Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Re: Replace my crashed GSXR with Griso - 3yr, 8 months 100,000 miles later.  (Read 56057 times)

et

Reputation 17

Years Contributed: '08
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '04 sv650s, '10 Griso
Miles Typed: 824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: November 22, 2011, 02:36:25 pm »

While my ankle is still healing from crashing my GSXR.
One of the motorcycles I'm considering replacing it with is a Moto Guzzi Griso.

If I get Griso; it will be the first naked, non-rice-rocket for me in 20+ years.
And my first non-Japanese motorcycle ever.
So some thoughts have been running through my mind as to how to make a Griso a bit more sportier.
(Too bad a MSG-01 Corsa isn't possible.)
Such as replacing the handle bar with clip-ons, replace footpegs with rearsets, and replace stock exhaust with Guzzi's own Termignoni exhaust.

So I've been searching; but have been unable to find answers to a few questions.

• Clip-ons I could probably get a set from Woodcraft.
    But I have not been able to find any rearset pegs for the Griso.
    Does anyone know of a source of rearsets for the Griso ?

• Are there any frame sliders (or similar products) available for protecting the engine ?

• The kickstand on the Griso seems to be very low to the ground.
    Does it (or any other part) create a ground clearance issue when cornering ?

• With my GSXR I was averaging ~42mpg.
    What mpg should I expect from a Griso ?

• With all my Suzuki's. I was able to order a Service Manual directly from Suzuki.
    Does Motto Guzzi offer similar service manuals ?

Thanks;
--ET

Edit: 1 year review here: https://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,68335.msg1762251.html#msg1762251

Edit: 1yr, 7 months; Reached 50k miles: https://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,68335.msg1862674.html#msg1862674

Edit: 2yr, 8 months: Reached 78k miles: https://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,68335.msg2194162.html#msg2194162

Edit: 3yr, 5 months: Reached 90k miles: https://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,68335.msg2368409.html#msg2368409

Edit: 3yr, 8 months: Reached 100k miles: https://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,68335.msg2422393.html#msg2422393
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 07:55:09 pm by et » Logged

It's only called commuting if you are using four wheels; if you're using two wheels it's called riding.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 03:03:52 pm »

Just get a Ducati 1198.

It seems that is what you are trying to build.

The Griso is perfect as is.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13728

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 03:22:57 pm »

Here's a pic I googled of a Griso with clipons and rear sets, but I have no idea where they were sourced.  Googe "Griso Zero"

Also seen are the equivalent of frame sliders - rubber bits on the jugs.

I have no idea about cornering clearances.  

Fuelly.com does not yet have a Griso listed, but for the Breva and Norges it is about 40mpg.

Advertisement

nater

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 11 Suzuki GSXR 750
GPS: Sioux Falls, SD
Miles Typed: 761

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 03:30:45 pm »

While that thing looks neat, it won't come close to the performance of your beloved GSXR, may it rest in peace.  My vote would be for a Duc 848, another GSXR 750, or a Triumph 675.  Those three are pretty similiar in performance.  I personally would just go with another 750.  I'm a big fan of them myself.

Sold:  06 Suzuki GSXR 750, 07 Suzuki SV 650S, 04 KTM 200EXC, 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 04 Honda CRF100, 94 Suzuki GS500E, 01 Kawasaki KLX 300R
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi Weirdo

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: Guzzi's!
GPS: Salem, Massachusetts
Miles Typed: 228

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 05:39:20 pm »

Get an 8v Griso and see what you think before you start messing around with it. The motor is wonderful. The character of the Griso will be unlike anything you've ridden. They handle really well stock. The wider bars give you a lot of leverage to toss the thing around with.

Forget the Termi exhaust. I tried getting one and waited 6 months to be told it wasn't available and they didn't know if or when it would be. The Mistral is just as nice and way less money. Won't win you any points at the coffee shop with the Ducati guys though.  Bigsmile

Here's a crappy picture of my wife's Griso SE with the Mistral pipe.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/DougRitchie/IMAG0017.jpg

The fuel mileage runs about the same 42mpg unless you're beating the snot out of it, in which case it will drop to 34-36mpg.

The Shop Manuals are available on Guzzi forums to download.

2011 Moto Guzzi Griso SE
2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2004 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Ballabio 1982 Moto Guzzi V50III "mini cafe" 1979 Moto Guzzi V1000 "uber cafe" 1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador 1966 Guzzi Stornello Sport America
nevinfs327

Reputation 28

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Motorcycles: Ducati Scrambler, W650, TU250
GPS: San Francisco
Miles Typed: 1271

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 05:58:19 pm »

That's a good looking Griso.    Probably a handful at parking lots speeds without the leverage of the regular bars.

I "settled" for a Griso 4V at a demo several years ago and was impressed with the engine.  The suspension and brakes were definitely far better than my Superhawk too.  It was stable and planted, but I wanted something physically smaller and lighter.  The Griso feels very substantial when lifting  it off the stand and when riding it.  

It would be very different from the GSXR and you would definitely want to demo it.  Only warning on demos - you will eventually own a Guzzi.  The Griso wasn't what I was looking for, but the V7 Cafe was an ideal "second" bike for me.  The Mistrals sound great.  I bought machined aluminum head guards o Ebay for ~$60 as frame sliders.

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 10:52:20 pm »

So some thoughts have been running through my mind as to how to make a Griso a bit more sportier.
(Too bad a MSG-01 Corsa isn't possible.)
Such as replacing the handle bar with clip-ons, replace footpegs with rearsets...

There are whisperings of a new sporty Guzzi coming in 2012, although it might be late 2012

Although in comparison to a GSXR, it will probably lean more towards the sport touring end of the spectrum

(think revamped V11 Le Mans)

atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 12:26:41 am »

There are whisperings of a new sporty Guzzi coming in 2012, although it might be late 2012

Although in comparison to a GSXR, it will probably lean more towards the sport touring end of the spectrum

(think revamped V11 Le Mans)

So, we (the US) will see it about 2016...

Angry3

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 02:08:53 am »

some of these new-fangled container ships even have swimming pools for their crews  EEK!

I don't think Moto Guzzi should pay for such extravagances  

tramp steamers have suited their purposes for 90 years. I don't see any reason to change.

Biking Sailor

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: A Griso, an FJR, an R1200GS, a WR and my wife's FJ09 (she looks good riding it!)
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 865

My Photo Gallery

Fast and smooth, or you will be caught!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 07:27:12 am »

You definitely need to try one before buying it.  While I love my Guzzi, it is very different from my sport bikes and I think Atadaskew is right about trying to change it would end up being a compromise that may not meet your expectations.

The bars are wide and pretty forward (aggressive) for a standard and the bike does have a lot of mass, compared to your GSXR.  Also the Griso shown with the clipons has a 2V engine and the "sliders" that protect the head won't fit on the 8V.  But there are lots of bars on the market that can be mounted to protect the engine.

Be prepared for it being a totally different feel from your other bikes.

"Your Guzzi isn't here to do your bidding, you're here to do her bidding."  -- Orson
"when you're riding a Guzzi you know you're riding a MOTORBIKE and not some sits-down-to-pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end." -- Pete
Pete Roper

Reputation 45

Motorcycles: Lots of Guzzis, Aprilia Mana.
Miles Typed: 420

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 06:46:31 pm »

Most clip=oms that I've seen on Grisos have beem home made. These are off my mate John's bike

He made some rearsets too.

The frame slider issue has been covered. There are crash bars available which will fit both 1100's and 1200's but most are butt-ugly.

Yes, it is pretty easy to scrape the sidestand/ Best way to corner hard is to trail-brake and load up the driveline at the same time. It's cruel on brakes and the driveline but will help with clearance. The griso has a wheelbase longer than the keel of a supertanker. You have to FORCE it to do what you want, with the stock wide bars this is not so difficult but it will never be a 'Sports' bike.

I with the factory #68 map get 20 Km to the litre when being sensible. Get up it and that figure plummets.

Manuals are available online at a variety if sites. A model specific version of VDSTS is neccesary for tuningand there are now programmes available that allow you to bugger about with the mapping. I'll come back to tuning ans stuff in a bit,

Pete
et

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 03:39:33 pm »

Well I just got back from test riding the Griso.
It is a 2010 left over. It had only 2 miles on it.
And it was the store's only remaining Guzzi in stock.

With only 2 miles on it. And only taking it on a 5 mile test ride.
I really didn't have much of a chance to experience the power that supposedly kicks in at ~6000.
(Although how much "power" could there be kicking in on a 110hp motorcycle ?)
Nor a whole lot of twisty back road riding or high speed interstate travel.

However; it did not feel like a 500lb motorcycle.
The seating position and handling felt more akin to my old '89 GS500. ie. very light steering (almost unstable) and upright seating.
But that could be due to my having so much saddle time on GSXRs.
And the motor felt like larger version of my SV650S's motor. Just with a side-to-side vibration instead of a front-to-back vibration. (Which is what I expected.)

Overall I did like it. I felt no ill shaft drive effect. And I was definitely mesmerized by that famous Guzzi engine.  Bigsmile
I am looking forward to a motorcycle designed for high mileage, with valves that are easier to adjust than my GSXR, a dry clutch,
no chain to mess with, can handle full electric clothing, and a motorcycle for which I don't have to replace a stator or STV actuator every other year.
And I'm really looking forward to a 2-year unlimited mileage warranty.

The shop is willing to drop the price by $1000. And add in the Termignoni exhaust with free installation and free ECU reprogramming.
So the total with shipping, taxes, freight, etc... would be $14,600.

The salesman made it a point to say that another person was interested in trading in their 1200 sport for it. He even displayed a post-it with a person's name and phone #.
But that was probably just a high pressure sales tactic.

So I guess now I just have to decide if I want to buy a vehicle without putting 30% down. And owning a naked standard motorcycle instead of an all out sport bike.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 03:46:56 pm by et » Logged

It's only called commuting if you are using four wheels; if you're using two wheels it's called riding.
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13728

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 05:03:06 pm »

Too bad the test ride was so short.  I'm pretty curious if you make the switch from sportbike to Griso.  Have you considered a used R1200S?
et

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 05:52:00 pm »

So last Saturday 12/3/2011 I test rode a Griso,
two days later Monday 12/5/2011 I applied for a loan,
3 hours later I got approved,
today Saturday 12/10/2011 I am now ~$15,000 in debt. Because I now have this  Bigsmile

40 degrees all day, I rode for ~100 miles, grinning the whole way.  Bigsmile

Pete Roper

Reputation 45

Motorcycles: Lots of Guzzis, Aprilia Mana.
Miles Typed: 420

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 06:42:02 pm »

A few tips.

1.) Target idle is 1200 RPM. That is where it is supposed to be. On no account try to change/lower it by adjusting the throttle stop screw on the LH throttle body. The speed is stepper controlled and all you will do is bugger the TPS refference.

2.) Ex factory they almost all seem to come with both air bleeds on the throttle bodies slightly open. This is WRONG. At first service get the TB's ballanced properly, (his is a two stage affair.) and then get the TPS re-set. There should only ever be ONE air bleed open. The 8V is particularly sensitive to TB ballance.

3.) Get the #68 map installed. Once again, when this is done the TPS HAS to be re-callibrated.

4.) Stick the dB killer in the pipe. It wll run much better.

5.) The suspesion takes a long time to break in an is over sprung and over damped. Don't be afraid to tune it. I pays huge dividends.

6.) Use the specified full synthetic oil or equivalent. The engine is oil cooled. A mineral oil will cook and your tappets will go south. You have been warned.

7.) They respond well to being flogged mercilessly. Don't ride like yer granny!

Enjoy!!!

Pete

tigertim955

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: Triumph Tiger XC, Moto Guzzi1200 sport
GPS: Ottawa,Canada
Miles Typed: 402

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 07:19:21 am »

Nice bike......Who makes it? (get used to questions)

Beautiful bike-congradulations.

Flying W

Reputation -3

Motorcycles: GSX1250
Miles Typed: 83

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 12:16:47 pm »

Very nice.  In my opinion about the best looking bike being made these days. I really want one just not in the cards right now so I will  have to enjoy looking at others bikes for now...  beats the hell out of another Gixxer or any other plastic wrapped supersport that will be obsolete in a year or two.
veefer800canuck
Nicky Hayden stole my childhood!

Reputation 167

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada, EH?
Miles Typed: 6790

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 03:11:56 pm »

Congrats!!!

nevinfs327

Reputation 28

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Motorcycles: Ducati Scrambler, W650, TU250
GPS: San Francisco
Miles Typed: 1271

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 03:43:03 pm »

Nice - look forward to hearing what you think about it after commuting for a while.
Dean

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi EV '06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100
GPS: Hot Springs, Virginia U.S.A.
Miles Typed: 54

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 04:43:55 pm »

Ride a GUZZI, you'll never look back.

Dean
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal