Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: 1016 Miles the hard way - A Colorado Saddlesore  (Read 6985 times)

Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6110

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2011, 05:07:43 pm »

Yesterday, on Oct 15th I took part in an IBA tribute ride for Jack Shoalmire - http://www.nmpcs.com/Jacks_Ride/FAQ.html. Jack had wanted to finish an IBA in state saddlesore ride in all 50 states, but that goal was cut short by his untimely death. To commemorate his passing, Howard Entman put together a group ride on the 15th, in which in-state SS1k's were completed in all 50 states on the same day.

I was able to complete 1016 miles (actually 1100 if you count my ride to the start location) all within CO, covering some of the best roads and scenery we have. The route included lot's of twisty bits and elevation changes, and 8 mountain passes. I chose to try to avoid interstates mostly to make the ride more challenging. Total ride time was just under 19 hours.

Unfortunately I was not able to get much sleep at all the night before the ride, so I was a bit tired throughout the ride. Not "weary", but not in the best state of mind to enjoy the ride to it's fullest.

I rolled out of my place at about 3:45, and made the long ride up to Ft. Collins to meet my friend Paul who was the start witness for the ride. My planned start time was 5:00 AM, but I was in no rush, so enjoyed a cup of coffee and some chit-chat before gassing up and hitting the road at 5:20 AM.

The first leg of the ride was up Poudre Canyon on CO-14 before the sun came up. Poudre Canyon is one of the finest 70 miles of twisties in the state, but not so much in the dark. As I was not in a rush I proceeded at a safe pace. As I went up the canyon the temps went up about 20 degrees with a warm breeze blowing down the canyon.

Cameron Pass at the first signs of sunrise (flash makes it look darker)

After Cameron pass I dropped into North Park, and the temps plummeted to about 30. My layering was borderline for those temps, even with the heated gear. I was pretty chilled by the time I made it to Muddy Pass and Rabbit Ears Pass.

Muddy pass:

Rabbit Ears pass:

I made my way into Steamboat Springs for my first gas stop, and enjoyed a cup of coffee and a croissant at Starbucks  Smile - after which I made my way out to Dinosaur for my second gas stop, and the corner marker of my in state ride.

From there my route headed south via CO-139 over Douglas Pass to Grand Junction. The scenery on the western slope was amazing as the colors are changing this time of year. My pictures do not do any justice, and I could not capture the amazing colors.

Changing Aspens heading up Douglas Pass:

Views from the top of Douglas Pass:

From there I made way down to Grand Junction, then picked up co-141 to Gateway which was my next stop. I have not been on this road in a number of years, and forget just how awesome it was. It starts off a bit more twisty, then it's mile after mile after mile of gentle sweepers through the Dolores river canyon. The colors the entire way were again simply amazing, with bright yellows and burnt reds and oranges.

I stopped for a fill up at the resort in Gateway, which is somewhat of a motorcyclists mecca. No good pics, was too lazy to walk across the lot.

By the time I got to Gateway, it was high Colorado noon (about 2pm), and it was at least 80 degrees. So I had to shed a few layers before proceeding. I followed CO-141 all the way from there down to Dove Creek, then on to Cortez. I had never ridden the section of 141 between Naturita and Dove creek before, so I was glad to get this opportunity. This section of road goes through the Gypsum Gap, and Disappointment Valley before climbing back up near Slick Rock. This is one of those sections of road that reminds you how vast and open the west is, 60 miles of beautiful nothingness. Disappointment Valley was desolate, but I did not find it disappointing at all, and there was even a section of awesome curves climbing out of the valley.

The next stop was in Cortez, to mark the SW corner of my route. From there I would take US-160 all the way back across the state to I-25. While a major road, US-160 covers some beautiful areas and is very scenic. It takes you through a few sections of national forest, as well as Yellowjacket pass and Wolf Creek pass before dropping into the San Luis valley. I did have one close call between Durango and Pagosa Springs when passing a car. Just as I was about to pull back into my lane in front of the car a deer bounded across the road. I stayed in the opposite lane as it was clear and braked hard. Luckily I made the choice not to pull back into the right lane in front of the car I was passing before breaking, as he passed me as I was braking. I would have been a hood ornament otherwise.

After that I made my way into South Fork, which was my next stop, and filled up and enjoyed a Blimpie roast beef sub. It amazes me how good crappy food can taste when you are really hungry after a long days ride. It was now full darkness and heading into the San Luis Valley, which get's very cold at night; so I added a few layers before proceeding. I am glad I did, as the temps dropped quick. By the time I was climbing up La Veta pass out of the valley, it was in the 20's. Once I cleared the pass, the temps climbed up quickly heading down to Walsenburg, which was my SE marker stop for the route. I filled up there before jumping on I-25 for the last 160 miles to get home. Made it to my last stop here in Highlands Ranch, and finished the ride at 12:13.

While I have done longer rides, and more miles in shorter time, this was one of the hardest rides I have done. I wish I had started off fresh, after a good nights sleep. That, combined with the extreme temperature changes this time of the year really beats you up. Not to mention it was done on a sport bike with at least a 3rd of those miles on twisty roads. I was tired and sore by the time I got home. But, looking back, I would not want to have spent my day doing anything else.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 08:08:41 pm by Justin » Logged

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

SaharaJp99

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: FJR
GPS: Northern Colorado
Miles Typed: 46

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 11:40:03 pm »

Great report and ride Justin  Clap

Wish I could have gone with.  That's crazy about the temp climbing as you went up the Poudre, I usually have the opposite experience!

IBA Member # 45611
sfarson
On a Ride

Reputation 21

GPS: Rockies
Miles Typed: 321

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 12:38:31 am »

Justin, Perhaps you can take a deeper bow for the accomplishment, for pulling it off not fully rested. Serious Congrats.  Really enjoyed the pics as the sun made its way towards the western horizon.  And yes, there is a nice climb in the Slick Rock area of CO 141!

You know, I recall a "chilled" but successful 1000 miles in 24 hours before.

The Colorado Book
Advertisement

Justin

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 12:55:54 am »

Justin, Perhaps you can take a deeper bow for the accomplishment, for pulling it off not fully rested. Serious Congrats.  Really enjoyed the pics as the sun made its way towards the western horizon.  And yes, there is a nice climb in the Slick Rock area of CO 141!

Thanks Steve  Thumbsup

Unfortunately my pictures did not do any justice for how awesome the scenery was on Saturday. It was the most color I have even seen in Colorado. I need to learn to take better shots. That was my first time riding that section of 141. I really found the desolation of the road thoroughly enjoyable. The twisty bit climbing out of the valley was the icing on the cake.

You know, I recall a "chilled" but successful 1000 miles in 24 hours before.

At least this ride did not feature picking the bike up in the snow going up Molas pass

That brings back some memories, not sure how I rode 1000 miles in February, over snowy passes, and lived to tell about it. I think that ride report died with the original ST.n.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 01:01:21 am by Justin » Logged

www.ledrider.com
Clovis

Reputation -6

Motorcycles: 07 Yamaha FZ6
GPS: Colorado Springs, CO
Miles Typed: 66

My Photo Gallery

Finding love in the CO mountains

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 01:03:29 am »

Awesome ride report Justin, I'll do the next IB 24 with you!
DNA
At least it don't have VTEC

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '07 GSA , One empty stall in garage
GPS: Recalculating...
Miles Typed: 5271

My Photo Gallery

Old and full of Advil

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 01:54:31 am »

Great ride and an excellent RR.

Now that I am in the west hopefully we can ride together - which rallies are you riding next year?

I might as well learn to play tennis for all I'm riding...   IBA # 24,128 and still invinciblehttp://s71.photobucket.com/user/dnaseller/media/VisitedStatesMap_zpsac48168b.jpg.html
Justin

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 02:14:26 am »

Great ride and an excellent RR.

Thanks  Smile

Now that I am in the west hopefully we can ride together - which rallies are you riding next year?

I'll definitely be doing the LOE1000 again next year - not sure what else, waiting to see the scheduling. I wanted to do the cal24, but it's timing is conflicting with other plans.  I'm also planning a BBG Trifecta attempt in June, so that is going to take a good chunk of my available riding resources for the year  Lol

Where are you located now, CA? You should hit the LOE next year if you can. Great rally, very laid back, and a great group of folks run it and attend  Thumbsup

IBA national is here in Denver next year as well in August - waiting to see what that will bring.

www.ledrider.com
DNA
At least it don't have VTEC

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '07 GSA , One empty stall in garage
GPS: Recalculating...
Miles Typed: 5271

My Photo Gallery

Old and full of Advil

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 02:25:26 am »

I'm in the east bay now.

I was planing on the cal 24, and/or the utah88, both of which I sort of watched from the east.

honestly - after being here 5 weeks I have ridden my bike only once - to the DMV and back.

Life has been a bit busy so my mileage has been zero.

I hope that changes.

I'll add LOE to the radar.  There were 3 I did in the east - I once did all 3 in on year - recently I had a deal to ride one and am thankful for that.

I might as well learn to play tennis for all I'm riding...   IBA # 24,128 and still invinciblehttp://s71.photobucket.com/user/dnaseller/media/VisitedStatesMap_zpsac48168b.jpg.html
scottzilla

Reputation -56

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: CBR1100XX, 33hp oversized dirt bike, 08 Tuono
GPS: NY
Miles Typed: 8809

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 08:41:47 am »

Nice. Thumbsup

They're finding dead bodies where I ride.

The Wrath of Con Pt. 4 "One thing is for sure however, I will never publicly promote or let it be known that I am a member of STN again".
playinatwork

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 01 Triumph Sprint St
Miles Typed: 48

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 03:49:27 pm »

Thanks for the great report and pics.

IBA # 48096
st2sam

Reputation 133

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 2014 Honda Valkyrie
GPS: N.E. PA. aboard a flying Hippo.
Miles Typed: 1671

My Photo Gallery

Certified sport-TOURING wacko.......

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 05:38:01 pm »

I'm a little late Justin, but here's to you  Beerchug.............
How did the new gas tank work out? Think you could have done it without?  How many miles were you averaging between stops?
Thanks.....

Change is good, but only for a while..
Honda makes the best "sport-TOURING" motorcycle, until I buy something else.......
Justin

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 06:37:30 pm »

I'm a little late Justin, but here's to you  Beerchug.............

Thanks  Thumbsup

How did the new gas tank work out? Think you could have done it without?  How many miles were you averaging between stops?

The new gas tank works as intended, I used in during the loe1000 and this ride.  

I did not need it during this ride at all, as I was only stopping every 150 miles or so. This ride was a lot of cold temps and twisties, so I needed the extra breaks. And there is no rush really with a ss1k.

I am however planning on replacing this tank, as it puts me over the 11.5 IBR limit, which is also used by a number of other rallies as well. Tour Tanks estimates suck. I was thinking about getting one the same size, but splitting into two sections, so 4/5 is for gas, and the other 1/5 is for drinking water. Or I may just replace it with a shorter one to reduce the volume.

And I'm also adding a pair of these - http://www.trailtech.net/4212-SS.html - and will be trying an Airhawk instead of the beads.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 06:39:46 pm by Justin » Logged

www.ledrider.com
expatbrit

Reputation 15

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1401

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 01:42:03 pm »

I've got to ride a lot of those roads; can't imagine doing an IBA on them though. Did LOVE 141 and then 191 (though we did it the other way around to you) on our trip to Yellowstone earlier this year.
Justin

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 12:26:08 am »

Certificate and stickers/patches came a few days back, so thought I'd share. I was really impressed with the custom design they did for this ride. The stickers and patches have the same design as the image on the cert below. I also really like how they were so thorough with the details of the ride on the cert.

Just sharing as this was a meaningful and challenging ride for me  Thumbsup

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-NEjY_zPvHQA/TyI0GzXUdfI/AAAAAAAABP0/HIOvU3Ga2p4/s800/jsss1k.jpg
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 01:37:58 am by Justin » Logged

www.ledrider.com
Dan

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2000 Honda ST1100-P
GPS: Qld, Oz
Miles Typed: 52

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 03:04:32 am »

Sounds like a great ride, I'm looking forward to doing another Iron Butt soon.

Just a shame they spelt 'Hayabusa' wrong   ah well.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 06:22:42 pm by Dan » Logged
Justin

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 10:41:15 am »

Sounds like a great ride, I'm looking forward to doing another Iron Butt soon.

Just a shame they spelt 'Hayabusa' wong   ah well.

Lol  - man - I didn't even realize that until you pointed it out  

www.ledrider.com
Dave.TX

Reputation -4

Motorcycles: 2008 BMW K1200GT
GPS: Elgin, TX (near Austin)
Miles Typed: 87

My Photo Gallery

Whippersnapper

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 09:49:07 am »

Terrific ride report and pics, Justin. Congratulations on the certificate, too.

I've been through Grand Junction and took I-70 to Denver (in a pickup). Almost crashed the scenery was so beautiful, I wasn't watching the road like I should have. I really enjoy Colorado Springs. One of these days I'll ride up to CO. Problem is riding through north Texas is very, very boring, west Texas isn't much better but once you get into NM things brighten up.

I hope to get the SS1K done this year.

Taggart: *LePetomaine Thruway*? Now what'll that asshole think of next?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal