Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Bikes for short people  (Read 45118 times)

Giaka
UFO Identifier

Reputation -349

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Versys Adventure
GPS: So Cal
Miles Typed: 5294

My Photo Gallery

LOL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 10:29:05 pm »

People (well, some people) describe the thumper as too... uh... thumpy. Smile Lots of vibration. Not your experience?

The thumpyness is way better and easier to tolerate than the high frequency vibrations my Versys has. I would take the thumper or a V-twin over a parallel twin any day.

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
                                      - William Shakespeare
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 01:19:32 am »

I would take the thumper or a V-twin over a parallel twin any day.

Good thing I was around to take the parallel twin Ninjette off your hands!  'Course you ended up with my thumper and we all know how THAT turned out... Crazy

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
medjen

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 2007 Ninja 250
GPS: Mitten Land
Miles Typed: 68

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 05:30:26 pm »

Went and sat on the F650GS today. It was low enough that I could get the balls of my feet firmly down on both sides Thumbsup Didn't ride it, since the dealer is in the middle of a busy section of traffic, and (in all honesty) I don't think I have the experience to get much out of a test ride at this point. Bigsmile The previous owner had added a bunch of farkles that actually added to the appeal of the bike. Minimal miles and looked like it was straight out of the box. Price was super-reasonable, just not sure if I want to spend THAT much on my first-next bike.

Also went and sat on a GS500F. Approximately the same position seat hight-wise as the F650GS, at less than half the price.

Both bikes were a good weight, so I didn't mind the lack of flat-footedness. So, both are possibles. The GS500F is a lower price point, which is appealing, while I feel like the BMW could possibly be a longer-term bike... like, I'd maybe want to replace the Suzuki sooner. Hard to say at this point...

I also sat on a CBR250R and a little Ninja, just for comparison purposes, and was surprised that my "reach" wasn't any better. Balls of the feet and no better. Of the two, I liked the Honda a bit better, but if I can get a bit more power with similar fitment, I might keep the 250s lower on the list at this point.
Advertisement

cultureslayer

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '89 ex250
GPS: NC USA
Miles Typed: 5797

My Photo Gallery

furry ninja

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 06:14:28 pm »

Went and sat on the F650GS today. It was low enough that I could get the balls of my feet firmly down on both sides Thumbsup Didn't ride it, since the dealer is in the middle of a busy section of traffic, and (in all honesty) I don't think I have the experience to get much out of a test ride at this point. Bigsmile The previous owner had added a bunch of farkles that actually added to the appeal of the bike. Minimal miles and looked like it was straight out of the box. Price was super-reasonable, just not sure if I want to spend THAT much on my first-next bike.

Also went and sat on a GS500F. Approximately the same position seat hight-wise as the F650GS, at less than half the price.

Both bikes were a good weight, so I didn't mind the lack of flat-footedness. So, both are possibles. The GS500F is a lower price point, which is appealing, while I feel like the BMW could possibly be a longer-term bike... like, I'd maybe want to replace the Suzuki sooner. Hard to say at this point...

I also sat on a CBR250R and a little Ninja, just for comparison purposes, and was surprised that my "reach" wasn't any better. Balls of the feet and no better. Of the two, I liked the Honda a bit better, but if I can get a bit more power with similar fitment, I might keep the 250s lower on the list at this point.

The seat was lower on the old ninja 250s.  Did you sit on a new one?  If you want something cheap to learn with and beat on the old 250s are great because you can buy one and sell it for almost what you paid a year later.  Same for the ninja 500s.

Lauren
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15163

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2012, 08:00:06 pm »

Didn't ride it, since the dealer is in the middle of a busy section of traffic, and (in all honesty) I don't think I have the experience to get much out of a test ride at this point. Bigsmile

I know that I'm unique in this practice, but I have only test-ridden one bike out of the 10 that I've ever bought and never been unhappy with any of my choices. Hell, I bought the BMW 1150 GS after having only sat on it in the parking lot and not even started the engine  Bigsmile

Having said that, if you can get in a test ride, go for it!  Bigok

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
still kickin

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: Honda CBR600RR & BMW F800ST
Miles Typed: 205

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2012, 08:53:45 pm »

Remember that BMW service and parts departments think $1000 is pocket change

One example-- a friend just bought the new BMW GTL1600. Got it home-next morning taking it off the centerstand and I bet you know what happened next! It fell over into his car and knocked the bikes rear view mirror off! Parts cost $2000!!!!!!!!!!!Damn
hovmaven
I'm Mr. Happy

Reputation 226

Years Contributed: '06
Motorcycles: Recalculating. . ..
Miles Typed: 3717

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2012, 08:57:39 pm »

Good thing I was around to take the parallel twin Ninjette off your hands!  'Course you ended up with my thumper and we all know how THAT turned out... Crazy

Yes, yes we do. . ..  In Iowa.    

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/hovmaven/013-1.jpg

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 03:00:42 am by hovmaven » Logged

I survived the 2007 VFR Hostage Crisis.   
My IBA number is still lower than DNA's.
NoVa First Responder.
bluepoof

Reputation 111

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 02:34:11 am »

I know that I'm unique in this practice, but I have only test-ridden one bike out of the 10 that I've ever bought and never been unhappy with any of my choices.

Yes, but you're 7000 feet tall and never have to worry about whether you'll actually be able to physically ride the bike once you've bought it.  Lol

And hovmaven....you know better than to mention that bike without blessing your post!!

www.bluepoof.com
hovmaven
I'm Mr. Happy

Reputation 226

Years Contributed: '06
Motorcycles: Recalculating. . ..
Miles Typed: 3717

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2012, 03:01:23 am »

And hovmaven....you know better than to mention that bike without blessing your post!!

Fixed.   Wink

I survived the 2007 VFR Hostage Crisis.   
My IBA number is still lower than DNA's.
NoVa First Responder.
Papa Lazarou

Reputation 61

Years Contributed: '09
GPS: Sussex
Miles Typed: 9253

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2012, 08:52:32 am »

Another suggestion: Harley Sportster Low.

The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead
naustin

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '16 FJR
GPS: Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1411

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2012, 09:35:53 am »

Ergos, prices, features, and lots of other details are all too easy to focus on and over analyze.  #1 best reason to buy a bike is because when you look at it, you just WANT to ride it!

Go with the one that gives you that feeling. Bigok

medjen

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2012, 02:55:52 pm »

Thanks everyone, for your continued advice.

After a Very Scary Incident in traffic yesterday evening, from which I'm currently sporting a colorful collection of bruises, I'm putting the bike purchase on hold.

The Rebel and parking lots will make up my riding for the foreseeable future.
bluepoof

Reputation 111

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2012, 03:14:28 pm »

Oh no!  I hope you're OK (I'm assuming so since you only mentioned bruises).  It sounds scary!  

Nothing wrong with parking lots.  I stuck to parking lots for nearly 6 months after getting my license before venturing out into the neighborhood streets.   Bigok

www.bluepoof.com
medjen

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2012, 03:36:01 pm »

Oh no!  I hope you're OK (I'm assuming so since you only mentioned bruises).  It sounds scary!  

Nothing wrong with parking lots.  I stuck to parking lots for nearly 6 months after getting my license before venturing out into the neighborhood streets.   Bigok

I'm fine. Smile I have a huge bruise on my right thigh/hip and a couple on my left thigh/shin. The Rebel is a freaking tank, and despite being almost upside down in a ditch, seems none the worse for wear.

But yes, terrifying, since that ditch was on the wrong side of the road across two lanes of traffic. Embarassment I misjudged an off-camber right handed turn, target-fixated on the minivan coming at me, and wound up on the ground on the shoulder. Eesh. I felt like I was going to throw up for a good portion of last night and scared the hell out of my husband who was riding out in front of me and must've had a heart attack when suddenly I wasn't behind him.

But, two hours of parking lot practice this morning went a long way to restoring my frayed nerves. The hubs is a patient man: he rode the Rebel to the lot and then spent some time devising MSF-esque drills to start shoring up my shaky spots.  Inlove

I'm happy to hear that you spent 6 months in parking lots. I'm feeling a bit like I need to be riding the Motorcyclists' Short Bus. :P I'm not used to not being good at things right away and this is the first new "skill" I've tried to learn in what seems like forever.

It's a little frustrating, since here in Michigan our riding season is so short. But, I'll be happy with parking lots til I'm handling the bike like it's second nature and bored out of my mind if it means fewer near-death experiences. If I don't make it back to riding out in the Real World until next spring, so be it.
sfalexi

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2010 ST1300
GPS: Columbia, SC
Miles Typed: 500

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2012, 04:12:14 pm »

But yes, terrifying, since that ditch was on the wrong side of the road across two lanes of traffic. Embarassment I misjudged an off-camber right handed turn, target-fixated on the minivan coming at me, and wound up on the ground on the shoulder. Eesh. I felt like I was going to throw up for a good portion of last night and scared the hell out of my husband who was riding out in front of me and must've had a heart attack when suddenly I wasn't behind him.
Glad it only turned out to be bruises!  But much like anything else, do a little reflecting on what you did wrong, so you know what NOT to do again.  Don't be that person that makes the same mistake over and over.
I'm happy to hear that you spent 6 months in parking lots. I'm feeling a bit like I need to be riding the Motorcyclists' Short Bus. :P I'm not used to not being good at things right away and this is the first new "skill" I've tried to learn in what seems like forever.
Don't worry about taking the time to REALLY work up your skills.  I didn't spend 6 months, but if I remember correctly, I spent about 2 months of every day after work, going to a local bank parking lot (1/4 mile away, back entrance off the residential street I was on) after they were closed and working on u-turns, emergency stops, weaving through parking spaces, and circles (starting with a big circle and going tighter and tighter and tighter).  About 1 - 2 hours a day during the weekdays.  After doing that, taking 3 experienced rider courses (all on different bikes as I got new ones), one military sportbike rider course (have a second one coming up in August), and just riding my own ride, I feel safe saying I'm a better rider than your average joe that you'll see on the weekend.

Alexi
medjen

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2012, 05:21:09 pm »

Glad it only turned out to be bruises!  But much like anything else, do a little reflecting on what you did wrong, so you know what NOT to do again.  Don't be that person that makes the same mistake over and over.

Oh, definitely quite a bit of reflecting, followed by a plan of attack to help address the weak points. I do NOT want to do anything like that ever again.

Ever.
Giaka
UFO Identifier

Reputation -349

My Photo Gallery

LOL

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2012, 12:39:30 am »

A decent enough bike but heavy for what it is and underpowered for a 500 (not much more power than a Ninja 250).
Posted on: 08-07-2012, 21:38:14

Good thing I was around to take the parallel twin Ninjette off your hands!

250s don't count. The moving mass of parts is so small it cant vibrate.  Lol

- William Shakespeare
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2012, 11:37:22 am »

The thumpyness is way better and easier to tolerate than the high frequency vibrations my Versys has. I would take the thumper or a V-twin over a parallel twin any day.
Different strokes for different folks as they say.  
Thumpers always feel like they're trying to shake themselves apart to me.
I'm rather amazed at how smooth my Ninja 650 is at highway speed.  As my other bike is a BMW K1200, I feel qualified to judge smoothness.
Oh, I do have aftermarket bars w/ bar-end weights on the Ninja...

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
Giaka
UFO Identifier

Reputation -349

My Photo Gallery

LOL

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2012, 12:33:53 pm »

I'm rather amazed at how smooth my Ninja 650 is at highway speed.  As my other bike is a BMW K1200, I feel qualified to judge smoothness.
Oh, I do have aftermarket bars w/ bar-end weights on the Ninja...

You can do about an hour and a half on the Versys and your hands will be numb from the high frequency vibs. I guess the newer V is better?? but the old one was plagued with high freq vib issues, noisy plastics and parts falling off or coming loose. I like my Versys but I wouldn't buy another one. Oh and yeah, I know what smoothness is, I mostly ride an ST1300.  Wink

- William Shakespeare
Papa Lazarou

Reputation 61

Years Contributed: '09
GPS: Sussex
Miles Typed: 9253

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2012, 03:09:03 pm »

You can do about an hour and a half on the Versys and your hands will be numb from the high frequency vibs. I guess the newer V is better?? but the old one was plagued with high freq vib issues, noisy plastics and parts falling off or coming loose. I like my Versys but I wouldn't buy another one. Oh and yeah, I know what smoothness is, I mostly ride an ST1300.  Wink

Stuff smoothness. Get a Matchless 500 Jampot.  Bigsmile

The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal