Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: ESTN 2013: Catskills (Capra Inn, Hancock, NY, Sept 20 - 22)  (Read 43415 times)

joe503

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Kawi 00 w650 05 Kawi connie
GPS: south jersey
Miles Typed: 32

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2013, 06:21:24 pm »

Had lunch at the Hancock House, on bike trip to Old Forge in the Adirondacks in 2010. Good lunch, and great bar with a good beer selection. Parking lot is in the rear. Hancock was a neat little town. Area is a very popular place for trout fishing.

Smith's is about 2 miles south of there on 17. not much between Smith's and Hancock.

i may just make this ESTN gathering.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

joe503

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Kawi 00 w650 05 Kawi connie
GPS: south jersey
Miles Typed: 32

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2013, 06:23:22 pm »

Correction Smith's is on 97 not 17.
Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2009 BMW K1200LT (trunkless)
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 1873

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2013, 07:17:06 pm »

Campsite link is wrong.  Is twin falls in PA?

MarkF

new bike - BMW K1200LT & old bikes - BMW R1150GS, Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Yammie TW200, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Advertisement

maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys. the Goblin is gone.
GPS: McCandless township PA>
Miles Typed: 5189

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2013, 08:58:12 am »

Smith’s has a total of 17 rooms; one is already booked for that weekend.  A total of 16 rooms are currently available.

There are a other motels around Hancock within a few miles of Smiths, such as Capra Inn Motel, Point Mountain Lodge.  I will get some group rates for us on Tuesday.  Twin Falls Campground has tent sites a few miles away.

The nicest looking to me is Bass Hancock House Hotel.  They sounded open to hosting a group event when I spoke to them on the phone, and all rooms are currently available.  A little on the $$ side, but they could host us all & have a bar, and dining & a bar available.
Standard rate is $145/night + tax – 32 rooms available.  
“In downtown Hancock, but within walking distance of the Delaware River, this new hotel is designed to look and feel considerably older: [Rooms are] good-sized and tastefully appointed with Mission furniture and top-quality linens -- and are quite a good deal. The hotel has extra features, such as Honest Eddie's Tap Room and the '50s-style Fannie's Cafe (serving breakfast and lunch) that make it especially appealing to groups and families that don't necessarily want to venture out for meals.”

This is beginning to look like a “Burger Run” scenario to me.  [Thx Garry, the love-hate thing with my Wee is still strong.  LOL]  In other words, we pick a main hotel, and anyone who can’t get a reservation there or wants a less expensive or nicer accommodations makes their reservation somewhere nearby.  The 3 motels listed in this post are within a mile of each other.

Any thoughts about that :pokestick: or are you guys all out riding  Headscratch

I feel this would work well. But we would still need a nearby food place as the one here is not a open for dinner place.

I occasionally attend some STN events    Wink
Skee

Reputation 67

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '08 Wee, 2013 Connie
GPS: SE PA
Miles Typed: 1968

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2013, 09:34:56 am »

Campsite link is wrong.  Is twin falls in PA?

That link came from Google.  I noticed the same thing before I posted it.  I figured maybe one of you might know something about it.   Could be wrong, or it could be that they own the campsite and the link goes to their business address.  Google does that sometimes.  I'll give the campsite a call Tuesday and get some info.

I'd rather be riding anywhere with you than sitting at this d@mn keyboard.
Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2013, 11:42:06 am »

This is the closets campsite to Hancock I could find:

http://www.oxbowcampsites.com/

MarkF

new bike - BMW K1200LT & old bikes - BMW R1150GS, Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Yammie TW200, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Skee

Reputation 67

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2013, 09:55:46 pm »

I'm feeling frustrated with this search - best I can come up with so far

Capra Inn-Motel, 521 W Main St Hancock, NY 13783  
Group Rate for a single occupancy is $50/night + 13% tax (~$56.50 total), double occupancy $60/night + tax, triple+ is $65/night + tax.
Has 17 rooms all with double beds.  Is motorcycle friendly.  The manager rides.  Gets good reviews on various sites.  All rooms currently available.  Nice parking lot.
Campers – not confirmed; can’t promise – possibility there may be tent sites available nearby.
Dining options – good restaurant open for B,L,D ~0.5 mile across river, also other options in town
May be the best option I can find in this area.  My thought is that it is too small for our size group; assuming there is a good turnout this year.

Main shortcoming is a shortage of rooms.   Folks who don’t get a reservation end up having to take a room nearby.   Overflow option is the Bass Hancock Hotel – 20 rooms currently available – other end of town about 1 mile from Capra.  Group rate of $135/night  + 13% tax = $ 152.55 total

Other options include Oneonta; room rates there are typically $100+/night.

What do you think?  SUGGESTIONS?  New location?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:16:57 pm by Skee » Logged

Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2013, 10:43:58 pm »

Maybe there just aren't enough rooms to handle our group in the western Catskills. A couple years ago we took over one big motel and overflowed into another in Lake Placid. I don't remember how many. Maybe someone else does and can confirm that is the norm for NY.  Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

MarkF

garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2013, 08:31:18 am »

I'm feeling frustrated with this search - best I can come up with so far

Capra Inn-Motel, 521 W Main St Hancock, NY 13783
Group Rate for a single occupancy is $50/night + 13% tax (~$56.50 total), double occupancy $60/night + tax, triple+ is $65/night + tax.
Has 17 rooms all with double beds.  Is motorcycle friendly.  The manager rides.  Gets good reviews on various sites.  All rooms currently available.  Nice parking lot.
Campers – not confirmed; can’t promise – possibility there may be tent sites available nearby.
Dining options – good restaurant open for B,L,D ~0.5 mile across river, also other options in town
May be the best option I can find in this area.  My thought is that it is too small for our size group; assuming there is a good turnout this year.

Main shortcoming is a shortage of rooms.   Folks who don’t get a reservation end up having to take a room nearby.   Overflow option is the Bass Hancock Hotel – 20 rooms currently available – other end of town about 1 mile from Capra.  Group rate of $135/night  + 13% tax = $ 152.55 total

Other options include Oneonta; room rates there are typically $100+/night.

What do you think?  SUGGESTIONS?  New location?

Unless someone can come up with a better plan, it sounds like the Capra Inn Motel is the winner. 17 doubles should cover 30 people. Overflow can go to the spendier Bass hotel at the other end of town (0.8 miles away) or opt for the quieter, more rustic surroundings of Smith's Colonial (2 miles south of town).

BTW, what weekend did you inquire about? I think that the weekends of Sept 21/22 and 28/29 were both on the table.

When I was organizing the Lake Placid ESTN, I had the same issue with lodging: hotels are either too small for a group of 50 or more expensive than we want (>$100 night).

Thanks for doing the research Skee. I'm just swamped with work/life right now.

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
Skee

Reputation 67

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2013, 10:40:01 am »

I specifically inquired about Sep 20 - 22.

eSONG

Reputation 4

GPS: Northampton, MA
Miles Typed: 138

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2013, 11:29:52 pm »

is the group definitely leanings towards hotels or is camping still an option?  

has anyone checked any of these catskills campsites?

http://www.visitthecatskills.com/index.php/listings/section/3

http://nysparks.com/parks/park-results.aspx?a=754&ao=0&src=3&cap=1

http://dec-campgrounds.com/

2007 Kymco Grandvista 250, 2006 KTM 950 SM, 2001 Yamaha R1 (naked).
Skee

Reputation 67

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2013, 02:58:09 pm »

Another option:

Southern Catskills

COMFORT INN & SUITES GOSHEN  NY  
$75 per night + 13% tax = $85  

They can provide 25 (or more) rooms as needed.  [Motel has 96 rooms.]  Doesn't appear to be tent sites nearby.  Good reviews, dining options somewhat limited but there are lots of pizza places within a mile
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:15:53 pm by Skee » Logged

maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2013, 04:12:39 pm »

Another option:

Southern Catskills

COMFORT INN & SUITES GOSHEN  NY  
$75 per night + 13% tax = $85  

They can provide 25 (or more) rooms as needed.  [Motel has 96 rooms.]  Doesn't appear to be tent sites nearby.  Good reviews, dining options somewhat limited but there are lots of pizza places within a mile

Thumbsup Thumbsup

Skee

Reputation 67

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2013, 12:16:28 pm »

Doug - Garry - Anybody?

Does anybody know how many people attended or how many rooms we had at ESTN 2012?

I looked back and estimated maybe 20 rooms, because some of us doubled-up.

How about ESTN at Lake Placid?  I think it was close to the same number - as I recall, most of us were able to cram into the bed of a pickup for a ride into town.

Reason is, if attendance has historically required 15 - 20 rooms, then we could use the Capra motel on western side of Catskills and probably be OK.  Nice thing about the Capra, we could pretty much have it to ourselves Saturday night.  If we need 20+ to 25 or more, then we should choose Comfort Inn on southside.

Personally, although I like the location of the Capra better, if I had to call it today, I'd go with the Comfort Inn.

Any thoughts?

garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2013, 01:19:41 pm »

Doug - Garry - Anybody?

Does anybody know how many people attended or how many rooms we had at ESTN 2012?

I looked back and estimated maybe 20 rooms, because some of us doubled-up.

How about ESTN at Lake Placid?  I think it was close to the same number - as I recall, most of us were able to cram into the bed of a pickup for a ride into town.

Reason is, if attendance has historically required 15 - 20 rooms, then we could use the Capra motel on western side of Catskills and probably be OK.  Nice thing about the Capra, we could pretty much have it to ourselves Saturday night.  If we need 20+ to 25 or more, then we should choose Comfort Inn on southside.

Personally, although I like the location of the Capra better, if I had to call it today, I'd go with the Comfort Inn.

Any thoughts?

Recent history is to expect about 50 people with many doubling up in rooms and some of them camping (when available). Marietta ESTN was lightly attended. Sparta, Marlinton, and Lake Placid were in the 50 range I think (despite bad weather).

Since this one seems to be generating reasonable interest given its proximity NYC, Boston, Philly, etc it would not surprise me to see 50-ish people show up if the weather doesn't suck. Minimum of 30 people (15 rooms) would be my guess.

It's a tough call because the Hancock option can't fit everyone into one motel if attendance is good, but it's a better spot to ride from. The larger motels are going to be closer to civilization.

Maybe a quick poll (one week) to see how many people really plan on attending?

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2013, 01:56:38 pm »

In Placid we filled one Motel, Econolodge I think.  We had every room except one and it wasn't a small place.  Plus some overflow across the street and a few other places.  Most of us had to ride through a downpour to get there.  That's commitment.

MarkF

maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2013, 04:01:08 pm »

I agree with the last two posts, they were fairly big. I would venture at LEAST 30

st2sam

Reputation 133

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 2014 Honda Valkyrie
GPS: N.E. PA. aboard a flying Hippo.
Miles Typed: 1671

My Photo Gallery

Certified sport-TOURING wacko.......

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2013, 06:02:42 pm »

Doug - Garry - Anybody?

I looked back and estimated maybe 20 rooms, because some of us doubled-up

Reason is, if attendance has historically required 15 - 20 rooms, then we could use the Capra motel on western side of Catskills and probably be OK.  Nice thing about the Capra, we could pretty much have it to ourselves Saturday night.  

Personally, although I like the location of the Capra better.
Any thoughts?

Lots of good roads in the North East corner of PA..
I also like the location of the Capri better.
IF I get a chance tomorrow I'll take a ride up that way and scope it out.  Thumbsup

Change is good, but only for a while..
Honda makes the best "sport-TOURING" motorcycle, until I buy something else.......
Skee

Reputation 67

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2013, 07:52:56 pm »

Lots of good roads in the North East corner of PA..
I also like the location of the Capri better.
IF I get a chance tomorrow I'll take a ride up that way and scope it out.  Thumbsup

I used Google Earth to scope out the parking lots and locations, & TripAdvisor for reviews.  Fairly accurate on the average.
I was thinking of looping up through there this weekend myself.  Good excuse for a ride, if I can free up a day.
A few things on the Honey-Do List I have to find an excuse to get out of.

I'll put a poll up.

shil

Reputation 17

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: 2013 Multistrada, 1979 XS650
GPS: Uxbridge, ON
Miles Typed: 906

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2013, 03:20:48 pm »

Skee, thanks for looking into this.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal