Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Evap cooling vests and leather?  (Read 5446 times)

Hunter
'twixt the corn rows

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '03 ZX-9 modded & '86 V65 Magna original
GPS: 5000 rounds and a dozen claymores down a dirt road, SC
Miles Typed: 561

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2012, 11:09:11 am »

Like the title says, doe's it work or am I asking for a mess.

This thread has me thinking https://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,72720.0.html "Too hot" and the post referring to these vests seems like a good idea for me to expand my gear and increase my riding season. In SC summer temps usually hover around 100 for the duration of July, August and September with high humidity as well. Generally I just park the bike when it's like this as it's just no fun wearing full leathers. I've got mesh gear but I seldom to never wear it as I feel too unprotected so it mostly just hangs in the closet. I either wear a 1 piece perfed suit or a 2 piece zip together perfed suit and try to do any riding before 10 am. Would adding a cooling vest make it better?

I guess what I'm asking is wearing a vest similar to putting on a soaking wet t shirt or does the vest retain the h2o bleeding it out as it dries. I really don't want wet leathers and leather dye all over my skin like some retarded tattoo gone wrong.

Thanks to owners of these vests for any input, the websites aren't very clear on how they work in this regard.

http://store.mm411.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=1006&ParentCat=228

quote courtesy of atadaskew "Man card?  MAN CARD?  My Vespa key is on a Hello Kitty key chain.
Man f-in card.  F.     AAAARRRR!"
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

zer0netgain

Reputation 32

Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
GPS: VA/TN
Miles Typed: 6433

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 11:36:31 am »

If your leathers have vents, I'm sure it would work to some capacity, but I'd think they work much more effectively with textile gear.

Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 11:38:37 am »

I have one of those "cooling vests" that you wet.

It works up to a point.  It works really well with a mesh jacket but I wouldn't wear it with perforated Leather as this type of material does NOT flow enough air for the evaporative process in the vest to take place.  On a really hot, dry day, the wet vest dry up within an hour or less and you're left with a HOT vest!  

Rogue
Advertisement

Hunter
'twixt the corn rows

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 12:09:01 pm »

Rogue,

How much use does your vest get? Is it part of your daily gear grab or just hang in the closet?

I've got one of those cooling bandannas that you soak in ice water for a half hour but I find it much the same in that in about an hour you have a clammy warm damp bandanna on your neck. Admittedly it does work great for about 30 or 45 minutes. If the vest is more of the same I think my money would be better spent buying more Under Armour Heat Gear.

quote courtesy of atadaskew "Man card?  MAN CARD?  My Vespa key is on a Hello Kitty key chain.
Yankee Dog

Reputation 18

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 12 Tiger 800 ..................... 05.Ural.GearUp ........................................ 05.BMW.F650GS
GPS: Decatur, AL
Miles Typed: 2398

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 01:31:06 pm »

The missus and I use them. I think they work quite well. Perfect no, because after all hot is hot. the vest is exactly like putting on a wet tshirt. except that it last longer. Now I would not get the full sleeve version in your like, I would just go for a vest.

I also believe you should try to put your hands on one first. The missus has a Joe Rocket brand. Her's works great. You can feel the little beads that hold water. Mine is an off brand from eBay. You cant feel the beads and it doesnt work near as well.

question???  what makes you think the underarmor stuff which is basically another layer will work better than a wet tshirt.  

ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 01:35:52 pm »

Ice in a Camelbak. Topped off with ice it cools your back nicely and steady sipping helps hydration.

All you need. IMO. I don't ride in Death Valley either, but I've done some heat on my C10 and as long as I have that ice cold water available all the time,
I'm good.

halloween over.
Hunter
'twixt the corn rows

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 02:07:46 pm »

question???  what makes you think the underarmor stuff which is basically another layer will work better than a wet tshirt.  

The UA heat gear works great. It goes on dry and while it gets wet with sweat that it wicks off you it cools you in the process. I wasn't a believer at first, listening to a buddy but after trying it, it definitely works better than a wet t shirt. I use the compression long sleeve version and it makes getting into and out of the leathers a lot easier as well. The compression boxer shorts help, along with some Gold Bond Green, but I would prefer full length but I've never taken the time to order them.

My usual ride gear is FF helmet, 2 piece perfed leathers (zip together Dainese), 7 plate spine protector, A*'s SP2 gloves and Sidi Vert boots. I can feel a big temperature difference with the heat gear added versus going with out. That said when it's around 100 I just can't enjoy myself so I don't ride. Either I'm too chicken shit or paranoid to trust mesh gear with my hide that I find myself riding like I'm on egg shells with mesh on which is distracting and I think dangerous. When I'm wearing full gear I'm locked in on the bike and the road and enjoying the mental peace it brings me.

I'll order the vest and try it out with the mesh gear and see how it works. I'll probably ride like grandpa but at least I'll be out if it works. I've wasted more than $50 on other stuff before so if it doesn't work it'll just go closet riding.

Con,
Been thinking of adding a camelback but they don't work well (at all?) with FF hemets, so I just try to stop a lot and drink water. I figure as long as I'm still sweating I'm *reasonably* safe from dehydration.

tomek

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 3
GPS: 60527
Miles Typed: 1849

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 02:28:02 pm »

Cooling vest with textile mesh type of gear works very well , up to the point of course .

Cooling vest under  even perforated leather is useless . I have a top shelf race suit , kangaroo , perforated , vented stretch panels . I tried vest soaked in the cooler during one particularly hot track day - I did not work .
If you insists on wearing leathers on hot days you are better off without one .

Underwear designed for hot weather works much better then cotton t-shirt , although you have to wait couple of minutes before it kicks in - or your body produces enough sweat .

Fast bikes save lives

If you are not sliding you are not riding
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 02:33:10 pm »

Con,
Been thinking of adding a camelback but they don't work well (at all?) with FF hemets, so I just try to stop a lot and drink water. I figure as long as I'm still sweating I'm *reasonably* safe from dehydration.

Quit thinking about it and do it. Get a real branded CamelBak, one with the 90 bite valve. It should be no problem to sneak it in over the top of a a FF helmet. I didn't have a problem with it when wearing an EXO700 on a 10 day tour. If ya have to angle the thing in and bite sideways on the valve, do whatever you have to.

On my last trip to WVA, I wore my flip-up Multitec. Even better. I'm telling ya that once-every-5-minute sip/mouthfull works wonders. It works much better than the stop every hour and drink a bottle thing.
There's something about that slow, steady, nonstop replenishment of cold fluids in small amounts that really works. After the initial water/ice fill, I don't even fill with water anymore. I just add crushed ice from the soda machines at Sheetz or wherever.

Sometimes it's nice to take a big old mouthful and rinse and spit too. Cagers behind ya will just love that.  Lol

halloween over.
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 06:19:22 pm »

Rogue,

How much use does your vest get? Is it part of your daily gear grab or just hang in the closet?

I've got one of those cooling bandannas that you soak in ice water for a half hour but I find it much the same in that in about an hour you have a clammy warm damp bandanna on your neck. Admittedly it does work great for about 30 or 45 minutes. If the vest is more of the same I think my money would be better spent buying more Under Armour Heat Gear.

I used it a lot at first but got tired of needing to wet it every hour or so on a hot day.  So I just left it at home and now it just sits.  The ice in a Camelback with constant hydration is probably better for the same hour of use.  After that, the ice melts and you got warm water.  The worst part of the wet vest is when it dries up it's the last thing you want wrapped around you because it's HOT!  At that point all I can think about is pulling over and taking it off!

Rogue
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 06:35:04 pm »

I wear a cooling vest when I ride in SoCal/Arizona in the summer, but I have textile gear. I don't think I'd wear it under leather (even perf'ed) because my leathers are much more fitted than my textiles and I think the extra bulk of the cooling vest would add more warmth than it would take away.  (FWIW, I have ridden through SoCal/AZ in July in full leathers -- no perf -- and just pouring water over my head worked.  I was pretty miserable, but it was doable).

I also have a Camelbak with the 90 degree bite valve and have had no issues with my FF helmet.  I run it up under the chin bar.

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
sodapop6620

Reputation 35

Motorcycles: ZREX
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 1666

My Photo Gallery

Screw Christmas

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 07:54:38 am »

Con,

I have made mine a permanent part of my riding gear since 96.  I have not had an issue with not being able to drink from the tube.  I have the tube going over my right shoulder and use my left hand to get the tube under the chin bar and drink.  When I ride with others and we stop for a break they tend to go for water and I head for the bathroom.

It does make a big difference.  When I am traveling and stop for lunch I ask for a glass of water, to taste it, if it is good I ask for a picture of water so I can fill my bladder.  I have had some great faces made at me when I have said that. Lol

Wildcard Tag http://tinyurl.com/69dfzaa   Half my lies aren't true.

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on. Dean Martin
bikerfish1100
Can't reMember

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2001 R1100S, 2016 R1200GS 3-Black, 1978 R100S BMW project bike
GPS: Northern Front Range, CO
Miles Typed: 1751

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 10:22:46 am »

Hunter:
have JR's Sahara vest. great item, much better than competitor's i've seen. works great in hot dry climate, not so well in humid weather (better than nothing, but not exceptionally so)- which means if you mostly ride close to home, don't bother with that, jsut go for the well iced Camelbak. and yes, they work fine with a FF helmet, and do more to keep you safe (alert, hydrated, etc) than you migt imagine.
and- your full summer mesh gear offers great protection for street riding, while providing more comfy temp regulation than perf'd leathers. i have both- the leathers rarely come out of the closet, while the mesh is a constant.
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 01:27:20 pm »

I run the 90 bitevalve OVER the top of my chinbar when I wear the FF, which is rare anymore, mostly use the modular.
Before my first LONG ride a few years ago, a couple experienced riders told me to get the Camelbak before the trip, which I already had one for power-kiting
when I went to the beach. The beach was hot, windy, and I used to get very sweaty and thirsty when wrangling a large kite, and it was damn near impossible to get
a drink of water without grounding the kite first. Camelbak solved that problem.

Before using the 'Bak on a bike, I used to remember getting tired after a couple hours on the road, even with stops and drinking water or Gatorade.

I was really AMAZED at how much the constant steady hydration from the 'Bak reduced overall fatigue when riding long days. 150+200 miles on the road used to be a LONG
and tiring day without the Camelbak. I can do about 500 now before I'm ready to bag the bike for the day. The LD riders that taught me this were right, 100%.

halloween over.
[email protected]

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2012 Triumpth Bonneville t100
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2021, 12:22:45 am »

I wore a wet vest under a perforated leather jacket going through Death Valley last August in 118 temperature F.  It felt like I was sitting in front of an air conditioner.  It lasts about two hours.  I pack a large thick plastic bag that I can use to re-soak the vest.  The idea was to find water at a gas station for this.  Instead I stopped for lunch and asked the waitress for a pitcher of ice water and poured that in the plastic bag.  This August I am doing a similar trip and will use the wet vest and perforated leather jacket again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal