Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: KTM's Future Revealed  (Read 25628 times)

Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Miles Typed: 13728

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 09:43:45 am »

So does the SMT get the same motor?

There are leaked photos of a Superduke with the larger engine, but I have not seen anything on the SMT.  

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/New-bikes/2012/February/feb0312-new-ktm-super-duke-1290-spied/
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 09:03:11 am »

New Adventure 1290 spy shots.  Looking good, KTM!

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/ktm-adventure-1290-spy-photos/

Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 09:13:19 am »

They should have blurred out the muffler instead of the guys face.   Crazy

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
Advertisement

garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 09:27:43 am »

The downpipe on an "adventure" model is a bit odd as it reduces ground clearance and makes fitting a proper skid plate harder. It would be nice if they offered a road-biased version with spoked, tubeless 17" and 19" wheels. That looks like a 21" front to me.

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
expatbrit

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1401

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 10:32:35 am »

The downpipe on an "adventure" model is a bit odd as it reduces ground clearance and makes fitting a proper skid plate harder. It would be nice if they offered a road-biased version with spoked, tubeless 17" and 19" wheels. That looks like a 21" front to me.

The gossip I read is that that one is the 'more road biased one', and that there's supposed to be a more off-road focused 1090R Adventure.

(Now, a light 1090R SM....)
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 10:51:48 am »

With the Empulse just being released, even the major manufacturers are going to be playing catch-up to the boutiques in terms of bang for the buck, reliability, etc.

And then the economies of scale will kick in and the boutique will die, assuming electrics take off.  They'll only stick around if the big players decide not to pursue electrics.

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 10:56:29 am »

With the Empulse just being released, even the major manufacturers are going to be playing catch-up to the boutiques in terms of bang for the buck, reliability, etc.

I don't know - the Empulse is cool, but it's not exactly easy to find any Brammos, and where am I to take it for warranty or servicing - the UPS store?  I suspect that when a major player such as KTM makes a move, there will be a very widespread acceptance and purchasing of electric bikes.  The major players have a lot more money to make e-bike offerings much more successful much quicker than any of the "boutique" manufacturers.  I don't think there will be much catching-up after the initial problems are solved.
Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 11:26:27 am »

If Brammo and Zero adopted something more like the Ducati or Harley style marketing - where it's more of a life style and life choice than just another type of vehicle - I think they could get entrenched.

I agree; however, that level of marketing requires a ton of money.  I already see Brammo developing a "passion" with their Brammo Girls.  As well I think the passion is growing as the e-bike makers race on the Isle of Man.  For Hollywood endorsements, Fabio has pimped for Zero - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0scHiHq27o8 .  It's only a matter of time till the culture will become attuned to the idea, and at that point I think the major players will see the Green (as in, the money, not the eco-ethics).

expatbrit

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1401

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 11:55:52 am »

True... They probably will not (easily) survive the mass onslaught once the big MFGs get involved.

My only thinking here is that Brammo and Zero and a few others... this is what they do... ALL they do. I'm sure they're quite a bit ahead in optimization of the various systems. While the big boys have more money to throw at it - well, some do - Zero and Brammo have had backers on this pretty consistently for years now. Zero, especially, has had several huge infusions of cash and resources over the last 2 years especially.

If this was the IT industry, or even the car industry, I'd say 'HI SETTING UP FOR ACQUISITION MUCH'. That's my bet on these guys, with their technology -- someone who wants in to that market as it expands will acquire for the technology and roll it up and in. That depends how much they've genuinely managed to optimize their systems, and how much IP they have, of course.

As to snobs; my local Triumph/Ducati dealer just picked up Zero as their fourth brand (they have Husky, too). One day when I have time, I'm going to wander down there and snag a test ride on something, just to try it out. At the current price (and as a telecommuter) I don't see actually owning one yet, but they're interesting as hell to me as a concept.
DogBoy
West Texas Teardrop

Reputation 106

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, KTM450SMR, CRF230F
GPS: Sacramento, Ca
Miles Typed: 10066

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 12:18:54 pm »

Agree with expatbrit. I don't think the Zero, BRD or Brammo are trying to become full fledged moto manufacturers they are just using motorcycles because its a million times cheaper (figuratively and maybe literally) to develop technology on a motorcycle than a car. The motorcycle industry has almost no regulation compared to the auto industry with (crash tests, etc.).

These companies aren't boutiques, they are research firms developing technology just as in the IT industry where innovators are often bought by the big guys.

Note: 1KPerDay approved signature lines below.
Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 11:00:47 am »

They should have blurred out the muffler instead of the guys face.   Crazy

They have since blurred out the entire bike in the linked article, so I guess you got your wish.  Lol

Full unblurred pics are still up at http://www.infomotori.com/moto/2012/04/23/ktm-adventure-1200-foto-spia-della-futura-turistic/
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2012, 11:08:44 am »

Ok, I spy...

differences to current Adventure:  A bigger motor, new plastics, new windscreen, side exhaust, and new swingarm.

similarities to current Adventure:  side gas tank(s?), 21" front / 18" rear wheels with use of tubes, similar Dakar bike inspired front end w/ no "beak"

Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 12:25:49 pm »

This is the new 150bhp 1290cc KTM Super Duke that was recently spied testing on the roads near the KTM factory in Mattighofen, Austria.

The Super Duke will be getting a more powerful version of the 1290cc motor which KTM has been working on for the past three years. The bikes will be seen in finished form in the Autumn of 2012 to go on sale in early 2013.

The latest spy shots come after a prototype machine was pictured strapped to a trailer in Tenerife in January, along with the new 1290cc KTM Adventure.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/New-bikes/2012/May/may1712-new-ktm-super-duke-spies/

Nice to see a SSSA on this new model.  Is that a first for a KTM?  
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2012, 02:59:13 pm »

Yea, I believe this would be the first SSSA used by KTM.  Nice touch.
falcofred

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2010 Multistrada 1200 S Touring, 07 KTM SuperDuke, 05 Suzuki DR650
GPS: Extreme N.E. Tennessee
Miles Typed: 1055

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2012, 08:45:49 am »

Love the SSSA, but why block it with the exhaust? They should retain the underseat exhaust of the earlier SuperDuke

How fast is too fast? How Young is too young? How High is too high?
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2012, 10:55:15 pm »

With emission standards, exhausts run waaaaaaay hot these days - moving them away from under the seat is a necessity.

That said, does it really have to be that big?  It's huge!
Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2012, 12:41:03 pm »

I like how the new 1190 Adventure looks - especially the LED running lights in front.  

Kootenanny
"Not That Good"

Reputation 33

Years Contributed: '09
Miles Typed: 4630

My Photo Gallery

Buellshit!

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2012, 01:29:49 pm »

I own a 2007 Superduke, but won't purchase another KTM twin until they work on their dealer network. Great bikes, but too few dealers. Most KTM dealers only sell and work on the single cylinder bikes.

Hah!  There isn't any Harley dealer in my area, and the one that used to sell Victory burned down...but the local Honda dealer is also a serious KTM dealer, with most of the models in stock (including the big V-twins, not that I want one of those).  Indeed, the brands locally available to me are: Honda, KTM, and Yamaha.  That's it...(of course, I own a Buell Wink ).

E=MC2
black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2012, 02:01:39 pm »

My local KTM dealer won't work on a LC8  Headscratch  I do all my own maint. so it isn't a big issue.

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal