Poll
Question: What haircut shall be inflicted upon misanthropist?
The Hair Halo - 5 (17.9%)
The Bighorn - 10 (35.7%)
The Over-the-top - 5 (17.9%)
Mr. T - 8 (28.6%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Stupid Haircuts for the Cure  (Read 4187 times)

misanthropist

Reputation 41

Motorcycles: '07 Guzzi Griso; '95 gsxr 750, fightered
Miles Typed: 573

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: November 24, 2012, 08:39:37 pm »

For the last three weeks I have been growing a stupid moustache in order to raise awareness and money for prostate cancer.

Thatís been going fairly well, in the sense that I got a donation, which I didnít realize would happen.  My original plan was really just to support the raising of awareness etc, which struck me as important this year as my dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer and has been hospitalized and itís really giving been him a beating, which is pretty unpleasant.

Anyway, after I got a donation, I thought that by publicizing this and taking it a step further, I could potentially reach more people and consequently raise more money for the prostate cancer/movember guys.

So here is what I propose:

I shaved my head at the same time as my face - for reasons partly related to a halloween costume.  Once halloween was over, I shaved my head to eliminate the evidence of my costume.  But the upshot is that my hair is now a blank canvas on which to draw a stupid haircut to go with my moustache.

And since my hair has grown in at the exact same time and speed as the moustache, it seems appropriate to dedicate it to the same cause.

THEREFORE:

I will post up three pictures which my wife has photoshopped together to give you all an idea of how dumb I will look for the next week, after everyone votes on which option to go with.  I will track the total votes on all the pages this gets posted on, and tally them up and post them up here, there, and everywhere.

Iíll get her to shave my hair Sunday evening, and Iíll go to work all week with that stupid haircut.

The price?  I am going to put a link here to my movember page.  That is all.  If anyone is motivated to donate to prostate cancer research, this is one option for donating.  You could donate elsewhere.  Thereís no way for me to control it.  I simply thought that by making a mockery of myself for a week, I could reach people, and anyone inclined to donate to prostate cancer might notice it, and think about it more, and maybe donate.

Everyone is invited to share this post, or the link, as far and wide as possible.

Selfishly, I am hoping to be able to see my dad at Christmas and tell him Iíve raised a couple hundred bucks for prostate cancer.  But the main effect will hopefully be just to generate extra donations and traffic on the whole idea of Movember.

http://ca.movember.com/mospace/6308629

And now the pics:

Here is me now:

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/movemberhairattack/movember.jpg

And here are the proposed hair options:

The Hair Halo:

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/movemberhairattack/movember1.jpg

The Bighorn:

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/movemberhairattack/movember2.jpg

And the Over-The-Top:

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/movemberhairattack/movember3.jpg

ETA:

It's been suggested to me that a MR T option should also exist.  I didn't think of this because he has a beard.  But if enough people prefer the Mr T then I can do that.

Vote and enjoy...and donate if you like!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 08:42:40 pm by misanthropist » Logged

yeah, THE misanthropist...now featuring grey hair, a mortgage, and a wife

PMATG, NATT
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

miles

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13053

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 09:10:21 pm »

I too have been growing a mustache this month.  I'm going for the "David Crosby", myself.

Three points where two lines meet
misanthropist

Reputation 41

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 12:48:30 pm »

Interesting...I have this up on another forum, where "The Bighorn" is tied with "The Halo", and The Halo is climbing fast.  Here, no interest in the halo at all.

But some donations are starting to roll in, which is great.  I am going to shamelessly pump this all week in the hopes of exploiting more collective guilt.

PMATG, NATT
Advertisement

miles

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13053

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 01:14:45 pm »

I've ben thinking about this, Mis.  If the idea is to highlight the 'stache, perhaps you're approaching it from.

Maybe you ought to go for a classic like a Mark Twain and shave every other hair on your head, including, of course, the eyebrows.  That would make the mustache stand out of the crowd.

Three points where two lines meet
misanthropist

Reputation 41

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 02:49:48 pm »

That's hilarious...maybe that will be next year's plan.

Basically...Deaner (FUBAR).

PMATG, NATT
misanthropist

Reputation 41

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 10:03:35 pm »

Well, I'm warming up the clippers...probably get to work in the next hour or so.  The Bighorn is currently leading across all sites.

PMATG, NATT
misanthropist

Reputation 41

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 12:34:34 am »

The winner: Bighorn!

The result:

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/movemberhairattack/DSC_0899.jpg

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/movemberhairattack/DSC_0902.jpg

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/movemberhairattack/DSC_0906.jpg

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/movemberhairattack/DSC_0908.jpg

And...tada!

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/movemberhairattack/DSC_0915.jpg

PMATG, NATT
veefer800canuck
Nicky Hayden stole my childhood!

Reputation 167

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada, EH?
Miles Typed: 6790

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 01:07:26 am »

That's fawesome. Good work.  Thumbsup

DNA
At least it don't have VTEC

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '07 GSA , One empty stall in garage
GPS: Recalculating...
Miles Typed: 5271

My Photo Gallery

Old and full of Advil

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 01:41:37 am »

EEK!

Awesome.

I'd get fired if I showed up that way - and likely divorced as well.

Once again - living my life through Mis.

BHITAWTF!

I might as well learn to play tennis for all I'm riding...   IBA # 24,128 and still invinciblehttp://s71.photobucket.com/user/dnaseller/media/VisitedStatesMap_zpsac48168b.jpg.html
misanthropist

Reputation 41

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 01:49:58 am »

Yeah, I have NO idea how my employer is going to take this.  It's probably a good thing my day job is rapidly becoming secondary employment.

PMATG, NATT
highside

Reputation 11

GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 4293

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 11:02:20 am »

In Seattle, a haircut like that could get you a job at Google or the mayors office, all by itself.
Mr. Whippy

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 11:53:58 am »

I have followed MANY misanthropist threads over the years.  What has struck me are two things:

1.  The Written message is hilarious, distinctive and has a polish rarely seen from the masses. Not just grammatically correct written work, but highly entertaining.  
2.  The photography is well composed, artistic and technically quite excellent.

These features are fairly constant.  This leads me to believe that mis and Erin are more than just the casual forum contributors, but rather have a level of performance art/written art-visual art beyond what one sees randomly.

I expect a coffee table book featuring your "installations" sometime in the future. Bigsmile
DNA

Reputation 24

My Photo Gallery

Old and full of Advil

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 03:39:29 pm »

With the full shave job done - can we get a pic to see how the ax self-surgery scarred up?  

Should have left a nice little mark.

Might be worth a re-tell for all the noobs as well...

I might as well learn to play tennis for all I'm riding...   IBA # 24,128 and still invinciblehttp://s71.photobucket.com/user/dnaseller/media/VisitedStatesMap_zpsac48168b.jpg.html
misanthropist

Reputation 41

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 09:31:49 pm »

I have followed MANY misanthropist threads over the years.  What has struck me are two things:

1.  The Written message is hilarious, distinctive and has a polish rarely seen from the masses. Not just grammatically correct written work, but highly entertaining.  
2.  The photography is well composed, artistic and technically quite excellent.

These features are fairly constant.  This leads me to believe that mis and Erin are more than just the casual forum contributors, but rather have a level of performance art/written art-visual art beyond what one sees randomly.

I expect a coffee table book featuring your "installations" sometime in the future. Bigsmile

That is a hilarious take on my posts...a sort of manufactured experience for the forum participant; misanthropist as art.

I will say this much: Erin's father is a photography instructor at one of this country's more prestigious universities and my older sister is a professor of literature at a university here in Vancouver.  It's probably not unreasonable to say that between the two of us we can generate decent material.

And, in fact, although I always refer to myself as a construction worker in my posts, and in a sense that is true, and has certainly been how I paid for my schooling and so on, in reality I am the founder of, and still own the majority stake in, a company which handles branding and strategic direction for the defense industry.  Further to that, my primary work task, other than conceptualizing the way in which companies should perceive themselves, is writing.  I write about what they do, and what they should do, and why they should do it.  So I spend hours and hours writing and thinking about writing, and thinking about imagery.

So to be perfectly honest there's a pretty good reason my posts come off a little differently than most.  I don't generally own up to this but the fact is I probably should be held to a higher standard of writing and pictures.

But enough about me: oh, wait, one more thing about me.  I can take a picture of the self-surgery scarring but to be entirely honest it's not nearly as impressive as you might expect.  Brace yourselves for the math: that was something close to ten years ago.  The scarring was never that severe (good surgeon) and it faded a lot.  It's just a bit of a lump, maybe a half or a third the size of the old lump of scar tissue and bone, and a small bald spot maybe an eighth of an inch across or a little more.  So while it could be photographed, it really just looks like I got whapped on the crown of my head fairly recently and there's a small goose egg there.  Kind of disappointing; five years ago it was still much more noticeable.

Okay, enough about me: the donation fund is growing and I hit $250 today!  Feeling good about things and will definitely keep pounding away on it for the remainder of the month.  Wish me luck!

PMATG, NATT
birdrunner

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, XR650L
GPS: Edmonton
Miles Typed: 4862

My Photo Gallery

I am firm in my indecision.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 08:51:59 am »

Take pledges on hitting yourself with the axe again and I'm sure we can get you more.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 07:12:07 pm by birdrunner » Logged

I could eat a bowl of Alpha Bits and shit a better argument than that.
misanthropist

Reputation 41

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 10:14:30 am »

No guarantees on that but the donation fund is up to $325 as of this morning!

PMATG, NATT
stevent
Aging Cafe` Racer

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '10 K1300GT
GPS: near Tacoma, Wa.
Miles Typed: 1701

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 10:44:26 am »

Hmm... if you're not willing to take a whack on the ol' melon for the cause I have to question your commitment there mon ami....

Shrug

Carpe` Throttleum - Loud Suits Save Lives -

"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"
misanthropist

Reputation 41

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 06:34:15 pm »

I'm not willing to CONTINUE taking weapon strikes to my head for the cause.  That's different.

PMATG, NATT
misanthropist

Reputation 41

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 08:31:42 pm »

Well, I'm pumping it for one more 24 hour slog so here's the link again:

http://ca.movember.com/mospace/6308629

I think I have a good chance of cracking the $500 mark which would be really great...my original goal was $250 so I'm feeling very good about the funds raised.  

Amazingly the largest donations have almost exclusively come from people that I don't know at all...very amazing if you think about it.

PMATG, NATT
DNA

Reputation 24

My Photo Gallery

Old and full of Advil

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 08:59:36 pm »

How did the boss like it?

Any work repercussions? Headscratch

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal