Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: $ for 07 sprint st  (Read 4545 times)

falcon822

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 07 sprint st (abs)
Miles Typed: 59

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2007, 06:50:35 pm »

ok, i'm new here, well not really i've been lurking and learning the last year Crazy. i think i found a good deal on a 07 sprint st  (non abs) . i'm trading in my 02 concours with 19,000 mi . it has a backrest, bar risers, and a tank bra. the dealer will do $7000 and my bike, (out the door). since i'm buying a new bike, he said he would also give me a very good deal on new triumph gear.  what do you guys think? thanks  jim
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

TheRedOnesAreFaster
Had to go with a white motorcycle to slow things down a bit.

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT, CanAm Ryker Rally Edition
GPS: Battle Creek, MI
Miles Typed: 2036

My Photo Gallery

Rides the Maidencruiser

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 06:35:05 pm »

If it sounds good to you, do it.  I also sold a Connie (1999 w/ 67K) to get the Sprint and haven't regretted it yet.  Well, maybe when it rains- the Sprint doesn't keep the water off my face shield as well as the Concours.  But that's about it.

Silly Harley rider......Don't you know Tigers eat hogs?
vfrmarc

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 06 Triumph Sprint ST
Miles Typed: 54

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 09:10:18 pm »

At least your dealer has an 07.  I bought an 06 and am now adding the pieces parts that are stock on an 07 to make my 06 more 'older adult' comfy.  Of course I saved $2k off of list so I can afford to spend some money on the parts.

I think your connie is worth more than he is offering but then again I traded in an 04 VTX1300 (yes I tried cruisers and couldn't get past the loud pipes, and the absolute requirement to screw with everything b/c nothing was really right from the factory).  You watch the forums to see the delight in getting an extra 7-8 hp out of a V twin while spending $1,000s  Thumbsdown.  I'd rather just solve the problem with a simple doubling of the hp while losing 150 pounds of bike weight   Inlove.  And it isn't even broken in yet Bigsmile.

If you do the deal you will like the bike.
Advertisement

Chronic
Curvemiester

Reputation 1

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '14 KTM 1190 Adventure,'14 Moto Guzzi Griso, '02 Moto Guzzi "Scura"
GPS: Visalia, Central Cali.
Miles Typed: 472

My Photo Gallery

Gonzo Motorcyclist

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 03:33:40 pm »

A new '07 Sprint no ABS should be about $10,700 +/- OTD.....so, basically, they are giving you $3.7K for the Concours..... what do you think it's worth Headscratch

Selling a M/C can be a pain in the arse, but the convenience of trading it in has a price.

The Spice must flow...
St_rydr

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 04:37:22 pm »

Don't forget when you trade a bike in you save the tax off the trade in amount vs. paying full tilt to the govt. 3700 trade at 5% $185 bucks less in tax. No hassle to find a buyer. Was the easy decision for me and I got a fair trade. 2006 Sprint owner and proud.
vfrmarc

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 10:24:17 pm »

Don't forget when you trade a bike in you save the tax off the trade in amount vs. paying full tilt to the govt. 3700 trade at 5% $185 bucks less in tax. No hassle to find a buyer. Was the easy decision for me and I got a fair trade. 2006 Sprint owner and proud.

That's exactly what helped my trade-in versus sell outright decision.  The dealer didn't want any of my accessories on my VTX so I stripped it back to stock traded the bike in saving  $350 in sales tax and sold my accessories for $900.00.  The numbers added up to what I would have asked for the bike if I tried to sell it myself.  So I am happy.  Most connie riders don't have to accessorize them as much as you do a cruiser, but if you have anything saleable on the connie and the dealer doesn't want it - strip it off and sell it on one of the connie forums.
TheRedOnesAreFaster

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Rides the Maidencruiser

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 05:42:38 am »

...Most Connie riders don't have to accessorize them as much as you do a cruiser...

I hate to rain on your parade, but Connie guys do more customizing to their bikes than just about anyone else around.  Not so much cosmetic stuff, but you'll rarely see guys do more functional mods to a bike than Concours riders.  They're almost as bad as HD guys.

Check out http://www.concours.org if you don't believe me.

I'm a former member of that crowd, and I couldn't believe some of the stuff I saw.

Playinthestreet

Reputation -5

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: 03 Sprint ST
GPS: Stuck in Lodi
Miles Typed: 4124

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 06:01:56 am »

Is there a Connie out there without suspension upgrades? Smile   At least with Connies they respond well to the "massaging".  Sounds like the dealer was fair with you.
vfrmarc

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 10:37:24 pm »

Oops I stand corrected Embarassment.  I knew about the suspension mods Connies need and probably the seat and maybe genmar or helibars but I based my thoughts on the average cruiser in the VTX forum.  I had replaced the seat, added a windshield, saddle bags, sissy bar and I added floor boards b/c I hated the pegs on my 1300C.  That added up to $1600.  Many of the VTXers also add pipes and carb mods, which together can exceed $1000 on top of what guys like me spent.  Of course there is also the 300 tire mod which needs a new drive shaft/rear suspension, fender and a rear wheel that works with a 300 tire at $2500-4000.  So they can really go wild.  Basically they take a $8000 bike and double the investment Crazy

My point was that for some of the mods you can restore the bike to stock like I did and recover some of your costs.  Now if you make the 300 tire mod, well that involves body work and is much tougher to undo Thumbsdown

At any rate, I hope all of this helps the trade versus sell decision in some way. Smile
falcon822

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 07 sprint st (abs)
Miles Typed: 59

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 09:41:14 pm »

i know i could get more for the Connie on my own, but i don't like the hassle.  i just couldn't turn my back on the sprint  Inlove, so I'm picking up my new ride the first week of may Thumbsup. i can't wait, I'm like a little kid the week before Christmas!  Lol black is the fastest color, right?  
BBB

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: '05 R1200GS '08 K1200S
GPS: Welwyn Garden City, UK
Miles Typed: 266

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 09:50:51 am »

If I understand it correctly, if you sell a bike privately in the US you are obliged to pay the state an amount in sales tax based on what you sell your bike for?
vfrmarc

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 05:02:50 pm »

If I understand it correctly, if you sell a bike privately in the US you are obliged to pay the state an amount in sales tax based on what you sell your bike for?

Actually the buyer pays the sales tax when he/she goes to transfer the title into his/her name.

In some states, when you trade in a bike against a another bike you can deduct the value of your trade-in from the replacement/new bike's price.  Therefore you only pay taxes on the difference.  It is the same for autos.  The operative word here is SOME states.  I used to live in Michigan and they do not allow the trade-in difference.  In Michigan you pay the full sales tax on the new bike no matter whether you trade-in or not. Thumbsdown
TheRedOnesAreFaster

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Rides the Maidencruiser

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 05:46:48 pm »

I think the seller is supposed to claim the money from the sale on their income taxes.  But I don't know anybody who does.

God forbid Uncle Sam misses out on something.

vfrmarc

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 07:52:42 pm »

I think the seller is supposed to claim the money from the sale on their income taxes.  But I don't know anybody who does.

God forbid Uncle Sam misses out on something.

Crazy Let me see, I paid income tax on the money I used to buy the bike.  It loses value steadily over a period of years.  Then I sell it for much less than I paid for it and I'm supposed to pay income tax on the pittance I recovered in the sale?   EEK!  I guess I better give it away and take a deduction from my income instead. Headscratch
St_rydr

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 10:51:13 pm »

Uncle sam can kiss my white ass.  Twofinger
BBB

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: '05 R1200GS '08 K1200S
GPS: Welwyn Garden City, UK
Miles Typed: 266

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 05:32:43 am »

Thanks for the replies gents. I'm amazed! In the UK if I sell a bike privately there is no tax to be paid either by myself or the new owner. If a I trade a bike to a dealer and they sell it for a profit then they pay sales tax on the profit they make. No doubt they have plenty of ways of showing they had to do this and that to the bike before it was sold so that the actual "profit" is a lot lower Wink
TheRedOnesAreFaster

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Rides the Maidencruiser

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 06:03:18 am »

Crazy Let me see, I paid income tax on the money I used to buy the bike.  It loses value steadily over a period of years.  Then I sell it for much less than I paid for it and I'm supposed to pay income tax on the pittance I recovered in the sale?   EEK!  I guess I better give it away and take a deduction from my income instead. Headscratch

I'm not sure I was right, but I'd bet you a dollar (be sure to claim that!) that it's true.  Our government doesn't want to miss out on a shinny penny they think they're entitled to.

Case in point:
Last year my then-girlfriend's (now fiancé  EEK!) brother gave us his old pop-up camper.  No money changed hands.  Michigan is one of the states that doesn't charge sales tax on vehicles sold to relatives.  I wanted it registered to me, and told them it was given to me by my brother-in-law (I lied to them.  So sorry Wink).  BIL is not a close enough relative, so I had to place a value on the trailer and pay the tax.  Even though if I'd put in my "wife's" name, it would still be my (our) trailer, because I wanted my name on the title, I had to pay the tax.  Stupid.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal