zigzag

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910R
GPS: Albuquerque, NM
Miles Typed: 85

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 11:43:08 am »

Never understood this style (Multistrada included) until I hit 45. Now I'm all over it. My next bike. Sadly reports are 2014 Q1 release.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 12:18:56 pm »

I cannot get comfortable on those cup like seats.  The Multi I test rode (as lovely as it is) was so uncomfortable for me.  The first thing I did when I picked up the 990 Adventure was to replace the cup like stock seat with a Renazco which was more flat and spacious.  

For a few more lbs., I'll keep my current ST rig which can go as many places off paved roads as this 'Priller.  That said, I'm glad to see more diversity in the "adventure touring" segment.  

Now, when the hell is someone going to put out a proper 450-650cc thumper adventure like the old 640 Adventure or the current Yamaha Tenere!?!?   Inlove   I'd be all over one of those.  
staedtler

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 996R (track)
GPS: Austin, TX
Miles Typed: 841

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 08:39:40 pm »

Thumbsup i'd hit that

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:57:20 pm by staedtler » Logged
Advertisement

mugwump58

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3943

My Photo Gallery

The sign is gone :-(

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 09:19:38 pm »

Hmmm just looked on Aprilia USA and I don't see it.

May you only ever meet people with headlights just like yours.
Croak

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: 03 Aprilia Tuono, '13 Kymco Agility City 200i
GPS: Is-Swieqi/San Ġiljan, Malta
Miles Typed: 1527

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 09:44:45 pm »

It comes in red!  RED!  That color works really well on the bike, much better than the white and black prototypes that were on the show circuit.  It looks like they're dealing with the "too big looking" side fairing with strategic stripes to break the visual mass up, though black stripes on the red bike may have worked better than the white.

As for not seeing it on the website, it's not for sale anywhere in the world yet, hasn't even had a press event other than those static demo bikes at ECMIA last year.  It might hit the showrooms this year sometime, and probably in Europe several months before North America.

Oh, and that "ADD"?  Essentially Aprilia's branding of the same Sachs Skyhook system found on the new Multistrada and GS.
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 09:47:18 am »

ADD is a much better marketing term for the likes of us  Bigok
Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 09:55:46 pm »

Brochure (in Italian):

http://caponord.aprilia.com/downloads/aprilia-caponord-1200_brochure.pdf

Takeaway...about 5HP less than the Dursoduro 1200, with the same torque max but hitting peak 400 RPM sooner.  

24 liter tank

Looks like ADD is an option (then again APRC was an option on the new Tuono, but all the North American bikes came with it).

Also looks like the panniers are optional (and that they add 30 pounds, racks and all).  

Finally, it has a 690W alternator, which is more than adequate, considering the buyers of this bike probably won't be packing all the farkles the ADV types like to strap on.  

You know, the typical heated seat, heated grips, heated pegs, heated electric screen, heated winch, heated aux lights, heated aux lights for the aux lights, heated aux/aux/aux/aux lights, heated blinkers, heated GPS, heated backup GPS, heated Spot, heated panniers, heated pannier racks, heated top box, heated grab rails, heated tool tube, heated socks, heated six man tent, heated pants, heated vest, heated helmet, heated visor, heated hyperbole).

Luckily, that 17" front wheel and low-mount exhaust may have saved it from that sort of fate.  Smile
Oxman

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 09 guzzi norge / 01 guzzi Jackal / 13 Ktm Duke 690
Miles Typed: 130

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 11:08:24 am »

hmmm the Caponord  looks sweet  Inlove ...Any idea on when its to show its face here in the great white north ?
Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2013, 06:13:45 pm »

More info, the English site is now live:

http://caponord.aprilia.com/en/versions.html

Three colors (Red, White, Gray) and two models.  The base model comes with ABS, ATC, RBW, and the Travel Pack model adds ADD, cruise, panniers, and center stand.

Pretty good list of launch accessories (for a ROAD bike), including a quick-release top box (looks to be in the 30L range) a tank bag that clips onto the existing plastic tank cover, tail bag, heated grips, gel saddles (with low option), ASV/Pazzo style CNC levers, factory tail tidy, bling mirrors, CF fender, titanium slip-on, and more.

I think I'll have the Rosso with Travel Pack, please.  With grips, box, tank bag, tail bag, gel seat, levers, slip-on and CF fender.

http://caponord.aprilia.com/img/large/gallery_29.jpg

http://caponord.aprilia.com/img/large/gallery_23.jpg

http://caponord.aprilia.com/img/large/gallery_20.jpg
SalsaShark

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '12 Aprilia Tuono v4r
GPS: SC (for now)
Miles Typed: 356

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2013, 07:18:23 pm »

The want is strong with this one...
Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 04:08:34 pm »

MCN has their (usual) ultra-brief first ride teaser up:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/First-rides-tests/2013/March/mar1313-aprilia-caponord-first-ride/

"The ride is seriously good it glides over lumps and imperfections. The Traction control is working overtime but is coping well and there's a pleasing bark from the V-twin which has been detuned to 125bhp or the same as BMW's new GS for this role."

"It's pretty good value too. UK prices have been announced as 10,599 for the base model and a little over 12K for the fully-specced version, which, considering the tech, is keen indeed. For example, it's suspension is more sophisticated than Ducati's Multistrada yet the bike is a lot cheaper, too."
mugwump58

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3943

My Photo Gallery

The sign is gone :-(

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 06:48:52 pm »

Without taking all kinds of other factors into account, loaded $18K. On the up side MCN has an F 800GT for testing.

May you only ever meet people with headlights just like yours.
Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 07:03:21 pm »

I'm pretty sure the high-spec version will come in under $17k in the US.  

Don't forget that MCN GBP price quote is also with 20% UK VAT included, and as we all know, even after you subtract the VAT we almost always get bikes cheaper here than a straight exchange rate conversion would suggest.

And BMW is still flogging that buzzy, 8-year old F800 platform?  Should we care?
Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2013, 05:49:17 pm »

Another brief first ride report:

This week I was in Sardinia for the press launch of the all new Aprilia Caponord 1200 and WOW they have produced a stunner!

Aprilia have slotted a 1200cc V twin engine into a new lightweight frame and developed a host of sophisticated electronics; ride by wire system with three engine maps; switchable two channel ABS; traction control (ATC) with three user settings; Aprilia Dynamic Damping (ADD) with 4 predefined spring preload positions and a very nifty automatic setting where the bike works out the loading and sets the damping accordingly.

There's also a very effective cruise control (ACC) which holds the desired speed up or down hill without having to adjust the throttle.

A height adjustable windshield for better wind protection. Even the exhaust silencer is height adjustable to give more ground clearance when the styled panniers have been removed and you fancy a back road scratching session!

A full review will be in the next issue of Adventure Bike Rider magazine out at the end of April don't miss it!

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/component/content/article/1-latest-news/857-aprilia-launch-all-new-caponord-1200.html
Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2013, 02:51:37 pm »

Some footage of a journo on the road with one.

The guy is a more aggressive with his body positioning than I'd be in denim, that's for sure.
Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2013, 02:49:53 am »

Moar video!

Raw footage from Tor Sagem (without his normal cheesy titles or bad music).

Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2013, 04:58:11 pm »

One more blast of foreign language reviews that Google translate fairly well.  Expect the English ones to start appearing the the coming week:

From Spain:
http://motos.coches.net/noticias/aprilia/caponord/1200/

Another Italian:
http://www.red-live.it/test/test-moto/prova-aprilia-caponord-1200/

A bit of French (actually more than a bit, this is a comprehensive and sometimes critical, dense 6-page look at the bike):
http://www.moto-net.com/actualites-motos-5224-Essais-et-Tests-TEST-Essai-Caponord-1200-:-le-trail-sportif-selon-Aprilia.html

And another French report:
http://www.lerepairedesmotards.com/essais/motos/aprilia-caponord-1200.php

And this select quote from a Greek site (bolding mine):
And when we got on the bike and started the turns (not told to finish), the semi-active suspension ADD (Aprilia Dynamic Damping) at once transformed the Caponord, from Sport-Touring in ... SUPERBIKE-Touring ! No exaggeration. Only events. semi-active suspension works incredibly well, making it currently the most impressive technology in the field, with the most readily discernible effects on the behavior of a motorcycle!
Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2013, 06:49:51 pm »

Sick of me yet?

No?  Good. 

Here's an edited version from Tor Sagem (complete with music and bad titles), with some snippets from the video a couple posts back combined with fresh footage, along with his thoughts on the bike (at 4:00).  Also includes some quotes from Aprilia engineers at the press briefing, notably talking about Skyhook ("I don't want to tell you about miracles, because this is not the truth."), and even a little bit of stand-up-off-pavement riding at 8:48 (why, I don't know, but it's there).

Oxman

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 09 guzzi norge / 01 guzzi Jackal / 13 Ktm Duke 690
Miles Typed: 130

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2013, 09:38:33 pm »

Nice looking bike but it sounds like its hard parts like the tarmac on the tight corners ..
Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2013, 10:24:17 pm »

Nice looking bike but it sounds like its hard parts like the tarmac on the tight corners ..

Yeah, watched the video a few times, thinking it was the centre stand, a perennial Piaggio problem.  It's not, it's the hero blobs on the pegs touching down, and that's dead simple to sort.  

Also notice that Tor was riding all Teutonic style, straight up and down.  So you can remove the blobs, or hang a shoulder/cheek/knee off the bike a bit so you don't need as much lean angle.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal