Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Loops and Rides around Weaverville  (Read 10142 times)

Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 08:43:31 pm »

Ya might have company Squeezer   Rolleyes

Done that ride before  Thumbsup Thumbsup

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Explorer
Back roads master

Reputation 36

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 92 Klr 650, 02 Fz1, 89 TransAlp
GPS: CA, bay area
Miles Typed: 1704

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 10:21:29 pm »

This is my planed route from the Bay area, to Weavervill. Once past the GGB it will be all two lane and fire roads all the way their. I'm leaving San Jose at 4AM, to avoid all the commute traffic in the city. All are wellcome to ride up in parts or the whole way.

View Larger Map

Life's journey is not To arrive At the grave safely In a well preserved body But rather to skid In sideways Totally worn out Shouting Holy shit what a ride.
squeezer
Squirrelly Geezer

Reputation 83

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 16 Tiger XR(x)
GPS: The OC
Miles Typed: 5553

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2013, 12:10:52 am »

Ya might have company Squeezer   Rolleyes

Done that ride before  Thumbsup Thumbsup

Bigok

Dang. I missed Ed's birthday again.
IBA, AMA, AARP
Advertisement

MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 2627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2013, 01:19:52 am »

HWY 3 north of Weaverville is very nice. A good all day ride is 3 up to Yreka, slab maybe 10 miles up to 96 and follow the Klamath back down to Willow Creek and 299 and back to Weavervillle. Fuel is good in Yreka and Willow Creek but of dubious quality at various spots in between if you need premium.

If you want an extended seat-time day ride take 299 out to the coast, have something to eat in Eureka or Fortuna, then 36 back to Red Bluff, 30 miles of I-5 to Redding, then 299 back to Weaverville and dinner.

Notice that these are pretty much the main highways of the area. They're well maintained and regularly traveled, though not heavily. If you want to get off the beaten path and don't mind some bumps, Deliverance locales and unique discoveries (somebody up there has Alfa Spiders littering their front yard but you'll have to find it) break out a detailed map and have at it...

I dunno.  Jeff N once told me that 36/3/299 stuff gets old.   Bigsmile

Last weekend I came down from the north like a fat motorcycle-shaped steely from the world's largest slingshot.  Rode Highway 3 to Weaverville, stayed overnight and then the next day rode from Weaverville to Willow Creek on 299, hence north on 96 to Interstate 5.

It was only 2pm when I sat down to a sublime macchiato at Case Coffee in Ashland, Oregon.  I was still feeling pretty frisky so what the heck, I rode back to Seattle and arrived promptly at 10:20pm.

What did I learn?

On the way to Weaverville, I rode over County 17 from Weed to Highway 3.  Not knowing that the road was closed.  At the very top, it's about 7,500 feet or so and there's a big snowdrift that almost covers the road.  In a car, you're screwed.   But beside the giant snowdrift there is about an eighteen inch wide strip of bare shoulder on the south side, so I just rode around it.  Next to that eighteen inch wide strip of bare shoulder, there is about a 200 foot sheer drop.  Please don't tell my wife I just rode on through, OK?    Crazy

Highway 299 from Weaverville to Willow Creek was much better than expected.  Good pavement, big sweepers, Tuono!!  Saturday morning at 10am there wasn't much traffic, and in any case there are plenty of places to pass.   I didn't remember it like that.   And I didn't see one LEO, much to my surprise.

Highway 96 from Willow Creek to Happy Camp (Ever notice that the people in Happy Camp don't look all that happy?  Fact.) needs some love.  Bumpy, bumpy, bumpy and some ratchet pavement.

WEAVERVILLE TIP:  Order the taco platter at La Grange Cafe.  It's only ten bucks!  Ask for both the mango salsa and the pico de gallo.  Then raise a glass to your Good Tip Man, MisterSmooth.

WEAVERVILLE TIP NUMBER TWO:  Do yourself a favor and order the special breakfast bagel with ham and pesto at Mamma Llama's in the morning..

And I learned that in May in the Pacific Northwest, your best friend is not your dog at all.   It's your electric liner.  Wink
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 01:24:13 am by MisterSmooth » Logged

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
viffergyrl

Reputation 32

Motorcycles: 99 Honda VFR 800 2001 Ducati ST4
GPS: 1 hour northwest of LA-LA Land....
Miles Typed: 1301

My Photo Gallery

Road Witch

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2013, 07:23:55 pm »

Tasty, tasty, tasty.... Explorer - I am considering your route back to SoCal.  Thumbsup

We were denied Forest Road 1 at WCRM 2011 - the gang o' six (Andrew, endo, M.Brane, Rob707, Cvergi01, and myself) ran into a large amount of snow just after Titlow Hill Road becomes Forest Road 1. Definitely on our list.

I am getting geeked.

Don't argue with an idiot; people might not be able to tell the difference - Anonymous

1999 Honda VFR 800 (the Vixen) 2001 Ducati ST4 (Stanley)
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2013, 07:41:04 pm »

We had that same problem with Forest Service Road 1 at the WCRM II in 2005!

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 46

Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2013, 10:24:29 pm »

Tasty, tasty, tasty.... Explorer - I am considering your route back to SoCal.  Thumbsup

We were denied Forest Road 1 at WCRM 2011 - the gang o' six (Andrew, endo, M.Brane, Rob707, Cvergi01, and myself) ran into a large amount of snow just after Titlow Hill Road becomes Forest Road 1. Definitely on our list.

I am getting geeked.

Yep was a wet and cold WCRM that year, I think this year might be a bit warmer

Will let you know how Explorer's rout was when we get there

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
melville

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: BMW R75/6, Yamaha 850 Extra Special
GPS: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Miles Typed: 172

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 08:54:12 am »

As it's likely to be hot as heck, you guys may want to see the coast for some relief.  I rode this yesterday--take 299 over Oregon Mountain to Willow Creek (clickable map link):

There's some dirt, but not nearly as much as there used to be--just 8 miles of it now on top of Bald Hills, mostly looking like this:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk18/melvillelgz868/BaldHills_zps2703e8e8.jpg

Smooth and relatively speedy on my gooshy gooshy Airhead.  YMMV.

Here's the weather effect--looking West from the Redwood Creek Overlook:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk18/melvillelgz868/RedwoodCreekOverlook2_zps6ab0d998.jpg

That's the 58F and foggy that keeps me comfortable and pale out on the coast.  You'll feel a sweet cool change in the weather over the last ten miles.  If your ride is German and air-cooled, it will be happier as well.

Watch out for nasty pavement going down the hill after the Lady Bird Johnson Grove (after a pedestrian bridge over the road) and for RVs lumbering up that hill.  They generally come in no further than LBJG.

When you get to Orick, stop in for pie here:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk18/melvillelgz868/PalmCafe_zpse7d8589b.jpg

Ask for Martha, and tell her that Mel sent you.

Google maps says nearly 4 hours, but it was closer to 3 for me including a gas and snack stop and a couple picture breaks.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 08:58:23 am by melville » Logged

Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal