Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: RSV vs. Tuono: Aprilia on Aprilia violence...HELP!!!!!  (Read 13907 times)

keystonejenks

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: 2008 Aprilia Tuono
GPS: Chambersburg, PA
Miles Typed: 3075

My Photo Gallery

C'MON SON!!!

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2013, 07:56:21 pm »

Hey everybody, remember me??? Most of you, probably not. Anyway, I've been out of the picture for a few years and it's time to jump back into it.

For YEARS when I was riding on my various Triumphs I've always lusted for the RSV. However, I had it set in my mind that my next bike would be either a Speed Triple or Tuono (I was leaning very heavy towards the Tuono). So, I've been doing the whole bike search thing. I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to this, I search endlessly.  Crazy

I found a couple Tuonos that grabbed my attention. Price and mileage seemed about what I was looking for. I even have a deal worked out for one, if I want it. Then just for kicks I searched for RSVs. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh boy. This bike seems to be very very undervalued. I could not believe some of the prices for them.  One dealership in Georgia still has a brand new 2008 RSV Factory for $10,000.  Inlove

So now I'm torn - RSV or Tuono? Or should I just scrap the whole idea and just go back to Triumph? Talk me off the ledge here please!
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

miles

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13074

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 08:39:30 pm »

Buy one of each.  Problem solved.

Three points where two lines meet
keystonejenks

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

C'MON SON!!!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 08:46:40 pm »

Buy one of each.  Problem solved.

hahahah, Not sure the wife would go for that one.  Bigok
Advertisement

Stripes
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: Triumph, Ducati, BMW
GPS: On the water
Miles Typed: 4519

My Photo Gallery

I'm on a boat!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 08:47:23 pm »

Triumph Speed Triple!  Thumbsup

"We all should aspire once in life to date a psychotic nymphomaniac, no matter what the aftermath."
Croak

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: 03 Aprilia Tuono, '13 Kymco Agility City 200i
GPS: Is-Swieqi/San Ġiljan, Malta
Miles Typed: 1527

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 09:14:06 pm »

You can always turn an RSV into a faux-Tuono, harder doing it the other way around.

As for talking you off the ledge, as much as I live my triple, I love that Rotax V990 more.  And that RSV Factory you're eyeing is still one hell of a corner carving tool with some really choice bits (Ohlins, forged wheels, dripping in CF), and while it's not powerful  by 2013 standards, it has plenty of usable, wheely-inducing real-world power on tap courtesy of that nearly bullet-proof Rotax.  Might need some comfort farkles though.

http://londonbikers.com/articles/1495/the-last-of-the-aprilia-rsv-1000-r-factory
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 12:01:37 am »

Hey JJ! (?correct?)

I would be sorely tempted by the RSV Factory for $10K if I wanted a race rep type bike. Sweet. I remember looking at (and drooling over) a 2007 or 2008 leftover at one point. I still think I should own a proper liter sport bike at some point.

But truth be told, I would probably go for the naked hooligan bike for more comfort (although the seat-to-peg is RSV tight). I think there might be some new/leftover 2008 KTM Super Dukes lurking out there yet too for good prices as an alternative to the Tuono or Speed Triple.

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 12:12:42 am »

I own a 2000 RSVP Mille, and if I'm being honest with myself, it's way more bike than I'm capable as a rider.

I find my Guzzi to be more enjoyable because I can ride to its limits. It's more of a "real world" bike  Smile

keystonejenks

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

C'MON SON!!!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 08:51:28 am »

Hey JJ! (?correct?)

I would be sorely tempted by the RSV Factory for $10K if I wanted a race rep type bike. Sweet. I remember looking at (and drooling over) a 2007 or 2008 leftover at one point. I still think I should own a proper liter sport bike at some point.

But truth be told, I would probably go for the naked hooligan bike for more comfort (although the seat-to-peg is RSV tight). I think there might be some new/leftover 2008 KTM Super Dukes lurking out there yet too for good prices as an alternative to the Tuono or Speed Triple.

You got the name correct! Points for Garry. Man, you're trying to add to my agony by looking for Super Dukes now aren't you!? You're a sick sick man!  Razz

Off to the interweb!
fxrbill

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2006 ST1300A, 2002 SL1000 Falco
GPS: Boise Id
Miles Typed: 415

My Photo Gallery

AKA Gem STate ST

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 10:57:48 am »

I am almost 60 so my vote says Tuono.This one http://www.apriliausa.com/ Loved the torque on my old Falco.

One less Harley
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 09:33:50 am »

I am almost 60 so my vote says Tuono.This one http://www.apriliausa.com/ Loved the torque on my old Falco.

If your job situation changes and you want your Falco back, I'd be happy to sell it right back to you  Thumbsup  
zenwhipper
FJR Freak

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2008 FJR
GPS: Seattle, WA
Miles Typed: 63

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 10:41:55 am »

I am partial to Triumphs myself. The Speed Triple has always been uber sexy  Inlove. Aprilla has always had slightly strange looking bikes to me. Can't put my thumb on it. But that's just me.  Cool

Anyway... saw this just the other day. Cheers!

Aprilia USA Makes You Re-Think Your Next Sport Bike Purchase – Gets Serious with 2013 Pricing Too

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/aprilia-2013-pricing-usa/

MAN HAS NOT EVOLVED ONE IOTA FROM THE SLIME THAT SPAWNED HIM! EEK!
SalsaShark

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '12 Aprilia Tuono v4r
GPS: SC (for now)
Miles Typed: 356

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 12:18:22 pm »

Having previously owned a Speed Triple, and now, a Tuono (although an RSV4R), both are great bikes...

Both bikes have some great tech, perform well, and inspire unruly amounts of law breaking hooliganism.

Best advice... ride both, get the one that gives you the biggest grin.
fxrbill

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2006 ST1300A, 2002 SL1000 Falco
GPS: Boise Id
Miles Typed: 415

My Photo Gallery

AKA Gem STate ST

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 07:56:30 pm »

If your job situation changes and you want your Falco back, I'd be happy to sell it right back to you  Thumbsup  

Still no job Jeff.Been a long 11 months.I saw that you upgraded again.

One less Harley
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 08:10:37 am »

Ape on Ape violence?   EEK!  Hey, JJ - nice to hear you are getting back into riding.  I met you back when you were a Triumph guy.  Wink  

I don't think you can go wrong between these choices.  I haven't gotten to try one of Aprilia's bigger twins or V4's, but from following thatguy and riding with other Apes, I know they're real goers and they sound heavenly to boot.  If you are envisioning anything like commuting or touring with it, I'd favor the Tuono.  As you are a tall guy, I'd think the RSV would have more demanding ergos.

Too bad Capitol Area Triumph has closed its doors now.  I hear there's a new Triumph dealer up around Camp Hill.  Personally I would favor the Triumph (big surprise) for the single-sided swingarm, that triple howl, and slightly better fuel economy - but who looks at mpg for these types of bikes?
keystonejenks

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

C'MON SON!!!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 08:48:19 am »

Ape on Ape violence?   EEK!  Hey, JJ - nice to hear you are getting back into riding.  I met you back when you were a Triumph guy.  Wink  

I don't think you can go wrong between these choices.  I haven't gotten to try one of Aprilia's bigger twins or V4's, but from following thatguy and riding with other Apes, I know they're real goers and they sound heavenly to boot.  If you are envisioning anything like commuting or touring with it, I'd favor the Tuono.  As you are a tall guy, I'd think the RSV would have more demanding ergos.

Too bad Capitol Area Triumph has closed its doors now.  I hear there's a new Triumph dealer up around Camp Hill.  Personally I would favor the Triumph (big surprise) for the single-sided swingarm, that triple howl, and slightly better fuel economy - but who looks at mpg for these types of bikes?

Yeah, thatguy (Mike) and I rode together often. I would always drool over his Tuono and he'd tell me to shut up because my Daytona was a good looking bike too.  Lol

One of the reasons I loved Triumph is they seem to be made for taller riders.  Even though I found some awesome deals on RSVs (even found an '04 in Pittsburgh w/ only 3600 miles on it for $4800  EEK! ), I think I'm going to have to go with a Tuono or Speed Triple.

Yamaha of Camp Hill now carries Triumphs. I haven't been by there yet but they get fairly positive reviews. I really miss that guys at CAT. Even when I didn't have a bike I'd go in and shoot the breeze with them.

Dealer support is a big thing with me. I thought the closest Aprilia dealer was a 2 hours away but was informed that Velocity Cycles in Mechanicsburg still sells Aprilias.  I thought they stopped dealing with Aprilia but apparently they still do. Not sure I'd want them to have my bike overnight because they leave them outside with no cover.  Crazy

I have a deal worked out on a '07 Tuono and might have one worked out on a '07 S3.  Both have about the same amount of mileage but I might be able to get the S3 for $1000 cheaper. Hate that it might come down to price but I have my wife looking over my shoulder on this one.  Lol
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 09:16:01 am »

I miss the guys at CAT, too, but I've shifted to Hermy's which is also a great shop.  They had a preowned nuclear pink S3 that you just missed.   Wink 

Yes, I've heard Velocity is still selling Aprilias.  The Aprilia guys I've met near here seem to prefer Eurosports in Coopersburg - that's quite a bit further from you, but maybe worth a glance at their inventory.  Good luck shopping - $1000 difference is nothing to sneeze at.  
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 08:49:55 pm »

Still no job Jeff.Been a long 11 months.I saw that you upgraded again.

Sorry to hear that Bill.  I hope some prospects turn up soon.
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 09:16:46 pm »

Aprilia vs Triumph.....hmmmm.....tough choice.   Headscratch

NOT!   Lol

If the choice is between an Italian Vtwin and a British triple, the Italian always wins out.  I don't know about being reliable though.  With Aprilia/Rotax marriage, it's a toss up.  Known a few late model Aprilia owners who have had internal engine issues  But I've never owned one so what do I know?  I do have a Rotax Vtwin on my Buell.  Their really good but I think the Aprilia set up is a mix of chain/gear driven driven DOHC and shim under buckets.  So you get this luscious V-twin sound with gear whine.  It sounds like the Honda RC51 Vtwin motor, which is one of the most beautiful sounding Vtwins around.  Having said that the Aprilias are heavy and still are heavy especially the current V4's.  Also, compared to today's sportbikes, the Tuonos/RSV's are top heavy.  Still, you would to ride other bikes back to back to know the difference so you will thoroughly enjoy whatever Aprilia you get.  Like any other "semi-exotic" bike, it's probably best to be mechanically inclined.  These bikes rarely got worked on right and there are few mechanics knowledgeable and experienced enough to know what the heck they're doing.  Good luck finding an Aprilia dealer too.  Having said all that, I would buy an Aprilia RSV Factory without hesitation.

Rogue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal