Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: My Triumph's new stable mate, the Gladius  (Read 16451 times)

Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2012, 11:50:27 am »

My wife started riding last year on a old 95 Suzuki Savage. While that bike has a certain basic charm with its single-cylinder and belt-drive, I have been after her to get a more modern machine with better brakes.

The weekend before last I shared with her a 09 Suzuki Gladius for sale at a local dealer. All the other bikes I had suggested faded away as she focused on that Gladie. Suzuki only imported them to the US for one year, so they are a bit rare. She loved the color and design. I think Suzuki has some female engineers on staff because she usually likes them the best.

One week ago she went to have a look, and wouldn't you know she bought it even though it was only 41°F outside.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/Rincewind0011/Gladius/IMG_8776.jpg

So it's not a Street Triple or a Triumph, I'm ok with that. We have a number of nearby Suzuki dealers, while my main Triumph shop (45 mins away) has just recently closed. I have been riding the Gladie myself as time allows and I've developed an affinity for the thing.

The suspension and brakes are not the same level of performance as my StripleR, and the HP output and rev limiter are not as high either.  It has standard rather than inverted forks, but came with some nice fork protectors.  Where the Triumph has an all metal fuel tank and frame, the Galdie has a half-plastic/half-metal tank.  There are a lot of extra plastic bits such as covering part of the otherwise nice blue trellis frame. The tires are a size smaller than the Triumph, so they should be slightly less expensive. The handling on smooth roads is very good, though not as good as the Triumph when pushed harder.

There's something about that 650 vtwin that is downright charming. Where the triple whirls and whistles, the vtwin purrs and thrums quite nicely and even has a respectable redline at about 10,500. The seat is a bit wooden, but overall I'm impressed. It's too bad that Suzuki is no longer bringing these bikes to the US. I'm happy that one has landed in my garage, and I look forward to more rides on it. It seems that my wife can not get enough of it, and I'm quite happy that she has become so enthusiastic about riding bikes.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/Rincewind0011/Gladius/IMG_8787.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/Rincewind0011/Gladius/IMG_8783.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/Rincewind0011/Gladius/IMG_8792.jpg
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

caddydaddy

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
GPS: Harlingen, Texas USA
Miles Typed: 1301

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 11:56:08 am »

My Mom has that bike in the same color.  It's a fun little bike, good power and handling.  Not quite the punch of the 1050 on my Sprint, but still enough to be fun!

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
Doesn't speak for me

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: Honda 919
GPS: Eastern Western MA
Miles Typed: 649

My Photo Gallery

Motorcycles are dumb.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:58:34 am »

What a great looking bike!  Too bad the market is tough on nakeds here in the US as that is my favorite style.  

I wish my wife could understand why I ride and was at least somewhat interested.  You're a lucky man.

and congrats to your wife on her new bike, she has good taste.  

Advertisement

Giaka
UFO Identifier

Reputation -349

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: Versys Adventure
GPS: So Cal
Miles Typed: 5294

My Photo Gallery

LOL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 12:00:58 pm »

Sweet bike! I am one of the oddballs who actually thought the gladiolus was a decent looking bike.  If it had a different name or said Ducati on the side I am willing to bet it would have been nothing short of pure AWESOMENESS among the STN crowd.

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
                                      - William Shakespeare
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 12:01:42 pm »

You do realize this all just increases her hotness factor, don't you?? Thumbsup Bigok

I think it's a great looking little bike. Not big into blue bikes, but it's nice mixed with the white.

How's she doing with the power/performance jump? That's quite an upgrade over the Savage.

Nice pics. The last one looking down that SEPA farm road is awesome. Thumbsup

halloween over.
McRider

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: Kawasaki EX 650R, Kawasaki Klx 250s, Triumph Bonnie (68)
GPS: Southwest Washington
Miles Typed: 452

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 12:03:33 pm »

When I first saw that bike, I thought Suzuki had mis-named it.  It should have been called the Hideous.  Now I'm beginning to understand who it appeals to.  
JReazor

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: 2000 SV650, 2011 Sprint GT, 2007 C3
GPS: Drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
Miles Typed: 3319

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 12:17:57 pm »

A Suzuki twin and a Triumph triple? That sounds like an excellent combination.
Liquidsilver
Ozark Speed Junkee

Reputation 15

GPS: St. Louis, MO (Wildwood)
Miles Typed: 1107

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 12:46:15 pm »

Very cool!   Love to see the ladies out riding!   Mine rides dirt bikes with me, and I'm just as happy that she only rides street 2up with me... but that's just great!   Thumbsup

And that bike is just a restyled SV650 with a silly name... a great bike no matter who you are.  (unless you have small penis issues)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:50:03 pm by Liquidsilver » Logged

Smile

"Try not to ACT like a senior member"
rbwilliams2

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '06 Triumph Speed Triple
GPS: The Jersey Shore
Miles Typed: 484

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 01:11:01 pm »

You should consider upgrading the suspension. I had an SV-650... probably the same suspension. For a total of a couple hundred bucks, I put an eBay shock from an GSXR on it. Then Racetech springs and gold valves in the forks. Simply amazing!

That little bike was a joy to ride.
Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 01:16:52 pm »

Sweet bike! I am one of the oddballs who actually thought the gladiolus was a decent looking bike.  If it had a different name or said Ducati on the side I am willing to bet it would have been nothing short of pure AWESOMENESS among the STN crowd.

Last summer I test rode the Hypermotard 796, Dorsoduro 750, and Guzzi V7 back-to-back.  This SV engine very much reminds me of those Italian engines, particularly the Aprilia.  Also the styling is very similar to the new Monsters.  So I call it my Japanese Monster.  It's a very similar experience.

Middleweight sporting v-twins are fantastic street motors, even though they don't light the world on fire like my 675 or a 600 I4 sportbike.  But while they don't loft the wheel as quickly, they do pay back in character.  The sound on over-run is throaty and rich, and it provides more engine braking than my triple.

atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 01:18:55 pm »

Great bike, congrats!
I think the timing of that bike's release is what doomed it - just as the economy popped.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 01:25:24 pm »

You should consider upgrading the suspension. I had an SV-650... probably the same suspension. For a total of a couple hundred bucks, I put an eBay shock from an GSXR on it. Then Racetech springs and gold valves in the forks. Simply amazing!

That little bike was a joy to ride.

Thanks, the Gixxer shock is on my personal list of wants.  The OEM shock beats me up on poor roads.  I have joined SVrider to do some research.  Thumbsup
JReazor

Reputation 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 01:30:14 pm »

Thanks, the Gixxer shock is on my personal list of wants.  The OEM shock beats me up on poor roads.  I have joined SVrider to do some research.  Thumbsup

I did the whole Racetech deal up front and a Penske Sport shock out back. It turned my SV in to a whole different bike. You're welcome to take it for a spin if we can manage to end up in the same place at the same time at some point.
sportrider

Reputation 30

Miles Typed: 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 01:32:51 pm »

Nice ride!   Clap
Royal Tiger

Reputation -205

Motorcycles: See signature
GPS: Lehigh Valley, PA
Miles Typed: 614

My Photo Gallery

Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 01:35:44 pm »

I believe it only came in that one color.

It got blasted when it came out because it did nothing to improve the SV650N.  It might even be heavier.  It did test well with the female demographic.  Anything that gets the ladies out riding is a good thing!  I wish her lots of luck with it.  Bigsmile

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80
Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 01:50:56 pm »

I believe it only came in that one color.

It got blasted when it came out because it did nothing to improve the SV650N.  It might even be heavier.  It did test well with the female demographic.  Anything that gets the ladies out riding is a good thing!  I wish her lots of luck with it.  Bigsmile

In the US it is only one color, but in other parts of the world they have come in black as well as a nice funky green.

I believe the weight difference is slight, and likely to do with the steel trellis frame which replaced the SV's aluminum frame.  I plan on reading up to find the other differences.

I did the whole Racetech deal up front and a Penske Sport shock out back. It turned my SV in to a whole different bike. You're welcome to take it for a spin if we can manage to end up in the same place at the same time at some point.

Thanks, I bet it's super sweet.  I think it comes down to it being her bike, so suspension tweaks will not be for awhile.  She is insisting that I install blue LED ambiance-type lights ASAP.  Lol
JReazor

Reputation 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 02:01:37 pm »

In the US it is only one color, but in other parts of the world they have come in black as well as a nice funky green.

We got the all black one here as well. My brother had one for about 2 weeks.
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 03:53:47 pm »

Great bike, congrats!
I think the timing of that bike's release is what doomed it - just as the economy popped.

Suzuki gave up on the Gladius way too soon.

Rogue
Kootenanny
"Not That Good"

Reputation 33

Years Contributed: '09
Miles Typed: 4630

My Photo Gallery

Buellshit!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 04:39:18 pm »

Here's one I saw at a dealer last summer--looked good enough that I took a few pics:

E=MC2
nevinfs327

Reputation 28

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Motorcycles: Ducati Scrambler, W650, TU250
GPS: San Francisco
Miles Typed: 1271

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 04:50:45 pm »

I absolutely loved the black-on-black scheme they had.  Thumbsup

There's one just like this on my block - looks good...and definitely like a Monster copy.

Twin-powered bikes always feel more like traveling companions than appliances...maybe because mine have always been a little rough around edges with deeper vibrations, more noise, etc.  Not to knock the Triumph triple by any means - great to have (at least) one of each in the garage  Bigok
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal