Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Too old for motocross?  (Read 21655 times)

Zixxerpilot
Where does THIS bolt go?

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: 04 Kawasaki z1000
GPS: Stevens Point, WI
Miles Typed: 1447

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2012, 11:00:33 am »

My son is getting more into off road riding. Now the daughter wants a shot. With all the trails at our local ohv parks, and the awesome tracks they have, I'm thinking of grabbing myself a bike so I can ride too.

I haven't been on a dirt bike for more than a rip around the yard in 15 years. Am I nuts and suicidal? Or can I have some fun with this amd minimal injury?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Anyone know where I can find rubber pants my size?

www.onetruerob.com The Ramblings of One Strange Nerd
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 11:05:53 am »

I'm 46, and still ride in the woods. A couple of the guys I have ridden with in the past were in their 70's. just remember you are not as "springy" as you once were. I think it is a great way to stay in shape and sharpen your skills for on the street. Enjoy!

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 11:06:53 am »

Never too old to go trail riding, but as a 50-something, the focus on big air on MX tracks scares me (old guys don't bounce well).

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
Advertisement

Kneescrubber
King of the 90º flat turn

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: '99 Honda VFR, '73 BMW R75/5
GPS: The western U.S. is strewn with paper maps I've lost from my tankbag.
Miles Typed: 3787

My Photo Gallery

Just a little more

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 12:09:50 pm »

Go for it. You'll be glad you did.  Thumbsup

Never too old to go trail riding, but as a 50-something, the focus on big air on MX tracks scares me (old guys don't bounce well).

^ Truth

I'm on ST.N so its not like I'm a productive member of society anyway.   DogBoy
It's the internet.  It runs on drama.    Cablebandit
The difference between fiction and reality is fiction has to be believable.  Tom Clancy
Zixxerpilot
Where does THIS bolt go?

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 04:47:53 pm »

The lack of springy tissue combined with my lack of ability to ride like I'm in my 30's and not 16 is part of my fear.

The other part is, I never really got into dirt heavy. I went street early and quick, and never looked back. So, not much experience in dirt.

Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 33

Motorcycles: '04 Concours - '03 FZ1 - '05 KTM 525 - '09 CRF250X - '13 KTM 990 SM-T - '07 Yamaha R6S
GPS: Shenandoah County, VA
Miles Typed: 3540

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 06:37:14 pm »

The lack of springy tissue combined with my lack of ability to ride like I'm in my 30's and not 16 is part of my fear.

The other part is, I never really got into dirt heavy. I went street early and quick, and never looked back. So, not much experience in dirt.

Buy REALLY good gear and have some fun.  I don't do MX and shy from off-road sections which could easily lead to a LONG distance fall (as was mentioned, us old guys don't bounce well). But I'll charge anything else.

It's fun to go end over end a couple of times, then jump up and yell "Hell yeah let's do that again!" Smile  (Please refer to my first comment - Buy REALLY good gear...)

I may die with nothing to show for it but there will be a heck of a garage sale.
Zixxerpilot
Where does THIS bolt go?

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 08:23:52 pm »

Good gear is a must for me anyhow. Street or otherwise. Gotta protect the crap that wont heal right!  Bigok

The other million dollar question is, what is a good bike for a guy who's 250lbs and "not a kid".

When I was younger, the 250's were considered the beasts/ Now I'm seeing 450's and bigger. I know how street bikes translate, how about dirt?

Ack535

Reputation 75

Motorcycles: 1998 CBR1100XX, 2005 CRF250X, 05 FJR R.I.P.
GPS: Williamston MI USA
Miles Typed: 949

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 08:34:04 pm »

I am 47 and I love riding in the dirt. Mostly singletrack & two track, but tons of fun. Go for it!

Pete
sammyseaman
AH3

Reputation 206

Motorcycles: 1 1/2
GPS: Grand River Valley
Miles Typed: 9855

My Photo Gallery

Владимир Константинов

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 08:45:22 pm »

IM-not so-HO dirt riding is more fun than street. Do it  Thumbsup

"Warm them with your breath or in your hand then insert them to a comfortable depth." ~Mr. Black~
"Polar bears can't jump." ~black bear~
jay547

Reputation 252

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 2932

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 02:04:25 pm »

i raced motocross all the way up to 49 when age, injuries, and job loss combined to force me into retirement.

thirties is not old, i didn't start racing until i was 27. i have twenty-two years of wonderful riding and racing memories, most of it with my kids. i say go for it.

a 250 is plenty.

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5107

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 02:07:24 pm »

Paging MXvet
MXvet, please pick up the white courtesy phone...

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
vulcanbill
This IS me smiling.

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '13 XT250 only
GPS: Martinsburg, WV
Miles Typed: 2864

My Photo Gallery

newbie prepper

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 11:04:54 am »

You don't necessarily have to go full on MX ya know.  You could get a nice street worthy dirt machine.  I'm 43 and just picked up an XT 250.  It's an absolute blast and is moderately capable off road.  Not the bike for you at your size but something you could truly dual purpose might not suck.  KTM has a full line to consider and there are plenty of others as well.  Just saw an 09 XR650 on CL for like 4 grand.  Smile

The good news is you're old enough to be smart enough to know your limits...in theory.

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.  Garzeerah!
sammyseaman
AH3

Reputation 206

My Photo Gallery

Владимир Константинов

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 11:30:49 am »

You don't necessarily have to go full on MX ya know.  You could get a nice street worthy dirt machine.  I'm 43 and just picked up an XT 250.  It's an absolute blast and is moderately capable off road.  Not the bike for you at your size but something you could truly dual purpose might not suck.  KTM has a full line to consider and there are plenty of others as well.  Just saw an 09 XR650 on CL for like 4 grand.  Smile

The good news is you're old enough to be smart enough to know your limits...in theory.

Lol Troof. Some of the shit I used to do in my teens and early 20's on the dirt will be tried again  

"Warm them with your breath or in your hand then insert them to a comfortable depth." ~Mr. Black~
Zixxerpilot
Where does THIS bolt go?

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 12:44:30 pm »

What are limits??

I'm looking at an xr650 tomorrow night. The price seems really decent. Problem with another street worthy machine is I'll be paying registration and insurance on something that'll rarely get street ridden.

Sent from my hideout like a ninja.

sammyseaman
AH3

Reputation 206

My Photo Gallery

Владимир Константинов

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 01:17:57 pm »

What are limits??
I'm looking at an xr650 tomorrow night. The price seems really decent. Problem with another street worthy machine is I'll be paying registration and insurance on something that'll rarely get street ridden.

You'll find out if you start riding like you did when you were a youngin'.

black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 01:48:02 pm »

What are limits??

I would try a newer 450 before I bought a 650, you know just in case Wink

the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
scottzilla

Reputation -56

Motorcycles: CBR1100XX, 33hp oversized dirt bike, 08 Tuono
GPS: NY
Miles Typed: 8809

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 03:03:30 pm »

43, strong like bull here.

My legs burn the following day.  You will know if you're "Too old" after you crash. Wink Bigsmile  

They're finding dead bodies where I ride.

The Wrath of Con Pt. 4 "One thing is for sure however, I will never publicly promote or let it be known that I am a member of STN again".
black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 11:20:15 pm »

43, strong like bull here.

My legs burn the following day.  You will know if you're "Too old" after you crash. Wink Bigsmile  

you are aware that a KLR is not a "dirt bike" right?? Bigsmile

scottzilla

Reputation -56

Motorcycles: CBR1100XX, 33hp oversized dirt bike, 08 Tuono
GPS: NY
Miles Typed: 8809

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 08:11:05 am »

you are aware that a KLR is not a "dirt bike" right?? Bigsmile

Perhaps that's the problem. Smile

They're finding dead bodies where I ride.

The Wrath of Con Pt. 4 "One thing is for sure however, I will never publicly promote or let it be known that I am a member of STN again".
buls4evr

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: Sukuki Weestrom 2007, 75 KT250 KAW,DRZ 400
Miles Typed: 624

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 09:07:32 am »

YES... on the off road riding and DS idea. NO.... on the MX. Your kids can ride with you even after they have grown up and get their own DS bikes. This is a great way to stay in contact with them wherever they go. There are always at least dirt roads somewhere.

Right now they have a lot more energy than you do and heal more quickly and completely. Later all those MX injuries come back to haunt you. Nothing says that as a fat(sorry) guy and probably not in shape that you have to do MX with them. But you can guide them to do non-competitive trail/DS riding that will lead to a lifetime of motorcycle enjoyment. MX is also highly expensive to participate in.

Don't ask me how I know this..... But I have been there and have the daily aches and pains from a broken back riding MX in my 40s to prove it. Make good decisions.
observer

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Suz Vstrom 1000
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 10:05:34 pm »

Nothing saying you have to engage in moto............55 y/o here and still ride single track trails up here in WA.
Used to race a 100 yrs ago(pretty seriously), but the key is to know your limitations. we're a pretty core bunch of guys that take our ST riding pretty serious.
Something like a clean used Honda CRF450X or Yam WR450F is prefectly fine(and content)with puting around having fun on trails with your kids.
I don't think, however, you need a 2t motocross bike(regardless of yr).....power too angry/abrupt-no tolerance of whiskey throttle at all. Find you something that'll be forgiving, but not weigh as much as your street bike.  Which the above machines fit the bill nicely. They are forgiving bikes with ample power(trust me). And it's oh so true......that ground gets harder the older you get!  Sad
Remember, offroading(even dual trails-never mind single track-riding, as you'll quickly find out), does require you to be in some form of physical shape. Respect that...
Give it try. Use your head and you'll have fun.   Thumbsup
Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 33

Motorcycles: '04 Concours - '03 FZ1 - '05 KTM 525 - '09 CRF250X - '13 KTM 990 SM-T - '07 Yamaha R6S
GPS: Shenandoah County, VA
Miles Typed: 3540

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 09:17:40 pm »

Remember, offroading(even dual trails-never mind single track-riding, as you'll quickly find out), does require you to be in some form of physical shape. Respect that...

When I read the above I was reminded of an off-road acquaintance who has been known to say defensively "but ROUND is a shape". Actually he's more Wookie shaped than round. ok.... More overweight Wookie shaped I reckon, LOL

I may die with nothing to show for it but there will be a heck of a garage sale.
Ack535

Reputation 75

Motorcycles: 1998 CBR1100XX, 2005 CRF250X, 05 FJR R.I.P.
GPS: Williamston MI USA
Miles Typed: 949

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 08:52:13 am »

I am a big  fan of the 250 class. Not too heavy, but plenty of power and light/easy to manuver around. The top two bikes I settled on were the CRF250X and the WR250. I ended up with the CRF. Bike is set up for singletrack/two track riding with a plate etc. A lot of fun!

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr106/ack535/DSC00506.jpg

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr106/ack535/DSC00603.jpg

Pete
TwoTrackinFool

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: KTM 990 Adventure , RM 250 ... mixin gas n haulin a$$
GPS: In Michigan's lower Thumb ...
Miles Typed: 19

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 03:05:05 am »

I'm on an old RM 250 . Still motoX when I can . Little slower don't quite get the air I used to but I still ride . I'm 44.
Wanna get her set up for the woods . Can't see gettin rid of her I love mixed gas !

Neez in the Breez , or Dirt in my teeth
hannylicious

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: None at the moment
Miles Typed: 46

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 12:58:15 am »

The older I get, the less likely I am to take to the air.  I grew up in the dirt and just recently (last month) got a street bike because I haven't lived near a track in 5 years.  I'm 31 but motocross gave me a broken back, broken jaw, collerbones, hands, etc.  So my 'go big or go home' days are behind me because I've got two little guys who want a dad who can walk Smile - still got the '03 KTM 250sx though!

I will say this - you don't have to do every jump!  When it comes to MX, it's all in the corners.  Great story I love to tell guys who think jumps are everything (or punk kids these days!  Razz ) I Watched an older former pro-dirt tracker ride a beaten up, '91 CR250 against a (then) brand new '04 CR450 (the rider was mid-pack B level so he could go pretty good);  The guy on the 250 told the other guy "you can do every jump on the track, I won't do a single one, lets run 'em!"... so the B rider agreed thinking he had this in the bag.

The CR250 absolutely MURDERED the 450 without doing a single jump.  He rolled them all, but he absolutely murdered him in the straights/corners.  That's where it can be won!  

That said, OP can still race safely Smile  Or ride for fun!
Just tooling around on trails or even hitting the track days for practice is a blast - and when I got out of the sport 7-8 years ago, people were still really friendly everywhere I went.  Not a day goes by I don't miss it - but I don't have a good way to get my bike the 1.5 hours to a track anymore.  When I get out to my parents house (where my bike is stored) I still get out and go for a couple hour ride through the old trails I grew up on.  You might lose a little of the finer skills, but if you've ridden dirt once, you'll be fine to do it again Smile

BRAAAAAAAAAAP!
MMasz

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: Suzuki DR-Z400
Miles Typed: 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 11:14:32 am »

Just be aware that if you're over 50, a broken bone usually requires surgery with screws and plates versus a simple cast that younger folks would need.
elizabethhill

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: kawasaki
Miles Typed: 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 09:41:07 pm »

I'm 46, and still ride in the woods. A couple of the guys I have ridden with in the past were in their 70's. just remember you are not as "springy" as you once were. I think it is a great way to stay in shape and sharpen your skills for on the street. Enjoy!

I agree! No one is too old for something that they truly love. My uncle is 60 and he is still doing good with his bike! Just be extra careful. Sometimes your reflexes may not coordinate with how fats your mind reacts. Wink

Have the best sports tour experience with the Sporting Traveller
OU812

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: '14KX250F, '07WR250F, 89' GL1500(,Oldwing)
GPS: Buffalo Grove IL
Miles Typed: 2261

My Photo Gallery

The older I get, the faster I was...

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2014, 09:55:01 am »

54 and still loving the work out!  Bigsmile
I've got a 98 CR250 in Trevor FS. Bigsmile

The older I get the faster Ed was....Smile
Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 249

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 & 2016 Bandit 1250
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2220

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2014, 07:55:45 pm »

54 and still loving the work out!  Bigsmile
I've got a 98 CR250 in Trevor FS. Bigsmile
Good for you! If I could find a couple of buddies my age that wanted to ride dirt several weekends per month, I'd buy another dirt bike. Can't beat the workout. I'd probably buy a 250.

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '06 FJR1300(2 wks), '12 FJR1300
leobizslink

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Honda ZX
Miles Typed: 3

My Photo Gallery

My site: www.maxmotosports.com

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2015, 03:42:33 am »

Age is never the limitation

Welcome to my blog for practical motorcycle maintenance tips:
         http://www.maxmotosports.com/blog
mxvet57
Let's find some twisty's

Reputation -57

Motorcycles: 04 FJR1300 06 SPEED TRIPLE 88 EX500 05 YZ250 01 YZ 250 91 KX 500
GPS: Mt. prospect ill.
Miles Typed: 15844

My Photo Gallery

Loud horns save lives

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2015, 12:21:38 pm »

Age is never the limitation

But my knees and ankles are.

It's not the fall that will kill you it's that sudden stop

04 FJR 1300 1/4 million mile club and then some.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal