Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: My Rick Mayer rant  (Read 17596 times)

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15110

My Photo Gallery

« on: August 28, 2012, 07:04:55 pm »

This is long, but I'm really ticked off about it and want to share my story  Mad2

It all started when I was getting ready to move from CA to NJ in 2009. My WCRM friends were kind enough to pool some funds and get me a RMC saddle as a going away present  Inlove  They're so sweet! So Dan and I made an appointment with RM, rode up to his shop and had a seat made. I figured that by bringing in the bike itself (my 1150GS) Iíd be sure to get a good fit. I wasnít thrilled with the ride home, but chalked that up to the seat needing to break in. Then I moved to NJ where it was winter and I didnít ride the GS for a long time and when I did, the seat was about equal to my old stock seat. For $319, I expected at least something to change. I guess technically it did: his seat design was perfect for allowing water to pool under my butt while riding in the rain.

I started communications with RMC early that next summer. I explained the delay and I got nothing but ďdonít worry about it!Ē and ďweíll make it right!Ē. If you follow the communications below, you can see where numerous times I was assured that the time passing was not an issue and that if they couldnít make it better, I could get a full refund.

Long, frustrating and stressful story later, I have most of my money back and a nice, comfy stock seat. But I had to fight for what I did manage to get. I did some research and found that while RMC can make a very good seat, if you have to go back for anything, or there is any deviation from the status quo, youíre screwed. As one ADVer put it, itís like playing the lottery: you either get a perfect seat the first time and ride away happy, or youíre screwed.

I went through my emails and collated them into this little digest. Where applicable I put in notes on non-email events.  

Posted on: August 28, 2012, 04:04:44 PM

Date       (From)   Content                                                         
08-01-09      Purchase seat from Rick Mayer. I rode the bike to his shop for an in-house appointment and fitting. Didnít feel all that great on the ride back home, but chalked it up to it needing to break in.                                                         

08-28-09   Moved to NJ. Not a lot of miles on the new seat; still not happy, but still not enough miles for ďbreak inĒ                                                         

06-14-10      Finally take long ride on BMW (600? miles). Not happy with the seat. Contact Rick Mayer, explain the situation. He has no problems with the time passed and suggests that I send it in for an adjustment. Delay in acting on this due to RM's busy summer schedule and an upcoming trip of our own.                                                          

12-22-10      Bike is down for repairs, proposed sending seat to RM for adjustment                                                         

01-04-11   (Colleen)   Hi Rick - While living in SF in August of  '09 I rode in for a seat on my GS 1150. I've put 3,000 miles on the bike with the new seat and I have to say that I'm not happy with it. I am getting about the same mileage as the stock seat, even a little less, before I start to "feel it". I now live near NYC - can you please tell me what my options are? Phone calls aren't good for me - email is better. Thank you!                                                         

01-07-11   (Tessa)   HI Colleen - Iím sorry to hear that!  We are happy to perform an adjustment.  Please send the seat to our office at your convenience along with the form on our website called ďRequest a  Seat AdjustmentĒ and a check for $25 to cover return shipping.  We do adjustments all year round except for the months of July and December.  We should have it in our shop about 10 days.                                                         

01-07-11   (Colleen)   Thank you for your reply! Quick question before I send it in: how will Rick know what to adjust? I would have thought that with me sitting on the bike for him that he'd have all of the information that he needed. Or maybe he just replaces something? Either way, I'd like to be happy with it, since I've heard so many good things from other people. I'll be sure to include the form when I send it in, which may be sometime this month or next. Thank you!                                                         

01-12-11   (Tessa)   The form has a spot for you to describe what you donít like and what you would like to have changed.  You can also include any other information you feel might be pertinent, such as measurements or photographs.                                                         

02-06-11   (Colleen)   Thank you for your reply. The seat is on its way (if it hasn't already arrived). The bike is not at my residence, so I had the person working on it mail in the seat. Unfortunately, I can't recall which address I gave you to mail the seat back to. When the adjustment is done, can you be sure to mail it to: (address removed). I expect I'll hear from you when Rick starts on the seat, but I wanted to be sure that you had this information. Thank you!                                                         

02-08-11   (Rick)   Please fax a change my order form (attached) for the address change, if it is different than where we originally shipped the saddle.  E mail is not reliable for this sort of thing.                                                         

02-15-11   (Tessa)   Dear Customer - This email is to let you know that we plan on shipping your seat tomorrow, Wednesday February 16, 2011.  The work on your seat is approximately 90% complete.  If something unforeseen should arise and your seat does not ship out tomorrow, it will go Friday of this week. At this point we expect to be shipping your seat via USPS as we have been having some problems using FedEx.  Please be on the lookout for a shipping notification directly from either FedEx or USPS.                                                         

02-15-11   (Colleen)   Hi Tessa - As I mentioned before, the seat needs to go to the following address: (address removed)                                                         

02-21-11   (Rick)   Colleen - The subject line of your e mail still said shipment confirmation-that would typically end up in our spam folder. I may have never seen it, but you are correct-just because  you hit ďsendĒ doesnít mean necessarily the other party received it. The label has already been generated for the Verona address, is there no one there to receive it? We donít do address change by e mail, so if in fact you need it to go to PA, please complete the attached and I will cancel the NJ label and generate another for the PA address.                                                

02-21-11   (Colleen)   Well, I'd written to you twice asking you to ship it to the following address, but apparently emails don't get far from the computer there. Thanks anyway, and I'll hope that the seat adjustment works...                                                         

02-27-11      Seat shipped back to NJ                                                         

07-17-11      Put on another 1,000 miles; seat still not comfortable                                                

07-19-11   (Colleen)   Hi Tessa. I was wondering what my options are now, as I've put over 1,000 miles on the readjusted seat and am still not content with how it feels. After 300 miles I can feel distinct pressure points, the same ones that I felt before. I realize that it has been a while since this last adjustment, but as I mentioned in a previous email, the bike has been down for repairs and this is the first time I've been really able to put some consecutive miles on it. I know that Rick said that he ran into trouble because of the heating element within the seat. Anyway, I'm not sure what to do next. I have a two week, multi-thousand ride coming up August 13th and I'd like to have something more comfortable for the ride. Do you have any suggestions?                                                         

07-20-11   (Kaarin)   Hi Colleen - Sorry to hear that the seat still isnít working for you. Rick is out of the shop until Aug. 2nd  we would be happy to do another adjustment, just send the seat and specifically what is bothering you with
an Adjustment Form and we will get it taken care of.                                          

07-22-11   (Colleen)   HI Kaarin - Thank you for your quick reply. I'm not really sure what I want to do at this point. I had filled out an Adjustment Form before and it apparently didn't do the trick. Rick did mention (after the last adjustment) that the heated seat unit was the culprit in my discomfort and he tried to work around it. However, I was disappointed that he said that *after* he made the adjustments that he did. I could have made the decision while he had the seat there whether or not to keep the heater unit in order to get a more comfortable seat.   Now I am faced with the prospect of paying for shipping (and another $25 to ship it back? That's not clear at this point) on a gamble that the next fix will "work". I am tempted to take Rick up on his offer of simply returning me to my stock seat and giving me a full refund. Quite honestly, the stock seat kept me going for well over 200 miles at a time, but since my friends gave me a certificate to Rick's, I figure that I might as well be comfy for a couple more hundred miles. Unfortunately, this has not been the case.   Please let me know, in more detail, what my options are at this point. I will wait for Rick's return if that is necessary to get a full response. Thank you again for your assistance!                                          

07-23-11      BMW MOA Ė spoke with Rick about the seat. ďHe'll pay for me to ship it back, do an agreed-upon adjustment and then pay to send it backĒ Still a reassurance that the length of time this is taking is not a problem.                                                         

07-23-11   (Rick)   Rick here,  I am sorry the adjusted saddle is still not up to your expectations.  My offer to refund what was paid and supply a replacement stock seat stands. If you decide to go that way, please do so at your earliest convenience. We are in Pennsylvania now and will be on the road for another week, returning Tuesday August 2 in the shop.                         

07-24-11   (Colleen)   Hi Kaarin and Rick - Kaarin - I spoke with Rick while he was at the BMW rally in PA. We come to the conclusion that you will send me a shipping label for me to ship the seat back to you. Rick will then remove the heating element (I'd like it included on the return, mostly out of curiosity to see it) and make some small adjustment to the seat area. He also said that he can apply heat to the front "wings" and get them to lay flatter against the bike's tank. I am not in a hurry for the label, as I will be leaving on a two week trip on August 13th and not returning until the 29th. Rick said that he would not have time to work on the seat and get it to me before my departure date, so I will plan on sending it back to you after my return.                        

01-02-12   (Colleen)   Time is slipping away and I figure that now that the holidays are over, it might be a good time to re-visit my seat problems. Unfortunately, I waited too long and don't recall precisely what Rick suggested when I saw him at the BMW rally in Bloomfield, PA last summer. I seem to recall him offering to do one more adjustment, with the removal of the heating element and include shipping both ways. It was either that, or the simple exchange of the current seat back to a stock seat.  I'm torn, as I really want to make the custom seat work, but I'm concerned that if the adjustment doesn't work I won't know again until well into spring, and I'm not very keen on the way the current seat design pools water onto the seat. The stock seat doesn't have the dish shape that the current custom seat does and sheds water much more easily. I'll leave it at that for now and wait to hear back from you confirming what my options are.                                                         

01-13-12   (Colleen)   Just making sure that you got my inquiry. I didn't see anything on your website suggesting that you're closed post-holiday, so hopefully you can get back to me with some information. I might slip in an LD order if I can get this taken care of in time!                                                         

01-31-12   (Colleen)   Thanks for the email response to my voice mail. I'm guessing that your date stamp is off, as I just called you today. Perhaps EST and PST are further apart than we thought...I'm forwarding you the email I originally sent on the 2nd, which was tacked on to our previous correspondences. I'm not sure why it didn't get through your email system this time, seeing as we had a bit of a conversation going at the time. Regardless, you should now have my questions/concerns and I look forward to hearing back from you.                                                         

01-31-12   (Colleen)   *** ATTENTION *** Your e-mail is being returned to you because there was a pr...                                                         

02-02-12   (Colleen)   Testing (again)                                                         

02-06-12   (Colleen)   Testing again....                                                         

02-29-12   (Colleen)   I'm still waiting ot hear back from Rick on the options for my GS1150's seat adjustment or exchange. I know that come April I'm going to want to ride the bike again, so I'd like to get something going soon so that I'm ready. Thank you.                                                         

02-29-12   (Rick)   Hi Colleen - I donít have a stock 1150 seat any more or I would offer to trade you. If you would rather have a stock seat, why not post an ad and sell it with the buyer giving you a stock seat in exchange-you might make someone very happy to have the one you have.If you have a plan on how you would like yours modified, I am happy to do it, but I donít know how I would change it further.                                                         

03-03-12   (Colleen)   Hi Rick - Thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate the suggestion of selling my seat with an exchange for a stock seat, but I don't see why someone would want to pay me for a custom seat (that isn't custom to them) when they could just spend the same amount and having it done (correctly) by you. Since neither of us has any more adjustment suggestions, I propose that we just wait until you have a stock seat, at which time we can make the exchange and you can refund me the cost (as previously agreed). Please confirm that this is ok with you, at which point I'll just wait until you let me know when you get a stock seat in.                                                         

05-25-12   (Colleen)   Hi again Rick - You never responded to my prior email, so I can only hope that you eventually got it. I also hope that you have a stock seat on hand so that we can make the trade for my current seat. I'll try to give you a call, but please let me know that you've gotten my message(s). Thank you!                                                         

05-25-12   (Rick)   Hi Colleen - I donít remember seeing the earlier e mail. -I still do not have any stock seats for an 1150 GS and I donít anticipate getting any-if you would like to buy a used one, I will reimburse you up to $75-I paid between $50 and $75 for them back when they were the bike. I do see them on e bay, craigs list, and beemer boneyard quite often. Your dealer might have one also.                                                         

05-25-12   (Colleen)   Hi Rick - Thank you for the reply. I will see what I can find on my own regarding a stock seat. In the meantime, I want to make sure that you'll still honor what you said in an email dated 7/23/11:  "My offer to refund what was paid and supply a replacement stock seat stands", as you haven't mentioned this in any emails between us since then. Please confirm this, and that you'll pay for the return shipping of the custom seat to you, as you also previously agreed to. I too am sorry that this didn't work out, but I'll be happy once we have this settled. Thank you.                                                         

06-30-12   (Colleen)   Rick - I wish that I had your ebay connections, Rick. The cheapest seat that I could find on ebay was $120, and there weren't too many to chose from. That being said, I did manage to get a stock seat. Therefore, I'd like to go ahead and ship your custom seat back to you and I'll continue to use the stock seat that I have. Please be sure to include the $75 reimbursement that you stated for my purchasing the stock seat. As I outlined in a previous email:  "... In the meantime, I want to make sure that you'll still honor what you said in an email dated 7/23/11:  "My offer to refund what was paid and supply a replacement stock seat stands", as you haven't mentioned this in any emails between us since then. Please confirm this, and that you'll pay for the return shipping of the custom seat to you, as you also previously agreed to. I will be waiting to hear back from you, hopefully with a shipping label so that we can complete this.                                                         

07-05-12   (Rick)   "I will refund the purchase price, plus the $75 quoted on the stock seat reimbursement-In light of the time involved in this return, I donít feel obligated to cover return shipping, you will have to ship the seat to me prepaid.  I think this is far and above what should be expected."

07-05-12   (Colleen)   Far and above". If you say so, although you and everyone I've ever spoken with there have REPEATEDLY told me not to worry about the amount of time this was taking, and you originally said that you'd cover the return shipping. But I want this over and done with and will ship the seat back to you on my own dime. Please confirm how/when you will make the refund.                                                         

07-08-12   (Colleen)   Please confirm how/when you will make the refund, and for how much in total.                                                         

07-10-12   (Rick)   Whatever was paid Colleen-I donít have a record of that payment back that far-just forward whatever documentation you have for refund of that amount in the manner originally paid.                                                         

07-17-12   (Colleen)   I shipped the seat out to you today via Parcel Post. $28 with Del. Confirmation                                                         

07-25-12   (Colleen)   I know that this is a busy time of year for you, but please at least acknowledge that you received the seat. Thank you.                                                         

07-25-12   (Kaarin)   Hi Colleen - The shop has been empty for the past 2 weeks, I did just go through a stack of boxes and your seat has arrived, however it wonít be processed until they return next week.                                                         

07-25-12   (Colleen)   Thanks Kaarin for letting me know.                                                         

08-23-12   (Colleen)   Hi Kaarin - It's been almost a month now. Any word on the seat return?                                                         

08-23-12   (Rick)   Hi Colleen - In my last e mail, where the seat was acknowledged as arriving I requested some documentation on what was paid from you as my records do not go back that far. As soon as I  get something back from you I can reference, I will issue a refund. I canít issue a check without something to back it up.                                                         

08-23-12   (Colleen)   Rick - If you look in the packaging you'll find a photocopy of the receipt that you gave me. If you need me to send it (again), let me know.                                                          

08-23-12   (Colleen)   Rick - Did you find the receipt?                                                         

08-24-12   (Rick)   All packaging was recycled and I donít see any scanned receipts in the computer-the only document I am finding is the $25 check from Jan 2011, can  you send another copy in an e mail?                                                         

08-24-12   (Colleen)   I didn't send you documents via email because we've had so much trouble with email even without the addition of attachments. I am sending you two emails: one with a small .jpg file and a follow up with a larger .pdf file. Hopefully at least one of them will work for you.                                                         

08-24-12   (Rick)   Got it colleen-I will be processing the refund next week to the card.                                                         

08-24-12   (Colleen)   Which card, might I ask?                                                         

08-24-12   (Rick)   The one used for the initial purchase is where it has to go                                                         

08-24-12   (Colleen)   You might want to confirm the last four digits of that card, considering I have no idea which one was used and you have no paperwork showing what was charged. I know that I had a gift card for a good portion of the cost, and I *think* that I paid cash for the balance.                                                          

08-25-12   (Rick)   I need a receipt or some form of payment record-Let me know when you come up with that-we have no record of monies paid and without something to back up a payment that long ago, I canít generate a refund.                                                         

08-25-12   (Colleen)   Rick - What I sent you is all that I was given when I left your shop, therefore it is the only receipt that I have. The fact that you don't have anything in your files is surprising. Legally, you should be keeping your paperwork for 10 years (http://blog.mynewcompany.com/how-long-to-keep-business-records/). We both know that I paid for the seat, and the file that I forwarded you gives you the amount that I paid. I even took a picture of the new seat while I was in your shop (picture link). I don't understand why you can't issue me a check for the full refund. You're the owner, you can make it happen. I am formally requesting that you send me a check for $319.                                                         

08-25-12   (Rick)   Jeez colleen, really, this is really a mission for you isnít it?  I have 10 helmets on my shelf that I donít wear anymore because I prefer the one I do wear-it would never occur to me to hound the vendor for a refund for the ones I donít. I am not challenging that you paid Something for a seat I normally charge $269 for and I can generate a check anytime I want,  but without an invoice or some record of payment, I might as well throw the money away-I just experienced an IRS audit, so I do have firsthand current  knowledge of what I need and donít need for paperwork.  Do you even remember what you paid after the gift certificate? I have put your seat on e bay, and you can have whatever it generates. I did say that I would buy your stock seat for you, and that was $75, I think you said, so I will give  you that $75 plus whatever this auction brings. Letís not beat this issue to death-I am done with it, letís both move on.                                                         
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/280948705274?item=280948705274&viewitem=&vxp=mtr                                                         

08-27-12   (Rick)   You seat sold on e bay for $289. If you have a pay pal account I will transfer that $289 plus the $75 I promised for a total of $364. In looking over the notes, I have no doubt both the comfort complaint, and the water pooling complaint are a direct result of the aftermarket heater that was placed at your request.  This is why I try to convince folks to not put them in their seats-but what do I know. I have no hard feelings btw-I do feel taken advantage of, but that goes with the territory.                                                         

08-27-12   (Colleen)   Yes, I saw that the seat was indicated as "sold" this morning. You can PP the money to this address. Thank you.                                                         

08-28-12   (Kaarin)   We did not retain the credit card information from your original order. I would like to refund you via PayPal. Do you have an email associated with a paypal account. If you do I will take care of it today.                                                         

08-28-12   (Colleen)   I replied to Rick yesterday and said that he could use this address for a PP refund.                                                         

08-28-12   (Paypal)   rick mayer sent you $354.00 USD                                                         

08-28-12   (Colleen)   Not to quibble (even though I am), Rick said that the refund would be $75 plus whatever the seat sold for ($289), which comes to $364, not $354. Just thought I'd point out that your math is incorrect :-)                                                         

08-28-12   (Colleen)   I find it very interesting that you feel taken advantage of. If you read up on the "Rick Mayer" thread on ADV you just might learn something about your business. Personally, I think that you do a great job of making saddles, but there's no way in hell that you should be allowed anywhere near the office. You obviously have no customer service skills and the overwhelming feeling (at least from part of the ADV community) is that you don't fully understand how to best run a business.  http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546066  If you don't get the seat right the first time, and the customer doesn't get 100% of what they're expecting, then it all falls apart when trying to make it right. As someone mentioned, it truly is a lottery when ordering from you.  ***   As for the heater element, don't you even dare put the blame on me for that. The heated seat came with the bike when I bought it, and you didn't mention that it would cause me issues until after the first adjustment. In the initial sitting you had merely asked if I was interested in keeping it place. I was, and you worked around it. ***   You may not have any hard feelings, but I'm very sorry to have ever come to your shop. I'm only out $40 (it would have been only $30 but apparently Kaarin fat-fingered the PP refund; or that was just another ploy to keep more of my money?) so I can count myself fortunate.   ***   The motorcycling community is small, Rick. I have friends who like your work, but I can honestly say that I'll never recommend you to anyone.

ďYou've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?Ē   :popcorn:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:03:59 pm by Mrs. DantesDame » Logged

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Scratch33

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, 2x'10
Motorcycles: '08 R1200GSA, '09 DD750, '07 F800S, '10 Madass 125
GPS: That Other Place
Miles Typed: 12394

My Photo Gallery

His Excellency's Car!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 07:07:42 pm »

Yeah, I was just following that thread over on ADV.  

All Your Forum Are Belong to VS
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

Motorcycles: Something old, it's not blue, nor 'tis borrowed, so screw you.
Miles Typed: 3345

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 07:37:30 pm »

Anyone can learn to make and sell products. Customer service is what truly makes a stand-out vendor.

"Chris is correct." -- bomber
Advertisement

james_g

Reputation 21

Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia Tuono
GPS: San Diego, Ca
Miles Typed: 476

My Photo Gallery

My bike is more fun than yours!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 08:04:39 pm »

I think the lesson here is to take care of this stuff as soon as possible. There was some serious time that went on (it's hard to read all of that text in the way that you presented it). Because of this long time frame there might be the perception that this really doesn't matter that much. From my own personal experience I always try to settle these affairs as quickly as possible because taht conveys just how important it is to you.

I hope this all works out for you and you get resolution for all of this.

james

...a Japanese manufacturer might take the motor, castrate it to about 110 hp and stick it in a cheaper, heavier chassis with low-spec suspension and brakes and slice an ĎRí or two off the name. Thatís not how Aprilia roll
Kneescrubber
King of the 90ļ flat turn

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: '99 Honda VFR, '73 BMW R75/5
GPS: The western U.S. is strewn with paper maps I've lost from my tankbag.
Miles Typed: 3787

My Photo Gallery

Just a little more

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 08:11:05 pm »

...Long, frustrating and stressful story later, I have most of my money back and a nice, comfy stock seat. But I had to fight for what I did manage to get. I did some research and found that while RMC can make a very good seat, if you have to go back for anything, or there is any deviation from the status quo, youíre screwed. As one ADVer put it, itís like playing the lottery: you either get a perfect seat the first time and ride away happy, or youíre screwed....

No offense Ma'am but I live by the rule "if it a'int broke, don't fix it". By the same token, there is not one company anywhere in this world that has absolutely 100% customer satisfaction. Perhaps you should have done the research beforehand?

...I did some research and found that while RMC can make a very good seat, if you have to go back for anything, or there is any deviation from the status quo, youíre screwed. As one ADVer put it, itís like playing the lottery: you either get a perfect seat the first time and ride away happy, or youíre screwed....

I'm sure you remember back when Corbin was the cat's meow.  Wink

I'm on ST.N so its not like I'm a productive member of society anyway.   DogBoy
It's the internet.  It runs on drama.    Cablebandit
The difference between fiction and reality is fiction has to be believable.  Tom Clancy
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:12:22 pm »

(it's hard to read all of that text in the way that you presented it).

yeah, it was a spreadsheet that didn't copy over very well  Sad

I think the lesson here is to take care of this stuff as soon as possible. ...From my own personal experience I always try to settle these affairs as quickly as possible because taht conveys just how important it is to you.

I tried to, but various things got in the way (ie, winter). But if you went through the communications, you'd see that with just about every conversation I apologized for the delay and they said that it was absolutely NO problem. Obviously it was a problem  Rolleyes

I hope this all works out for you and you get resolution for all of this.

It's done and was as close to "good" as I could expect from such a shyster.

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 08:13:46 pm »

Perhaps you should have done the research beforehand?

Even so, what would I have done with the gift certificate given to me by my friends? Shrug

I'm sure you remember back when Corbin was the cat's meow.  Wink

My Corbin was the most comfortable seat I've ever owned  Inlove

Member since 2003
stevent
Aging Cafe` Racer

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '10 K1300GT
GPS: near Tacoma, Wa.
Miles Typed: 1692

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 08:30:31 pm »

They're all hit and miss. I got a Russell Day Long for my GS that was perfect. The one on my GT sucked and never was made right. I've had Corbins that were just right on my Trophy, Bonney and K100RS and the one on my RT sucked. I had a well known local guy named Rich make one for the Trophy that was just as uncomfortable as the stocker and was told that he had made it right and I just needed to get used to it.

I feel for you but it's hard to get one just right and the cost doesn't seem to be a factor.

Carpe` Throttleum - Loud Suits Save Lives -

"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 08:33:39 pm »

I really like the two Rick Mayer seats I had (still have one on my KTM 950), but they were quite slow about turnaround and ending up getting me my seats over a month later than initially promised. Good thing it was winter :-) Communication and meeting their time commitments aren't their strong points.

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
chesthing

Reputation -14

Motorcycles: R1200RT
GPS: Colorado
Miles Typed: 948

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 08:38:54 pm »

Paypal charges (I believe) 3%, which would come out about $10 on $350. There was no call to call them theives, this really undermined your position. Overall I think Rick was pretty fair in this deal, I really don't see why you are so mad. A LOT of venders would have stiffed you from the git go.
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 08:41:02 pm »

My Corbin was the most comfortable seat I've ever owned  Inlove

Well then I guess you did win the lottery Bigsmile

Corbin has been both good and bad for me.

Glad the stock saddle is working well for you Bigok

P.S. following the saga over on ADV Lol

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
CosmicCowboy

Reputation 24

Motorcycles: 2007 FZ1
GPS: Tennessee
Miles Typed: 803

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 08:46:19 pm »

Paypal charges (I believe) 3%, which would come out about $10 on $350.

That doesn't change the amount sent, just your balance after the transaction. Sounds like they shorted her $10.

"See, it's kinda like some STN threads. When the pot stops steaming, hissing, spitting, and spewing, it's usually done." -ConPilot1
Andrew

Reputation 46

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 08:47:21 pm »

That doesn't change the amount sent, just your balance after the transaction. Sounds like they shorted her $10.

How much was the "gift certificate"?

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
Kneescrubber

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Just a little more

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 08:48:03 pm »

With a little work here, we can exceed the ubiquitous oil/tire/Harley-bashing threads.  Bigok

The difference between fiction and reality is fiction has to be believable.  Tom Clancy
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 08:59:02 pm »

How much was the "gift certificate"?
I believe that you guys put together $250 for me  Bigok

With a little work here, we can exceed the ubiquitous oil/tire/Harley-bashing threads.  Bigok

Lol

Member since 2003
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 09:00:33 pm »

Overall I think Rick was pretty fair in this deal, I really don't see why you are so mad.

EEK!  "Fair"? Did you read what I had to go through to get back what I did? I honestly believe that he felt that if he balked long enough I'd give up like a lot of other people have.

A LOT of venders would have stiffed you from the git go.

Glad I don't shop where you do  Crazy

Member since 2003
Andrew

Reputation 46

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 09:24:16 pm »

I believe that you guys put together $250 for me  Bigok

Lol

Your welcome

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 09:55:35 pm »

You're welcome

Hey, I said that you guys were awesome, right?  Bigok

Member since 2003
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 10:20:31 pm »

Holy shit, that was ridiculous.  I'll never order one.  There are other vendors that handle these situations better.  Granted this is only one side of the story, but if the exchanges are accurate he could have handled the situation much better.
DogBoy
West Texas Teardrop

Reputation 106

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, KTM450SMR, CRF230F
GPS: Sacramento, Ca
Miles Typed: 10066

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 11:30:43 pm »

I think I've mentioned this before but my brother-in-law had terrible service from Rick Mayer. He put down a deposit at the BMW MOA meet directly with Rick and scheduled a window for having the seat done. The seat was shipped to Mayer on time. Instead of the one week turnaround promised, it took five months. The seat wasn't sent back and forth and no changes were made to the original order. Rick just kept saying "next week for sure" or "I'm a little behind but you're first priority" for months. I've heard this from others and there is even a Cycle World review in which their seat was delivered months late.

The guy has good service if you ride in and wait around all day. However, if you are not present expect a long wait and the promised delivery date to mean nothing.

Note: 1KPerDay approved signature lines below.
sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 12

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5684

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 12:18:44 am »

Is this worse than being Rick Rolled?

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
Mac
Yeehaw, Texas!!

Reputation 40

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: none
GPS: Dallas, Tx.
Miles Typed: 7823

My Photo Gallery

I just got out of a prison

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 12:45:53 am »

Is this worse than being Rick Rolled?

At least Rick Astley is
Never gonna give you up,
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry,
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

Derp derp derp.
Rattlehead
part of a dying breed- the stubborn DIY-er

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2005 Buell XB12R
Miles Typed: 377

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 08:52:34 am »

Wow.  EEK!
I'm sorry, but I gotta side with Rick on this one.
Your e-mails could very easily be interpreted as "hostile" (even if that wasnít the intent), especially since you had the audacity to not only demand a refund for something you bought 3 years ago (which he did agree to) but then to also proceed to tell him how he should be running his business. Iíd feel ďtaken advantage ofĒ in that scenario as well.  Sad

I think he did everything that could be reasonably expected from a retailer and even more. Sure, you had "extenuating circumstances" but when you work retail and someone is asking for money, they ALL have "extenuating circumstances" or a sob story of some kind. Unless he has specifically stated somewhere on his website or in his product literature that heíll honor ďlifetime adjustmentsĒ or a ďlifetime guarantee/refundĒ (donít know, Iíve never dealt with him or his company), Iíd say he bent over backwards to please a customer that bought something 3 years ago!.

Me personally, Iíd had been HUGELY appreciative that he agreed to make alterations in the first place and after that didnít do the trick, Iíd have sold the seat and chalked it up as a ďtried but didnít likeĒ kind of product. I would have never expected to get a refund for something that was bought so long ago that my youngest (now Pre-K) son was still crapping himself and working on walking upright. Heck, maybe I should have hounded Huggies for a refund on all of those diapers that didn't "hold back the floods". I'm sure there was more than $300 worth of them!  Lol

insert witty saying here.
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 08:55:45 am »

Headscratch Headscratch Headscratch

I think the point you're missing is that Colleen and Rick were going back and forth a LONG time and that he had maintained all along that the timing was not an issue. I'm sure if he had said, "I'm sorry, but any warranty period has expired," she would have done that; sold it and moved on.

Shrug

chesthing

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 11:26:08 am »

Every single one of the several dozen Paypal payments I've received over the years has had the Paypal charge deducted from the amount sent. I have never had a charge hit my account on money I've sent, it was subtracted from the amount received by the recipient.  I really have no idea where you got this idea.
squeezer
Squirrelly Geezer

Reputation 83

Motorcycles: 16 Tiger XR(x)
GPS: The OC
Miles Typed: 5553

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2012, 01:46:01 pm »

I'm a Rick Mayer lottery winner. It's a great saddle and I'm likely to go back. But I'm glad this got posted.

Rattlehead -- it's not like Colleen showed up after three years and asked for a refund. It's an issue that took three years to resolve. That's different and it would definitely put on my grumpy cap.

Dang. I missed Ed's birthday again.
IBA, AMA, AARP
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2012, 03:20:11 pm »

I had a seat built by Bill Mayer (Ojai, CA) while I waited.
After the day long affair, and much adjusting, it was just 'ok'
$550 IIRC

But their coffee was maybe the worst in the world.

That is all.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
CosmicCowboy

Reputation 24

Motorcycles: 2007 FZ1
GPS: Tennessee
Miles Typed: 803

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2012, 04:11:53 pm »

Every single one of the several dozen Paypal payments I've received over the years has had the Paypal charge deducted from the amount sent. I have never had a charge hit my account on money I've sent, it was subtracted from the amount received by the recipient.  I really have no idea where you got this idea.

The point being she was supposed to receive a refund of $364. If that were the case, it would have been "Rick Mayer sent you $364." It would not have been "Rick Mayer sent you [$364-service charge]." He shorted her, plain and simple.

"See, it's kinda like some STN threads. When the pot stops steaming, hissing, spitting, and spewing, it's usually done." -ConPilot1
chesthing

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2012, 04:35:20 pm »

So, you expect Rick to not only pay the cost of a used seat, plus the original cost to rebuild her seat, plust paypal fees - after 3 years?
Someone said Rick isn't too great a businessman - I agree with regard to his return policy. It's open-ended and way too generous, he should change that - although he probably keeps it because nightmares like the op only crop up once in a blue moon.
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2012, 04:46:57 pm »

Well all this is one great reason I'd never do a long-distance expensive custom seat.

I hear it's hit and miss anyway.

That said, on the 4 bikes I've owned, not one problem with an uncomfortable seat.  Thumbsup

halloween over.
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2012, 05:03:01 pm »

It's pretty much common knowledge that RMS is a crap shoot at best.  While you may get a decent seat, odds are it won't be without some trials and tribulations.  Hence why I don't own a RMS seat. While it looks good on paper I don't want to take the risk of getting screwed that comes up over and over again.

Caveat Empter

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
sagerat

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2012, 05:31:28 pm »

And that is why I went with a Sargent seat on my Viffer and will do the same for the GSA.

If I were getting a custom seat, I'd use Don at Mister Ed's Moto in Albany, OR.  Always easier to do a custom seat that's only a three-hour ride away in case of any further fittings post-purchase.  Plus Don did a great job of redoing my Ural seat.   Thumbsup

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2012, 05:38:41 pm »

If I were getting a custom seat, I'd use Don at Mister Ed's Moto in Albany, OR.

Don got high praise over on ADV  Thumbsup

Member since 2003
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2012, 05:56:14 pm »

It was Rick or Rocky where, early on, someone didn't like the results, pealed back the cover and found his stock seat with some foam glued on the side to support the "wings". No real modifications done at all.

I don't know about Rocky, but that sounds about like what I watched Rick do while in his shop. He forbid me to take any photos while he was working, presumably to keep his secrets  Shrug

Member since 2003
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2012, 07:00:38 pm »

I don't know about Rocky, but that sounds about like what I watched Rick do while in his shop. He forbid me to take any photos while he was working, presumably to keep his secrets  Shrug

FWIW, I have a lot of photos of Rick doing work, about halfway down the page at: http://www.bluepoof.com/pics/may06/052006-stn_wcrm/

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2012, 07:05:47 pm »

FWIW, I have a lot of photos of Rick doing work, about halfway down the page at: http://www.bluepoof.com/pics/may06/052006-stn_wcrm/

Bizarre. I specifically asked him if I could take photos while he worked (you know, to further enhance the report) and he said "No!". Very emphatic.

Headscratch

Member since 2003
Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6110

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2012, 07:07:49 pm »

Bizarre. I specifically asked him if I could take photos while he worked (you know, to further enhance the report) and he said "No!". Very emphatic.

Headscratch

Maybe he just doesn't like you?  Shrug

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
bluepoof

Reputation 111

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2012, 07:08:05 pm »

Headscratch

Maybe he changed his policy -- my pics were from 6 years ago. Lol

www.bluepoof.com
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2012, 07:08:53 pm »

Maybe he just doesn't like you?  Shrug

If he did then, he certainly doesn't now!  Embarassment

Member since 2003
county
The thrill of speed, the image of danger

Reputation -630

Motorcycles: Blackbird & F650CS
GPS: Memphis, TN
Miles Typed: 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2012, 07:14:28 pm »

I will not do business with him...way to much horseshit....

Iron Butt Identification No. 22810.  BB1500   Bullet Bike rider
My dog can poo !
TBone
Not an Asshat

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: Bikeless in NJ
GPS: Pequannock, N.J.
Miles Typed: 3447

My Photo Gallery

There is no you, there is only me

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2012, 08:12:36 pm »

It's good to see you supporting the mods.  Thumbsup

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're so hard to verify." - Abraham Lincoln
Andrew

Reputation 46

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2012, 08:24:36 pm »

Keep it up Brother........

Some one somewhere will enjoy your online personality sometime

Or you can keep posting like a troll Bigok

Silverbird

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: '16 FJR1300 '07 919
GPS: Failville, CO
Miles Typed: 1625

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2012, 11:47:22 pm »

I had a bad experience with him too. After sending my XX seat back to him 3 times he gave me my money back.  I'm not sure he did anything when I sent it back, he gave me my money back and let me keep the seat.  I don't think it was any better than the stock one. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
coho
Just here for the pie.

Reputation 26

Motorcycles: BMW R1100RT Yamaha StFU200 ("the dumbbike")
GPS: is for people who can't read maps (PNW)
Miles Typed: 2758

My Photo Gallery

I see what you did there.

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2012, 12:08:05 am »

Gotta say, Dante, your experience with Rick Meyer sounds kinda like my experience with Dave Page. I was not at all satisfied with the resoling job on my Combat Lites and he disagreed with my assessment in an extremely protracted (weeks from query to response) communication process that finally led me to give up as the halting dialogue had outlasted the soles.

Even the ones getting the raves don't necessarily get raves from everybody. Shrug
Glad you got some resolution.  Thumbsup

"Always be yourself. Unless you suck, then be somebody else."

"My anecdotal evidence can beat up your anecdotal evidence."
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2012, 06:43:48 am »

No... The "amount received", in whole, is indicated, then the fees are itemized.

It would look like this... These are actual Paypal entries from my account.

Amount received:   
$10.00 USD
Fee amount:   
-$0.59 USD
Net amount:   
$9.41 USD

Total amount:   
$62.00 USD
Fee amount:   
-$2.10 USD
Net amount:   
$59.90 USD

Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2012, 06:46:07 am »

So, you expect Rick to not only pay the cost of a used seat, plus the original cost to rebuild her seat, plust paypal fees - after 3 years?

No. Again, this was ongoing from within only a few months after she received the seat. The three-year resolution was end to end. She contacted him in relative short order after using the seat. This is clearly explained.

You should read the itemized list of back-n-forth with a clear understanding of the dates and the frustration throughout the process.

Powder Addict
Colorado Snow Addict

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400
GPS: Western CO
Miles Typed: 642

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2012, 12:17:54 pm »

I've always found a few ibuprofin throughout the day a much cheaper alternative to an aftermarket seat Bigsmile

The best powder is pure white Colorado snow!!

Current Ride 1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 Old Friends - 2001 KLR 650, 1996 KLR 250, 2006 Ninja 650r, 2001 Triumph Sprint, 1996 Seca II, 82 XS650
chesthing

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2012, 12:40:37 pm »

No. Again, this was ongoing from within only a few months after she received the seat. The three-year resolution was end to end. She contacted him in relative short order after using the seat. This is clearly explained.

You should read the itemized list of back-n-forth with a clear understanding of the dates and the frustration throughout the process.

I did read her thread and agree with a prior poster that she shouldn't have dragged her feet for months between emails. When I have an issue with something I bought I take care of business right away. I would have sent the seat back within a week, 2 at the max to fix specific issues I had with it - then I would have asked for the money back within the next couple weeks. Actually, I wouldn't have done any of this because she was happy with the stock seat to begin with (pointed out by another poster).
The fact this ended up 3 years long is due to the original poster's actions, not Ricks. Months and months passed before she asked him to do something, and she didn't seem to good at following his instructions on how to let him know her updated address. I have no opinion of Rick or any other seat builder, as this is the sort of thing I can figure out myself (my gel seat turned out very well). I am a vendor of sorts though and have been in business for myself for over 20 years, and can relate to this end of the story. Again, I think the problem lies with Rick's return policy, he needs to change it.
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2012, 01:00:57 pm »

I did read her thread and agree with a prior poster that she shouldn't have dragged her feet for months between emails. When I have an issue with something I bought I take care of business right away. I would have sent the seat back within a week, 2 at the max to fix specific issues I had with it - then I would have asked for the money back within the next couple weeks.

Look, I bought the seat on August 1st. Two weeks later I moved across the country. I was a little busy. Packing up the existing place, making moving arrangements, getting things prepped. And then of course once I got to NJ I had a whole new set of things to occupy my time. You know, new house, look for a job, figure out the internet... stuff that goes along with moving. Then they have this thing called "winter" around here. Lots of snow and ice. Not exactly conducive to getting some time on the bike. I finally get a ride in come June. Yes, I could have arranged something in May or even April, just to test out the seat, but it had already been 8 months and I really didn't believe (or want to believe) that there was going to be a problem once it broke in.

If Rick had a problem with those intervening months then he should have said "Sorry, we have an "XXX" day warranty policy and I can't help you". I would have been miffed because I just wasted a shit-load of money, but I certainly would NOT have wasted mine (and his) time over the next three years. It was HIS move whether or not the business deal was still a "go". He assured me that it was, and I continued to seek a solution.

Member since 2003
chesthing

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2012, 01:16:15 pm »

That's all good Dantesdame, but how many products or services can you think of where you would have gotten a dime back after 3 years? I don't have any issue with any of this other than the fact you are publicly bashing Rick over what happened. If he stiffed you I'd see it, if this 3 year situation were condensed to 3 months I'd see it. I've been treated far worse by businesses (a gunsmith absolutely ruined the finish of my Colt Python a couple years ago and told me to go to hell in an email) and all I've done is disputed the charges, got my money back and moved on. I didn't even feel the need to post a bad review of the business, I would just feel weasely doing it even if they deserved it.
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2012, 01:44:53 pm »

That's all good Dantesdame, but how many products or services can you think of where you would have gotten a dime back after 3 years?

I'm sorry, you're REALLY missing the point.

The three years from begging to end becomes immaterial the minute Rick says "the time is no problem".

You're really hung up on a point that the VENDOR repeatedly dismissed as immaterial.

phoenix

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: '10 CBR600RR
GPS: Ankeny IA
Miles Typed: 3994

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2012, 01:51:22 pm »

well, I guess I am in the (apparent) minority in thinking that Rick worked to resolve this, although I too would have lost it at some point and said "tough shit, lady". I've never done business with this company and don't plan to. It's $300 and change. She balked at the stock seat for $120 hoping to save another $55. and it drags on and on. Why?

NATIONAL 2003, 2004
EASTERN: 2003
REGION 4: 2005 WCRM: 2006, 2007 CENTRAL: 2007 ST.N trackday at Blackhawk Farms: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2012, 01:54:08 pm »

For those who side with Rick, fine. Feel free to order your seat from him, knowing that he will work so hard to help you resolve any issues that you might have  Smile  See? Maybe this is actually a positive post for him!

Member since 2003
sagerat

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2012, 03:29:05 pm »

I think the most upsetting thing I've read in this entire thread is a gunsmith ruining the finish on chesthing's Colt Python.    Crazy  Sad  

Pistol whipping would be too lenient of a punishment for the cur.  Those are great revolvers.

ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2012, 03:45:00 pm »

My thoughts were why send a Python to a 'smith in the firstplace?

They were near perfect, out of the box. One of the finest modern revolvers Colt made. Exceptional triggers, sights, and a very high quality piece overall.

halloween over.
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2012, 03:51:34 pm »

Wow Colleen.  I didn't know you could get mad like that!   Wink

I'm glad it's over though and you are 90% "satisfied" per se (I know, not really).

Having had my own business, and now listen to my daughter's drama with her business, it's easier for me to understand where RM is coming from.  I also understand your point of view.  As a few others have said, running a business requires one to have skills beyond just producing a product a customer wants.  It is a full circle of production, accounting, management, marketing, shipping operations, and of course the all-important customer service.  Most people are good at only a few things.  Believe me when I say, there will ALWAYS be customers who will NEVER be satisfied and want refunds.  That's a fact.  For every reasonable refund request, there are at least 10 more unreasonably stupid requests.  Based on your post, I would say RM was very patient and political with you even after you lectured him about how he should run his business.  However, you were also  very patient and political with him.  RM and you are both right and both wrong.  RM clearly is unable to handle the business load and he needs to address that (you are right about that).  He did try his best to accommodate you thus his surprise at your unhappy lecture (he was right about that).  What he is seeing is that you have taken this very personal and public, and it hurt his business even though you got most of your $$ money.  

Whatever the case, since RM did try to make you happy, understand what itís like to run a one or two person business like his.  I guess what Iím saying is cut him some slack and try not to judge him too harshly.  His business is his bread and butter and it looks like heís trying his best to do it all (and clearly unsuccessful).  If RM were a full blown corporation then I would say go for it.  They deserve a beating for the long lead times.  But a small enterprise like his, good luck with that.  Donít let this experience jade you.  Stay nice and pleasant.   Donít ever change.

Rogue
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2012, 04:04:00 pm »

Wow Colleen.  I didn't know you could get mad like that!   Wink

It takes a long time and a lot of work to light that fuse  Cool

His business is his bread and butter and it looks like heís trying his best to do it all (and clearly unsuccessful).  Donít let this experience jade you.  

FWIW, my father had his own business while I was growing up, so I know what it can be like on the other side of the counter as well. I think that the key point in your post is quoted here. I really do want him to succeed. The moto community needs all of the proficient vendors it can get, but the common theme of unhappy RM customers (poor customer service) is plain to see. It would be great for him to sit back, look at what those complaints stem from, and then do something about it. Just because you're still in business despite such a fault is no excuse not to try and fix it.

Stay nice and pleasant.

Always, Rogue, always  Bigok

Member since 2003
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2012, 04:30:04 pm »

Shouldn't this topic be under "mods and maintenance"?

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
county
The thrill of speed, the image of danger

Reputation -630

Motorcycles: Blackbird & F650CS
GPS: Memphis, TN
Miles Typed: 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2012, 05:15:03 pm »

Keep it up Brother........

Some one somewhere will enjoy your online personality sometime

Or you can keep posting like a troll Bigok

Your antipathy is showing.... Bigsmile

Iron Butt Identification No. 22810.  BB1500   Bullet Bike rider
My dog can poo !
Kneescrubber

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Just a little more

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2012, 05:36:57 pm »

Shouldn't this topic be under "mods and maintenance"?

You know. I thought that same thing this morning. But I didn't want to upset Ms.D. She's sending me grapes.  Wink

SummerLove

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Ducati M750 (Gone) Ducati MTS 1000 DS (Dev!)
GPS: San Fransico Bay Area
Miles Typed: 107

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2012, 05:46:10 pm »

Well now I got my fingers crossed that I get a good seat.
 Crazy
chesthing

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2012, 07:08:27 pm »

My thoughts were why send a Python to a 'smith in the firstplace?

They were near perfect, out of the box. One of the finest modern revolvers Colt made. Exceptional triggers, sights, and a very high quality piece overall.

I bought a 4" stainless Python in original plastic box for $800 at the Tanner gunshow. It was 100% mechanically there but the finish had been bead blasted with a few shallow pits. This gun was incredibly accurate, perfect lockup and timing. STUPIDLY, I had the bright idea to bring it to TJ's gunsmithing in Aurora to get the finish in order because of the great rep he has at the Firing line - he does all their work. When I brought it in there was a young punk maybe 21 years old at the counter, I saw TJ working on a gun in the back. I explained I wanted the finish brought back to the standard brushed finish, and to make sure he didn't mess up any of the roll marks (which were perfect). When I picked it up, the gun had been bead blasted again and you could barely read the marks on the barrel. Turns out this punk kid did the work instead of TJ (never assume anything in this life!) and instead of working the finish by hand he butchered it with a belt sander! TJ was a complete prick about it, offerering nothing. I was so sick about it I just sold it locally for $800 and got my $150 back on credit card dispute. I feel I will never again find another stainless Python in my price range, so in that sense this was a big loss. It was a great gun.
Sometimes you just have to let things go though, I'm no longer pissed - but I will never darken that man's door again you can be sure.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 07:23:29 pm by chesthing » Logged
Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6110

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2012, 07:46:08 pm »

I'm no longer pissed - but I will never darken that man's door again you can be sure.

I bet he's all busted up about that Sad

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
chesthing

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2012, 07:58:15 pm »

I'm sure he's not Justin, he obviously doesn't give a damn.
Dantesdame, the bottom line is a thread like this doesn't solve anything other than to prolong and intensify your irritation. Let it go, delete this thread (as a moderator you can do that yourself) and move on - in a day or 2 you'll forget all about it. Keep the tread open, let it grow to 20 pages and it will stick around in your mind for the next several weeks. You got most of your money back, my advice is just forget it.
dietDrThunder

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: CBR1100XX
GPS: Nashville, TN
Miles Typed: 494

My Photo Gallery

Why so serious, son?

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2012, 06:10:45 am »

The guy does seem a little short on quality communication, but to get a refund on a custom product is way above and beyond. I had to go back and re-read the itemized comms twice because I was sure I must have misunderstood something in there. Alas, no...you got a custom seat, and the guy gave you a refund after 3+ years, and you're indignant. Please find one other custom-anything maker who will give you a full refund after 3+ years and several thousand miles of use so that I can add him or her to my list of The Most Accommodating Vendors Ever.

I think this is the silliest complaint thread I've ever seen.

Dave Arkle
WERA Expert #13 - retired
DoD #11011
dietDrThunder

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: CBR1100XX
GPS: Nashville, TN
Miles Typed: 494

My Photo Gallery

Why so serious, son?

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2012, 06:12:09 am »

I'm sure he's not Justin, he obviously doesn't give a damn.
Dantesdame, the bottom line is a thread like this doesn't solve anything other than to prolong and intensify your irritation. Let it go, delete this thread (as a moderator you can do that yourself) and move on - in a day or 2 you'll forget all about it. Keep the tread open, let it grow to 20 pages and it will stick around in your mind for the next several weeks. You got most of your money back, my advice is just forget it.

Or even better...call up RDL and get a seat from them. It won't cost you a thing, as you can expect to be able to ride around on it for a few years and then get a complete refund.

(not really)

Dave Arkle
WERA Expert #13 - retired
DoD #11011
M.O.E.
Moetoebricking The World's Most Dangerous Curves

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: RS Moetoebrick
Miles Typed: 14

My Photo Gallery

Moetoebrickers Of Earth Society

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2012, 09:51:12 am »

regards...

i had been riding around on ebayed russells and wanted to get a made to order seat... one october i was checking the rm site and saw a 50% off sale for k-bikes... i promptly made my photos and sent all the info in for 2 seats at 50% off...

rm didnt want to honor the 50% off deal cause my k1100rs has a dual seat... said his deal was only for single seats... but his promotion didnt say that... it said k-bikes...

i posted the 50% off deal at the k1100 site and he got several orders... all of which he rejected in the beginning... he he he...

after spending some time on the phone and not needing the seats immediately he agreed to make 2 seats at 50% off for me...

i didnt speak to him till january... he called and said he was gonna make the seats in 2 weeks and wanted to clarify a few things... 3 weeks later i got both seats... in basket weave vinyl... i had paid for and had ordered leather...

rm was apologetic and promptly refunded the difference... i often wondered he tried to slip that one past me...

anyway... 2 identical seat pans from identical motos and 2 seats made at the same time which should be identical... well... they are not the same... 1 seat is perfect for long days of 2up... 1 seat isnt good for 100 miles of 2up... the difference is the width and length and height of the 2 are different... they are not the same... an inch or so off wall to wall...

so i use the good one on our 2up moto and the other on our 1up moto... so all is well... butts it was a f ed up deal outta the box...

im not bashing rm... i would buy from him again... butts only a ride in with the next two days as a redo days if necessary... you could blast the 299 36 loop and know if you needed a redo in short order...

moe
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:56:50 am by M.O.E. » Logged
Dave W.
We RIDE!

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Ducati Monster 1200S, Triumph Bonneville
GPS: Dallas
Miles Typed: 36

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2012, 10:46:10 pm »

Customers like you are why I work in an environment where I don't have customers.

By your emails, 3 years and thousands upon thousands of miles were ridden and you go out of your way to deliberately bad mouth the guy who eventually gave your money back on a CUSTOM item.

Even crazier than that is the fact that your basis for returning the item is purely subjective.

No problem with workmanship or finish, or general quality, just a subjective "feel" to you.

What if, for example, the product was not a seat but an Ohlins rear shock, and you felt the bike wasn't as planted in the turns as you expected?

Would you expect to ride a shock or have it installed on your bike for thousands of miles over months and months then decide the shock wasn't for you?

I just disagree with how you handled it as a customer purchasing a custom anything, and lets not forget at the end of the day it was a gift.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:08:52 pm by Dave W. » Logged
Kneescrubber

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Just a little more

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2012, 11:30:16 pm »

Well. Anyone else?  

Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2012, 11:40:42 pm »

Customers like you are why I work in an environment where I don't have customers.

You have to read the whole thread to get a more complete story.  Did you read or skim through it?

RM did say no problem.  And doesn't RM guarantee 100% satisfaction or money back?  If he doesn't want to do that then he should be clear and say that after a certain period of time has passed, no more refunds.  Does he?  Since neither of those factors were in place I say the complaint was legit.  It seems to me RM could use help in the after-sale customer service NOW!  That's a problem that many others have noticed so it's obvious that's a problem.

Rogue
chesthing

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2012, 12:41:34 am »

I just checked his website, he now has a strict 30 day money back guarantee only if the seat is unused, and you only get 1 free adjustment that has to be taken care of in the first 30 days. This is reasonable. I have no idea where his head was at when he was giving the guarantee that Dantesdame describes or how long ago he came to his senses.
chesthing

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2012, 01:23:39 pm »

That would be true if it were a legit beef. I suppose this thread serves as a pretty good endorsement for Rick, I can't imagine any other seat company doing what he did. I'd personally be more inclined to order from him after reading it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 01:29:07 pm by chesthing » Logged
coho
Just here for the pie.

Reputation 26

Motorcycles: BMW R1100RT Yamaha StFU200 ("the dumbbike")
GPS: is for people who can't read maps (PNW)
Miles Typed: 2758

My Photo Gallery

I see what you did there.

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2012, 01:31:49 pm »

As long as RM was saying that the elapsed time didn't matter and dragging out the communication process while still saying he'd make it right or refund the money she did have a legitimate beef. Shrug

That they have subsequently made a change in their refund/return/adjust policy has no bearing on the matter.

"Always be yourself. Unless you suck, then be somebody else."

"My anecdotal evidence can beat up your anecdotal evidence."
sleazy rider

Reputation 37

Years Contributed: '06, '07
Miles Typed: 5560

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2012, 03:26:37 pm »

How many of you have actually dealt with RM?  Do some googling on motorcycle forums and see how his customer service reputation stacks up versus his competition.  Frankly, his lack of communications and constant build delays SUCK.  Many reports of 2-3 month delays OR MORE on seat delivery exist on the web.  I'm not surprised that DD had so many issues attempting to get her seat right and then to get her money back.  

Before you shoot the messenger, read the freakin' message being delivered.
SprintRSrider

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 2004 Triumph Sprint RS
GPS: Haslett, Michigan
Miles Typed: 243

My Photo Gallery

Where do we go from here?

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2012, 04:59:36 pm »

How many of you have actually dealt with RM?  Do some googling on motorcycle forums and see how his customer service reputation stacks up versus his competition.  Frankly, his lack of communications and constant build delays SUCK.  Many reports of 2-3 month delays OR MORE on seat delivery exist on the web.  I'm not surprised that DD had so many issues attempting to get her seat right and then to get her money back.  

Before you shoot the messenger, read the freakin' message being delivered.

You grumpy old guys and your common sense!    Whatsa matter with you? Headscratch Lol

It's not what you start with, but what you have when you're finished that counts!
sleazy rider

Reputation 37

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2012, 05:06:25 pm »

Sorry, what we I thinking.  

DD, you should be ashamed of yourself for ripping of that poor asshole.  He's working for peanuts and needs to feed his 12 kids and pack of starving adopted dogs.  Don't you realize that his reworking your seat 12 time is your fault because your weight fluctuates monthly?  That money you got as a refund was his ex-wife's next alimony check!

Better?   Bigsmile
bluepoof

Reputation 111

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2012, 06:01:37 pm »

How many of you have actually dealt with RM?

FWIW, I've had 3 seats made by Rick with zero problems.  All of mine were ride-in and made in person while I waited, however, which is probably the key difference.

www.bluepoof.com
Andrew

Reputation 46

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2012, 09:59:48 pm »

About time this thread got moved, the Mods around here must be asleep at the keyboard.

OH Ya I had a seat done by RM, better than the stock by a long shot. THe leather and stitching were top notch. THe reworked wings were good and helped distribute my weight well (YA I am a Fat Dude) It was the seat that allowed me to do a 50CC (west to east)  The padding was a bit lean and after 20k I was not too fond of it, I tried the stock seat again (Ya I bought a spare to have RM do up) The RM was still better than stock. Was it the best seat I have ever owned ? No, but in the top group.

A person I know who does a lot of Rally Riding told me this "No seat it comfortable forever, find the one you can tolerate the longest"

I understand DD complaints and what she did to get a refund. Heck I sent her the replacement stock seat (thanks for the $75 DD)

After 3 years for any company to give a refund is outstanding and yes I know the whole thing that went down. heck the fact RM returned $$$ and not the gift certificate is a credit to him.  

Let it go

veefer800canuck
Nicky Hayden stole my childhood!

Reputation 167

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada, EH?
Miles Typed: 6790

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2012, 11:04:05 pm »

Wow, what a saga.

I've never dealt with RMC, but have bought two Sargent seats, and had one recovered by them after a "cat incident".

Excellent customer service, good communication, first rate product, etc etc.
And no waiting for an eternity either. I sent them a seat from Alberta to Florida and had it back in 14 days (the re-cover job).

SprintRSrider

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2012, 09:17:24 am »

Sorry, what we I thinking.  

DD, you should be ashamed of yourself for ripping of that poor asshole.  He's working for peanuts and needs to feed his 12 kids and pack of starving adopted dogs.  Don't you realize that his reworking your seat 12 time is your fault because your weight fluctuates monthly?  That money you got as a refund was his ex-wife's next alimony check!

Better?   Bigsmile

No.  I was joking with you.  Someone needs to develop a damn sarcasm distribution device for the damn inter webs.....  I actually appreciated what you said, but it seemed so out of character for what was going on in most of the conversation.   Smile

It's not what you start with, but what you have when you're finished that counts!
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2012, 09:25:37 am »

That would be true if it were a legit beef. I suppose this thread serves as a pretty good endorsement for Rick, I can't imagine any other seat company doing what he did. I'd personally be more inclined to order from him after reading it.

Headscratch

Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2012, 09:28:56 am »

No.  I was joking with you.  Someone needs to develop a damn sarcasm distribution device for the damn inter webs.....  I actually appreciated what you said, but it seemed so out of character for what was going on in most of the conversation.   Smile

He knows that. You actually think his follow up post was serious? Now who needs a sarcastometer...?  Lol Lol Lol

SprintRSrider

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2012, 09:31:18 am »

He knows that. You actually think his follow up post was serious? Now who needs a sarcastometer...?  Lol Lol Lol

Awwww Dammit, I should know better than to start posting before I've finished my first cup of coffee in the morning.... Crazy

kwb377
Non-Professional Rider on a Not-So-Closed Course...

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: CRF1000L, 450 XC-W, 200 XC-W
GPS: B'ham, AL
Miles Typed: 332

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2012, 10:19:17 am »

I predict we'll get at least 9 pages out of this one...

~ IBA #55309
sleazy rider

Reputation 37

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2012, 02:20:59 pm »

Yup, a big whoosh!   Lol  it made as much sense as some of the responses here, so you're forgiven.
CLAY
formerly known as CLAY

Reputation 170

Years Contributed: '07, '10
Motorcycles: '03 B12S, 1979 XS650 Street Tracker, 97 XR650L 1975 Yamaha XS650
GPS: Grand Rapids, MI
Miles Typed: 9031

My Photo Gallery

Dean of Zombie University

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2012, 05:05:09 pm »

I'd like to say I'm happy to be here and have enjoyed this thread.  I had my seat done (on the B12) by Spencer in FL, and he did a good job.   Bigok

Carry on.   Bigsmile

"Well I don't think Clay would make up some story.  He seems to be a pretty honest and sadistic guy to me."  -county
"This a'int high school, this is St.n. God help the meek"  -Kneescrubber
Glockboy

Reputation 9

GPS: GRANGER, INDIANA
Miles Typed: 89

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2012, 11:10:19 am »

He did my seat for the ST. It's ok but it took 5 times as long as promised, multiple phone calls, emails and such to get it done. I took another 3 months to get him to credit my Visa for the core charge for the seat pan. Only got my money back when I threatened to go to the Caliifornia BBB or Credit fraud division or  some such entity.

NEVER AGAIN!!!

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2012, 11:39:58 am »

He did my seat for the ST. It's ok but it took 5 times as long as promised, multiple phone calls, emails and such to get it done. I took another 3 months to get him to credit my Visa for the core charge for the seat pan. Only got my money back when I threatened to go to the Caliifornia BBB or Credit fraud division or  some such entity.

NEVER AGAIN!!!

chesthing thinks your complaints are invalid.  Razz Lol Lol Lol

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal