Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: ...to Haxtun [mostly photographs]  (Read 4956 times)

Daniel Kalal
It's pronounced Goot-see

Reputation 114

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Guzzi Daytona, Guzzi Stelvio
GPS: Kansas
Miles Typed: 1001

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2013, 07:08:11 pm »

Haxtun is in Phillips County in northeast Colorado. It isn't the county seat, nor does it seem to (yet) have any residents who have taken the time to record its history on the Internet. What it is, though, is the northern end of a stretch of highway CO-59 that I've not travelled.  So, this would be a trip to Haxtun, and then south along a new bit of road. This would also be the break-in ride for a new Stelvio. This bike is identical to what I've been using in Europe for the past several years, so I'm already quite comfortable with it.

I'd be zigzagging west and north, generally heading towards the western Nebraska line. One thing about navigation in Kansas, it doesn't really much matter if you go west then north, or the other way around. When the roads are on the section lines, it's all the same distance.

Stafford, Kansas was founded in 1878 and is on the AT&SF railroad.

Great Bend, Kansas was founded in 1871 on the AT&SF not very far from Fort Zarah on the Santa Fe Trail. As you might expect by the name, the Arkansas River has a “great bend” near here, and was a break-away point for  wagons along the Santa Fe trail.

Natoma, Kansas started out in 1888 (railroad), but doesn't seem to have incorporated itself until 1905. As is almost always the case for towns created for the railroads, Main Street runs perpendicular to the tracks.  The nearest two-lane highway (KS-18) avoids the town completely. You can almost always find the old (~1920s) highway down by the tracks.

Alma, Nebraska was settled in 1872 on the Burlington and Missouri railroad. There's now a nearby reservoir, so the weekend campers help keep the town going.

Stamford, Nebraska was incorporated in 1907. It's the sort of town where somebody might drive his tractor to the local cafe for breakfast.

Beaver City, Nebraska was founded in 1872 along Beaver Creek. The inventor of Kool-Aid (Edwin Perkins) lived nearby, and he seems to be the most distinguished (nearby) resident (so far). You'll see more towns in Nebraska built around the 'town square' concept than you do in Kansas. Generally, if a town is built on the railroad, it'll be a straightforward grid system. Otherwise, there's a good chance that the town will be laid out with a center square (where the courthouse is hoped to be built).

Palisade, Nebraska was founded in 1879 on the Frenchman River. The location of the town shuffled a bit in order to be adjacent to the Burlington railroad, when it came through. During the 1940s, a POW camp was built for German prisoners (who were used as farm workers).

Don't expect the Rocky Mountains to appear when you cross into Colorado from Nebraska.

The new Stelvio ran perfectly. That tank gives me a range of over 300 miles. Nice.

Haxtun, Colorado. I have arrived.

Heading south along CO-59. This is a new road for me, although it pretty much looks the same as all the others within a 100 mile radius.

Miles and miles and miles of straight road and no traffic (and no cell phone reception, either).

Building a house on this land must have made sense at one time. You can only assume that somebody thought it would rain more than it does.

Kit Carson, Colorado.

These tracks are not much used.

Manter, Kansas was established along the AT&SF railroad. Needless to say, these small towns typically do not have paved streets.

Ulysses, Kansas was founded in 1885. In 1909, under the financial weight of bonds they could not pay, the whole town moved two miles away and started fresh. Bond holders were left holding the bag (but, probably deserved what they got).

I'm on the Ensign-Ford road. For those in-the-know, this is the shortcut to avoid the nuisance of passing through Dodge City if you want to connect US-400 with US-56.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 07:41:53 pm by Daniel Kalal » Logged
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

JimWilliamson

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
GPS: Fort Collins, CO
Miles Typed: 2486

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 01:11:23 am »

Tractor parked with cars on main street - icing on the cake...

http://www.dankalal.net/2013trip11/photo031.JPG
Mac
Yeehaw, Texas!!

Reputation 40

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: none
GPS: Dallas, Tx.
Miles Typed: 7823

My Photo Gallery

I just got out of a prison

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 03:36:34 am »

I had some friends working in Liberal, Ks and we took a trip to Dodge City. It made me appreciate the saying, getting the hell out of Dodge.   Lol

Of course, it was late fall, so tourist season was over.  Lol

Derp derp derp.
Advertisement

stew71

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: 2007 Triumph Tiger
GPS: Sacramento, CA
Miles Typed: 1514

My Photo Gallery

Words simply cannot express how much I don't care.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 05:47:46 pm »

And not a twisty in sight.  Crazy

But nice pics anyways.  Thumbsup

A hamster wheel looks like a career ladder from the inside.
The police never think it's as funny as you do.
Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6110

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 02:28:23 pm »

And not a twisty in sight.  Crazy

But nice pics anyways.  Thumbsup

There's more to riding than strafing twisties.

As usual Daniel, awesome pics, thanks for sharing with us!

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
DNA
At least it don't have VTEC

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '07 GSA , One empty stall in garage
GPS: Recalculating...
Miles Typed: 5271

My Photo Gallery

Old and full of Advil

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 04:00:27 pm »

Beautiful.

Somewhere outside Kit Carson you passed my ancestors homestead that got blown out in the dust bowl days.

AS I heard it as a child, FDR ordered the slaughter of the family (few) livestock to keep prices up.

My grandpa died still hating that man 60 years later.

I might as well learn to play tennis for all I'm riding...   IBA # 24,128 and still invinciblehttp://s71.photobucket.com/user/dnaseller/media/VisitedStatesMap_zpsac48168b.jpg.html
1KPerDay
Ride to eat, eat to ride

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: Honda GL1800A, Harley XR1200, BMW R90/6
Miles Typed: 10830

My Photo Gallery

Arbiter of good taste

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 04:16:17 pm »

I always enjoy your reports and pics. Thanks!  Cool Thumbsup

Time is cruel. And so are bacon cheeseburgers.
blakebird
Member since April '02

Reputation 24

GPS: Parker, CO
Miles Typed: 566

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 12:39:19 am »

very nice job, as usual.

cool that you added a new Stelvio to the lineup, I recently sold mine but it was a top three bike for sure.

great road tripper

IBA #11735  -  '16 Africa Twin  -  '12 Honda ST1300
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg39/blakebird/past%20bikes/?start=all
Leanintree
Waiting for #3...

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 ZRX1200R, '02 Bandit600
GPS: Loveland, right on the edge of Kalirado
Miles Typed: 3417

My Photo Gallery

Bah. This year sucks.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 10:15:28 am »

My wifes family is from Holyoak (one town west... like  7 miles), and I've blinked through Haxtun many times over the years. Is the orange and blue Broncos house still there?

I'm reminded of the first time the wife got  me out that way... we'd been on the road for 5 hours through the mountains, and I was clipping along at 90 out on the plains when she (out of the blue) says "Watch out for the curve!" I freak out and say "Where?!" (I'm moving at a high rate of speed after all). She replies, "Here in about 60 miles. People keep missing it all the time and driving off the road." I was disgusted until the sign proclaiming 'curve ahead' came up about an hour later, and I was surprised it was there.

I also had trouble with the concept that her folks house was on top of 'that hill'. It was 6ft higher than the surrounding land. Sheesh.

Glad you survived the trip to rural BFC. Car tire soon?
LT

'02 ZRX1200R  - Commutasaurus Rex, '02 Bandit600 - Appropriate name STILL pending

---Guns and bikes, peanut butter and jelly. See the comparison? One's just stickier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal