Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Tuono tire change  (Read 8127 times)

scottzilla

Reputation -56

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: CBR1100XX, 33hp oversized dirt bike, 08 Tuono
GPS: NY
Miles Typed: 8809

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2011, 08:49:20 am »

For no particular reason...here'a a quick write up on changing the tires on a gen 2 Tuono.

Step one would be to buy a bike with 5500 miles, then put another 1500 miles on, then pick up a nail in the rear.
The Mounted Pilot 2CT's lasted a long time, we'll see what my riding style does to the new set.  Pilots are slowly becomming my favorite tires. Wink
The Tuono will take either a 180 or 190 rear.  I opted for the 180 because they are $20-$40 cheaper and frankly, I figured I really wouldn't notice a difference.  I think i'm correct but maybe not; the bike clearly turns in quicker but the tires are new so there is sure to be a handling difference. Shrug
So after you destroy your mounted tires, it's time to get to work.
You need a 30mm socket for the front, 32mm for the rear.  $20 at Sears. Rolleyes  
I started with the rear.  My bent up, piece of shit T-Rex stand worked quite well with the swingarm spool thingy flipped around.

You will notice the rear brake is mounted low and in the way.  I figured rather than mess with it just remove the caliper from the bracket.  I confirmed that this is what most T owners do when I posed the question on Af1.  It looks impossible to remount the tire with the brake attached.

The reinstall went pretty smooth on the rear but for the life of me I could not get the axle in without having the chain tighten up.  You needed a pry bar to insert the axle.  I ended up loosening the axle adjusters and simply readjusted the chain.  Not sure what happened with this. Headscratch
The rear brake, by Aprilia's design, was mounted lower than the resevoir, so the rear brake doesn't work.  I mean, seriously-you press the pedal and the tire keeps spinning.  Good job Aprilia!  I don't unse the rear brake so I really don't care.  THere is a "Fix" for this but I was pressed for time.  The rear brake rotor looks MINT. Bigsmile

They're finding dead bodies where I ride.

The Wrath of Con Pt. 4 "One thing is for sure however, I will never publicly promote or let it be known that I am a member of STN again".
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

scottzilla

Reputation -56

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 09:00:09 am »

Now on to the front...
I immediately noticed it would be a pain in the ass taking the front off with the calipers mounted so before even sticking a wrench on the pinch bolts I removed right side caliper.
The original owner took the OE Metzler's off the bike at 500 miles, you can see where the dealer decided to leave the calipers attached to the forks.

This is why you should do shit yourself.  Can you believe after paying $12,000 for a bike the dealer takes your 500 mile machine and does this?
Loosen both sets of pinch bolts and do the screwdriver-in-the-hole-trick (No, not that one you sick fuck).

Try to remove tire, curse, remove left side caliper.  Wheel comes right off. Bigsmile
Front tire went on like butter.
Note: the T has a spacer on the left (Facing the bike) but none on the right.  The axle is configured to fit in a "Slot" on the right fork leg, against the wheel bearing.  This would be a good time to not torque the axle like the hand of an angry god.  In other words, don't overtighten or you will wipe out your wheel bearings. Wink
Up on the stand, both calipers removed.

The Wrath of Con Pt. 4 "One thing is for sure however, I will never publicly promote or let it be known that I am a member of STN again".
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 09:07:57 am »

The reinstall went pretty smooth on the rear but for the life of me I could not get the axle in without having the chain tighten up.  You needed a pry bar to insert the axle.  I ended up loosening the axle adjusters and simply readjusted the chain.  Not sure what happened with this. Headscratch

I always back-off my chain adjusters before taking off the tire.   I'm surprised you were able to get the chain off without loosening them first.   Headscratch  I'm also surprised to hear that is it "normal" for the rear brake not to work.   EEK!

Too bad on those front rotor scratches.  
Advertisement

scottzilla

Reputation -56

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 09:08:14 am »

When tightening the front:
snug axle bolt just a tad more than hand tight, drop front of bike from stand.  Hold front brake, jump up and down on front.  Tighten front pinch bolts, tighten axle nut.
This will prevent your front end from being "Bound" which on the road feels a bit like stiction.

Finished rear.

finished front, complete with grease mark so Carlos knows what direction the tire should mount to the rim.  I can live with it for only $20 to mount two tires. Bigsmile
I've only lightened the grease mark in a hundred miles, btw. Lol

Later bitches.

scottzilla

Reputation -56

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 09:12:10 am »

I always back-off my chain adjusters before taking off the tire.   I'm surprised you were able to get the chain off without loosening them first.   Headscratch  I'm also surprised to hear that is it "normal" for the rear brake not to work.   EEK!

Too bad on those front rotor scratches.  

I never back off my chain adjusters.  I get my chain perfect, so to me a chain adjustment and tire change are two different jobs.  This is the first bike i've owned that needed to have the adjuster blocks backed off.
The rotors look worse than they really are because of the camera flash.  The former owner bought the bike new from a dealer in Danbury, CT and told me they suck. Lol

Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 33

Motorcycles: '04 Concours - '03 FZ1 - '05 KTM 525 - '09 CRF250X - '13 KTM 990 SM-T - '07 Yamaha R6S
GPS: Shenandoah County, VA
Miles Typed: 3541

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 09:55:08 am »

Always feels good to do the job yourself.

Gotta be more to the story on the front rotors/calipers though. No way short of pulling the forks did anyone R&R that front tire with the calipers mounted on the fork. I've never seen a street bike with dual front calipers that this would even be remotely possible on. Hard to imagine even the most inept dealer grease monkey attempting it. Perhaps the PO tried it themselves first.

On the rear brake... Reservoir being higher than the brake is a normal set-up. Maybe the rear brake just needs to be bled? It would suck to get into a low traction situation and not at least have the option of using the rear brake.

I may die with nothing to show for it but there will be a heck of a garage sale.
scottzilla

Reputation -56

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 10:05:58 am »

Always feels good to do the job yourself.

Gotta be more to the story on the front rotors/calipers though. No way short of pulling the forks did anyone R&R that front tire with the calipers mounted on the fork. I've never seen a street bike with dual front calipers that this would even be remotely possible on. Hard to imagine even the most inept dealer grease monkey attempting it. Perhaps the PO tried it themselves first.

On the rear brake... Reservoir being higher than the brake is a normal set-up. Maybe the rear brake just needs to be bled? It would suck to get into a low traction situation and not at least have the option of using the rear brake.

It's a well known problem with the Tuono.  I did bleed it but it still doesn't work.  I'll look at it one day.

Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 10:09:15 am »

The rotors look worse than they really are because of the camera flash.  The former owner bought the bike new from a dealer in Danbury, CT and told me they suck. Lol

It looks like someone laid the wheel on a concrete floor with no thought about the rotor, then played floor hockey with it.
scottzilla

Reputation -56

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 10:12:24 am »

It looks like someone laid the wheel on a concrete floor with no thought about the rotor, then played floor hockey with it.

Well, you got me looking at the pic and agree they look like shit. Lol
I'm gonna have a problem selling this one. Bigsmile

BMW_Ken

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: Aprilia Tuono, BMW R1150RT
GPS: Northeast TN
Miles Typed: 59

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 12:52:48 pm »

It's a well known problem with the Tuono.  I did bleed it but it still doesn't work.  I'll look at it one day.

Scott, on my 2007 Tuono I was able to bleed the rear brake a couple of years ago and it still functions very well.  I can easily feel its effect on braking and lock the rear tire up if I desire to.

I removed the caliper and held it with the bleed port as high as I could get it and then did conventional bleeding.

A month ago I changed the brake fluid without removing the caliper and it is still functioning correctly.  I did the same thing to a Ducati 748 that I had (also know for rear brake problems) and never had another problem with it.  So it is possbile.

Ken Martin
Kingsport, TN 2011 R1200RT, 2004 BMW R1150RT(for sale), 2007 Aprilia Tuono, 2002 Ducati 748(sold)
scottzilla

Reputation -56

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 12:56:11 pm »

Thanks.  Yeah, the "fix" is to get the bleed nipple up high and bleed away.  I'll take another look at it and get it sorted.  

Croak

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: 03 Aprilia Tuono, '13 Kymco Agility City 200i
GPS: Is-Swieqi/San Ġiljan, Malta
Miles Typed: 1527

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 09:14:36 pm »

Not only get it high, but invert the caliper during part of the process.  My rear also locks at will.
Hunter
'twixt the corn rows

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '03 ZX-9 modded & '86 V65 Magna original
GPS: 5000 rounds and a dozen claymores down a dirt road, SC
Miles Typed: 561

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 05:16:35 pm »

So the moral to the story is that you'll spend the coin for decent tires on the Tuono but too cheap a bastige to even get some knockoff Cheng Shins for the poor KLR thats been on it's back more times than Jeena Jameson since it's been in your possesion.

I bet you drink cheap beer too.

Sharp looking 'priller btw.

quote courtesy of atadaskew "Man card?  MAN CARD?  My Vespa key is on a Hello Kitty key chain.
Man f-in card.  F.     AAAARRRR!"
DogBoy
West Texas Teardrop

Reputation 106

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, KTM450SMR, CRF230F
GPS: Sacramento, Ca
Miles Typed: 10066

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 05:16:07 pm »

So the moral to the story is that you'll spend the coin for decent tires on the Tuono but too cheap a bastige to even get some knockoff Cheng Shins for the poor KLR thats been on it's back more times than Jeena Jameson since it's been in your possesion.

Lol

Note: 1KPerDay approved signature lines below.
scottzilla

Reputation -56

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 07:12:29 pm »

Sharp looking 'priller btw.

Sorry I missed this post.  Yes, you do have a good point so I will upgrade my beer immediately   Bigok

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal