Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: KTM's Future Revealed  (Read 25629 times)

Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Miles Typed: 13728

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2011, 01:06:50 pm »

One naughty attendee of the KTM North American dealer meeting has snapped a photo of a classified slide showing all the KTM's for the next 3-years.  "The Future is Orange," reads the text.  

All the new KTMs for the next three years

Dealer meeting leak reveals everything...
Posted: 2 August 2011
by Visordown News

LEAKED on to a forum yesterday is this cameraphone shot from inside KTM's North American dealer meeting – revealing the firm's entire new model plan until 2014.

Just as revealing as the bikes the firm has got planned are those that are missing from the list. According to this there's no new RC8 variation planned before 2015 at the earliest, suggesting that KTM's foray into the world of superbikes isn't going quite as well as it hoped. Indeed, the majority of the new models are in the smaller-engined sectors, fitting perfectly with claims some time ago from KTM boss Stefan Pierer that he believed 'downsizing' was the future when it comes to engine capacity.

It looks like there isn't too much to get excited about in the immediate future; for 2012 there's just a face lift for the Enduro R690 on the list along with a handful of modifications for off road models.

2013 brings the electric Freeride in motocross (SX) and enduro (EXC) forms, plus a Freeride 350 – which seems strange, as the name suggests it has a petrol engine. More likely it's a code term for a higher-powered electric crosser, wither performance in the 350cc league as opposed to the 125-style speed of the initial Freeride models.

A Duke 350, with the joint KTM/Bajaj single-cylinder engine rounds off the smaller new bikes for the year.

In terms of twins, 2013 brings an Adventure R 1090 as a stop-gap model, plus a new Super Duke 1290 which is believed to have a totally new engine and a complete redesign in terms of appearance and its mechanical components.

Further away, in 2014, the Adventure gets the new 1290 engine and KTM promises two new 350cc bikes – an enduro and, intriguingly, a “Moto3”. That bike is likely to be KTM's next sports bike, taking the style of the firm's 250cc Moto3 racer and applying it to a 350cc single-cylinder road-going sports bike. The firm's boss, Stefen Pierer, has been championing the idea of 'downsizing' sports bikes ever since the financial crisis started decimating bike sales in 2008, and this looks like it's the culmination of that ambition; a relatively low-priced machine, with usable performance and handling that only a lightweight sports bike can offer. He'll be hoping it can catch imaginations like the two-stroke 250cc sports bikes of old.

While all this information looks rock solid, there is one notable omission that casts some doubt on whether the list is complete. Earlier this year a totally redesigned Duke 690, with the style of the firm's Stunt concept from a few years ago, was spotted on test several times – looking like it's basically production-ready. And yet there's no mention of the Duke 690, arguably KTM's most important street bike, anywhere on the new-model list. Maybe there's another slide that the canny photographer didn't get a picture of. Let's hope so, and hope it also mentioned some future versions of the RC8, too...

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/all-the-new-ktms-for-the-next-three-years/18740.html#ixzz1TzDrIpXw

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 02:57:00 pm »

I'm pretty stoked that this means we will get the Duke 350!  Combine that with the new rumored 300cc Triumph Street Singles, and the "under 500cc" market is set to be reinvigorated in the next year or two.  
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 08:17:25 pm »

I'm pretty stoked that this means we will get the Duke 350!  Combine that with the new rumored 300cc Triumph Street Singles, and the "under 500cc" market is set to be reinvigorated in the next year or two.  

My thoughts exactly.  Considering KTM's other 350cc model, there's good reason to get excited.
Advertisement

falcofred

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2010 Multistrada 1200 S Touring, 07 KTM SuperDuke, 05 Suzuki DR650
GPS: Extreme N.E. Tennessee
Miles Typed: 1055

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 09:43:54 pm »

I own a 2007 Superduke, but won't purchase another KTM twin until they work on their dealer network. Great bikes, but too few dealers. Most KTM dealers only sell and work on the single cylinder bikes.

How fast is too fast? How Young is too young? How High is too high?
Mastros2

Reputation 68

Years Contributed: '09, 10
Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple R
GPS: Central NJ
Miles Typed: 4146

My Photo Gallery

My daddy loves cookies

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 12:38:05 am »

Cool beans Rince!  Thanks for the share.  Hopefully this comes to fruition and isn't some nasty internet hoax!

mastros2.wordpress.com
jfurf

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: 2003 Suzuki SV1000 naked
GPS: Atlanta, GA USA
Miles Typed: 1656

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 09:36:21 am »

I own a 2007 Superduke, but won't purchase another KTM twin until they work on their dealer network. Great bikes, but too few dealers. Most KTM dealers only sell and work on the single cylinder bikes.

I was gonna say. The KTM Dealer Meeting. What is that, like three guys standing around drinking coffee?  Bigsmile

I'm always amazed that KTM is still in business. Whenever I've talked to someone who's owned a KTM road bike, they always say something like "It was a miserable experience. But somehow I loved that bike."

What an odd business story.
Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 10:41:21 am »

Also of note from that pic:

KTM electric bikes (the Freeride E) will be available in 2013.  See http://www.ktmfreeride.com/ .  Will KTM beat BMW, who is working on an E-Scooter, as the first major manufacturer to produce an E-Bike?  

A new 1290cc engine will debut in a SuperDuke.  The Adventure model will have a brief bump to 1090cc, but then will also adopt the 1290cc the following year.

Looks like KTM is going BIG with their twins!  This should coincide with the new Triumph 1200cc model debuts.
crispiegee1

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: 2001 Yamaha YZF600R; 1974 Moto Guzzi 850 Eldorado
GPS: Buffalo, NY
Miles Typed: 1227

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 10:44:33 am »

Once again, Rince, you get the scoop!   Thumbsup

I really question the morality of the person who snuck these photos out, as violations of confidentiality can sink a company by giving away their plans. On the other hand, it could be some carefully orchestrated "buzz" generation by KTM's marketing department.
nater

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 11 Suzuki GSXR 750
GPS: Sioux Falls, SD
Miles Typed: 761

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 11:12:49 am »

My thoughts exactly.  Considering KTM's other 350cc model, there's good reason to get excited.

Don't get too excited.  I doubt that the 350 motocross engine will be used, as it would not be reliable enough for the street.  

Sold:  06 Suzuki GSXR 750, 07 Suzuki SV 650S, 04 KTM 200EXC, 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 04 Honda CRF100, 94 Suzuki GS500E, 01 Kawasaki KLX 300R
nater

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 11 Suzuki GSXR 750
GPS: Sioux Falls, SD
Miles Typed: 761

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 11:16:28 am »

I'm always amazed that KTM is still in business.

That's because you are looking for them on the street.  Enduro races are a sea of KTM orange with a spot of red, green, yellow, and blue isolated in there.  

Sold:  06 Suzuki GSXR 750, 07 Suzuki SV 650S, 04 KTM 200EXC, 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 04 Honda CRF100, 94 Suzuki GS500E, 01 Kawasaki KLX 300R
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 05:48:50 pm »

My KTM experience has been very positive up until my move.  In "little ol' Morgantown WV" I had access to a few good KTM street dealers.  though they gave up the street line, they still had LC8 techs.

Now in North Carolina, I'm struggling to find someone who could do anything to my LC8.

As for the bikes, the Super Duke was in my ownership for 3 years and I piled on the miles with not one issue.  And, the bike was THE best bike I've owned in terms of build quality, suspension, power delivery, and giggle factor.

I have now owned the 990 Adventure for two years and 15k miles.  Other than an infrequent fueling surge around 4K, it's a great bike.  

I am left thinking that should I wish to replace my current Adventure with a newer in a few years, where in the hell do I go to get one?  If it's more than an hour, I'm out.  
MK96xj
What if the "Hokey Pokey" is What its all about?

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '08
GPS: Asheville NC
Miles Typed: 2860

My Photo Gallery

Ducati MTS 620

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 10:07:36 pm »

My KTM experience has been very positive up until my move.  In "little ol' Morgantown WV" I had access to a few good KTM street dealers.  though they gave up the street line, they still had LC8 techs.

Now in North Carolina, I'm struggling to find someone who could do anything to my LC8.

As for the bikes, the Super Duke was in my ownership for 3 years and I piled on the miles with not one issue.  And, the bike was THE best bike I've owned in terms of build quality, suspension, power delivery, and giggle factor.

I have now owned the 990 Adventure for two years and 15k miles.  Other than an infrequent fueling surge around 4K, it's a great bike.  

I am left thinking that should I wish to replace my current Adventure with a newer in a few years, where in the hell do I go to get one?  If it's more than an hour, I'm out.  

Doug,

There is a KTM dealer about 40 minutes West of you on 40. I think it is exit 112. I can not remeber the town though.

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 10:33:26 pm »

Doug,

There is a KTM dealer about 40 minutes West of you on 40. I think it is exit 112. I can not remeber the town though.

There's one just outside Hickory (is that the one?) and there's one in Mooresville.  It looks like the one in Hickory (off I-40) sells street bikes.  Thanks!
XLR8
Does not wear Crocs

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: C14
GPS: Pacific Northwest
Miles Typed: 4090

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 10:21:00 pm »

The real KTM dealer lost his KTM dealership and KTM moved the inventory to different and much bigger local shop here called Carl's which I really dislike. When I asked them if they could work on my LC8 they didn't even know what I was talking about.  Rolleyes
Reverse

Reputation 1

Miles Typed: 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 09:23:41 am »

That bike on the left might as well be the new BMW Adventure...  Seems like they all want to have the BMW-beak up front now
D-Mac

Reputation 21

Motorcycles: '10 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Mid-Michigan
Miles Typed: 1128

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 07:28:00 pm »

The news about the small displacement bikes is exciting. Besides being practical and fun, KTM could use these bikes to build marketshare and hook a bunch of people onto their products. A 350 would be a good "gateway drug" to a 690 or 950.

I hope KTM can find a way to stay in business. As long as they weren't heavy into the financing business I would think they should be ok. They do need more dealers though.

IBA#443 ('11 IBR finisher)
Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 10:16:18 am »

Spy shots of the new Adventure model are making their way around the net - see link.  It reveals a revised body style that looks related to the SMT.  It's expected to be 130hp and 1290cc.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/New-bikes/2012/January/jan2612-new-ktm-adventure-spy-pics/
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 12:54:23 pm »

I spy a more typical single gas tank (compared to the 2 linked low hanging kind they use now), a separate rider and passenger seat (compared to the single seat format now), a single side exhaust (compared to the 2 under the seat now), and the continued use of tubed wire spoke wheels.  

I can't tell from the image whether or not KTM is sticking to the 21 front 18 rear wheel set up or a more traditional 19 front 17 rear.  The tires are not a give away on this because they're Conti Trail Attacks which come in a 21/18 size.  To my knowledge, those are the only street biased tires without a block type tread which come in that size.  

Based on fact I have a custom seat and custom tubless spoked wheels, I don't see any reason for me to upgrade (not that KTM cares Lol ).  The Renazco seat I have now is the most comfortable seat I've owned and the tubeless wheels I have are worth their weight in gold (and cost nearly as much much too  Crazy).  

This new Adventure appears to look more like the other large adventure-tourers with more competitive power, revised electronic riding aids (guessing), but it'll maintain that great off road ability via a superior suspension set up.  

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 08:12:57 pm by R Doug » Logged
Smoker

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '09, '10
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 1571

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 06:03:07 pm »

So does the SMT get the same motor?

Founding member, Keystone Contingent/Flying Pig Association
sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 12

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5684

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 12:23:20 am »

I'm always amazed that KTM is still in business. Whenever I've talked to someone who's owned a KTM road bike, they always say something like "It was a miserable experience. But somehow I loved that bike."

What an odd business story.

They stole it form Moto Guzzi.   Wink

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal