Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: I bought a V Strom  (Read 6288 times)

TBone
Not an Asshat

Reputation 28

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Bikeless in NJ
GPS: Pequannock, N.J.
Miles Typed: 3447

My Photo Gallery

There is no you, there is only me

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2013, 12:01:08 pm »

I sold my Speed Triple last week, and last night I picked up a new 2012 V Strom 650.   Banana

What fun bike, so comfortable and a great fit for me physically. I even did my first soft-roading!

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr338/tbone048/2013-03-29105510_zps4b6395b9.jpg

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr338/tbone048/2013-03-29103504_zpsc05e8736.jpg

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're so hard to verify." - Abraham Lincoln
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Skee

Reputation 67

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '08 Wee, 2013 Connie
GPS: SE PA
Miles Typed: 1968

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 12:34:59 pm »

If only it wasn't so clean.  Have fun with it.

I'd rather be riding anywhere with you than sitting at this [email protected] keyboard.
CosmicCowboy

Reputation 24

Motorcycles: 2007 FZ1
GPS: Tennessee
Miles Typed: 803

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 12:59:12 pm »

What Skee said. Mine hasn't been washed since last time I rode in the rain.

"See, it's kinda like some STN threads. When the pot stops steaming, hissing, spitting, and spewing, it's usually done." -ConPilot1
Advertisement

TBone
Not an Asshat

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 01:07:10 pm »

Hey, it's still new, give me some time to muck it up.  Lol

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're so hard to verify." - Abraham Lincoln
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13728

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 01:12:18 pm »

Cool bike.  Probably quite a slow-down from your Speed Triple.  Enjoy.  Smile
sfalexi

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2010 ST1300
GPS: Columbia, SC
Miles Typed: 500

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 06:42:23 pm »

Cool man.  I'm actually jonesin' for a street triple, but as a second bike to my vstrom.  Probably in a few years once I clean some other stuff up.
stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: FJ-09, WeeStrom
GPS: West Lake Michigan
Miles Typed: 4574

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 09:58:09 pm »

Congrats, and welcome to the 'I don't care how it looks' side. Wink  With a set of knobbies you'd be surprised by what that bike can do.

Love the white.  Thumbsup

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
TBone
Not an Asshat

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 10:35:19 pm »

Cool bike.  Probably quite a slow-down from your Speed Triple.  Enjoy.  Smile

For sure, but I'm pleasantly surprised by how well it gets along. Right now I'm sort of following the break in procedure so I haven't wrung it out yet and it seems to have plenty of get up and go.

Congrats, and welcome to the 'I don't care how it looks' side. Wink  With a set of knobbies you'd be surprised by what that bike can do.

Love the white.  Thumbsup

Thanks.  Smile   I actually like the way the restyled Stroms look. Proof that I'm losing it as I get older maybe?   Lol

Grey Wolf

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2012 Suzuki DL650A
Miles Typed: 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 11:28:42 am »

I actually like the way the restyled Stroms look. Proof that I'm losing it as I get older maybe?   Lol
Wisdom has been know to come with age. The great majority of 2012+ DL650 owners are 41-60 years old according to the poll at http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/89833-age-2012-dl650-riders-just-take-poll-do-not-reply-your-age-post.html

Pat
TBone
Not an Asshat

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 01:41:26 pm »

Hi Grey Wolf. I saw the poll over at stromtroopers. I was lurking there like an obsessed stalker for a while, it's a great resource and helped cement my decision to go with the Suzuki.

kevin2849
Usually lost!

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '05 DL-650, '13 XT1200z
GPS: Newark, Ohio
Miles Typed: 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 12:06:03 pm »

I have posted about 6 times since I joined here in 2006 or so, but I will come out of the woods long enough to say, "good choice."
TBone
Not an Asshat

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 01:19:09 pm »

I have posted about 6 times since I joined here in 2006 or so, but I will come out of the woods long enough to say, "good choice."

Lol   Thanks, now get back into hiding!

Hickey
Farmer Bill

Reputation 41

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: Street Triple R
GPS: Camp Grove, IL
Miles Typed: 2783

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 05:07:08 pm »

Any updates?

Without exception, I'd rather know an upsetting fact than believe a comforting lie.
TBone
Not an Asshat

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 12:48:22 pm »

Updates:

I've had an opportunity to do lots of riding in different conditions over the last 2 weeks.

Conclusion - This is a great bike.  Thumbsup

It's not a powerhouse, but has plenty of useable power throughout the rev range. I definitely don't feel that it's underpowered even though it is roughly half the hp from my last bike. The only time I miss the extra oomph is on the highway at speeds over 80 mph. Passing at those speeds requires some more planning than I'm used to, which was none at all on the Speed Triple.   Lol

It's got a great ride, not mushy or wallowy as I was fearing it might be with the low-tech bits it comes with. A pleasant surprise in the handling department.

The ergos are spot-on perfect for me right out of the box. I've been having cramping issues in my hands with the onset of arthritis and the riding position on the Strom has eliminated 99.9% of my problem. Even the seat is comfortable to me, though a lot of people bitch about them.

I removed the stock mirrors and put on bar ends, and that has reduced the infamous buffeting issues to a negligible minimum.

So far I'm loving it and looking forward to lots of miles to come.  Smile

Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13728

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 01:02:26 pm »

Nice update.  Yes, it's a very good engine for real world riding; at least I'm impressed with it in my wife's Gladius.   Thumbsup
Oxblood

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
GPS: Vancouver, BC
Miles Typed: 1091

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 10:29:00 pm »

That is a nice looking bike. I like the |Wee in white. I had a 2007 650. It was an awesome bike, and there have been times I missed it. Great touring bik, awesome fuel economy, good ergos, and yes, you Can RIDE SINGLETRACK WITH IT. iT AIN'T FUN, BUT IT WILL DO IT.
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Wee-Strom Past: '06 VFR800, '06 KLR650
GPS: Eugene, OR
Miles Typed: 4191

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 01:05:53 pm »

Belated "Woohoo!" on your purchase. I love the new-styled Wee's (and agree the white looks good).

I don't have a lot of experience riding different bikes. But I've ridden a Ducati ST3 a lot (996cc?)...and owned a VFR800...and since 2007, I've been completely happy with the Wee. The only time I've thought of moving to a more powerful bike is when riding two-up...but even 2-up, the Wee does amazingly well. I'll redline it once in a while if I really flog it hard going up a steep, twisty mountain pass....but those times are pretty rare...and most of time I'm completely happy with the broad range of usable power.

And once you get used to dropping a gear or two to pass at higher speeds, it does that fine too.  Razz

I used to think I didn't need a literbike (or more) because I didn't need that much power...but these days...as prices for new liter+ bikes creep ever upward...I'm thinking more and more that I just don't want to pay more than $10K for a bike period. Crazy as it may sound, I love motorcycling, but I don't love it enough to fork out $15K or more on a bike. I'll just do with less power and less-slick features to stay under the $10K mark...

Scott

"I wanted to write a shorter letter, but didn't have time." —Abraham Lincoln
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal