Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Thinking of buying a new 2012 Kawasaki Concourse  (Read 10684 times)

motociclista
www.theridesofar.com

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 1997 Triumph Speed Triple, 2006 Triumph Daytona 675, 2009 Kawasaki Versys
GPS: Ohio USA
Miles Typed: 245

My Photo Gallery

Team Coqui, 2013 STN: EOE Cup MotoGP Champion

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2012, 10:38:27 pm »

I think you won't regret your impulse buy. The C14 is a great bike.

Just take some time to get used to it, because it's a big change from your current ride. Some extra practice on low-speed maneuvers will help you bond with it and make you feel better about your urban riding. For the 2-up touring, well the C14 is a duck in water there, so no worries.

Enjoy.

"Let's cut to the chase: this is one of the best motorcycle books I have ever read." --Willie McLandsborough, STAReview.

Read a sample chapter of my book at www.theridesofar.com or visit the blog at www.theridesofar.com/blog.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

timanderson

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14
GPS: New London, CT
Miles Typed: 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 06:41:20 pm »

Mbishara,

It may have been your final decision that was impulsive, but it sounds like you did plenty of looking and research before you reached that point.  You will love the C14, it is a great bike.  Take a little time to get used to it, and practice slow speed maneuvers before you take a passenger on board.  It is heavy, and it feels that way at very low speeds, but the weight disappears once you get above 10-15 MPH, as it does on many big bikes.  I've had a C14 for 2 years and love it, it does everything well, fast sporty riding, easy cruising riding, whatever...  

But practice the slow speed handling so you are confident with it.  My trick for parking lot maneuvers is to drag the rear brake lightly and keep the throttle on slightly, so you don't have to get all jerky with the throttle on-off.  If you modulate the pressure on the rear brake so it balances the pull from the slight throttle, you can do smooth U-turns, or other slow speed stuff.  

And consider joining the Concours Owners Group (COG) - they have a huge membership and a very active Forum with EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about maintaining and enhancing your Concours.

Enjoy!

Tim

mbishara

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2012 Concourse 14 Black
Miles Typed: 83

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 06:18:37 am »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the feedback. I already join the COG group. Lots of very helpful information. And a lot of C14 riders in my area.

You're right. It was an impulse buy but not an impulse decision. I wanted the bike as my first ride two years ago but too many people told me to go much smaller until I'm ready.

Although two years is not a long time and not enough to say that I've got the experience I think that my age (44 yes old) helps me a lot. I see too many 22 year olds just twisting the throttle and doing too many dumb ass moves. I din't ride with them anymore. And we can spot them quickly. They're the ones only wearing the helmet and gloves with their girlfriends in the backseat only wearing a tank top, shorts and sneakers.

I won't encourage my son to have a bike before he's got at least five years of car experience. There's bike experience and there's general road rules that we should also abide by for our own safety and for the safety of the people around us.

So SS bikes were definitely out of. My picture. Although this is as close as it gets. Cruisers are not my style. I tried the smaller tourer like the GSX and the ride wasn't comfortable enough for a real tour doubled up. And finally bigger engine doesn't mean faster than light speeds. As long as the throttle control and clutch manoeuvres are there then bigger means smoother and more comfortable as well. 

I was accustomed to throttling and clutching for my slow speed manoeuvred but I'm going to give the back breaks technique a try. Thanks for the tip.

It's going to be a great summer. Now I need to convince my wife to trust me for a small weekend hop from Mtl to NYC. If we do that well then she'll come around to some of the longer rides Wink.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Advertisement

NuckaMan

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2008 BMW GSA, 2012 Kawi Concours 14
GPS: Orange County, California
Miles Typed: 71

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 04:49:31 pm »

Congrats on your recent purchase.

Got one myself last August, pretty much on a impluse buy, due to a fantastic deal I was offered. It did take about 2000 miles or ownership to make sure I didn't make a mistake. I didn't take to it very well initially.

Even with the introduction of the 2013 FJR and Triumph Trophy, I would have probably stuck with the Concours. Simply because the value for the money. As long as your not paying MSRP, you do get a lot for your money with the Concours.

My only personal gripes are, gas tank or fuel economy could be better (for touring bikes, getting a comfortable 200miles /per tank should be the standard, Concours is short about 20 miles….with being very conservative), I prefer a standard key over the KiPass system, Kawi fit and finish wasn’t very good….at least on mine, stock tires suck and so does the seat.

Other than that, the power is fantastic, smooth moving bike, handles very well at speed and stable in the turns, pretty comfy egos, heated grips works fantastic, bags are easy to open/close and remove, oil changes are super easy, ABS and traction control are nice features to have, wind shield works well, and overall just a very nice motorcycle to ride and own.

Took a bit, but now I’m completely satisfied. It’s my daily driver, got used to the width and split cars/lanes comfortably.
Ashburn Rider

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Kawasaki concours 2012
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 10:40:14 pm »

I went on several long test rides to include the FJR, BMW 1600 GT and the Kawasaki Concours.  I bought the Concours and I'm glad I did! It's been a blast to ride.  I ruled out the BMW just due to price ($27K out the door).  

Once I ruled out the BMW there  was one main reason I picked the Concours over the FJR - Comfort.  The Connie has a significant advantage on the comfort dimension as compared to the FJR.  Specifically the Connie has:  
 - Significantly better heat dissipation (no hot legs, no hot seat)
 - Next to zero vibration transferring from the grips to the hands ( no numb hands)
 - Comfortable stock seat - (the FJR has a brick for a seat...a hot brick)

Minor edge goes to the Connie in terms of power and overall engine performance as well but that had nothing to do with my choice as they are both plenty fast and responsive for my needs.

I give the FJR the nod when it comes to looks and I like the 5 gears better than the 6 the Connie has but this is subjective where as the heat dissipation and the vibration advantages of the Connie are not subjective observations, they are absolutely undeniable. The 2013 FJR also has cruise control.  For some buyers this may be important but I stay on the hilly, twisty, country roads where cruise control buys you nothing.   For those riders that do a lot of miles on the major highways, cruise control might be a big plus.  

Last but not least, I found the Connie price was more negotiable than the FJR price.  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal