in a parking lot, or moving it around in my garage.

I love everything about my Sporty except for the wind blast and unhappy motor, both only above 75mph. If I lived somewhere else, I could cruise at 75 all day and be happy (not into the ton - I hit it during Buell demo days on a Firebolt just so I could say I did it, but not interested in spending much time there) but here in Vegas, freeway speeds START at 75, and is the bare minimum to keep from getting run over.  Crazy

Anyway, I'm wandering all over the place now (poster child for Adult-ADD). Just wondering how the weight is compared to the Sporty. Thanks!!

At low speed it is different then the Sportster. What I have found is that you need to keep it upright and straight even at a corner because if you turn the handle bars you will be off balance and could drop it. I have come close a couple of times. What you need to do it to get the bike moving before you turn the bars in the parking lot or when making a left or right turn from a stop. The center of gravity is lower than a Sportster and I just adjusted to it. Now the Sportster seems lightweight to me.

I would rather die standing on my feet as a free man than to live on my knees as a slave.
Lon
Mower

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '10 Concours 14, '08 DL1000, '10 KTM 690 E-R
GPS: Hudson, NH
Miles Typed: 1055

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2007, 10:30:04 am »

Sweet bike.  I haven't tried one of those yet, but I figure that I've met enough riders who love 'em that I probably should...

'10 Concours 14 / '10 KTM 690 E-R / '08 DL1000
AMA / ST.N / DoD / RoK
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal