Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Is this a fair deal? (2011 V-Strom 650 ABS)  (Read 4331 times)

MadMax96
Old Skool Forever

Reputation 5

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: 2014 FJR1300A
GPS: Round Lake, IL
Miles Typed: 1273

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2011, 09:34:31 am »

A co-worker of mine is wants to get a bike that does a little of everything.  The V-Strom 650 seems to fit the bill.  He has the $$ so is fine with buying new even though I advised that really nice (pre-farkeled) deals are out there.

The local dealer has a 2011 650 ABS (new) on the floor and my coworker said they would include the OEM hard saddlebags for $8300 OTD.  I realize the new V-Stroms are coming out so it makes sense to price this accordingly.

I kinda don't think this is too bad of a deal considering the bike is $8099 MSRP and the luggage has to be at least another $600 (?).

Personally I don't like the look of the V-Strom side cases and they don't seem terrible large compared to others - and I know there are better options out there.

Thinking maybe he should ask what they want OTD w/o the luggage?  Maybe have them throw in a center stand and a top trunk instead.

Any feedback would be appreciated.......  

-Matt
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 09:50:14 am »

If you figure that dealer invoice is about 18% off MSRP (based on dealer pricing reports from cyclebuy.com) you get $8099*0.82=$6641. Add $100 doc fee plus title, plate, sales tax ($100 + 6% tax?) and you're in the neighborhood of $7250 OTD without the luggage. Note that I didn't include any setup/prep/freight fees figuring the dealer will eat those on a leftover with a new model looming. Now that's a pretty lowball price and the dealer deserves to make a few bucks. Profit is not a four letter word. All in all it doesn't seem too bad and the dealer is probably making about $400-500 on the deal. Suzuki may be offering incentives to the dealer, so spending $20 at CycleBuy.com for  a current pricing report might make sense.

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
hovmaven
I'm Mr. Happy

Reputation 226

Years Contributed: '06
Motorcycles: Recalculating. . ..
Miles Typed: 3717

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 11:41:40 am »

I priced them lat month, and seemed to be right around $7500 before tax, and Suzuki has a $200 bag deal through October 31st, so w/bags I'd say $7700 plus tax OTD.   Thumbsup

I survived the 2007 VFR Hostage Crisis.   
My IBA number is still lower than DNA's.
NoVa First Responder.
Advertisement

MadMax96
Old Skool Forever

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 11:44:03 am »

Thanks for the info.  I didn't think it was the best deal ever or anything, but I thought i looked fair the buyer and the dealer.  This is a dealer that is only a couple miles from his home and I figured he'd probably end up using them for service and what not.  No sense in screwing the dealer that you intend to use going forward.

As for the dealer invoice vs MSRP - I had no idea there was that much difference.  I was under the impression that the dealer only had like $500 of profit to be made.

I think my co-worker seemed ok with the price, but going into a deal without any real information is just foolish IMHO.

I'll tell him about cyclebuy.com.    Bigok

hovmaven:  My co-worker did mention the bags were only $200, but I didn't realize that was a Suzuki promotion - thought it was the dealer doing that to get the bike moved.  Knowing that he can go anywhere for the $200 bag deal helps.  Thanks!

-Matt
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 01:56:29 pm »

On a whim, I went to the CycleBuy web site to see what pricing reports cost since using them in 2005. I couldn't find any links to the reports, so maybe they've changed their business model. Seems to be a regular online parts/acc vendor with no sign of the dealer pricing reports. Maybe I just missed it.

I know the margin on the Kawi sport bikes was in the 16-18% range (not a lot), but it also listed good stuff like holdback and what setup/freight charges are, as well as any factory to dealer incentives that are active.

EDIT: Seems that CycleBuy.com spun off the dealer pricing stuff to CycleCost.com (owned by CycleBuy). But the model years listed on CycleCost are a couple years old, so I'm not sure if they're in the "dealer invoice" business any more or not. Probably worth a call/email to CycleBuy if you're really interested.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:44:08 pm by garry » Logged

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
hovmaven
I'm Mr. Happy

Reputation 226

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 02:30:32 pm »

You are about right with the 20% or so range.  Dealers on ebay were selling for $6799 with about $500 prep costs added, so $7300.

See this site for any recent factory promotions:
http://www.suzukicycles.com/now

NoVa First Responder.
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 03:49:49 pm »

Sounds close enough.  They're within a couple hundred bucks, maybe see if they'll do the break-in service for free?  That might be cheaper for them than having them lower the price more Smile
MadMax96
Old Skool Forever

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 04:37:16 pm »

Sounds close enough.  They're within a couple hundred bucks, maybe see if they'll do the break-in service for free?  That might be cheaper for them than having them lower the price more Smile

Or I was thinking maybe they could cut him a break on some gear since he'll need all that stuff too.  He's in no rush to buy - but I think the leftovers will be even tougher to find come Spring.  This dealer apparently has 3 of them... the dealer out by me which is much larger didn't even have one on the floor.  

-Matt
hovmaven
I'm Mr. Happy

Reputation 226

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 04:46:50 pm »

Prices should drop even further once the 2012's hit the floor. . ..   Wink

NoVa First Responder.
Oxblood

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: 2016 VStrom 1000
GPS: Vancouver, BC
Miles Typed: 1108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 09:01:05 pm »

Tell tyour buddy to propose knocking at least 600 or more off that rpice for the bike without the OEM luggage. The OEM luggage is the skids (check the reviews from former OEM luggage owners at stromtrooper.com). I had the OEM top case. Ack, it was crap! Take the money he saved and apply it to whatever luggage he likes, be it Givi, Shad, Kappa, or pricey stuff like Jesse's.
MadMax96
Old Skool Forever

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 11:21:03 pm »

Well he ended up doing the deal a few days ago.   It was funny, he mentioned it like it was nothing.."oh yeah, got the bike... it's in my garage."  Me- "huh, wha?"  He came to me originally and said - "ya know, I think I want a bike... and I know you know all about them, so whatever you pick I'll go with."  He said he wants to road trip out to Utah and wanted something that could handle the occasional fire road... I figured the V-Strom 650 is the best bike for the job at the right price.  I had no idea he was going to pull the trigger... but I guess he's the shit or get off the pot kinda guy..   Lol

He was fine with the deal and I guess that's all that matters.  He was able to buy it with cash too.. nice.  He had them order up a centerstand as well.  He went with the OEM luggage but is probably only going to have it on for trips.  For everyday use I told him to go with a trunk - and I'll probably tell him to get a Givi or something.  He's not a super mechanical guy (programmer/db admin) so I told him I'd come by to install the accessories when he gets them.

He used to ride dirt bikes in his younger years (he's probably in his mid 40s now) so he had it delivered since he's only a couple of miles away.  He was going to try and get into one of the last MSF courses this past weekend.  

So I'm happy for him - and jealous since I've been wanting a new bike for some time now.  It's fun spending other people's money.   Bigsmile

-Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal