Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
Print

Topic: Sportbikes are not beginner bikes  (Read 131494 times)

nater

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 11 Suzuki GSXR 750
GPS: Sioux Falls, SD
Miles Typed: 761

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: July 29, 2010, 02:38:15 pm »

The bike had been doped by its prior owner, he has had it 4 years since then and rides it all the time.,  the tank was dented/front fearing cracked.. He replaced the tank but it could use a new fearing.. which is about 400$ he says..    I asked what he wanted he said 3100 ish but maybe work out something if you wanted..

What all should I look out for/be a warning signs.. I have looked over the general info for used bike buying.. just not sure about previously dropped ones..

Look for scrapes on the engine cases.  Also check to see if the front fork seals are leaking.  If they are, that could indicated that the front forks are bent.  Look at the frame to see if there is anything bent or any cracks.  Make sure the brakes, lights, and instruments all function.  Have the owner drive it a bit and shift if he won't let you test drive it.

Ask the owner what kind of tip over he had.  If it was just a parking lot tip over, then everything (but the scratch in the exhaust and the crack in the faring) is probably ok.  If he ran into something, the forks might be bent (as would be evidences by leaking oil).  It dosen't look to me from the pictures that he wrecked it while doing 80mph leaned over in a corner.  From the pictures, the bike looks pretty good to me.  

While I really like the ZX 6, I would not advise you to get that one for the first bike.  You can always get one of those later.  I just happen to like pretty much all SS bikes.

Don't be too afraid of getting a bike (like the silver SV) that has some scratches on it.  You can usually talk the owner down in price because of the scratches.  Just make sure that it's nothing more than a scratch or two.  

Regarding handle bar risers.  Ride it like it is first.  You may determine that you don't want risers.

Sold:  06 Suzuki GSXR 750, 07 Suzuki SV 650S, 04 KTM 200EXC, 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 04 Honda CRF100, 94 Suzuki GS500E, 01 Kawasaki KLX 300R
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Kootenanny
"Not That Good"

Reputation 33

Years Contributed: '09
Miles Typed: 4630

My Photo Gallery

Buellshit!

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: July 29, 2010, 03:21:51 pm »

Regarding handle bar risers.  Ride it like it is first.  You may determine that you don't want risers.

YOU might determine that, but a beginner has no frame of reference.

Reading this thread, you'l note that many riders advise against sportbikes for beginners strictly because of engine power and peakiness.  However, IMO the more important reason that beginners should avoid sportbikes is riding position.  The proper way to ride a sportbike is to support your upper body with your legs and trunk muscles, not with your arms and hands.  However, even experienced riders are not always able to do this, so why expect a beginner to have to do so, along with everything else they have to learn?  

Leaning on your hands on a sportbike makes it difficult to deliver smooth, subtle control inputs; the fact that the bars are often narrow makes this even more difficult.  A beginner is best off learning on a bike with a neutral riding position, like a dirtbike or most standards have, which is much more conducive to proper bike control.  

But, a beginning rider knows none of this.  He'll adapt to whatever riding position his bike has, and if it is a full-forward race crouch (like the 2003 ZX-6R 636 I rode years ago) this may limit how fast he learns to control his bike properly.  In the case of the ZV650S, how is a beginner to determine whether he wants risers unless he's ridden other bikes that have higher bars?  And not knowing how it may affect his learning curve?

E=MC2
jdgretz

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Los Angeles area
Miles Typed: 231

My Photo Gallery

The Fast Sexy Red Italian Norge

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: July 29, 2010, 05:08:39 pm »

YOU might determine that, but a beginner has no frame of reference.

Reading this thread, you'l note that many riders advise against sportbikes for beginners strictly because of engine power and peakiness.  However, IMO the more important reason that beginners should avoid sportbikes is riding position.  The proper way to ride a sportbike is to support your upper body with your legs and trunk muscles, not with your arms and hands.  However, even experienced riders are not always able to do this, so why expect a beginner to have to do so, along with everything else they have to learn?  

Leaning on your hands on a sportbike makes it difficult to deliver smooth, subtle control inputs; the fact that the bars are often narrow makes this even more difficult.  A beginner is best off learning on a bike with a neutral riding position, like a dirtbike or most standards have, which is much more conducive to proper bike control.  

But, a beginning rider knows none of this.  He'll adapt to whatever riding position his bike has, and if it is a full-forward race crouch (like the 2003 ZX-6R 636 I rode years ago) this may limit how fast he learns to control his bike properly.  In the case of the ZV650S, how is a beginner to determine whether he wants risers unless he's ridden other bikes that have higher bars?  And not knowing how it may affect his learning curve?

While I agree with you for the most part, at some point a new rider has to get on a bike he likes the looks of, likes the feel of and learn to ride it, warts and all.  No bike is absolutely perfect - and if it feels good to start, when those imperfections show up after getting some experience the rider will decide to "fix" them to bring the bike closer to what (s)he feels is perfect, or get a different bike.  Risers are relatively cheap and if purchased used, can be resold for the same price if they turn out not to be an improvement.

In this case shift is asking all the right questions, doing all the right things and headed toward purchasing a bike that is pretty well accepted as being new rider friendly.  When he gets to sit on the bike he may immediately know it does not feel "right", whatever that means to him, or it may feel just like he imagines a bike is supposed to feel.  I don't like the feel of a C-14 and don't care to ride one, but my Norge felt great from day one and still does, as does a standard height, standard bar, mid control Sportster.

If it was me, I'd say go check it out.  If it looks good, passes all the pre-purchase check lists, feels good, and is at an acceptable price, then you may have found your first bike.   You lose nothing except a bit of time by looking.  Just remember, there are a ton of bike out there that you can enjoy, and this is just one of them, don't be afraid to walk away if the deal does not feel right.  Oh yes, once you purchase, quit shopping price because I can guarantee that tomorrow a better looking similar bike will be on sale for $500 less  Bigsmile.

jdg

jdg

http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/gizmotimetempbig_both/US/CA/Canoga_Park.gif
'07 Norge - Sophia, '99 Honda Helix '76 Honda CJ360T, '03 Honda Shadow (The Loaner)
Advertisement

shift

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 03 SV650s
GPS: BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 29

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: July 30, 2010, 01:13:43 pm »

I just took a look at  silver SV650

Dented radiator was main thing..(crack in fearing/dented tank.. but has a spare tank)

Please take a look at the pics and let me know your opinions

I have low and high res ones..

Thanks guys!

http://s88451732.onlinehome.us/bike/
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 01:41:17 pm by shift » Logged
shift

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: July 30, 2010, 01:41:28 pm »

Fixed  http://s88451732.onlinehome.us/bike/

Main page is low res.. first link blank image takes you to the high res if you need a close up view Smile

Thanks guys!  Its a big help when you dont fully know what to look for Smile
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 01:45:20 pm by shift » Logged
McHack

Reputation -2

Motorcycles: Dang It, I'm bikeless until this winter.... *waaah*
Miles Typed: 579

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: July 30, 2010, 02:41:19 pm »

Posted for some fellow SV650 rider opinions so far the 2 replies say it should be okay!

As for handle bar risers are they universal or bike specific?

I own an SV650S...   It's my first street bike,  since I was maybe...  19-20.

If you go w/ a standard, I cant imagine needing risers...  However, if you go w/ a 650S, as I did....
there are a couple of options.   I can tell ya,  if I planned on keeping the bike,  I'd definitely do
SOMETHING.   As far as a good beginner bike,   I think an SV will last you a year or two...

The SV is a bike,  that is capable of keeping experienced riders entertained.   I made the "mistake"
of riding a Triumph Street Triple R, & have mentally moved on already.

If you seek info on SV's,  I'd head over to www.svrider.com.  
 LSL Handlebars,   Convertibars & Helibars are the more popular options...
shift

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: July 30, 2010, 02:54:07 pm »

What do you think of the pics in the link..  any damage or signs aside from cosmetic...

Radiator is biggest thing but i didnt see any leaks.

Thunderbox

Reputation -59

Motorcycles: 2008 Moto Guzzi Norge
GPS: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Miles Typed: 1099

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: July 30, 2010, 03:13:51 pm »

Yes because that mamby pamby pablum article must be the last word on the subject b/c it's on the inturdweb Twofinger  

To be honest I really don't care what other people do as a first bike whether it's a 250 rebel or a gixxer.    

As I said before ---  It's really just nature's way of thinning the herd.

Now this shows real maturity and wisdom beyond comprehension.   Just remember Flat Out, you are part of the herd.  Hope you don't get thinned out as you so delicately put it.

Relatively few riders are lucky enough to discover that there is a lot more to a lifetime of motorcycling enjoyment than just going fast. Those who do... become "motorcyclists".  The re
McHack

Reputation -2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: July 30, 2010, 03:53:05 pm »

I dunno,  I have a difficult time accepting anyone else's drop...   you don't know what they've "fixed".
But, the damage that is there would indicate to me,  that they were very low speed drops,  or more likely
dropping them in the driveway or something...

Everything looks stock.
nater

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: July 30, 2010, 10:11:44 pm »

What do you think of the pics in the link..  any damage or signs aside from cosmetic...

Radiator is biggest thing but i didnt see any leaks.

I say if you can get him down to $2500, go for it.  It looks like you picked out the main damage (radiator).  If the radiator dosen't leak, than you are good to go.  Use the fact that it is a bit banged up to get the price lower.  If the seller doesn't want to budge on the price, than go for one of the others you were looking at that hasn't been dropped.

Sold:  06 Suzuki GSXR 750, 07 Suzuki SV 650S, 04 KTM 200EXC, 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 04 Honda CRF100, 94 Suzuki GS500E, 01 Kawasaki KLX 300R
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15423

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #150 on: July 30, 2010, 10:16:35 pm »

Dented radiator was main thing..(crack in fearing/dented tank.. but has a spare tank)

I don't have much experience with these particular bikes, but the spelling police would prefer if you'd spell it "Fairing"  Cool

Good luck with your search - it sounds like you're going about this in just the right way  Thumbsup  And I'm excited to hear about your first ride!!!

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
shift

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: July 31, 2010, 03:00:34 am »

2,850$ is the lowest I can get him.. no leeks visible.. im going to pay 75$ next week and get the suzuki bike shop to fully inspect it.. if nothing mechanically is damaged im going to go for it.. the bike only has 7,000km on it.. which is nothing..   so see what happens Smile
nater

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: July 31, 2010, 09:43:39 pm »

Go for it!  

McHack

Reputation -2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: August 02, 2010, 09:09:21 am »

Geez,  and I'm trying to sell my 2006 SV650S,  which is CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN,  never dropped...  with a couple of extras,  for $3500, & cant even get a single nibble.
shift

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: August 02, 2010, 11:14:15 am »

Depends where you live, there is actually a surprising amount of bikes for sale in BC where im looking.. most seem to be 4-5g    lots around the 4200$ mark.. so 3,000 for one with 7000km is decent as long as it checks out ok.

where about do you live McHack
Kootenanny
"Not That Good"

Reputation 33

Miles Typed: 4630

My Photo Gallery

Buellshit!

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2010, 12:15:11 pm »

Depends where you live, there is actually a surprising amount of bikes for sale in BC where im looking.. most seem to be 4-5g    lots around the 4200$ mark.. so 3,000 for one with 7000km is decent as long as it checks out ok.

Uh...keep in mind that prices in BC are gonna be higher than most members of this board (who are located in the US) are used to.  This is because initial retail prices are so much higher here (for various reasons).  So when talking prices, we're often comparing apples to oranges.  You can go to the States and buy a bike, but if it's your first bike I doubt I'd recommend this--there is a lot to be said for picking up a bike locally (a local guy I know recently flew to California to purchase a bike he'd found online, only to find it had been misrepresented by the seller; he later found a great deal on exactly the bike he wanted right here in BC).

edit--oops, I see you already have a thread going about importing a bike from the US...

E=MC2
birdrunner

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, XR650L
GPS: Edmonton
Miles Typed: 4865

My Photo Gallery

I am firm in my indecision.

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2010, 02:06:08 pm »

Also,  the economy in Canada isn't totally in the toilet.  ...... yet.

I could eat a bowl of Alpha Bits and shit a better argument than that.
shift

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: August 03, 2010, 10:48:30 pm »

Well the inspection went well, perfect running condition, only cosmetic damage.. buying the bike in an hour or two! yay!
jdgretz

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Los Angeles area
Miles Typed: 231

My Photo Gallery

The Fast Sexy Red Italian Norge

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: August 04, 2010, 01:17:25 am »

Good on ya - ride safe and enjoy YOUR new bike.  Bigok Clap

jdg

http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/gizmotimetempbig_both/US/CA/Canoga_Park.gif
'07 Norge - Sophia, '99 Honda Helix '76 Honda CJ360T, '03 Honda Shadow (The Loaner)
shift

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: August 04, 2010, 01:55:54 am »

Parking lot training starts this weekend Smile

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal