Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: GS500F on Craigslist--Good price?  (Read 3295 times)

medjen

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 2007 Ninja 250
GPS: Mitten Land
Miles Typed: 68

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: September 23, 2012, 05:32:17 pm »

http://lansing.craigslist.org/mcy/3200003464.html

After a couple emails back and forth with the current (second) owner, there's good tread depth left on the tires, one small scuff to the fairing decals where the previous owner dropped it. Current owner is a licensed mechanic so has done all the maintenance himself: yearly oil changes, new spark plugs at 2k miles, and a new battery last spring. Garage stored.

Seems like a decent deal to me on the model of bike I'm most interested in, but they guy's a bit of a hike from me, so before I go all the way out there, I thought I'd ask you knowledgeable folks. Smile
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

MadMax96
Old Skool Forever

Reputation 5

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: 2014 FJR1300A
GPS: Round Lake, IL
Miles Typed: 1273

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 02:03:49 pm »

http://lansing.craigslist.org/mcy/3200003464.html

After a couple emails back and forth with the current (second) owner, there's good tread depth left on the tires, one small scuff to the fairing decals where the previous owner dropped it. Current owner is a licensed mechanic so has done all the maintenance himself: yearly oil changes, new spark plugs at 2k miles, and a new battery last spring. Garage stored.

Seems like a decent deal to me on the model of bike I'm most interested in, but they guy's a bit of a hike from me, so before I go all the way out there, I thought I'd ask you knowledgeable folks. Smile

Personally I wouldn't spend that much on such a small bike.  That 500 engine has been around forever - all Suzuki did was wrap the GS500E with a fairing and call it the "F" model.  

You should be able to find a nice Bandit 600 for that same price - or even a 1200 if you look hard enough.

Have you checked KBB?  For my zip code retail is $2300 and trade in is $1500 - you should be aiming for something in the middle.  Retail is what a dealer might ask - and in this market you could probably get it for closer to $2k - my opinion anyway.

-Matt
medjen

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 02:47:56 pm »

Personally I wouldn't spend that much on such a small bike.  That 500 engine has been around forever - all Suzuki did was wrap the GS500E with a fairing and call it the "F" model.  

You should be able to find a nice Bandit 600 for that same price - or even a 1200 if you look hard enough.

Have you checked KBB?  For my zip code retail is $2300 and trade in is $1500 - you should be aiming for something in the middle.  Retail is what a dealer might ask - and in this market you could probably get it for closer to $2k - my opinion anyway.

Thanks for the input!

As a not-very-big/tall almost-beginner, the gs500f seemed like a decent bike and had what I wanted: low-ish seat height, a bit of a fairing, controllable power, reliable engine, newb-friendly, etc. I even found a set of brackets that'll let me mount some decent hard bags. I'm coming from a 1986 Honda Rebel, so I'm looking to not go TOO crazy...

KBB pricing for me is similar to yours, though local-ish pricing is at or above the bike I posted (though many of those have been listed since the beginning of the summer or before), so perhaps folks just aren't realistic. There are a few that are even posted at higher than they went for retail when new... for a 4-6 year old bike   I'm also learning that low-mileage bikes are the rule, not the exception as their owners would believe.

This guy didn't sound like he'd had much interest, so he might go for a lower price to get it off his hands...

Bandits seem to be in short supply here... the two 600s (both 2001s) I've found are listed for 3k and 3800.
Advertisement

Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

Motorcycles: Something old, it's not blue, nor 'tis borrowed, so screw you.
Miles Typed: 3345

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 02:55:39 pm »

There's a lot to be said for the reliability and simplicity of that old-style machine, too. I like the package over all. $2500 isn't awful, and you do have the quality of scarcity to buff that price IF you want THAT bike.

It's a good machine. Only you can decide if it's $2500 good enough for you, though.

Around here, $2500 gets you rashed up, abused, rode-hard crap from wannabe stuntaz and rev-limiter heroes.  Thumbsdown

"Chris is correct." -- bomber
ScottysB12
Motorcycleless

Reputation 11

Miles Typed: 2643

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 03:26:21 pm »

I know of a 2003 Bandit 1200 to be had for 2500 Smile

2003 Bandit 1200S - sold to a good home
Porterville, CA
Gold Bond - it's like a 1,000 little gnomes with icey hands massaging your boys.
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 03:27:43 pm »

Make the deal; I'll help deliver it. I want some road time.  Bigsmile

medjen

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 04:00:23 pm »

There's a lot to be said for the reliability and simplicity of that old-style machine, too. I like the package over all. $2500 isn't awful, and you do have the quality of scarcity to buff that price IF you want THAT bike.

It's a good machine. Only you can decide if it's $2500 good enough for you, though.

Around here, $2500 gets you rashed up, abused, rode-hard crap from wannabe stuntaz and rev-limiter heroes.  Thumbsdown

Thanks for the input. I suppose that's an important point: What's the bike worth to me. At my size and experience level, I don't have quite as many options as some other folks might.

I know of a 2003 Bandit 1200 to be had for 2500 Smile

Make the deal; I'll help deliver it. I want some road time.  Bigsmile

Lol I don't know what I'd do with that much displacement...
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 04:22:35 pm »

Lol I don't know what I'd do with that much displacement...

While there are times when you can have too little, you can NEVER have too much. :-)

(I say that in practical terms, not in "faster is better" terms)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal