Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Damn Uly Rear Bearings  (Read 6751 times)

Squidbuzz
The Dirty Banana

Reputation 5

Years Supported: '11
GPS: Vancouver, WA
Miles Typed: 591

My Photo Gallery

Loud Pipes Give You Headaches

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2011, 10:00:17 am »

At 38K, my 09 Uly has blown another rear bearing.  That is the second set this summer.  The first set went at 28K.  And the front bearings went at 36K.  I guess I'm having bad luck with bearings this year.  

I have the second generation rear wheel, now wondering if I need to splurge for a third generation system.

Any thoughts.

Also, I have a feeling I will piss off the Facebook Erik Buell fans since I tagged him on a photo of the dead bearing.

Todd
IBA# 38417
And then there was fire. Yeah, fire.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

veefer800canuck
Nicky Hayden stole my childhood!

Reputation 167

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada, EH?
Miles Typed: 6790

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 12:06:03 pm »

Can you source replacements from a different brand?

Cross reference bearing numbers at an industrial bearing house?

I'd try nsk, nachi, or fag. All good brands.

Squidbuzz
The Dirty Banana

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 03:12:48 pm »

I have been lucky that all my bearing problems have been warrantied repaired by the dealer that I go to.  So we will have to wait and see what happens this time.  (hint, hint, Lurker)  <- my HD service guy

Todd
IBA# 38417
Advertisement

Paulie Hotnuts

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 07 buell ulysses, 07 ktm super duke
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 11

My Photo Gallery

ya,ya

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 12:29:16 pm »

just a thought on this uly bearing thing, is it possible that over-tightening of the tapered rear axle during tire replacements could cause stress to the bearings causing them to fail?  Headscratch
Squidbuzz
The Dirty Banana

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 11:36:41 pm »

Some have also said that riding 2 up compresses the suspension and makes the belt way too tight.  Then creating high stress on the bearings.

At this point I think Buell realized they had a problem and created the 3 bearing rear hub setup for the 2010 models.  Until you get to that configuration, you are in a situation where you don't really know how well it is going to last.

Todd
IBA# 38417
Paulie Hotnuts

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 07 buell ulysses, 07 ktm super duke
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 11

My Photo Gallery

ya,ya

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 08:12:09 pm »

I purchased my uly with 4k miles. Shortly after my first tire change my rear bearings failed. The mechanic that replaced my tire told me the axle was "real tight and had a hard time spinning it out." I didn't think too far into it at the time but after the bearings went I have to think the two were related. I'm due for another tire change soon and plan to do the wheel removal and replacement myself from here out so I can make sure torque spec's are proper and monitor the bearings.
Bueller

Reputation 3

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Motorcycles: Buell XB12R, 1125R
GPS: Melbourne
Miles Typed: 654

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 03:25:18 am »

I've done 3 sets of rears and 2 sets of fronts on my Firebolt Squidbuzz in 52,000 km - which is about the same as your mileage.

I don't high pressure hose my bikes, they get weather when I'm riding but they live indoors.

Once warranty is up the 3 bearing wheel may be a good option.  I got 22,000 km on my 1125R and in 10,000 or so I'll have an idea if the 3 bearings work better.

Check your tensioner to see how hot it gets.  If it is more than warm you may find the pulley bearing is causing the problem.  Try after two-up riding to see if that is hotter than riding solo.
Squidbuzz
The Dirty Banana

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 08:13:37 am »

HD covered my 2010 hub setup.  I was quite surprised.   Smile

I need to now think about the spring loaded belt tensioner.  Maybe that will help for when the bike is loaded down and I'm riding two up.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 04:23:33 pm by Squidbuzz » Logged

Todd
IBA# 38417
Bueller

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 11:40:12 pm »

I haven't tested mine long enough to say whether they improve belt life.  I'm close to halfway there.  You can feel them working on tam tracks and speed humps.  They seem like a sound idea.
sprk_sprd

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 05 Buell XB12s, 06 Buell XB12x
GPS: MD
Miles Typed: 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 10:34:49 am »

Hi all,

I know this is an old thread, but I felt it appropriate to keep the conversation going.  [Mods - if I need to start a new thread I'll happily do so.]  As a relatively new owner of 2 Buells (05 XB12s and 06 XB12x), can someone please explain what may happen when the rear bearings go?  Does the rear lock up?  Is it immediately catastrophic, or does it simply wear down for some duration?  I have no idea what to expect or watch/listen for.  Also, I've read here (and the other 2 main Buell forums) that the 2010 bearings are better built.  Is it still possible to find a dealer/mechanic who can obtain the 2010 bearings and install them?

Thanks in advance!
Bueller

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 10:39:40 am »

The 2010 wheel is a diffeent wheel.  There isn't enough meat in a 2 bearing wheel to fit the (bigger) 3 bearing set.

Not all 2010 wheels are 3 bearing wheels.  It depends on the colour.  Magnesium (Uly), Translucent Red, Designer Black, Sky white are available as 3 bearing wheels.  Blue, Pirana Black and Pirana Black with pin-stripes are not three bearing.  Other colours like amber were not available in 2010 and are not 3-bearing.

Things to look for with the bearings.
- you can hear them.  When you ride away people around you can hear the rattle
- the idler pulley tends to get really hot- may be a bit of both there
  - more drag from the rear bearings causing friction on the pulley
  - idler pulley bearing gone and putting stress on the rear wheel bearings

The general worst case (and it is not uncommon) is that the bearings drop all the balls and the axle winds out the wrong side (left side) of the swing arm and stuffs it.  Same thing can happen to the font axle in the forks.

I find that 1 set of bearings lasts two tyre changes on the Firebolt.  (I change the 1125R brake pads with every rear tyre change.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal