Poll
Question: As a service advisor for a local motorcycle dealership, would you appreciate a call from me to solicite your service work plus the names and numbers of your friends that ride so I can solicite theirs?  (Voting closed: March 29, 2013, 01:43:33 pm)
Absolutely!  Please call me! - 1 (1.7%)
I'd rather receive a text/email/or mailing. - 13 (21.7%)
Go ahead and put me on your no call list right now - 30 (50%)
Call me at your own peril - 16 (26.7%)
Total Voters: 59

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Telemarketing  (Read 13009 times)

johnnyb
My favorite thing in the world was made in China

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '06
Motorcycles: 02 GSF600S Sport bagger, 02 GSX-R750 Track bike
GPS: Milwaukee, WI
Miles Typed: 602

My Photo Gallery

Giddyup

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2013, 01:43:33 pm »

I'd like to solicite the opinions of my motorcycling friends.  I'm informed that in my position as service advisor for a local motorcycle dealership, I will now be required to make 20-30 calls per day to individuals on our customer list.  I am to use a script I've been provided to solicite service work on their motorcycles and to also solicite the names and numbers of their motorcycling friends so that I may call them to solicte addtional business.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I'm either the "slow fast guy" or the "fast slow guy".
Either the "old young guy" or the "young old guy".
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

sleazy rider

Reputation 37

Years Contributed: '06, '07
Years Supported: '11
Miles Typed: 5560

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 01:51:33 pm »

If'n I wanna talk to anybody's service department, I'd call them.  Expect rude and abusive language if I even pick up.   Twofinger  Oh, and that business you used to get from me?  Kiss it Buh-bye.
RedCBRRider
Mr. Fabulous

Reputation 15

GPS: Pewaukee, WI
Miles Typed: 2761

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 02:16:41 pm »

I'm normally kind of prick anyway, but telemarketers take my propensity for prickyness to whole new level.

Twofinger LEAVE ME THE F**K ALONE!!!  Twofinger

2014 BMW R1200GS
Advertisement

et

Reputation 17

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: '04 sv650s, '10 Griso
Miles Typed: 824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 02:25:04 pm »

I'm guessing the poll will need an option similar to the first two responses.

It's only called commuting if you are using four wheels; if you're using two wheels it's called riding.
Kneescrubber
King of the 90º flat turn

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: '99 Honda VFR, '73 BMW R75/5
GPS: The western U.S. is strewn with paper maps I've lost from my tankbag.
Miles Typed: 3787

My Photo Gallery

Just a little more

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 03:08:38 pm »

Just make sure you get their email address too.

I'm on ST.N so its not like I'm a productive member of society anyway.   DogBoy
It's the internet.  It runs on drama.    Cablebandit
The difference between fiction and reality is fiction has to be believable.  Tom Clancy
FJR1300

Reputation 33

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: 2012 Honda CBR250
GPS: Jefferson City, MO
Miles Typed: 4614

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 03:52:10 pm »

Leave me ALONE. I just bought a new truck and the dealership is driving me crazy. They keep calling to know about my purchase experience. If I want to tell you how my purchase experience was, I will call YOU to let you know. I have already filed a complaint with the AG's officer because I have asked them to put me on their Do Not Call list, but they keep calling!

LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

Oh... did that answer your question?  

FZ1 Matt
Scott's Group

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: yes
GPS: Cheese
Miles Typed: 1793

My Photo Gallery

KLR goes sputter sputter gurgle gurgle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 03:55:22 pm »

As a motorcycle dealer in general: send me an email so that I can delete it or instantly unsubscribe. Don't waste a stamp and paper and please don't call.  Unless --- it is a deal far better than anything I could ever imagine. Your current $20 per wheel off bike tire changes are pretty good! Send emails about that.

As JohhnyB my friend: shoot me a text when these awesome deals are known.

Marketing is tricky. Telemarketing\email marketing etc is old school. Successful marketing strategies need to encourage/welcome the customer into thinking that it was their idea to conduct business in the first place.

I don't even know what the most successful methods are because I haven't figured them out yet! -- I was tricked encouraged/welcomed that well!

That only leaves me to talk about other methods that aren't as traditional in the motorcycle dealership type of structure.

1: Loyalty program.
Spend so much in service at your place -- earn either a discount or dollar amount off next service. Guys with many bikes (me) would love this! Or something like "Pay for 6 hours of service and get the 7th free. This would encourage someone to bring their bike in for something and then have something else done to it while there. That is win/win for dealer and customer in time and money savings.

2:Refer a friend.
Ask a new customer if one of their friends referred them. Verify this info, then give new customer a discount that they didn't expect, and then give the friend that referred them a discount on their next service. Another win/win for customer and dealership.

3: Let the customers do the talking.
Sit back, relax, let the customers do the marketing/prospecting work for you.  Your job then is to preform motorcycle service better than EVERYONE else around. Maybe a small push now and again through advertising channels to let everyone know that you're transferring your marketing budget savings directly on to the customer. Explain that rather than having service advisors focusing their time and energy on marketing and prospecting for customers, they are spending their time learning about and  providing excellent customer service to every single person that comes in the door.

Number 3 here is the easiest to implement. A somewhat passive marketing approach like this should provide excellent customer retention, allow the customer to do some marketing work for you and help the dealer and customers at the same time.

p.s. I have no formal education in marketing. I consider this an asset. Further consultation services on this subject are welcome. Compensation in the form of money, discount, or trade are appreciated. That goes for anyone reading this! (this is my passive approach)

I've seen passive marketing work and appreciate when a business offers it (by sort of not offering it) to me. People love choices, make their choice clear.

black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 03:57:10 pm »

I miss the days when my kids were little. Nothing better than handing the telemarketer over to a 3 year old Razz

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15423

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 04:03:44 pm »

That only leaves me to talk about other methods that aren't as traditional in the motorcycle dealership type of structure.

In addition to what FZ1 Matt posted, a motorcycle shop (not a dealer) that I used to frequent would hold "Ladies' Night" once in a while, inviting a local female rider to talk about her trips, experiences, etc. There were always discounts on women's gear and other specials could be added as needed. This, to me, is the best type of marketing. Offer me something of interest but let me decide if I want to act on it (invites were sent out via post card, but I think that email is the way to go these days)

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Papa Lazarou

Reputation 61

Years Contributed: '09
GPS: Sussex
Miles Typed: 9253

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 04:05:46 pm »

feckin double glazing sales...

Actuallyt, to be more helpful and for you to get more feedback, try the motorcycle polls section.

The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead
Oddball

Reputation 34

Motorcycles: '12 Tiger 800 XC, '06 FZ1, '99 R1100RT-P
GPS: Stillman Valley, IL
Miles Typed: 1335

My Photo Gallery

Cats out of the bag just south of cheese.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 04:47:26 pm »

This is the first year I thought about this at all since I do most of the maintenance on all my vehicles, but shortly after purchasing a rare car that I took it to a dealer to have a once through I ran into a situation very similar.  Then the first mailing I received was a hand written offer to buy my low mileage 2003.  I called and thanked them for their interest, but asked that I not be contacted again with offer for purchase or service solicitation.  Well that did not happen.  I have gotten off their call list, but still receive mailings.   While they are conveniently located to where I work I will not be taking my car in for service and may only purchase parts if they are competitive when I call.  

Now I do believe I am different to most customers where I prefer to understand how to repair my own motorcycles.  I have trouble shot problems on the road many states from home in the past and only a trailer in one occasion.  Thank you mxvet for coming to get me on one and only time I could not road repair and it was one of the few days you were not riding.

Not sure if this helps as I do believe that the STN members are different than other riders.

There used to be a BMW dealer in Rockford that I took mine for some services.  This was due to the fact that their techs would have training days teaching anyone how to properly service their own motorcycles.  After attending a few of these I learned what I will attempt and what I would prefer to take to them.  Since they have closed I will do it my self, or find an expert here on STN to assist me in trying preform my own maintenance.  They would do emailing with tech days, discounts, group rides, open houses, etc.  The own also let me rider his own motorcycle one day when I was having fork seals replaced.  Only motorcycle dealer I miss.

IBA# 22015
TheRedOnesAreFaster
Had to go with a white motorcycle to slow things down a bit.

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT, CanAm Ryker Rally Edition
GPS: Battle Creek, MI
Miles Typed: 2036

My Photo Gallery

Rides the Maidencruiser

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 05:25:31 pm »

I hate solicitations of any sort.

I will contact you if I think I need your services.  Or I can read your ad in the paper or see it on TV our heater it on the radio.

Stay off my phone and out of my email.   Please.

Silly Harley rider......Don't you know Tigers eat hogs?
Papa Lazarou

Reputation 61

GPS: Sussex
Miles Typed: 9253

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 06:41:52 pm »

I hate solicitations of any sort.

I will contact you if I think I need your services.  Or I can read your ad in the paper or see it on TV our heater it on the radio.

Stay off my phone and out of my email.   Please.

agree

The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead
Kootenanny
"Not That Good"

Reputation 33

Miles Typed: 4630

My Photo Gallery

Buellshit!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 07:58:03 pm »

I would actively avoid taking my bike in for service to a shop which was actively soliciting me by phone.

i think you should take a look at this: http://www.cbc.ca/undertheinfluence/season-2/2013/03/16/tales-of-customer-service-1/  You might want your manager to look at it as well.

From the article:  "Customer service is marketing.  It's astounding how many companies never fully grasp this point. But the best companies do. And the ways they express great customer service is a lesson for all of us."

The way to get more business is to offer outstanding customer service.  Get things done when you say they're gonna be done, charge what you say you're gonna charge, and if the opportunity arises to help the customer out, do it!  Phoning me is just gonna piss me off...there may have been a time when it was worth doing, but nowadays, with all the spam we have to deal with on a daily basis, you don't wanna be seen as just another spammer...

E=MC2
Stripes
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: Triumph, Ducati, BMW
GPS: On the water
Miles Typed: 4519

My Photo Gallery

I'm on a boat!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 08:00:33 pm »

If you started soliciting me I would cease doing business at your establishment or never start.

"We all should aspire once in life to date a psychotic nymphomaniac, no matter what the aftermath."
UFO

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 08:10:35 pm »

TBH..no thank you.

We don't even answer our phone if the number that flashes up on our TV doesn't have a name of immediate friends/family.

Email is the say to go (if possible).
Scratch33

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, 2x'10
Motorcycles: '08 R1200GSA, '09 DD750, '07 F800S, '10 Madass 125
GPS: That Other Place
Miles Typed: 12394

My Photo Gallery

His Excellency's Car!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 08:18:37 pm »

I'm informed that in my position as service advisor for a local motorcycle dealership, I will now be required to make 20-30 calls per day to individuals on our customer list.

"Second prize is a set of steak knives..."

All Your Forum Are Belong to VS
Mastros2

Reputation 68

Years Contributed: '09, 10
Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple R
GPS: Central NJ
Miles Typed: 4146

My Photo Gallery

My daddy loves cookies

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 08:39:17 pm »

We just bought a new car and received 3 calls so far from the service department, sales department and GM. Why? One from my sales guy we dealt with asking how we are doing would have sufficed.

E-mail will be the way to go.

mastros2.wordpress.com
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 09:00:18 pm »

If'n I wanna talk to anybody's service department, I'd call them.  Expect rude and abusive language if I even pick up.   Twofinger  Oh, and that business you used to get from me?  Kiss it Buh-bye.

^^^ This. Don't EVER call me to solicit business.

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
melville

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: BMW R75/6, Yamaha 850 Extra Special
GPS: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Miles Typed: 172

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 08:36:34 am »

Boy, I'm sorry for you.  True cold calling TMers typically are enthused with a 1% positive response.  At 20-30 calls per day, you could go a week before you get a call with a happy ending.  He who informed you--have you informed him just where he can shove it?

Oh, and don't call me.

Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
motormike

Reputation 31

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800FI
GPS: Mpls., Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1160

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 09:49:44 am »

Tell your Manager that Service solicitation is one way to kill your service business.  Relationship development, professional service, coupons, specials, etc. are a better way of attempting to increase your service business.
bomber

Reputation 30

GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17355

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 09:58:33 am »

I agree with the majority of posters on this thread -- I'd rather no contact, but, if you have to do so to keep your gig, email please.

Another way to build service/parts business is to be different . . .advertise the fact that you'll have a part in hand after x days from an internet or phone order . . . hold events to draw me in (classes, seminars, like that) in concert with a decent deal . . . . . pick my bike up, or give me a lift home (or to the train station) . . . .

standard service offerings are everywhere (even though your brand may not have a huge number of dealers) . . . . rather than try to compete against other motorcycle dealers alone, look at how successful car or truck dealers are getting service in the door . . . . . . . . .extened hours, scheduled maintenance while you wait on certain days, make YOUR service so convenient, it appears easier than doing my own service.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:00:04 pm by bomber » Logged

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
JReazor

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2000 SV650, 2011 Sprint GT, 2007 C3
GPS: Drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
Miles Typed: 3319

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 10:17:03 am »

Yep, you're not going to get very far with a phone call since I would have given you a Google Voice number that goes straight to voice mail.

Even if I did talk to you, there is no way in hell I'm going to give out someone else's contact info. If one of my friends did that to me and I found out about it we'd be having a nice long chat about that.
black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 10:29:25 am »

telemarketers suck, no matter the "product" Twofinger

the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 10:37:02 am »

I agree with the majority of posters on this thread -- I'd rather no contace, but, if you have to do so to keep your gig, email please.

Another +1 to this.

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), St Triple 765 R (low), Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 10:44:19 am »

I'm inclined to lean toward the common sentiment given.
But...
I will itemize for clarity;
Are you calling with a specific, discount offer?  I'd listen to that.
If you're calling to tell me your dealership has a service dept., you're insulting my intelligence and I don't tolerate insults.
If/when you ask for names and numbers, my only response will be: "Give me the name and personal cell # of your manager."  No, I don't expect you'd give it to me...  because I sure won't give you any.
20-30 a day will be easy - because the vast majority are going to be hanging up on you.  But that's of the ones that don't go to answering machine / voice-mail.
For the record; I bought my BMW from this dealership, and have had it serviced there (though I do my own maintenance).
I'm hoping I gave them my home # and not my cell #.
Part of me applauds your management for trying something different.  But most of me recognises why no other (legitimate) business I've heard of is using this model.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 11:20:31 am »

A follow up....

I take my car to the dealer for service.  They send me email when it's time for an upcoming service; the email includes information about their current specials/discounts.  

I like the email reminder/info because it gives me time for the service info to "percolate" in my brain.  I can read it and think about it over a day or so before making the appointment.  

If someone calls me, chances are I'm in the middle of something else and the baby is crying and the cat is puking and I'm pretty much guaranteed to want to get rid of the caller as soon as humanly possible.  Even if my car needs the service, I'm unlikely to discuss it -- much less make a decision -- on the phone right then.  

Since email is done on my own time, when it's convenient for me, I'm in a better mood and am much more receptive to sales techniques. Bigsmile

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 11:52:37 am »

A follow up....

I take my car to the dealer for service.  They send me email when it's time for an upcoming service; the email includes information about their current specials/discounts.  

I like the email reminder/info because it gives me time for the service info to "percolate" in my brain.  I can read it and think about it over a day or so before making the appointment.  

If someone calls me, chances are I'm in the middle of something else and the baby is crying and the cat is puking and I'm pretty much guaranteed to want to get rid of the caller as soon as humanly possible.  Even if my car needs the service, I'm unlikely to discuss it -- much less make a decision -- on the phone right then.  

Since email is done on my own time, when it's convenient for me, I'm in a better mood and am much more receptive to sales techniques. Bigsmile

Thumbsup

expatbrit

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1401

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 02:28:48 pm »

^^^ This. Don't EVER call me to solicit business.

Same boat. I'm shopping for a new car, slowly. Told a local dealer that. They called me that day (Saturday). Someone else called me Sunday. ANOTHER person called me Monday.

I didn't answer the first 3, and then I called them and said that even if I /did/ buy the car, I was going somewhere else.

It doesn't help. And asking me for other people to call? Also doesn't help.
jetapumper

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '06 Connie
GPS: I.G.H. MN
Miles Typed: 462

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 09:10:46 am »

I don't facebook, tweet, snapchat or myspace (if it's still around). I want to be left alone. If I want to know more about your business, I will initiate contact. Don't call, don't e-mail, don't text.

IMO, there is s special place reserved in perdition for tele-marketers (I realize the person on the phone is just trying to do a job so I'm not rude. Just "No Thanks" and hang up.). Your odds of selling me anything via a phone call is less than zero.

"Hard work never killed anybody. But why take the chance? -Edgar Bergen
Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 104

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1507

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2013, 12:06:38 pm »

+1

I get telemarketers all day long. I'm on the DO NOT CALL list and you better damn respect it. Those who don't never get my business again and are politely told so when they call me in disregard of that. I've then had charities defensively respond with, "Legally, we're not required to comply since we're a charity." I then politely explain how they are asking me for something and such responses lose my respect and my participation.

Tell your boss he better have a DNC list to cross reference with his customer list. How big is the place that they can call 20-30 customers a day and not be tapped out in a month (or less)?

Customer service is marketing.

BINGO! (Please. Floridians, don't arrest me for typing that in public.)

I bought my nearly $50k car at a specific dealership because of how we were treated in their service department. I hadn't bought my other car (of the same brand) from them but their comfortable and clean environment, knowledgeable and skilled mechanics, their willingness to offer up options, loaners, etc. and so forth sold us on them as the dealer of choice when it came time for my next purchase... and I told both the Service and Sales Managers exactly that in writing after closing the sale.

Solicitors

I have a sign on the front door: NO SOLICITORS

You would not believe the number of people who come to the door, read it (or not) and still ring the door bell. When I point to the sign as they begin their pitch, they always reply, "But we're not selling anything." I kindly explain simple English to them and how, yes, they are trying to "solicit" (my attendance, my contribution, etc.).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 12:17:57 pm by Bounce » Logged

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
UrbanHermit

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 05 K1200LT, 98 Valkyrie Tourer, 98 Moto Guzzi V11
Miles Typed: 56

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 07:53:05 pm »

For gawd's sake, address whomever answers as Mr, Mrs, or Ms -- NEVER by his or her first name (unless you are personal friends with them or you've had sex with them -- those are the only two conditions in which it is acceptable to use the familiar form of address in a business situation, I don't care how much that standard of business etiquette and professionalism is violated) !

I HATE telemarketers !!  By what right does anyone have to come into my home, into my living room, kitchen, or bedroom, even electronically, univited and unwanted, to try to do business ?

Send me a letter or postcard.  Do NOT send me an unsolicited e-mail.  I report all of those to my ISP's security partner as spam.

You have my condolences.  Can you change employment?

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal