Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Trophy Recall  (Read 9309 times)

GRN
That's not vibration, it's SOUL...

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: '10 KLX250S, '14 R12RT, and whatever I happen to ride home :)
GPS: Charlotte, NC
Miles Typed: 1426

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 02:12:12 am »

Had Triumph made it weigh the same as the RT, I would have one parked in my garage right now.

Having owned the C14 for a year, I loved everything about it except the tall seat and the 700lbs curb weight.  I just can't see getting back on another 700+ lbs touring rig, however much I like Triumph triples.

I hear ya... weight and limited tire options is what drove me to bid farewell to my ST13. I hoped the Trophy would be exactly that - a triple powered RT, as I'm quite fond of the handling of the RT, yet am one of those who never connected with the mill... and I loves me some triple. With the local dealer options being what they are, the RT is on the short list of bikes to demo with my bride when she decides to start riding again. With pans it weighs the same as my GSX1250 does without, and it's more nimble... I'll be glad to put up with that for my bride's comfort!  Wink

Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at itů
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Stripes
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: Triumph
GPS: On the water
Miles Typed: 4508

My Photo Gallery

I'm on a boat!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 11:23:11 am »

I sat on an R1200RT and K1600GTL about 45 minutes before I bought my Trophy...

...So before you call a fantastic bike "junk" why don't you just remind yourself that both can be good at the same time, and it's ok.

In response to your 1st response, sitting on one & riding/owning are completely different. I thought the Trophy was comfortable too. But when I rode it, it had no where near the performance as the GT.

In response to your 2nd response, I said that for me compared to what I'm used too, it's lousy & I would not tradevmy GT in on a Trophy like I thought I would have.

The Trophy is not comparable to the K1600GT. It is however comparableto the R1200RT. The K1600GT & the K1600GTL are 2 completely different animals.

The K1600GT may weigh 700lbs, but it is also 160HP & has 130lbs of tourque. Not comparable to the Trophy.

I am a Triumph guy. I don't even like BMW's. The Trophy was not available when I wanted to upgrade from my 1050 Sprint ST. The K1600GT/L was. Money is no object. I hated the GTL. As soon as the Trophy was released I put money down on one & had the dealer order me one. When I saw it in person, I hated it. When I rode it, I disliked it even more after spending a year on the GT. The GT is a lot more expensive than a Trophy. The GT also has 3 times the options, electronics & gadgetry that the Tropy has, again making them non comparable. If I had owned a Trophy 1st, I would preach to everyone that it is the best Tour-Sport out there. I'm sure for everybody that owns one it is a fantastic machine. I'm sure that if you want one you'll be happy with it if you ever get one. I love Triumph. I wish they would come out w/ something that I could compare to the GT. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Cheers

"We all should aspire once in life to date a psychotic nymphomaniac, no matter what the aftermath."
Volfy

Reputation 19

Motorcycles: '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 Trophy SE, '10 VFR1200
Miles Typed: 1081

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 12:30:35 am »

I really do think Triumph spec'ed the Trophy exactly where the meat of the ST markets is, at least for most of North America.  Fact that it isn't what I want isn't their fault.  The reality is that there are more riders wanting the Trophy than guys like me, who want a lightweight sporty ST.

Hopefully, Triumph will see fit to revive the Sprint the way it should have been - like the 500 lbs Ninja 1000 - a sportbike with some very basic touring amenities, like hardbags and small adjustable screen.  In the meantime, I'm pretty happy with kitting up the Speed Triple as a lightweight and short-range sport tourer.
Advertisement

GRN
That's not vibration, it's SOUL...

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: '10 KLX250S, '14 R12RT, and whatever I happen to ride home :)
GPS: Charlotte, NC
Miles Typed: 1426

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 10:44:33 am »

Thumbsup  please do! Maybe my description of "junk" is a little harsh, but I personally was really disappointed w/ the Trophy so I think that it left a bad taste in my mouth. I hope that it works out for you! Good luck. Cheers

Ditto... had high hopes, but it felt to GL18 like for me. For those who are comparing the Trophy ergos to the GT are off the mark IMO, I found it closer to the GTL. Not bad, just not for me.

Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at itů
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal