Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Thinking of drinking the Kool-Aid - a 2006 K1200S  (Read 11848 times)

redsled

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '07 Sprint ABS
GPS: Locust Grove, GA, USA
Miles Typed: 201

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2013, 11:49:06 pm »

My (not so) local dealer has a 2006 K1200S in that beautiful blue/white paint scheme.  8200 miles and according to a friend in Seattle that works at Ride West BMW, it was a press/fleet bike until 2008 when it was sold at a dealer in Daytona, FL.  I *really* like the wedge K1200GT's but those are out of my price range right now.

It appears to be very clean and taken care of.  This bike is speaking to me.  What gives me pause on potentially buying this is the whole final drive thing and increased maintenance.  And while I'd like to be in the position of being free enough to put 20-25k miles a year, I don't anymore.  I will put about 10k or so on whatever I have every year.

Also, I have a Speed Triple that I'll be getting rid of in favor of whatever I buy.  I want a sportbike with luggage which this has.  I just don't know how comfortable it would be on my trip to Colorado in July.

Am I worrying about nothing with the final drive thing?  The maintenance thing has me more gunshy than the final drive.  I'm used to years of Honda and since 2004, Triumphs that are bulletproof.

Ok Beemer guys.  Hammer away.  I want to drink the Kool-aid, but might need to be talked into it!

{Edit} I almost forgot, the bags that come with the bike are those weird looking ones with the black stripes on them. Can you change those out for the solid color ones like the K1200GTs?

'07 Sprint ABS
'57 Cushman Eagle - in restoration
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

miles

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13032

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 11:53:18 pm »

Keep the weird looking bags.  Those are the "Sport" bags and they are excellent.  I've been trying to figure out a way to mount a set on my S1000RR.

As to the maintenance, my K12R wasn't any higher maintenance than any other bike I've owned.  It was pretty much bulletproof.

Three points where two lines meet
Stripes
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: Triumph
GPS: On the water
Miles Typed: 4508

My Photo Gallery

I'm on a boat!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 03:49:11 am »

Great choice!  Thumbsup  I wouldn't worry too much aboot the maintenance,  but that's just me. The bags are tiny, but you'll learn to adapt. I feel that they are more comfortable than the Sprint ST/GT's. Good luck!

"We all should aspire once in life to date a psychotic nymphomaniac, no matter what the aftermath."
Advertisement

redsled

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 07:57:29 am »

So I guess it's mainly the R bikes that have the final drive issues?  

There's a couple more in the SE that look viable through private sales, I'd just have to sell my Triple first.

Thanks for the responses guys!

'07 Sprint ABS
miles

Reputation 85

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 10:30:20 am »

So I guess it's mainly the R bikes that have the final drive issues?  

There's a couple more in the SE that look viable through private sales, I'd just have to sell my Triple first.

Thanks for the responses guys!

Mostly it was GSA, RT and LT models that usually carried heavy loads.  Add to that the fact that the problems were suffered by less than 1%* of the bikes on the road, and it just isn't as big a concern as people seem to believe.

*Nobody knows the actual numbers.  There was an attempt to get an online registry going, but I'm not sure how well that's worked.  Also, it's a bummer for those who've had the problem and they tend to make a whole lot of noise about it, but those who never had any issues aren't the squeaky wheels, so therefore make no noise.
In my circle of friends there has been a K1200R, a K1200S, an R1200R and an R1200GS.  Now, recently, a K1300S was added.  Cumulatively we've put over 200,000 miles on this group of bikes and nobody's had any hint of FD failure issues.

james_g

Reputation 21

Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia Tuono
GPS: San Diego, Ca
Miles Typed: 476

My Photo Gallery

My bike is more fun than yours!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 10:53:29 am »

In my circle of friends there has been a K1200R, a K1200S, an R1200R and an R1200GS.  Now, recently, a K1300S was added.  Cumulatively we've put over 200,000 miles on this group of bikes and nobody's had any hint of FD failure issues.

*sniff* *sniff* you forgot my R12S.... Sad

bastard....

james

...a Japanese manufacturer might take the motor, castrate it to about 110 hp and stick it in a cheaper, heavier chassis with low-spec suspension and brakes and slice an ĎRí or two off the name. Thatís not how Aprilia roll
Bigpoodle

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2010 BMW K1300S
GPS: Happy Valley PA
Miles Typed: 177

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 07:01:05 pm »

The bags are tiny

The sport bags aren't as tiny as they look; they'll expand to double or more of the capacity in the most-closed position (enough for a full-faced helmet and then some on each side). They come with fitted drybags which are invaluable in calculating how much you can jam into the cases without a lot of trial and error packing.
miles

Reputation 85

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 07:13:02 pm »

*sniff* *sniff* you forgot my R12S.... Sad

bastard....

james

No, I didn't.  I misidentified it as an R12R, which none of us had.  

miles

Reputation 85

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 07:14:55 pm »

The bags are tiny, but you'll learn to adapt.

You can fit a full-face helmet in them in their smallest configuration, so they can't be all that tiny.  Also, the expand to carry a whole lot more if you wish.

Stripes

Reputation 110

My Photo Gallery

I'm on a boat!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 07:23:28 pm »

You can fit a full-face helmet in them in their smallest configuration, so they can't be all that tiny.  Also, the expand to carry a whole lot more if you wish.

The sport bags aren't as tiny as they look; they'll expand to double or more of the capacity in the most-closed position (enough for a full-faced helmet and then some on each side). They come with fitted drybags which are invaluable in calculating how much you can jam into the cases without a lot of trial and error packing.

If you put a full face helmet in them is there room for anything else? Are full face helmets big? All of the K1200/1300S's that I've seen w/ factory bags were half of the size of the bags on my K1600GT & smaller than those on my 1050 Sprint ST & friends of mine that ride it 2 up also need a top box or backpack to bring enough "stuff" even w/ the bags in the extended position. So to me the bags are tiny. But like I said, you can learn to adapt. That was my opinion. Cheers

"We all should aspire once in life to date a psychotic nymphomaniac, no matter what the aftermath."
Stripes

Reputation 110

My Photo Gallery

I'm on a boat!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 07:26:16 pm »

I always thought that scooters were small too, but you can put a full face helmet under the seat, so I guess that makes scooters big!  Thumbsdown

miles

Reputation 85

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 07:29:48 pm »

I always thought that scooters were small too, but you can put a full face helmet under the seat, so I guess that makes scooters big!  Thumbsdown

Some of them are huge.  Have you ever seen the Goldwing from Honda?  That thing is way bigger than most motorcycles.

Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Bloomington, IL
Miles Typed: 1765

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 07:39:00 pm »

I had an 06 for five years and 49,850 miles.  Mine had a few small problems but was largely trouble free. There are some things to be concerned about, but I wouldn't worry about the final drive.  There were some issues with cam chain tensioners, there are updated versions available, and cam chain jump guards were developed.  Some bikes had clutch and gearbox problems (second gear dogs) and fuel strips can quit and leave you without a fuel gauge.  The 06 still has the servo brakes so make sure the system has been maintained with fluid changes.  There have been some fuel leaks due to cracks developing where the fuel line attaches to the plastic base of the fuel pump under the tank.  That's actually been a problem on a few different models.  Some other odds and ends on occasion, but nothing I would consider endemic to the bike.

Do some reading over at http://www.i-bmw.com/ to learn more.

Post up some pics if you get her bought.

Region 4 Meet 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 | CSTN 07 | ST.N National 08, 10, 12 | Region 4 Track Day 09
Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 07:50:28 pm »

Bags are smaller than on most bikes but the mounting system is slick and invisible when the bags are off.  Collapsed, each bag holds 17 liters, they expand to 25 liters. They work fine for me but I always travel solo.

Region 4 Meet 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 | CSTN 07 | ST.N National 08, 10, 12 | Region 4 Track Day 09
Bigpoodle

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2010 BMW K1300S
GPS: Happy Valley PA
Miles Typed: 177

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 10:09:23 pm »

If you put a full face helmet in them is there room for anything else? Are full face helmets big? All of the K1200/1300S's that I've seen w/ factory bags were half of the size of the bags on my K1600GT & smaller than those on my 1050 Sprint ST & friends of mine that ride it 2 up also need a top box or backpack to bring enough "stuff" even w/ the bags in the extended position. So to me the bags are tiny. But like I said, you can learn to adapt. That was my opinion. Cheers

Other than those giant expedition panniers you can put on a GS-type "ride around the world" bike, I have never seen factory bags that would hold a full-face helmet plus much else, unless you packed things carefully in and around the helmet. Same is true for the BMW sport bags. If I am motelling rather than camping, and riding solo, I can fit everything I need for a week on the road in mine. And if you've discovered those amazing innovations called "laundromats," that's enough to ride a lot longer.

My full-face helmets are Nolan flip-ups, which are somewhat bulkier than my old Shoei full-faces. They fit with ease.

For camping or 2-up touring I also have a Shad 50-liter topbox (half the price of the BMW-branded topcases, many of which are also manufactured by Shad), which you too can add to any K-bike and which effectively erases any handicap the sport bags might inflict.

Getting militant about eliminating over-packing also helps.
redsled

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 11:19:23 pm »

Post up some pics if you get her bought.

Oh, I most definitely will if that happens.  There are a couple others in the Southeast, one being already fitted with Helibars (which would be my first mod if I buy one).  But since Stripes won't get off his duff and buy my Speed Triple, I might be forced to do the dealer trade-in thing.

We'll see.  There's a K1200GT at a dealer in SC also.  I'm all over the map lately.

Mucho thanks for all the help!

'07 Sprint ABS
Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2013, 11:33:00 pm »

.......one being already fitted with Helibars (which would be my first mod if I buy one)......
Mucho thanks for all the help!

If you end up needing Heli-bars give me a shout.  I purchased my K1300S used with them installed but I went back to stock after I brought it home.  They'll fit the 1200S and they're just sitting here on a shelf, maybe we can work out a deal.

Good luck.

Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6110

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2013, 11:45:35 pm »

Bottom line: Don't let FD issues sway you if that's the bike you really want. The number of failures is very small like miles said, and typically affects the larger bikes. Yes, I know a number of folks who have had FD failures on beamers, so it does happen. The most recent I heard of was a k1600gt with less than 15k on it. I have never heard of it happening on the k12/13s though.

Also, if you think the bags won't be big enough, can add a Givi trunk to it  Shrug

So yeah - if the bike moves you, I say get it  Thumbsup

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
Stripes

Reputation 110

My Photo Gallery

I'm on a boat!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2013, 11:52:49 pm »

Hey redsled...  Twofinger   Lol

redsled

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 12:10:10 am »

Hey redsled...  Twofinger   Lol

I get that response even though I'm wearing my Red Wings hat as I write this?   Headscratch

Tough crowd I tell ya....

'07 Sprint ABS
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal