Reputation 0

Motorcycles: CBR600F4I
GPS: SPAIN
Miles Typed: 137

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2013, 05:43:16 am »

Hi,

After one year with the GoPro I lost it due to a broken support.

Normally, I installed it in the tail with an adhesive mount. But this last weekend was the last time I did it… Look at the mount:

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac16/Gawain5/IMG_0951_zps9d3642ce.jpg

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac16/Gawain5/IMG_0950_zps86dd5734.jpg

It seems that support collapse because of the vibrations.

I wrote to GoPro asking for any solution that the problem was clearly the support that cause the camera lost since the camera was correctly fixed.
They just offered me a 20% discount on a new camera if I buy it on GoPro Web Store, that in my opinion is not a great deal since you can get similar discount in other local vendors.

Does anybody have similar experience?

Thinking on a new camera, logically I’m thinking in other brands since I’m very disappointed with GoPro because of the quality of the support and the solutions that they offered me.
I’ve seen that Contour & Drift have some very interesting products but I would like to know if the mounting system of this cameras are better & safer than the GoPro.

Thanks!
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

FJRider
My Preferred Pronouns are I/Told/You/So

Reputation 1755

GPS: Drifting through the Driftless
Miles Typed: 634

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 07:12:39 am »

I always tether any electronic device (GPS, iPhone, Drift HD Ghost, etc.) to my bike. I even pin my Givi e55 to the mounting rack. These things are too expensive to not take precautions.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." -- Leo Tolstoy
Max Wedge
Engineering Pathologist

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS '06 YZ250F
GPS: The mitten in Region 4
Miles Typed: 2460

My Photo Gallery

Sport-Mowing.net

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 07:33:59 am »

I switched my GoPro to a Ram mount. I also tether it, and have put my phone number with a "reward if found" note stickied to it. Next camera may be a Sony, looks pretty good, but I'm not replacing my GoPro soon, I hope.
Advertisement

bomber

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17355

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 11:10:03 am »

I always tether any electronic device (GPS, iPhone, Drift HD Ghost, etc.) to my bike. I even pin my Givi e55 to the mounting rack. These things are too expensive to not take precautions.

^this . . . .there are simply not many environments that are more challanging than a motorcycle . . . . .

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Wee-Strom Past: '06 VFR800, '06 KLR650
GPS: Eugene, OR
Miles Typed: 4191

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 03:31:51 pm »

I feel your pain---I lost one too the same way. And I still lose sleep sometimes knowing that somewhere along an empty rural road in Virginia, there's a GoPro lying beneath the leaves that's probably still perfectly functional. (I spent 2 hours looking for it...no luck.)

But seriously, see my thread on the Replay XD:
https://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,77479.0.html#.UXmEOysuSz4

It's a better cam, and has steel billet mounting parts---none of the GoPro's plashtic stuff.  Thumbsup

Scott

"I wanted to write a shorter letter, but didn't have time." —Abraham Lincoln
Gaw

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: CBR600F4I
GPS: SPAIN

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 08:44:35 am »

Thanks for the advice Scott,

I didn't know it and seems really interesting, for sure I'll take it into account when I'll buy next one.

Do you have any experience with Sony, Drift or Contour models?
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Wee-Strom Past: '06 VFR800, '06 KLR650
GPS: Eugene, OR
Miles Typed: 4191

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 10:33:04 am »

Thanks for the advice Scott,

I didn't know it and seems really interesting, for sure I'll take it into account when I'll buy next one.

Do you have any experience with Sony, Drift or Contour models?

I've heard good things about the Sony...but haven't tried one. And I believe Contour is the only one (to date) that has a built-in GPS (which is great---surprised they all aren't doing this.) Here's a great video shootout between many of the top models---made by PhotoJohn on MTBR.com (a huge mountain biking forum). This is about the best review out there if you want to compare them all side-by-side:

Scott

"I wanted to write a shorter letter, but didn't have time." —Abraham Lincoln
Yoda

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: Kawasaki ZZR 1200
Miles Typed: 16

My Photo Gallery

Corvallis, OR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 05:18:32 pm »

Sweet compare man.  Thanks for doing that.  Rather eye opening.
David Morrow

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 2015 CBR1000RR Super Sport Touring
GPS: Vancouver, B.C.
Miles Typed: 673

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 08:49:31 pm »

I switched my GoPro to a Ram mount. I also tether it, and have put my phone number with a "reward if found" note stickied to it. Next camera may be a Sony, looks pretty good, but I'm not replacing my GoPro soon, I hope.

...   I make up a Word or Excel document with my name and contact info and create a JPG of it by taking a pic of my computer screen which I save on the SD card in all of my cameras. I rename the JPG file so that it is the first file on the SD card and is evident as to what it is. Something like "000-Camera-Owner-Info.jpg Anyone finding the camera will undoubtedly check the SD card's contents.  

P.S. My condolences for your loss.

SS1000, SS1600K, SS2000, BB1500, BBG1500, TransCanada Quest, TransCanada Gold(2005), TransCanada Gold(2007), Smoke Chasing 15/15/15, SS1600K
crewwolfy

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 1999 Honda VFR800, 1982 XJ650 Seca
GPS: Chicago, IL

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 12:36:31 pm »

Sorry for your loss, man.  It's scary when things get so small AND expensive...  -_-

How does one get a 20% off discount on a GoPro?  I'm in the market, and that's a nice chunk of change...
malmon

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: '02FZ1, '96DR650
GPS: Gburg, MD
Miles Typed: 72

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 07:10:14 am »

Contour Roam works for me with a Ram mount screwed at the bottom, sturdier than the attachments that came with it. Limited option where to mount though on my 1st gen FZ1 with a tall screen. Rear shots mounted on the handle looks promising. Will test the side mirror next time with Ram. Been trying to figure the front forks mount and got a suggestion from DucatiRob that a clamp from a hardware store would do it.
Hope that helps.

Ride on...adventurously
from the Unknown nobody
Hotbrakes

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: KTM SMT, Super Duke R, RC51, F800S, 300XC
GPS: Beaverdam, VA
Miles Typed: 848

My Photo Gallery

Responsibly Irresponsible

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 09:55:26 am »

I've got insurance on my camera, it was offered after purchasing the camera on Amazon.  The camera jumped off the first time I used it at the track and insurance reimbursed me right away.

SuperHans
Liberal Pinhead

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: Warpig
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 4784

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 05:00:24 pm »

I just picked up a Sony Cam and really like it. My only gripe is the choice of mounting options, but I have been using a RAM mount of my own configuration that seems to work well.

Anarchy on the STN
BigH

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Goldwing 1800AL '09, Yamaha-R1 '06, Ducati ST4S Senna '03, Ducati S4S Senna '03, Honda Pan1100AX '99
Miles Typed: 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 12:20:29 am »

Anybody tried AEE Magicam SD23???
Look like a very competitive HD action cam to GoPro Black.

Many are tourists, some are travelers.
kltk1

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT, Victory Cross Country, BMW G650GS
GPS: Parsippany, NJ
Miles Typed: 69

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 07:02:01 am »

If you're not hung up on 1080p at 60fps and Bluetooth. It's tough to beat the Contour Roam. For $100 you've got a nice camera that shoots good video at 720p 30fps. The Roam is also a more streamlined design than the boxy GoPro.
Hotbrakes

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: KTM SMT, Super Duke R, RC51, F800S, 300XC
GPS: Beaverdam, VA
Miles Typed: 848

My Photo Gallery

Responsibly Irresponsible

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 08:21:14 am »

If you're not hung up on 1080p at 60fps and Bluetooth. It's tough to beat the Contour Roam. For $100 you've got a nice camera that shoots good video at 720p 30fps. The Roam is also a more streamlined design than the boxy GoPro.

And very unfortunately, Contours will be hard to find.  I personally love their ease of use and mounting style.  GoPros almost seem suicidal with the frequency they jump off their mounts.

http://mobile.businessweek.com/articles/2013-08-21/three-lessons-in-the-wipeout-of-contour-cameras

Vince

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2006 DR650
Miles Typed: 30

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 01:55:17 pm »

And very unfortunately, Contours will be hard to find.  I personally love their ease of use and mounting style.  GoPros almost seem suicidal with the frequency they jump off their mounts.

http://mobile.businessweek.com/articles/2013-08-21/three-lessons-in-the-wipeout-of-contour-cameras

You must be doing something wrong.I have had my go pro for about 2 years and so has my son and we use them for everything  quad,dirt bike,swimming,snowboarding,street bike etc! and we are hard on them and I have never had a malfunction or a mount break ever.we mount them everywhere also on the helmet the tank the fender or where ever it will fit.I even had a accident where my helmet was skidding on the ground on the mount and it didn't break!

This is my sons YouTube channel where he films when we ride
http://www.youtube.com/user/Smightification?feature=watch
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal