Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Italian Thunder—new Tuono Versus old Tuono  (Read 16993 times)

Mookie
1/31/07 Never forget

Reputation -363

Years Contributed: '07, '10
Motorcycles: Slotard and a Duke
GPS: land of the sea chickens
Miles Typed: 7831

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 07:26:47 pm »

I've always found the old Tuono attractive in a certain fashion, but the new one is to me a bit aesthetically challenged.  I wish they'd dome more to differentiate it from an RSV with slightly less plastic.

I really liked the 1st gen Tuonos, didn't care much for the 2nd gen, and totally dig the new ones.  I like the insectoid front end and the tiny tail.  That said, I think they look much better in person than in photos.

Mookie, the king of stupid Obamunist trolls on STN.
-FiremanBob
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 2627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2012, 02:49:44 pm »

...I think they look much better in person than in photos.

Yeah, I agree.  Photos don't do the new bike justice.

Personally I think that the tail of the 2007-2011 Tuono is one of the nicest looking shapes ever to grace a motorbike and if they'd put a tail like that on the back of the 2012 Tuono, it would be a knockout.  The latest front fairing and instruments are crisp, and a good upgrade.

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
miles

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13032

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013, 10:52:52 pm »

So I took a new V4 Tuono out for a spin the other day.  I didn't get to spend too much time on it, but my immediate impressions are that it's a spiffy bike.

It does look better in person than in photos, no doubt about that.  I like the yellow, but I imagine the yellow seat would look pretty ugly before too long with the conditions I tend to ride in.

The motor is good, but it's geared too high.  It needs a larger sprocket on it before it leaves the dealership.

The seat is very firm, and has an odd shape.  It isn't bad, just... different.  I could live with it.

The brakes are good.  The TC didn't do much for me except disallow big wheelies.  Then again, I didn't get a chance to scratch pegs, so...

The position is comfortable for me, but I'd change the handlebar if I bought it.  I'd like less sweep.

The quick shift and slipper clutch worked just as they should.  For comparison, I test rode an MV Brutale 1090 RR immediately afterward, and it had no power shifter or slipper clutch, and I thought that sucked.  In fact, I preferred the Tuono in every way over the Brutale exept looks.  The MV is prettier.

I'm seriously considering the Tuono for my next bike, but wondering if I want to wait until it comes with ABS and the larger tank from the current RSV4.

So, here's the conclusion.  I liked the bike, enough for it to climb to the top of my very short list of possible next bikes, but if I do buy it I'm going to budget the money for the Beater Tank.  Five and a half gallons is much better than 3.9 for the riding I like to do.  If I knew the late-year model 2013 Tuono would have ABS (as is rumored) then I'll simply wait.  Otherwise I might try to scoop up a NOS 2012 at the $1000 discount being offered.

Three points where two lines meet
Advertisement

Croak

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: 03 Aprilia Tuono, '13 Kymco Agility City 200i
GPS: Is-Swieqi/San Ġiljan, Malta
Miles Typed: 1527

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 12:28:44 am »

Personally, I'd wait for the ABS version, not so much for the ABS as the larger tank that also HAS to come with it (said tank will not retrofit on the older bikes, btw), and I'm pretty sure it'll also see the motor tweaks the RSV4 ABS is receiving as well, good for a few ponies.  All combined it's worth the grand difference.

And there's a chance (chance) of a Tuono Factory version coming for the 2014 model, which will be quite a bit more expensive, but the tits indeed, and should offer up a new colorway as well, if history is any guide.

That Beater tank is hella expensive, but combine that with a lower cost new 2012 (or even a used one, they're out there) it might work out pretty close to the cost of a 2013 ABS.

There's a lot to like about the TV4, (and a lot to dislike coming from the older model) but I found the lack of range the ultimate deal-breaker.  I frequently push my luck on my 1st Gen Tuono.

Which is why I've got serious eyes for the new Caponord.  I really do prefer a twin, nice as that V4 is, it has a big tank, is light for the class, and overall will likely be more like an old-school Tuono than the new V4 Tuono in terms of the riding experience and power delivery.
miles

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13032

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2013, 10:26:10 am »

Running out of gas sucks, and running out of gas 90 miles from our last gas stop.sucks more. Sure, at $2k the beater tank is very expensive, but if it cures the one serious flaw in thbikethen maybe it's worth it. Aprilia really doesn't want you changing pipes on the bike, so figure that's where the tank budget comes from.
The larger tank in the current RSV4 is only 1.5L bigger, so we're only talking about another ten miles farther down the road before running dry.

Three points where two lines meet
MorrisGray

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Looking for my next bike
Miles Typed: 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 09:52:18 am »

I realize this is not a current topic but I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your review. If you are not a journalist, I think you would be a great one. Awesome write up man!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal