Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: CA in Early April  (Read 3724 times)

KodiakRS
That guy

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: 2009 Ninja 650R
Miles Typed: 623

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2013, 04:59:49 pm »

I have a few weeks off at the start of April and some friends of mine are going to meet up on the 6th for some riding and general shenanigans in malibu.  I was thinking about heading out a few days early into Cali to play around by myself before heading into the L.A. area.  

-I know that some of the passes in California don't open until memorial day.  Is it even worth bothering to head to the Lake Tahoe or Yosemite area's in early April or are all the good roads going to be closed?

-How are the roads in southern cali at that time of year.  I know that the angels crest highway usually doesn't open fully until memorial day, are any of the other passes going to be a problem?

-Is there any "must see/ride" areas in Southern California (or northern) that you'd doing?
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

viffergyrl

Reputation 32

Motorcycles: 99 Honda VFR 800 2001 Ducati ST4
GPS: 1 hour northwest of LA-LA Land....
Miles Typed: 1301

My Photo Gallery

Road Witch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 07:26:48 pm »

There are other roads besides the passes but the further you go up in elevation the more likely the road is going to be closed. Cal Trans maintains a site for state highways that provides information on road closures:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

The roads in SoCal are most likely to be open but weather can change anything. Highway 33 was closed for a day two days ago with six inches of snow (yeah - believe it; this ain't Alaska); it's open now. I've ridden that road at least every month - yeah December and January. And the pass is 5000 feet. So ya just never know.  Shrug

There are a shit-ton of roads in Malibu and other roads other than the Angeles Crest.  I'll scrounge a few Google map links for you. Thumbsup

For $20 the best deal in town is this: http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

And also Butler Maps: http://www.butlermaps.com/Motorcycle-Road-Maps/ There is a northern and southern CA map set for under $30.

Where will you be located for your base of operations - that would help. Also if ya post up some dates, some of the loonies here might play tour guide for ya.

Don't argue with an idiot; people might not be able to tell the difference - Anonymous

1999 Honda VFR 800 (the Vixen) 2001 Ducati ST4 (Stanley)
KodiakRS
That guy

Reputation 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 07:52:03 pm »

[quote author=viffergyrl
Where will you be located for your base of operations - that would help. Also if ya post up some dates, some of the loonies here might play tour guide for ya.

[/quote]

I live in Phoenix and need to be in Calabassas (spelling?) the night of april 5th.  Planning on leaving on the 2nd or 3rd.
Advertisement

viffergyrl

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

Road Witch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:33:24 pm »

So as you leave Phoenix and head west you might try this (and if Angeles Crest is open) Click 'View Larger Map' at the bottom:

View Larger Map

Now do you want to head north and play in the southern Sierras? (Lake Isabella, Sherman Pass, old 395, Western Divide Highway) Somewhat risky in early April (especially Sherman Pass). Or head northwest-ish and play along SR 33, SR 58, SR 229 (aka Rossi's driveway)? More likely to be open.

Don't argue with an idiot; people might not be able to tell the difference - Anonymous

KodiakRS
That guy

Reputation 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 09:12:22 pm »

Was thinking of heading up to Santa Cruz via various inland roads, then back down on the PCH.  That pashnit site has been a godsend.  There are a lot of roads on there I would have never thought would be good riding roads.
viffergyrl

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

Road Witch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 10:19:16 pm »

Ok I got it now.  Lol

There's a lot to choose from that's for sure. And a wealth of information about what the roads are like. Good luck!

Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 09:35:13 pm »

If you make it up to Santa Cruz, do have a fun time on HY9

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
KodiakRS
That guy

Reputation 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 09:24:34 pm »

Day 1 is in the books.  Phoenix to Palmdale via I-10, pines to palms, 38 into bigbear, rim of the world to138/2/138 to Palmdale.  Headed to santa Cruz tomorrow. 

Ach was closed, but other than that no snow.

P2P was phenomenal, so was rim of the world out of bigbear.  About 10 miles north of crestline was the most technical set of twisties I've ever seen.  Descending, decreasing radius, off camber, blind corners with no signage.  Very puckery. 

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
NuckaMan

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2008 BMW GSA, 2012 Kawi Concours 14
GPS: Orange County, California
Miles Typed: 71

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 11:42:44 pm »

Your taking PCH up to Santa Cruz, right?

There are many bonus points you can collect up in that region. Right behind Santa Cruz, you got 9, 35, 17, Empire Grade, Big Basin, Page Mill....all in the general area. Take your pick, all of them are great. 9 (Skyline) and La Honda are the more notable ones.

I'm planning on going your way mid-May. Got a company meeting in Tempe, riding out with a co-worker for the show-and-tell and heading north and eventually back home Friday-Sunday.

Have fun out here on the west!!!!
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 12:08:50 am »

There are many bonus points you can collect up in that region. Right behind Santa Cruz, you got 9, 35, 17, Empire Grade, Big Basin, Page Mill....all in the general area. Take your pick, all of them are great. 9 (Skyline) and La Honda are the more notable ones.

Quoted for truth.  Inlove  I just rode Empire Grade in particular last week and the pavement is really good right now.  On a week day it was essentially empty of traffic, too.   Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
viffergyrl

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

Road Witch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 12:47:03 am »

Day 1 is in the books.  Phoenix to Palmdale via I-10, pines to palms, 38 into bigbear, rim of the world to138/2/138 to Palmdale.  Headed to santa Cruz tomorrow. 

Ach was closed, but other than that no snow.

P2P was phenomenal, so was rim of the world out of bigbear.  About 10 miles north of crestline was the most technical set of twisties I've ever seen.  Descending, decreasing radius, off camber, blind corners with no signage.  Very puckery. 

Awesome. What route are you taking? Consider this one...

http://goo.gl/maps/IAjcA

Except I would go further west on 58 and hit 229 (Rossi's Driveway) go up to Creston and work your way to Paso Robles. There is gas in either Frazier Park or Pine Mountain Club and then I would fuel in Taft - and squeeze all you can in. Your next gas would be around the 101 (Paso Robles). If you see anything sooner, get it.

Have fun!

KodiakRS
That guy

Reputation 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 04:11:45 pm »

Aaaand ill be doing none of that.

Lowsided at about 50 mph this morning.  Slightly too aggressive for the conditions combined with gravel and next thing you know I'm asphalt surfing.  Lake Hughes road between lake huges and I-5.

My firstgear kilimanjaro jacket held up pretty well but my ht air overpants had the armor shifted and burned through on my knee.  Slight rash on the knee and slightly sore shoulder is the total damage to me. 

The bike is in slightly worse shape.  The rear saddlebag has some serious rash, the right side fairings are all scuffed up.  The really bad damage is too the right handlebar.  Friction blended the throttle tube to the handlebar so I had to cut the end of the throttle tube off with my leatherman.  The front turn signal/handguard is mounted to the master cylinder which pulled out in the crash, stripping one of two bolts that anchor the cylinder.

I was able to ziptie the whole thing back into one piece and limp it to a dealership in L.A.  where a mechanic is attempting to fix the threads on the master cylinder.

Crashing !@$%*#ing sucks.   

stew71

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: 2007 Triumph Tiger
GPS: Sacramento, CA
Miles Typed: 1514

My Photo Gallery

Words simply cannot express how much I don't care.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 05:49:46 pm »

Holy $hit....glad to hear you made out better than the bike.... Thumbsup

Hope your repairs go smoothly.

Oh...and welcome to Cali.

A hamster wheel looks like a career ladder from the inside.
The police never think it's as funny as you do.
viffergyrl

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

Road Witch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 06:31:10 pm »

EEK! Holy Crap! That's too bad. Hopefully you can get it fixed and still have some seat time with your friends.

But you are going to be sore tomorrow....  Sad

KodiakRS
That guy

Reputation 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 10:09:57 pm »

Well, everything but the cosmetic damage on the bike is fixed.  I'm guessing my shoulder is going to hurt like crazy in the morning but for now its just sore.  Luckily I'm at the hotel where we're all supposed to meet tomorrow so if its really bad ill just stay there and see how things are on Saturday.  It's been over 12 hours since the crash and its not too bad so I have hope. 

Oh and a MASSIVE shoutout to pro Italia.  They're a dealer in the la area that I took the bike too and everyone there went waaay above and beyond the call of duty richer me back on the road. 

sprockethead

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: Ninja 1000
GPS: Talos IV
Miles Typed: 20

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 11:45:50 pm »

Wow what a bummer Kodiak!  It was such an awesome trip on paper...  hope you're back on the road soon!
squeezer
Squirrelly Geezer

Reputation 83

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 16 Tiger XR(x)
GPS: The OC
Miles Typed: 5553

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 12:04:58 am »

So bummed to hear about the crash but glad you're at least up and about. I hope the pain eases quickly.

Dang. I missed Ed's birthday again.
IBA, AMA, AARP
viffergyrl

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

Road Witch

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 01:24:24 am »

Well, everything but the cosmetic damage on the bike is fixed.  I'm guessing my shoulder is going to hurt like crazy in the morning but for now its just sore.  Luckily I'm at the hotel where we're all supposed to meet tomorrow so if its really bad ill just stay there and see how things are on Saturday.  It's been over 12 hours since the crash and its not too bad so I have hope. 

Oh and a MASSIVE shoutout to pro Italia.  They're a dealer in the la area that I took the bike too and everyone there went waaay above and beyond the call of duty richer me back on the road. 

Yeah I've heard good things about ProItalia - glad to see they took care of you.

Wow what a bummer Kodiak!  It was such an awesome trip on paper...  hope you're back on the road soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal