Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Routes N' Rides to Arkansas 2012  (Read 8365 times)

zer0netgain

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
GPS: VA/TN
Miles Typed: 6397

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 05:28:42 pm »

Wish we were closer to help.  MacGyver says you need a new stator.  He asks if you ohm checked the stator to ground?

Sadly, I hard-wired in the stator when I changed the R/R (after testing stator output).  Without some sharp pins or a soldering iron, I can't readily check stator output or continuity.

And if I need a new stator, I can't just get one and have it installed....part has to be ordered.

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Stargzrgrl
Sticker Fiend aka HelloBorgieStar

Reputation 29

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '07 BMW F800ST, '77 Honda CB550F Super Sport, '08 Yamaha XT 250
GPS: Back in the mundane
Miles Typed: 2069

My Photo Gallery

Unicorns Fart Rainbows.

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 05:40:30 pm »

Sad

Try the blackbird forum, maybe someone local can help?

"It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw."
zer0netgain

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, 06:19:57 pm »

Sad

Try the blackbird forum, maybe someone local can help?

Already done.

I'm trying to see about getting to Eureka Springs tomorrow.  See what to do after that.

Advertisement

napper

Reputation 16

Years Contributed: '09, 10
Motorcycles: 2000 XR650L; 2000 VFR800
GPS: Glendale, AZ
Miles Typed: 890

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 10:06:01 pm »

IF ANYONE IS IN MEMPHIS TONIGHT (SUNDAY) I MAY NEED YOUR HELP.

Well, damn.  I decided against Tunica and just meandered through Virginia, Tennessee and Kentucky.  Stopped for the night in Smith's Grove, about 20 miles east of Bowling Green.

Martin K.
Glendale, AZ
zer0netgain

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2012, 10:11:32 pm »

The good news is that I've been contacted and will be hooking up with a couple other ST.N members so I'm not on my own tomorrow.  I gotta catch up to where they stopped, but if I can do that, it'll go smoother afterward....I hope.

I'll pick up a battery charger at Wal-Mart tomorrow....if I have to limp to ES on that, I can.  Once there, I'll have 2 days to figure out what is wrong or arrange a way to get the bike (and myself) home on Thursday.

MacGyver
MUST WIN TRACKDAY!!!

Reputation 37

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Ducati ST4
Miles Typed: 1364

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2012, 10:33:35 pm »

I have a charger with me... 

Do you want to be epic?

Buy a big ass car battery - cheap as possible at Walmart ...
Get some battery cables ---bolt on terminals---   Strap the battery to the pillion seat.. Good for a whole day of fun!   Iron butt rally approved!

"All I want to do is ride somewhere and watch the shadows climb..."
napper

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2012, 10:47:14 pm »

I've been on the road for eight days now and just today, I may have gotten it right.  

Garmin BaseCamp totally pissed me off last night.  After an hour, I still didn't have my route for today even close.  Grrrr.  Went to bed without a plan.  I slept quite well anyway, thank you.

Ended up just meandering through Virginia, Tennessee and Kentucky; planning about 50 miles at a time, taking some suggestions from locals I met at a gas stop.  I rode some roads this morning that rival destination roads back home but are just what country roads are here.  Awesome.  

After Cumberland Falls I hit the freeway and it felt a mile wide after the narrow country roads I had been on.  The VFR got a few compliments today, so she was feeling frisky.  I had been moving around enough throughout the day I was still feeling pretty fresh (without any advil?), so I was able to just tuck and click of some good slab miles to end the day.

Easily one of the best days I've had on two wheels.

I'm about 20 miles east of Bowling Green tonight (not a cold beer to be had).  Looks like about 400 miles to ES tomorrow.  See some of you then and the rest Tuesday.

Ride safe.

Martin K.
Glendale, AZ
napper

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2012, 10:48:18 pm »

The good news is that I've been contacted and will be hooking up with a couple other ST.N members so I'm not on my own tomorrow.  I gotta catch up to where they stopped, but if I can do that, it'll go smoother afterward....I hope.

I'll pick up a battery charger at Wal-Mart tomorrow....if I have to limp to ES on that, I can.  Once there, I'll have 2 days to figure out what is wrong or arrange a way to get the bike (and myself) home on Thursday.

Good news.  Good luck.  Hope to see you tomorrow.

Martin K.
Glendale, AZ
Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Bloomington, IL
Miles Typed: 1764

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2012, 11:19:08 pm »

Packed and ready to roll early tomorrow.  Should be at the hotel early evening.  See you then.

Region 4 Meet 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 | CSTN 07 | ST.N National 08, 10, 12 | Region 4 Track Day 09
zer0netgain

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2012, 03:28:56 am »

I have a charger with me... 

Do you want to be epic?

Buy a big ass car battery - cheap as possible at Walmart ...
Get some battery cables ---bolt on terminals---   Strap the battery to the pillion seat.. Good for a whole day of fun!   Iron butt rally approved!

That certainly IS a thought....I'd have to find a way to ensure it CAN NOT come loose or shift off the seat.

I have my homemade "jumper cables" (leftover house wiring...heavy gauge...one red wire, one black).  Made those because standard jumpers are too bulky and clumsy to use on MC batteries.

MacGyver
MUST WIN TRACKDAY!!!

Reputation 37

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Ducati ST4
Miles Typed: 1364

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 08:13:27 am »

That certainly IS a thought....I'd have to find a way to ensure it CAN NOT come loose or shift off the seat.

I have my homemade "jumper cables" (leftover house wiring...heavy gauge...one red wire, one black).  Made those because standard jumpers are too bulky and clumsy to use on MC batteries.
For all things considered, you can remove the original battery and use the space for the cable connections.  Buy what ever 12 volt battery with more than 500 cranking amps will fit.  Get a set of 4 wrachet straps and make sure its nestled against the top case.

"All I want to do is ride somewhere and watch the shadows climb..."
zer0netgain

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 10:40:40 am »

For all things considered, you can remove the original battery and use the space for the cable connections.  Buy what ever 12 volt battery with more than 500 cranking amps will fit.  Get a set of 4 wrachet straps and make sure its nestled against the top case.

I'm going with an easier option.  Tried to get to a Wal-Mart...only got half way before it was low enough to stop and check.  Never started back up.  No stores near by.  Checked around and I'm renting a pickup truck.  Get a ramp and some straps, and I won't have to worry about the battery.

I could get a day rental to run about to try the car battery idea, but if it didn't work, I'd be right back where I started.  I even thought of renting an econobox and just come back with my truck and trailer, but station owner wouldn't go for that and there is nothing within pushing distance.  A day or so...maybe, but not the time needed to come back with my equipment.

As it is, I'm lucky that the rental company had someone in the area to pick me up and a truck is already available.   I might be en route to ES around noon.

napper

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2012, 06:52:15 pm »

Crossed into Missouri on the ferry at Dorena.  Naptime in Pocshantus AR now.  Expect to get to ES around  10:00.   

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Martin K.
Glendale, AZ
napper

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2012, 10:53:38 pm »

About 50 miles out.  Stopped to  wash headlight and face shield

Martin K.
Glendale, AZ
napper

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2012, 12:23:44 am »

Checked on at Rodeway.  Enjoying beverages at The Lumberyard.

Martin K.
Glendale, AZ
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal