Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: 990 SM-T - what should I know...  (Read 20825 times)

Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 33

Motorcycles: '04 Concours - '03 FZ1 - '05 KTM 525 - '09 CRF250X - '13 KTM 990 SM-T - '07 Yamaha R6S
GPS: Shenandoah County, VA
Miles Typed: 3540

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 12:01:00 pm »

I was a bit of a bike whore prior to getting my KTM 950 SMR and have been quite happy with it for 5+ seasons now (54K+ miles). That's saying something. And I don't feel a particular need to buy anything new although I would like a bit more power. The bike isn't fast, but it's fast enough.

That said, I suspect my bike isn't running great and a trip to the dyno to get real numbers might be worth doing. Maybe the jetting needs some tweaking for optimal performance.

As I said at the start of this thread, buy the bike that gives you wood. Test rides > spec sheets.

Yeah, Fast is something that I don't feel "too* much need for. Eye blurring acceleration into the triple digits is not a big factor.
I want enough power to do extended highway running when needed without feeling I'm straining the motor.
Enough umph to put a grin on my face exiting corners.
A nice holigan type growl never hurts... Wink
Good suspension.
Strong brakes.
Decent stability at speed, though it doesn't have to be heavy sport touring type of stability, just not quite as flighty as a 300lb thumper tends to get at 80 in a crosswind. Wink
Agile enough to change direction quickly when I want it to without feeling like I'm having to muscle the bike. (One of the few faults i have with the FZ1, can't hide 520+ lbs too well when you're changing directions in a hurry)
Good ground clearance for those times when I'm feeling froggy.
Enough leg room to spare the knees.
At least a wee bit of wind protection.
Just enough cargo hauling ability to throw in a pair of jeans, and extra shirt, and a bit of rain gear from time to time.

Hey, I ain't hard to please! LOL.

I may die with nothing to show for it but there will be a heck of a garage sale.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

expatbrit

Reputation 15

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1401

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 01:02:27 pm »

I guess we have different ideas of what constitutes light weight.  

I came to it from a Sprint ST. Losing 100+ lbs made it 'light'. Yes, it's not Superbike light, or 690SM light -- but it's not a heavy bike in my estimation.

Now, YMMV!
miles

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13032

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2013, 01:30:49 pm »

I came to it from a Sprint ST. Losing 100+ lbs made it 'light'. Yes, it's not Superbike light, or 690SM light -- but it's not a heavy bike in my estimation.

Now, YMMV!

The SM-T weighs 200 more pounds than my Husky supermoto...  now that is a light bike.

Three points where two lines meet
Advertisement

vulcanbill
This IS me smiling.

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '13 XT250 only
GPS: Martinsburg, WV
Miles Typed: 2864

My Photo Gallery

newbie prepper

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2013, 02:06:52 pm »

right of first refusal when the fz hits the block?  Smile

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.  Garzeerah!
expatbrit

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2013, 05:09:42 pm »

The SM-T weighs 200 more pounds than my Husky supermoto...  now that is a light bike.

Yes. That is a light bike. A very light bike, and an honest to god SM. The SM-T is still a big bike, with all that that entails.

For what it is, I still think it's light.
Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 33

Motorcycles: '04 Concours - '03 FZ1 - '05 KTM 525 - '09 CRF250X - '13 KTM 990 SM-T - '07 Yamaha R6S

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2013, 05:24:00 pm »

right of first refusal when the fz hits the block?  Smile

Sure!

But you may be in for a wait.  I'm not pressed for storage space yet. Smile

I may die with nothing to show for it but there will be a heck of a garage sale.
Dan K

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: '10 VFR1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 4219

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2013, 05:28:30 pm »

Power delivery will be WAY different than the FZ1, regardless of how they look on paper.  Been riding my 1st Gen Tuono a lot lately, and its just a completely different animal (990 or 998 twin) than the inline 4 FZ1 (although I miss my old FZ1 too).

Everyone's already said it - have to give it a ride and good luck with the search.

-Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K
vulcanbill
This IS me smiling.

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '13 XT250 only
GPS: Martinsburg, WV
Miles Typed: 2864

My Photo Gallery

newbie prepper

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2013, 06:16:24 pm »

Sure!

But you may be in for a wait.  I'm not pressed for storage space yet. Smile

Countin' on it.  I don't have any money yet.  But when I do, that's where I'll want to be.

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.  Garzeerah!
Hotbrakes

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: KTM SMT, Super Duke R, RC51, F800S, 300XC
GPS: Beaverdam, VA
Miles Typed: 848

My Photo Gallery

Responsibly Irresponsible

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 10:16:54 am »

Being that you are a proficient and skilled rider, you will enjoy the refinements found on KTM's machines.  I love the Super Duke so much I had to get another just for the track.  Almost pulled the trigger on a SMT but that would require selling a beloved SD.  The new Adventure currently tops my list for next bike.

MFi in Woodbridge has a demo SMT if you need one to ride.

Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 33

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 02:24:05 pm »

Being that you are a proficient and skilled rider, you will enjoy the refinements found on KTM's machines.  I love the Super Duke so much I had to get another just for the track.  Almost pulled the trigger on a SMT but that would require selling a beloved SD.  The new Adventure currently tops my list for next bike.

MFi in Woodbridge has a demo SMT if you need one to ride.

Thanks! But it's too late.  I have an SM-T now sitting in my garage.  Bigsmile

The SD was a contender as well but I'm just now getting my license cleaned up.  Crazy

Now the real killer is I already had a trackday scheduled for Shenny on Sunday. I may not be able to resist...  and I already have two excuses worked out 1) I haven't had time to mount a new rear on the FZ1 (been too busy MC shopping).  2) The KTM needs heat cycling and varied RPMS as part of a good break-in. 20 minutes on 40 minutes off sounds about right. Hahaha.

Dan K

Reputation 110

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 03:26:15 pm »

Mount the tire on the FZ1.  I don't see how you could feel comfortable whipping your new bike around the track at 9/10ths...although maybe you could.  Congrats either way.

Hotbrakes

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: KTM SMT, Super Duke R, RC51, F800S, 300XC
GPS: Beaverdam, VA
Miles Typed: 848

My Photo Gallery

Responsibly Irresponsible

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 03:37:50 pm »

I don't see how you could feel comfortable whipping your new bike around the track at 9/10ths...although maybe you could.

Isn't this why we ride high performance machines?  I don't think he bought it to sit in traffic or drone along the highway at 55mph...

I already had a trackday scheduled for Shenny on Sunday. I may not be able to resist...  and I already have two excuses worked out 1) I haven't had time to mount a new rear on the FZ1 (been too busy MC shopping).  2) The KTM needs heat cycling and varied RPMS as part of a good break-in. 20 minutes on 40 minutes off sounds about right. Hahaha.

Dang, I was close to doing Shenny on Saturday, if I wasn't working Sunday...

Congrats on the new ride.  Be sure to post pictures in the picture thread!  (Action shots from this weekend would be nice)

Dan K

Reputation 110

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 04:12:51 pm »

Isn't this why we ride high performance machines?  I don't think he bought it to sit in traffic or drone along the highway at 55mph...

Dang, I was close to doing Shenny on Saturday, if I wasn't working Sunday...

Congrats on the new ride.  Be sure to post pictures in the picture thread!  (Action shots from this weekend would be nice)

Not even broken in and going all out with it at the track? I'd be to worried about messing up my new bike. After I've had it for a while, sure. I've taken all my bikes to the track (except my 'recently  acquired 03 Tuono, which I bought specifically to do so this summer). I get it. Just, I wouldn't take my brand new baby to the track right out of the gates...

- Dan

bucktownbilly

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '15 - ? 2008 FJR; '15-? 2015 FJ 09; '14-? 2013FZ8; '09-'15 2009 FZ6 (black); '11-'14 2002 CB 919;'04-'10 2004 FZ6 (silver); '98-'03 BMW F650; '95-'97 Suzuki 650DR
Miles Typed: 556

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 04:40:23 pm »

Keep us posted on how you like the SM-T.  Looking at it but just did a slimey crud rud run this weekend on a rented Tiger 800 and was pretty impressed.

Side note, test rode Ducati's new hyperstrada and hated it.
Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 33

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2013, 05:51:31 pm »

Mount the tire on the FZ1.  I don't see how you could feel comfortable whipping your new bike around the track at 9/10ths...although maybe you could.  Congrats either way.

Not saying bad things can't happen, they certainly can and do on both the track and the street.  However I've done quite a few trackdays so there is no intimidation factor. Just a nice place to go have some fun and get to know the bike in a controlled environment.   My main concern is to make sure I have time to crank out a 100 miles or so on the bike before hand to let any hot spots wear in a bit.  

I'm at the point in performance riding that I'm pretty familiar with my personal limits. Nothing to prove and I'm dang sure a Factory ride with MotoGP isn't in the cards, LOL. So for me a trackday is more about "Let's see how far I can push this particular bike and remain comfortable." rather than "Let's see if I can win trackday!" Smile

Dan K

Reputation 110

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2013, 05:56:02 pm »

Not saying bad things can't happen, they certainly can and do on both the track and the street.  However I've done quite a few trackdays so there is no intimidation factor. Just a nice place to go have some fun and get to know the bike in a controlled environment.   My main concern is to make sure I have time to crank out a 100 miles or so on the bike before hand to let any hot spots wear in a bit.  

I'm at the point in performance riding that I'm pretty familiar with my personal limits. Nothing to prove and I'm dang sure a Factory ride with MotoGP isn't in the cards, LOL. So for me a trackday is more about "Let's see how far I can push this particular bike and remain comfortable." rather than "Let's see if I can win trackday!" Smile

Got it. When I used to take my mint Daytona 675 to the track, it kept me from going totally balls out because I didn't want to hurt it in any way...still ended up riding into the grass a couple times   Bigok   Also, riding a bike for the first time on a track, even a familiar one, isn't a time to go crazy, so I hear you.  I just know I'm most comfortable at the track on a bike that I don't really care if I happen to drop it, slide it, low side it, etc.

Regardless, enjoy the bike.  Those SM-T's have always intrigued me.

expatbrit

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2013, 10:56:48 am »

I wanted to break the RC8 in on the track -- sadly, it didn't happen.

I will admit that I was intimidated by taking the Mutley out there; our local track is small and tight and the combination of the cost of the bike, the conditions, and the weight in a tighter config made me really awkward on it.

The KTM 950SM? Oh hell yeah. Smile I'm decidedly a slow trackday rider, though
Tyrroneous
Slow Attack Cow

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '07 Triumph Daytona 675, 2000 SV650N, '03 XR400R, '09 KLX250S
GPS: Bham, AL
Miles Typed: 2352

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2013, 02:34:33 pm »

I'm really digging the SM-T and it would probably be a very strong contender for my next bike but a seat height of over 33"?!!  Dadgum!!  

Side note:  Bought a new Buell 1125R on a Tuesday.  Had it a Barber Motorsports Park that Saturday.  I don't think there's a better, safer way to familiarize oneself with a new ride.

Ride On...
Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 33

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2013, 06:23:49 pm »

I'm really digging the SM-T and it would probably be a very strong contender for my next bike but a seat height of over 33"?!!  Dadgum!!  

Side note:  Bought a new Buell 1125R on a Tuesday.  Had it a Barber Motorsports Park that Saturday.  I don't think there's a better, safer way to familiarize oneself with a new ride.

Somehow I didn't manage to find the time to spoon a new rear tire on the FZ1 today. (Maybe because I was too busy having fun on local backroads with the KTM...)  Anyway, I think it's gonna be an all day affair with the KTM at the track on Sunday.  

To change the oil or not change the oil before Sunday is the main question in my mind at the moment. I've got about 200 miles on the bike now.

I've been told KTM does not use break-in oil and what's in it doesn't seem like break-in oil. KTM recommends full synthetic. But there is always talk about not going to synthetic too soon in the break-in process. I sure wouldn't want to run a trackday on break-in oil (and as I mentioned I don't think it's break-in oil in it. What I don't know is if it's synthetic in it now or dino oil.

DNA
At least it don't have VTEC

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '07 GSA , One empty stall in garage
GPS: Recalculating...
Miles Typed: 5271

My Photo Gallery

Old and full of Advil

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2013, 06:57:27 pm »

Change the oil and put on some sliders to insure that you will never need them!

Sounds like you are having some serious FUN these days- good for you.   Bigok

I might as well learn to play tennis for all I'm riding...   IBA # 24,128 and still invinciblehttp://s71.photobucket.com/user/dnaseller/media/VisitedStatesMap_zpsac48168b.jpg.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal