Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Diavel Strada  (Read 12425 times)

HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2013, 03:21:59 pm »

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/912/14872/Motorcycle-Article/2013-Ducati-Diavel-Strada-First-Look.aspx

2013 Ducati Diavel Strada First Look

The 2013 Ducati Diavel Strada sees the addition of a front windscreen and saddlebags for starters. The bags are top-loading and shaped to match the sporting disposition of the motorcycle, providing a claimed 10 gallons (41 liters) of storage. The handlebars have been raised up to make an already upright riding position even more relaxed, bringing them up 0.6 inches and pulling them back toward the rider 2.36 inches. The new touring Diavel has a bigger seat with more foam cushioning while the passenger area sees the addition of a back rest, grab rails and revised footpegs. Amenities like heated grips and the addition of two auxiliary power outlets are also useful additions for riders who spend long hours in the saddle, the outlets allowing for the easy plug-in of navigation systems or heated clothing.

The addition of the touring package pushes the Diavel’s mass up to a claimed curb weight of 540 pounds, a gain of 13 pounds compared to the standard Diavel. Fear not, though. The new Diavel Strada will be powered by Ducati’s superbike engine, the potent 1198cc Testastretta V-Twin. Ducati did revise the intake and exhaust ports and adjusted cam timing on its Testastretta 11-degree engine in order to give it more cruiser-like low-end torque, though. The overlap angle on the Testastretta has been reduced from the 41-degree superbike setting in an attempt to improve fuel economy while lowering emissions. The Diavel Strada also has an oil bath clutch with a slipper function which reduces pressure on the clutch plates and will help keep the rear end in check when downshifting.
The 2013 Ducati Diavel Strada will benefit from the Italian marque’s combination of electronic rider aids. As if its four-piston, twin radially-mounted Brembo calipers and huge front 320mm discs didn’t already capably reel in the action, the motorcycle comes standard with Ducati Bosch-Brembo ABS. This is addition to Ducati Traction Control with eight levels of programmability each keeping vigil to make sure wheel spin matches up to throttle position. The Diavel Strada is equipped with three different Riding Modes too, (Sport, Touring, Urban) which can be set to deliver all 162 hp to the rear wheel or as little as 100 hp, depending on riding conditions and skill levels.

One thing that didn’t change to match its new touring mantra is the size of its tank as Diavel Stradas destined for the U.S. will continue to feature 4.5 gallon fuel cells. We averaged almost 37 mpg while touring on the 2012 Ducati Diavel Carbon and found ourselves stopping about every other hour because by then we had already rocketed through its approximate 165-mile-per-tank range.

The 2013 Ducati Diavel Strada has a $19,495 MSRP and is offered in a Race Titanium Matte colorway with a black frame and wheels.  All of the 2013 Ducati Diavel models come with an unlimited two-year warranty.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

veefer800canuck
Nicky Hayden stole my childhood!

Reputation 167

GPS: Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada, EH?
Miles Typed: 6790

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 03:54:45 pm »

do not want

jfusaro

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2011 Ducat Multi Touring S Red
GPS: Western Ct.
Miles Typed: 416

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 03:58:20 pm »

There's an ass for every seat.
Advertisement

Lawn Dart
I am BMW-K: I survived Christine's Wrath.

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2012 Ducati Monster EVO; 2011 Yamaha WR250R
GPS: Anaheim Hills, CA
Miles Typed: 4456

My Photo Gallery

- C'mon Iron Horse! Go faster! Go Faster!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 11:20:22 pm »

The Diavel just doesn't make sense to me... Headscratch

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived, and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked, 
caddydaddy

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
GPS: Harlingen, Texas USA
Miles Typed: 1299

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 12:22:56 am »

The Diavel just doesn't make sense to me... Headscratch

It's a very fun bike to ride though.   Bigsmile

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
Flyer
Just put me back up on the bike.

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi Tre Volumetrica "Lampo Bianco", Kona NuNu "The Slug", Colnago C50 "La Spada di Cambiago", Kona Jake the Snake.
GPS: "O Canada, We Stand On Cars and Freeze"
Miles Typed: 6858

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 11:57:51 am »

It's a very fun bike to ride though.   Bigsmile

Got to agree.
But this one's homely in extremis.

“Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to was never there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it".   Flannery O'Connor.
Aero
Italophile

Reputation 20

Motorcycles: '99 Ducati ST2
GPS: Was Ontario, now Gloucestershire, UK
Miles Typed: 810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 03:47:44 pm »

I still don't understand why Ducati say that the reason they stopped making the STn series bikes is because there is no market for sport touring bikes, and anyway it doesn't suit Ducati's sporty image, then they proceed to kit out the Multistrada, Hypermotard and the Diavel as touring or sport touring bikes. Headscratch  None of them fills the shoes of the ST range as far as I'm concerned. It would be so easy for Ducati to put an ST style fairing and handlebars on a Multistrada, maybe lower it a little and voila, a new ST! Smile

You should not anthropomorphize machines. They don't like it.Cool
Confucius says:
"Forget about the past, you cannot change it. Forget about the future, you cannot predict it. Forget about the present, I didn't get you one."
caddydaddy

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 07:45:29 pm »

Triumph got rid of the Sprint, so maybe the ST market really is dying?

falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 09:58:28 pm »

ADV is the new ST.
Croak

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: 03 Aprilia Tuono, '13 Kymco Agility City 200i
GPS: Is-Swieqi/San Ġiljan, Malta
Miles Typed: 1527

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 11:05:58 pm »

Yep.  Full-fairing bikes 1000cc and larger are pretty much relegated to supersports and the shaft-driven barco-lounger class these days, with a few (generally poor selling) exceptions still on the market, like the Ninja 1000.  

The high-end large ADV bike market is the SUV or "crossover" to the Luxury Touring bike's estate wagon or large sedan.  Projects a more butch image while doing essentially the same job.  

caddydaddy

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 11:22:54 pm »

The high-end large ADV bike market is the SUV or "crossover" to the Luxury Touring bike's estate wagon or large sedan.  Projects a more butch image while doing essentially the same job.  

Exactly!  The Triumph Tiger 800 and Tiger Explorer are selling fast, but the Sprint ST and GT are dead!   Sad  
  I was reading that the Tiger Explorer was the #1 selling bike in the UK!

RIDUX

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 2000 Ducati ST2
GPS: Rockville RI
Miles Typed: 121

My Photo Gallery

Big lapels=70's safety gear

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 03:47:26 pm »

Who is this bike for...I dont get it. Thumbsdown

Departed Friends...1995 Ducati 900sscr, 2004 Triumph Sprint RS, 2000 Triumph Daytona 955i, 1986 Yamaha FZ750, 1982 Yamaha Vision, Various off road Kawasakis, Yamahas, a Can-Am and a Rokon.  It all started at 6yrs old on a 1967? Yamaha JT60.
FBRR

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: Harley V Rod, Harley Dyna(gone) ..Kawasaki C14( GONE)
Miles Typed: 755

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 05:48:36 pm »

Itt's for the guy that wants a naked backroad bike most of the time, with the option of overnight bags for weekend trips.
(And he wants to go FAST!)

The lasck of "imagination" of folks on this site is amazing too! Not everyone wants to tour everytime they ride. And many bikes fit OTHER riding time. No one is going to pick a Diavelstrada for a coast to coast run. But riding a "Sport touring" bike all the time gets tiring too.
I've had many different kinds of bikes and everyone was FUN!

caddydaddy

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 05:57:14 pm »

Last time I was at the Duc dealer a guy was looking at the Multistrada, but wanted something that his wife would be able to get on easily. They both liked the Diavel and were really interested in the touring version.
  I guess that's who Ducati built the bike for!

falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 07:02:21 pm »

Lots of haters.  It's not for me either, but they'll sell some.  When they came out with the Diavel, we all said the same thing.  Listen, it's not a bike for most of the people on this forum.  But there are motorcyclists out there who will buy this bike.  The Diavel rides pretty sweet (again, I wouldn't buy one over Ducati's other bikes), so I can absolutely see why folks would buy the bagged version.  Most of us on here aren't really in the market for a Harley, either.  They're certainly selling bikes, so will Ducati.
dave3223

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 10 Kawasaki Concours
GPS: SW Michigan
Miles Typed: 60

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 02:03:44 pm »

I know thread is over a year old, but I dig this bike.

But then again, I think my b-king is attractive  Shrug
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 02:17:01 pm »

For the money, I'd much rather have a Moto Guzzi California Touring.

Silverbird

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: '16 FJR1300 '07 919
GPS: Failville, CO
Miles Typed: 1625

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 05:30:31 pm »

So much for an ST5
dave3223

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 10 Kawasaki Concours
GPS: SW Michigan
Miles Typed: 60

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 02:36:39 am »

This bike seems to have everything I'd want. Backrest for passenger. Comfortable riding position, abs, customizable map for conditions, unique styling, plenty of power, removable panniers. Only obstacle is the price
veefer800canuck
Nicky Hayden stole my childhood!

Reputation 167

GPS: Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada, EH?
Miles Typed: 6790

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 06:57:23 am »

So much for an ST5

Roll your own.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal