Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Thinking of drinking the Kool-Aid - a 2006 K1200S  (Read 16322 times)

redsled

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: '07 Sprint ABS
GPS: Locust Grove, GA, USA
Miles Typed: 201

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 12:15:58 am »

If you end up needing Heli-bars give me a shout.  I purchased my K1300S used with them installed but I went back to stock after I brought it home.  They'll fit the 1200S and they're just sitting here on a shelf, maybe we can work out a deal.

Good luck.

Will do.   Thumbsup

'07 Sprint ABS
'57 Cushman Eagle - in restoration
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Royal Tiger

Reputation -205

Motorcycles: See signature
GPS: Lehigh Valley, PA
Miles Typed: 614

My Photo Gallery

Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 10:23:25 am »

I posted this in another thread, but I was talking to a tech while looking at the new water cooled heads 2013 R1200GS and the issue of FD failures came up.  His shop is convinced it's over shimed bearings.  They got a hold of a GS that went through two final drives set to factory specs.  They put one in and didn't shim it as tight. It had over 65k on it I believe with zero issues so far.

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80
Volfy

Reputation 19

Motorcycles: '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 Trophy SE, '10 VFR1200
Miles Typed: 1081

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 09:10:38 am »

My (not so) local dealer has a 2006 K1200S in that beautiful blue/white paint scheme.  8200 miles and according to a friend in Seattle that works at Ride West BMW, it was a press/fleet bike until 2008 when it was sold at a dealer in Daytona, FL.  I *really* like the wedge K1200GT's but those are out of my price range right now.

It appears to be very clean and taken care of.  This bike is speaking to me.  What gives me pause on potentially buying this is the whole final drive thing and increased maintenance.  And while I'd like to be in the position of being free enough to put 20-25k miles a year, I don't anymore.  I will put about 10k or so on whatever I have every year.

Also, I have a Speed Triple that I'll be getting rid of in favor of whatever I buy.  I want a sportbike with luggage which this has.  I just don't know how comfortable it would be on my trip to Colorado in July.

Am I worrying about nothing with the final drive thing?  The maintenance thing has me more gunshy than the final drive.  I'm used to years of Honda and since 2004, Triumphs that are bulletproof.

Ok Beemer guys.  Hammer away.  I want to drink the Kool-aid, but might need to be talked into it!

{Edit} I almost forgot, the bags that come with the bike are those weird looking ones with the black stripes on them. Can you change those out for the solid color ones like the K1200GTs?

Not sure about press bikes.  Moto journalists are not the kindest to the bikes they test ride.
Advertisement

redsled

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: '07 Sprint ABS
GPS: Locust Grove, GA, USA
Miles Typed: 201

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 09:44:00 am »

Very true. As it stands today, it doesn't look like I'm going to get it. The bike rode well (kinda slow, but I digress <- kidding), but the clutch has a much stiffer pull than me ever-weakening wrist can probably take on a big ride. So I don't think it's going to come home with me. If I were going back to a two bike garage, I'd definitely buy it and get a cheap ST11/13 for touring duty.

So back to the drawing board it seems.

Chris Pope
Locust Grove, GA
10 Speed Triple SE - for sale
57 Cushman Eagle

'07 Sprint ABS
'57 Cushman Eagle - in restoration
miles

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13074

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 02:18:09 pm »

They do have very stiff clutches, that's for sure.

Three points where two lines meet
Volfy

Reputation 19

Motorcycles: '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 Trophy SE, '10 VFR1200
Miles Typed: 1081

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 04:10:18 pm »

Very true. As it stands today, it doesn't look like I'm going to get it. The bike rode well (kinda slow, but I digress <- kidding), but the clutch has a much stiffer pull than me ever-weakening wrist can probably take on a big ride. So I don't think it's going to come home with me. If I were going back to a two bike garage, I'd definitely buy it and get a cheap ST11/13 for touring duty.

So back to the drawing board it seems.

I test rode both an '05 K1200S and a demo '12 K1300S, and I don't remember the clutch being stiffer than most other bikes in this engine size range.  Sometimes bleeding the hydraulic clutch or lubing the cable and/or lever could lighten it up.

Hey, it's always fun to look around and try out candidate bikes.  When I knew I got too old to keep riding litre sportbikes, I started looking for more of a "gentleman's sportbike" that can do double as a sport tourer.   I looked at a whole bunch of different bikes from the K12/13S to the more traditional Sport Tourers.  I bought and rode a Sprint ST 1050 first.  Loved the powertrain but didn't care for the spartan packaging.  Traded that in for a C14.  Loved the touring amenities and comfort, but didn't care for the 700 lbs weight and too-upright ergos.  Meanwhile, I also dabbled in the lightweight class, first an FZ1, then now an SV1000S.  I finally traded in the C14 for a VFR1200, which finally hit the sweet spot between sport and touring for me.  I almost pulled the trigger on an '09 K1300S in the gorgeous burnt orange color, but in the end, I just felt the VFR1200 is a bit more refined and the V4 tickles me better than I4's.
Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2022 Ducati Multistrada V4S
GPS: Bloomington, IL
Miles Typed: 1765

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 09:56:06 pm »

They do have very stiff clutches, that's for sure.

They do.  On both my 1200 and now the 1300 I changed out the levers ( Wunderlich Vario and Pazzo) to ones with more of a dogleg so the lever was closer to the bar.  It helps with the heavy pull when you have a shorter reach.

Region 4 Meet 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 | CSTN 07 | ST.N National 08, 10, 12 | Region 4 Track Day 09
Grizz

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 72 hodaka ace100B, XR 100 and 600, KTM400, 05 Bandit 1200s
GPS: McDonough Ga.
Miles Typed: 79

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2013, 02:43:05 pm »

I saw that bike on their web site and rode up to check it out also, great looking bike. Got home and started researching and the cam chain issues scared me off. Always wanted a BMW, still do but I just can't talk myself into it. Would love to hear some high mile guys speak up. Till then I will keep racking up miles on the Blackbird.
Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2022 Ducati Multistrada V4S
GPS: Bloomington, IL
Miles Typed: 1765

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2013, 04:07:58 pm »

I saw that bike on their web site and rode up to check it out also, great looking bike. Got home and started researching and the cam chain issues scared me off. Always wanted a BMW, still do but I just can't talk myself into it. Would love to hear some high mile guys speak up. Till then I will keep racking up miles on the Blackbird.

I put 49,850 miles on my 06 before I traded it.  I put on the cam chain jump guard and the new cam chain tensioner.  Never had a problem but I certainly understand your concern. I also realize that's not huge mileage, but its what I have experience with.

Region 4 Meet 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 | CSTN 07 | ST.N National 08, 10, 12 | Region 4 Track Day 09
miles

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13074

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2013, 04:36:46 pm »

The 35,000 miles I put on my K1200R involved no cam chain issues at all.  No new tensioner, nothing.

Three points where two lines meet
Major 662

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: BMW K1300S
GPS: Boise, ID
Miles Typed: 831

My Photo Gallery

...previously Bender...

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2013, 08:19:17 pm »

A few random thoughts from a 2010 K13S owner:

I wouldn't avoid a BMW due to FD issues any more than I'd avoid a Honda due to rectifiers or a Ducati due to flaking rocker arms and so on. Pretty soon you're limited to a 2005 Concours.  All due respect to Concours owners - we just like to have choices.

IMHO the side bags are small but well engineered.  I never extend 'em out for touring.  You lose some space inside because the side wall is curved to allow it to fit in close against the bike's tail.  Even extended out, I can't fit my XL Shoei Qwest inside.  I recommend finding a good tail pack and you're good to go.  I mean the hobbits hiked all the way to Mordor with way less, right?  As MisterSmooth says, you really just need a cell phone and a credit card.

I'm surprised to hear about the clutch pull -- maybe they changed it from the K12S to the K13S?  Then again, my previous bike was a Duc ST3 with a dry clutch, so anything compares well to that. Plus I think typing on a keyboard all day gives me huge forearm muscles.  Smile

There are plenty of bikes out there that are more comfortable on the long haul or faster through the hairpins, but the K12/13S bikes strike the right balance for me. Plus every now and then you gotta unleash the beast within.

Onward
throttlemeister
formally afterburn

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: R1100S, K1200S
GPS: Netherlands
Miles Typed: 320

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2013, 08:35:17 am »

I'm surprised to hear about the clutch pull -- maybe they changed it from the K12S to the K13S?  Then again, my previous bike was a Duc ST3 with a dry clutch, so anything compares well to that. Plus I think typing on a keyboard all day gives me huge forearm muscles.  Smile

They did actually. The K13S has a different size slave cylinder on the clutch to make for a lighter pull. The slave can be retrofitted to a K12 btw.

2003 BMW R1100S 'Bumble Bee' | Heavily modified...
2007 BMW K1200S 'ICBM' |[/COLOR
aerografixs

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: BMW k 1200 S
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2020, 07:57:40 pm »

can anyone tell me with your personal experiences if the Helibars make a difference in touring comfort on the  K 1200 S
tonysrep

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 20

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2020, 01:01:38 am »

can anyone tell me with your personal experiences if the Helibars make a difference in touring comfort on the  K 1200 S
I have them since the bike was new and it is a huge difference from stock in comfort
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal