Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Traded the fjr in on a Kawasaki Versys...  (Read 30119 times)

AzItLies

Reputation -72

Miles Typed: 191

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2012, 09:08:41 pm »

you know, it's really all about what you want a bike for isn't it?

I have no complaints about the fjr, they are awesome bikes, as are the other bikes in that category.

But sometimes the realization hits you... the category has changed for me.

So the Versys is about 200 lbs lighter (yeah, you can really feel the difference), it's about a 5" shorter wheelbase, and it gets way better gas mileage.

this isn't mine but it looks identical to it

Wish I could have 3 or 4 bikes... but alas, only 1 for me. So if most of your riding is around town type stuff... pretty sure this will be a great choice.

comments are welcome, good or bad, not going to offend me Wink
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

DogBoy
West Texas Teardrop

Reputation 106

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, KTM450SMR, CRF230F
GPS: Sacramento, Ca
Miles Typed: 10066

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 09:24:49 pm »

Congratulations. I liked my WeeStrom though I'd bet I'd like the Versys a lot more. Can't wait to hear more about it.

Note: 1KPerDay approved signature lines below.
Lawn Dart
I am BMW-K: I survived Christine's Wrath.

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2012 Ducati Monster EVO; 2011 Yamaha WR250R
GPS: Anaheim Hills, CA
Miles Typed: 4457

My Photo Gallery

- C'mon Iron Horse! Go faster! Go Faster!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 10:07:42 pm »

Heck yeah!  Every bike I've purchased since my K100RS has been about losing weight and gaining handling.  Over the years I went from 650# to about 430#...

Gotta love it.

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived, and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked, 
Advertisement

Frankienuckles

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 2003 gsxr 1000, 2000 ktm DukeII
GPS: Northeastern Ct
Miles Typed: 1244

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 10:45:15 pm »

Nice ride! Are you gonna put bags on it?
chesthing

Reputation -14

Motorcycles: R1200RT
GPS: Colorado
Miles Typed: 948

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 11:05:40 pm »

Givi bags, better seat and a real windscreen - sounds like a nice trade to me, looked hard at one of those myself.
sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 12

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5684

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 11:57:36 pm »

Buddy of mine rode his from Orygun to Alaska and back and still loves the bike.  

I still prefer the Wee, but the Verseys is a great all-arounder, too.  Happy miles!

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
AzItLies

Reputation -72

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 02:33:59 am »

Hey thanks everyone Smile much appreciated.

Yup, sure do plan on getting the bags. Probably the v35 givi's but looking around at all the options. Gonna send the seat to Spencer very soon... that's a tall bike!

Gonna copy someone on the Versys forum and take off the Kawasaki versys stickers on the sides and put on Ducati stickers ... hahahahahah

oh man that just cracks me up... it will automatically increase the bikes value by ten large hahahahahah - it looks really good too, very oem Wink
VAbikeguy
Pre-*@#! Hacker Member

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2009 KLR650
GPS: Stephens City, VA
Miles Typed: 505

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 04:37:59 am »

I know how you feel.  I went from an '81 Goldwing to an '09 KLR. For the first couple of weeks, I couldn't shake the idea that my new bike was a little toy because of the weight difference.

jay547

Reputation 279

Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 3678

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 08:34:00 am »

looks good, i like the color. i wanted a versys but couldn't find the deal i was looking for. i ended up with the z750s.

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.

"You really are one stupid idiot." ~Tejasbusa - "Thank you, Dr. Dipstick." ~NinjaLady
CosmicCowboy

Reputation 24

Motorcycles: 2007 FZ1
GPS: Tennessee
Miles Typed: 803

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 08:38:01 am »

Thought about a Versys a few times in the past. Still think about it on occasion. Congrats.

"See, it's kinda like some STN threads. When the pot stops steaming, hissing, spitting, and spewing, it's usually done." -ConPilot1
ZZR12

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 03 ZZR 1200 (SOLD) -2005 Road Star Warrior-2001 FZ1
GPS: Whitehall Pa
Miles Typed: 120

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 10:01:22 am »

A dealer near my house has a 09, brand new with the color matched bags, for $5499. Thats a good deal, unfortunatly they don't seem to give good trade in deals. Did you trade the FJR in, or did you sell it outright?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 10:06:05 am »

Nice replacement scoot for your fat pig.  Bigok  My neighbor has an Arrow exhaust for his Versys - a little loud but a pretty satisfying sound and I can always tell if it's him.
sprk_sprd

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 05 Buell XB12s, 06 Buell XB12x
GPS: MD
Miles Typed: 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 11:33:43 am »

Just out of curiosity, you're not going to miss the better fairings/protection of the FJR?

I ask because you're doing the opposite of what I'm considering.  I don't have a Versys, but rather a naked SV.  I realize they're not the same bike.  But I sometimes find that on longer trips (i.e. slab) the naked SV gets to be tiring - especially during colder weather.  And while I do have heated gear, I sometimes wish I had better wind protection.  And considering how many conflicting threads I've read about whether or not GIVI and Nat'l Cycles actually improve the ride, I'm thinking about simply getting a better sport-tourer.

Thanks, and congrats on your new ride.
bomber

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17355

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 12:23:24 pm »

But sometimes the realization hits you... the category has changed for me.

Ohm yeah -- the kind of riding may not change, but the tool you desire to MAKE the riding, that CAN change -- a great deal . . .

Everyone I know with a Versys loves it -- it seems one of those scoots (like SVs, Stroms) that saw the planets align during the design phase -- good for you!

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 12:25:31 pm »

I went from a Hayabusa to a Buell Firebolt and never regretted it, ever.

Even when compared to my VFR, the Firebolt was still way more fun.  

I always think that someday I will get a bike with hard saddlebags, top case, barn door fairing, accessories galore, etc.  But every time I think about riding those bikes, I can't stop to wonder....why not just bring a nice little sportscar?  

Rogue
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 12:29:54 pm »

FWIW, and while I have a VERY hard time doing it, I've found that simply slowing down on the Interstate or in crappy weather greatly improves the fatigue I get on my naked SV. That's offset by the longer travel times, but 5 hours of 80mph is less enjoyable than 7 hours of 60mph.

FWIW... Shrug

Personally I would prefer the 5hrs @ 80mph on my naked Street Triple R.  60mph is akin to torture.  Lol

Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 12:40:33 pm »

....sometimes find that on longer trips (i.e. slab) the naked SV gets to be tiring - especially during colder weather.  And while I do have heated gear, I sometimes wish I had better wind protection.  And considering how many conflicting threads I've read about whether or not GIVI and Nat'l Cycles actually improve the ride, I'm thinking about simply getting a better sport-tourer.

I have been told that simply by lowering the handlebars to create a forward riding position along with an aerodynamic helmet, the windblast & buffeting on an unfaired motorcycle is offset.  

Rogue
wibornz
Phototagging???? Huh never heard of it. Sounds like it could be fun.

Reputation 20

Motorcycles: Concours 14, Ninja 650r and about 14 dirt bikes 10 or so atvs and six or seven other streebikes over the years.
GPS: Michigan
Miles Typed: 3196

My Photo Gallery

I do wheelies, get over it.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 01:20:37 pm »

For 40 bucks, you can add the Buel footpegs that lower the pegs about 1 inch and have a wider base.  You might be surprised at how well the versys does for wind protection.  Add the handguards and you are good.  The bike handles great and is just fun all around to ride.

TED
I have been married longer than I have not been married.  I have worked on my job longer than I have not worked at my job. 
Motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATVs, jeeps, and a wife....Where the hell is my money going again?  Life has been good to me
black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 02:37:13 pm »

it is starting to take over, you will not be able to resist............soon a KTM...... Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
AzItLies

Reputation -72

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 04:06:34 pm »

A dealer near my house has a 09, brand new with the color matched bags, for $5499. Thats a good deal, unfortunatly they don't seem to give good trade in deals. Did you trade the FJR in, or did you sell it outright?

Wow, that sounds like a steal! dang. I've seen an 09 blue one, new, for 5k. But with the bags, that's an additional savings too as they are usually almost 1k I think.

Didn't get much on the trade in, pretty much wholesale. But they gave me the '11 at 6100 so that has to be close to wholesale too.

Just out of curiosity, you're not going to miss the better fairings/protection of the FJR?

I ask because you're doing the opposite of what I'm considering.  I don't have a Versys, but rather a naked SV.  I realize they're not the same bike.  But I sometimes find that on longer trips (i.e. slab) the naked SV gets to be tiring - especially during colder weather.  And while I do have heated gear, I sometimes wish I had better wind protection.  And considering how many conflicting threads I've read about whether or not GIVI and Nat'l Cycles actually improve the ride, I'm thinking about simply getting a better sport-tourer.

Thanks, and congrats on your new ride.

Well, so far it's working out okay. Just put another 50 miles on, you certainly feel the cold air on your legs. And a strong wind did have me buffeting around a bit more.

My biggest reason for trading is that way way way most of my riding is around town. It's only going to be 2 or 3 times a year for a long trip.

Also teach the MSF ERC classes, and demo them on my own bike. The FJR is capable, but it's a chore, and I've come close to dropping it. That would be a lot of money to replace that plastic (mirrors etc), even with frame sliders.

SW Mototech makes a very nice crash bar set up for the Versys, integrates very well with it and looks "normal". So I'll be much less concerned about dropping it (at any time), hell, it'll just add character Wink

Have not done any Highway riding yet though... we'll see.

Ohm yeah -- the kind of riding may not change, but the tool you desire to MAKE the riding, that CAN change -- a great deal . . .

Everyone I know with a Versys loves it -- it seems one of those scoots (like SVs, Stroms) that saw the planets align during the design phase -- good for you!

Thanks Bomber Smile much appreciated. I agree the Versys is a great bike, kind of sad it's not more popular in the States. Seems our UK cousins have a different approach to motorcycling... if you know what I mean and I think you do Wink

I have been told that simply by lowering the handlebars to create a forward riding position along with an aerodynamic helmet, the windblast & buffeting on an unfaired motorcycle is offset.  

Agree, I *always* try to have a forward lean. The biggest reason is that the bike is so much more responsive to handlebar input. If emergency swerving was needed and your leaning on the bars it becomes much more difficult. And I have a full face Shoei and yer right, it's not bad at all.

it is starting to take over, you will not be able to resist............soon a KTM...... Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

hahahah not too sure on that one Man... ya never know!

Hey thanks everyone, it's great to hear peoples thoughts on this. I'm sure I'll miss the feej in some circumstances. But around town, the Versys is already feeling great. I could ride up a curb and park it if I needed to. You can turn around virtually anywhere. Actually the owners manual says the turning radius is 8.9 feet! isn't that a kick in the azz Wink I'm sure that's just straight up and walking it around, but still impressive.

Cheers All Smile

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal