Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 8  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: New and Improved (and hopefully longer lasting) WCRM 2013 Thread.  (Read 40648 times)

miles

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13074

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« on: November 12, 2012, 07:53:12 pm »

Even though Alturas was the crowd pick at WCRM 2012, posters here seemed to agree the place is a dump.  Various locales have been suggested, ranging from Weaverville (a suburb of Fortuna) To Baker City (a suburb of Bend).

Let the discussion range far and wide as to locales, but please stay on topic and keep it to WCRM locations, and their relative merits.

Edited to add official nominations:

John Day, OR June 7-9
Weaverville, CA, either June 7-9 or  june 21-23
Weed or Minden, dates unknown
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 07:09:13 pm by miles » Logged

Three points where two lines meet
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

bubba zanetti
2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 16 Dr650.

Reputation 69

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 6819

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 07:55:19 pm »

Now I have never been able to attend mind, despite a strong desire to ... that said - let the planning begin and lets choose a place and date to "most" folks liking. Polls ... we don't need no stinkin polls !!!  Lol

NorCal or Southern Orygun is my preference ... but given the right date I am easy, I am going to throw out Weaverville as one of my favourite places and areas to ride.

Perfect little motel in Weaverville ...  http://www.moteltrinity.com  ... and I am willing to organize the accommodations if in Trinity due to familiarity.  As for date my preference is mid to late June.

View Larger Map

... your turn  Bigok

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:33:36 pm by bubba zanetti » Logged
miles

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 08:15:46 pm »

Although I am among the Southernmost members who ever attend the WCRMs, I personally have no objection to moving the festivities farther north than the West Coast (of the US) halfway mark, which is Northern California.

I could live with Baker City or Ashland (both have been mentioned).  Heck I'd even be willing to travel to Walla Walla if that's the popular consensus...

Advertisement

mcrider007

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2014 FJR-ES, 2012 S10, 2010 C14A
GPS: Kennewick, WA
Miles Typed: 351

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 10:41:33 pm »

Even though Alturas was the crowd pick at WCRM 2012, posters here seemed to agree the place is a dump.  Various locales have been suggested, ranging from Weaverville (a suburb of Fortuna) To Baker City (a suburb of Bend).

I was one of the dozen or so that actually attended WCRM 2012 but somehow missed the vote.  I don't think Alturas is a dump, just very small,  but it never would have received my vote because the roads surrounding the area are mostly straight and boring.  My favorite places to ride are Central Oregon (John Day/Baker City area) and Northern California west of I-5.  Both areas offer great curvy roads with elevation changes, few towns, and light traffic.  But...........Baker City is too long of trip for those living in Southern California and we need to increase attendance if WCRM is going to continue to be a viable event.  I attended Fortuna from 2006 to 2010 and while it was a great location to ride to and from, the weather was quite a different matter.  Weaverville offers the same roads as Fortuna but looks like a much better option weather wise.  I also think Red Bluff could also be a very viable option given that it hosts 36 to the west and some pretty good riding  to the east.
greench440
Stay Thirsty My Friends

Reputation 19

Motorcycles: 05 FJR, 91 ZX-11 - SOLD!
GPS: Covington WA
Miles Typed: 3499

My Photo Gallery

What we have here is failure to communicate

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 10:49:41 pm »

Weaverville, Quincy, Downieville or Arnold again all sound good to me.

ATGATT - All the Garbage all the time
NuckaMan

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2008 BMW GSA, 2012 Kawi Concours 14
GPS: Orange County, California
Miles Typed: 71

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 10:57:29 pm »

SoCal'er here.

I'm OK with with distance (and little wet weather for that matter, would always prefer dry of course).

I just hope the final decided location has a drinking establishment within walking distance from my bed.

I'll be planning my work and travel schedule around this meet.
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 11:01:24 pm »

Now I have never been able to attend mind, despite a strong desire to ... that said - let the planning begin and lets choose a place and date to "most" folks liking. Polls ... we don't need no stinkin polls !!!  Lol

NorCal or Southern Orygun is my preference ... but given the right date I am easy, I am going to throw out Weaverville as one of my favourite places and areas to ride.

Perfect little motel in Weaverville ...  http://www.moteltrinity.com  ... and I am willing to organize the accommodations if in Trinity due to familiarity.  As for date my preference is mid to late June.

View Larger Map

... your turn  Bigok

My personal opinion is that Weaverville is a fine place (nicely east of the rain usually associated with Fortuna) 3 & 36 ROCK!!!!!
Is there logging and a Pub? OK someone had to ask Bigsmile

I am personally willing to travel up to 1000 miles (one day) anywhere form the SF Bay.

P.S. what happened to the first thread????  Sorry I don't check in that often.

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
miles

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 11:18:56 pm »

Here's the thing about Weaverville.  We'd be riding exactly the same roads we would hit if the meet were held in Fortuna, so in that sense the weather is exactly the same as it would be if we stayed in Fortuna.  The only advantage would possibly be dry bikes in the parking lot of the motel.  The way to beat the crummy weather would be to change the traditional dates, but then we would run into hotter weather inland.

That said, I love the roads in that area, and being from SoCal I'm extremely accustomed to riding in the pouring rain and it doesn't bother me one bit.   Bigok

mcrider007

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2014 FJR-ES, 2012 S10, 2010 C14A
GPS: Kennewick, WA
Miles Typed: 351

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 11:48:07 pm »

Here's the thing about Weaverville.  We'd be riding exactly the same roads we would hit if the meet were held in Fortuna, so in that sense the weather is exactly the same as it would be if we stayed in Fortuna.  The only advantage would possibly be dry bikes in the parking lot of the motel.  The way to beat the crummy weather would be to change the traditional dates, but then we would run into hotter weather inland.

That said, I love the roads in that area, and being from SoCal I'm extremely accustomed to riding in the pouring rain and it doesn't bother me one bit.   Bigok

Speaking for myself, if the weather is crappy on the coast then I will not be riding the same roads that I would if the meet were held in Fortuna, Highway 96 and 3 are all on the dry side of the mountains, as are a couple of other very good roads in the Weaverville area.  Being from Washington, I can handle the rain OK but I get a little nervous in the mountains when it starts snowing and the temperatures get down to 32 degrees (like it did on 36 in 2010).
viffergyrl

Reputation 32

Motorcycles: 99 Honda VFR 800 2001 Ducati ST4
GPS: 1 hour northwest of LA-LA Land....
Miles Typed: 1301

My Photo Gallery

Road Witch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 12:15:42 am »

Look I'm just hanging to see what happens next. I made WCRM in 2011 - one of six. I could do Fortuna/Weaverville all over again but I also could do..... anything else that has awesome roads.  Bigsmile (Awesome covers a lot of different roads.)

There are enough opinions to chose. And enough dates to chose. At the end of the day I'll either make it... or not. But I won't be whining about that.

Bring it on.

:popcorn:

Don't argue with an idiot; people might not be able to tell the difference - Anonymous

1999 Honda VFR 800 (the Vixen) 2001 Ducati ST4 (Stanley)
coho
Just here for the pie.

Reputation 26

Motorcycles: BMW R1100RT Yamaha StFU200 ("the dumbbike")
GPS: is for people who can't read maps (PNW)
Miles Typed: 2758

My Photo Gallery

I see what you did there.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 02:53:35 am »

:popcorn:

"Always be yourself. Unless you suck, then be somebody else."

"My anecdotal evidence can beat up your anecdotal evidence."
bubba zanetti

Reputation 69

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 11:40:02 am »

Red Bluff or Quincy look good too.  

Does it ever rain in Red Bluff ?  Cool
miles

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 01:23:39 pm »

Does it ever rain in Red Bluff ?  Cool

No.  It gets hotter than a crack pipe by mid May, though.

Nodaclu
Laps Timed By Sundial

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: Pending...
GPS: Sacramento, CA
Miles Typed: 1471

My Photo Gallery

Wait...what?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 04:22:51 pm »

No.  It gets hotter than a crack pipe by mid May, though.

True, but no one will actually BE in Red Bluff during the hot part of the day (if they're smart that is).  Bigsmile

By the time everyone gets back for dinner, it will have cooled off to the upper 80's.

Since all my yammering in the other thread was blasted away, I'll just offer up the locales that made sense to me:

1. Minden, NV (near both curves and straights, street and dirt - my #1 choice for its variety nearby)
2. Ashland, OR
3. Red Bluff, CA
4. Weed/Dunsmuir, CA

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle...
Rob707

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: BMW K1200RS
GPS: Eureka Ca.
Miles Typed: 250

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 04:38:12 pm »

I like the idea of Weaverville, but I'll probably attend regardless of where it's held.  I think Weaverville has all the things we need and is probably the next best setup after Fortuna.  They've got decent motels, food and of course beer, all nicely condensed on Main Street.  

As far as riding the same roads; I think being two hours inland from the coast opens a lot of possibilities for different day trips that wouldn't be possible if you were riding from the coast.  Callahan to Cecilville or Happy Camp to Cave Junction loops would be possible from Weaverville to mention a couple.  Lassen is easily done in a day and of course there's 36-3-96-1.  The Lost Coast, FS route 1, the list goes on.  Ashlund gets mentioned every year but I've only ridden the main roads there to get to somewhere else.  What's the riding like there?

The weather is of course a crap shoot regardless of where it is.  But as a person that has lived here for decades I'd say the sweet spot would be the weekend of the June 16th.  Late enough for the rain to be over and early enough to avoid the heat.

There I was, minding my own business, when suddenly....all hell broke loose.
greench440
Stay Thirsty My Friends

Reputation 19

Motorcycles: 05 FJR, 91 ZX-11 - SOLD!
GPS: Covington WA
Miles Typed: 3499

My Photo Gallery

What we have here is failure to communicate

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 05:47:54 pm »

As far as riding the same roads; I think being two hours inland from the coast opens a lot of possibilities for different day trips that wouldn't be possible if you were riding from the coast.  

That's what I was thinking too.

ATGATT - All the Garbage all the time
bubba zanetti

Reputation 69

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 07:33:51 pm »

I like the idea of Weaverville, but I'll probably attend regardless of where it's held.  I think Weaverville has all the things we need and is probably the next best setup after Fortuna.  They've got decent motels, food and of course beer, all nicely condensed on Main Street.  

As far as riding the same roads; I think being two hours inland from the coast opens a lot of possibilities for different day trips that wouldn't be possible if you were riding from the coast.  Callahan to Cecilville or Happy Camp to Cave Junction loops would be possible from Weaverville to mention a couple.  Lassen is easily done in a day and of course there's 36-3-96-1.  The Lost Coast, FS route 1, the list goes on.  Ashlund gets mentioned every year but I've only ridden the main roads there to get to somewhere else.  What's the riding like there?

The weather is of course a crap shoot regardless of where it is.  But as a person that has lived here for decades I'd say the sweet spot would be the weekend of the June 16th.  Late enough for the rain to be over and early enough to avoid the heat.

You mean like this  Bigok

View Larger Map
Rob707

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: BMW K1200RS
GPS: Eureka Ca.
Miles Typed: 250

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 07:39:48 pm »

Yep! Thumbsup

There I was, minding my own business, when suddenly....all hell broke loose.
bubba zanetti

Reputation 69

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 08:54:05 pm »

Yep! Thumbsup

You always were a persuasive ST.n'er with that damn logic and common sense of yours.   Bigok

But, like Rob .. and especially if it is not the first weekend in June - which I can never make - I will go with the consensus and attend.  

Oh, and will try to guilt a bunch of canucks ... bunch Headscratch ... gaggle ... festoon ... yeah ... Festoon of Cunuckistanians to invade you once again !
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 08:59:02 pm by bubba zanetti » Logged
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 10:09:59 pm »

You mean like this  Bigok

View Larger Map

I have done that loop and it ROCKED!!!
 YA got my vote Thumbsup

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 8  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal