Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Ninja 300 or 650?  (Read 15737 times)

dbk23

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Do not have one yet
GPS: Edmonton, Alberta
Miles Typed: 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: February 17, 2013, 03:28:37 pm »

Hi All
I had posted a while back about a good first sports tourer and I wanted to thank everyone for their valuable input. I wanted to run another scenario by everyone as things have changed dramatically for me in the past few weeks. So as a reminder I am a brand new rider with no previous experience riding bikes. I am 50 years old, weigh 220 lbs and stand 5t10". I of course being a new rider having looked at the Ninja 250/300 and Honda CBR250. When I was at the Kawasaki dealer this weekend, he mentioned I should consider the 650r as well. The reason is that I will be using the bike to commute to work and that involves a good stretch of highway speeds at 100kph. The sales person said the 650r would be more stable on the highway and not get blown around like a 250/300 would. Also I want to do weekend over night trips with buddies from work. This would involve all highway speeds with mountain sections of riding. Again I am not sure of how the smaller 250/300 would handle the mountains?

Here is the kicker, I know reading alot of the questions on the forums about a great beginner bike that a lot of riders say to start on the smaller 250/300 and then trade up in a year or so to a bigger bike. For me unfortunately my wife had cancer and due to the disease we found out she will not be able to return to work ever. So our financial situation has been changed dramatically. Luckily being a Paramedic I make a decent wage to support us. However what ever bike I get will probably have to do me for 5 plus years, as I will not have the luxury financially of starting on a small bike and then trading up to something bigger after a year or so. What ever I get will have to last me quite  a while and do what I want of the bike which is commuting and sports touring. So thoughts, should I still go the 250/300 route or consider the 650r? Thanks again as usual for your fantastic advice.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 03:49:39 pm »

I've been reading about these recently, and it sounds like the Ninja 300 should do plenty fine at 100 km/hr.  The 250 is wheezing at about 120 km/hr, but the 300 is doing just fine.  I think the 650 would be fine for a beginner...the only reason I would go with it though is if you could find a used one for less than a new 300 (and I believe you can).
mugwump58

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3943

My Photo Gallery

The sign is gone :-(

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 05:22:36 pm »

Many bikes of the 250 genre retain value very well. Good point on the price of a used 650 vs a new 300. Bet a used EX 500 would be cheaper still.

May you only ever meet people with headlights just like yours.
Advertisement

motociclista
www.theridesofar.com

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 1997 Triumph Speed Triple, 2006 Triumph Daytona 675, 2009 Kawasaki Versys
GPS: Ohio USA
Miles Typed: 245

My Photo Gallery

Team Coqui, 2013 STN: EOE Cup MotoGP Champion

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 06:21:11 pm »

The plan of buying a 250 and then trading up to something like the Ninja 650 after a year is usually based on the idea that the 250 starter bike would be used, not new. In that scenario, you wouldn't take much if any of a hit on depreciation. But if you buy a new Ninja 300, you will.

I think the Ninja 650 is a fine choice for a first bike for someone who is your size and is responsible, and I'm guessing that if you are a paramedic you probably have the right attitude. So go for the Ninja 650 if you like it (I have the similar Versys and you can read about my take on the bike here: http://www.theridesofar.com/2012/05/two-years-on-a-kawasaki-versys/).

Don't be surprised, however, if the idea of buying your first bike that will last you forever doesn't pan out. Someone who has never ridden may think he knows what kind of riding he's going to enjoy, but reality is often different. That's normal. And it's another reason why buying used and cheap as a first bike and then trading up after a year to what you really want is a good plan. Done that way, it's no more expensive than buying a new bike now ... a new bike that you may be stuck with, in your situation, and may not turn out to be what you want after you have a year's experience and find out what kind of riding you want to do.

"Let's cut to the chase: this is one of the best motorcycle books I have ever read." --Willie McLandsborough, STAReview.

Read a sample chapter of my book at www.theridesofar.com or visit the blog at www.theridesofar.com/blog.
nonposter

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Ninja 250x2, Vstrom 650
GPS: DFW
Miles Typed: 32

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 06:27:35 pm »

I commuted on a 2005 250 for 6 years. It had no issue dragging my fat self at better than 80mph (128kph), and would go faster if needed. The only reason I stopped commuting on it was because I got a new bike (V-Strom 650).

You did get blown around a little bit, and it would not be something I would prefer to take on a 1000 mile ride, but it would certainly do it without issue. I did not feel any less safe on a 250 than any other bike I have ridden.

On top of that, you could get a used 250 for way less than anything else and most likely sell it for more than you paid after a year of riding. Worst case, you could ride the 250 for a couple months and then sell it.

The only drawback: I was planning on starting on a 250 and moving up later, and I still have my 250. It's too much fun to ride to sell.

- nonposter

- nonposter
nater

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 11 Suzuki GSXR 750
GPS: Sioux Falls, SD
Miles Typed: 761

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 11:15:03 pm »

Since money is an issue, why don't you get a used bike in the 500cc range.  Look for something in the $2500 range.  You can sell that in a couple of years for $1500 - $2000 when you will have a better idea of what you really want.  I've never heard of the first bike being the last one.  Everyone that is bitten by the bug always finds a way to move up to better and more awsome.

Sold:  06 Suzuki GSXR 750, 07 Suzuki SV 650S, 04 KTM 200EXC, 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 04 Honda CRF100, 94 Suzuki GS500E, 01 Kawasaki KLX 300R
Skee

Reputation 67

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '08 Wee, 2013 Connie
GPS: SE PA
Miles Typed: 1968

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 11:58:09 pm »

No matter how well you think it through, many people discover the bike they really want is not the first one they thought they wanted.  That's why it's best to start with a lower cost used bike.  You could very well start with a Ninja, and after a while discover that you'd be happeir with a dual-sport or standard daily commuter or fully faired or naked bike.  You really need to ride for awhile to sort that out.

I'd rather be riding anywhere with you than sitting at this d@mn keyboard.
Rammer

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '09 ZX-14, '08 Wr250x
GPS: north western, WI
Miles Typed: 172

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 12:43:15 pm »

dbk23,  I realize you're in Canada and prices are different up there, but I wanted to point out what they're like around here.  A brand new 2013 Ninja 300 sells locally for $4799.00 plus assorted fees etc. A 2011, new, left over, still on the show room floor, 650r sells for the same $4799.. For my money, I'd be looking for a use 650r. Yes the 250's and 300's seem to keep their resale value, but do you want to deal with selling and re-buying again once you realize the small one is not what you want/need? I wish you the best of luck!

Erik. Smile
Kootenanny
"Not That Good"

Reputation 33

Years Contributed: '09
Miles Typed: 4630

My Photo Gallery

Buellshit!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 01:40:43 pm »

Friend of mine started last year on a CBR250R.  I've been on some rides with the guy, and lemme tell ya, his 250R is not the slouch some might have you believe.  The only time he might have an issue is passing at speed...no, the bike doesn't have the acceleration of a bigger bike...but it moves right along, higher speeds are not a problem.  As a commuter, the 250R makes a lot of sense.

That said, I think a reasonable and competent beginner should be fine on a 650R--but I don't think you'll learn how to handle a bike as quickly as you might on the smaller one.

E=MC2
Skee

Reputation 67

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '08 Wee, 2013 Connie
GPS: SE PA
Miles Typed: 1968

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 07:23:02 pm »

+1 Others may disagree, but  think in a tight corner - on neutral throttle - it takes more skill (but far less effort) to handle a smaller bike.  A heavier bike will stay planted, assuming you set up correctly.  A lighter bike is far more sensitive to tiny steering inputs, weight shifts, and easier to correct.  And a whole lot more forgiving of throttle errors.  Of course, the less powerful bike is nowhere near as much fun on the corner exits.   And forget about passing in a short stretch on a hill.  There's pros and cons on both sides.

I'd rather be riding anywhere with you than sitting at this d@mn keyboard.
mugwump58

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3943

My Photo Gallery

The sign is gone :-(

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 06:48:06 pm »

An interesting 300 test ride. lj is cool.

http://youtu.be/mNHfGfW3deg

May you only ever meet people with headlights just like yours.
camaroz1985

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2008 Yamaha WR250R
GPS: Bressler, PA
Miles Typed: 286

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 09:24:00 am »

I'm looking at the 300 again.

I started on a 250 (2 years), then a 650 (Versys, 2 years), now a Ural (1 year), and looking at getting either a 250 or 300 again.  They are just a lot of fun.  You can easily do some light touring on them, and have no problem with highway speeds (and above), but I always find myself searching back roads no matter what motorcycle I am on, and that is where the 250 (and I will assume the 300) really shine.

Current Ride - 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Past Rides - 2006 Ural Raven, 2009 Kawasaki Versys, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
wibornz
Phototagging???? Huh never heard of it. Sounds like it could be fun.

Reputation 20

Motorcycles: Concours 14, Ninja 650r and about 14 dirt bikes 10 or so atvs and six or seven other streebikes over the years.
GPS: Michigan
Miles Typed: 3196

My Photo Gallery

I do wheelies, get over it.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 12:15:06 am »

Buy the 650r.  A used one can be had on the cheap.  I bought one for my son that was two years old with about 8,000 miles on it for 2100 dollars.  The 650 will be a lot better bike in the long run and you can grow into it.  There is a reason why people buy the little bikes and then sell them in a year.... yawn.... It does not take long for the thrill to wear off.  I find a fast scooter more fun to ride than the 250/300 bikes.  It would be one thing if you were a young kid and this was your first bike, but I would think with your age and job, you would not be effected by the poor decision making skills that a young rider would have to over come.  I say buy once and buy right.

TED
I have been married longer than I have not been married.  I have worked on my job longer than I have not worked at my job. 
Motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATVs, jeeps, and a wife....Where the hell is my money going again?  Life has been good to me
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 10:59:57 am »

They are just a lot of fun.  You can easily do some light touring on them, and have no problem with highway speeds (and above), but I always find myself searching back roads no matter what motorcycle I am on, and that is where the 250 (and I will assume the 300) really shine.

Exactly this!   Inlove Inlove

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
camaroz1985

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2008 Yamaha WR250R
GPS: Bressler, PA
Miles Typed: 286

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 09:30:41 am »

Another thing to consider is insurance.  I know for me (27, married, no accidents ever or violations within the last 5 years) the insurance for the 650 is 3x what it is for a 250 or 300.

Current Ride - 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Past Rides - 2006 Ural Raven, 2009 Kawasaki Versys, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), St Triple 765 R (low), Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 11:26:06 am »

Have you considered a Honda CBR500?
Depending how 'far back' you want to go to/for back roads, you could get the R, F or X.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal