Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: ESTN 2013 Announment - Location Confirmed - September 20-22 - Hancock, NY  (Read 31068 times)

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2013, 10:26:15 am »

:popcorn:

Looking forward to the ride reports and other updates.  I hate that I'll be missing this one.  
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

sodapop6620

Reputation 35

Motorcycles: ZREX
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 1666

My Photo Gallery

Screw Christmas

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2013, 10:31:48 am »

Is anyone else gonna camp??

If I go I will be camping.  Has there been any word on cost and is there a bath house available?

Wildcard Tag http://tinyurl.com/69dfzaa   Half my lies aren't true.

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on. Dean Martin
Sarchi
warm and fuzzy

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: a fuzzy one
GPS: Toronto
Miles Typed: 1085

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2013, 02:10:27 pm »

Bummer indeed, J-F. Is there a tradition when you don't make a meet as to who should wear the red bandana? I can't think of many people who can rock that baby the way you do.  Bigsmile
Advertisement

jimmy

Reputation 29

Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
GPS: Hamilton, ON Canada
Miles Typed: 590

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2013, 02:12:15 pm »

^^^  Consider it handled!
maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys. the Goblin is gone.
GPS: McCandless township PA>
Miles Typed: 5189

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2013, 03:23:09 pm »

:popcorn:

Looking forward to the ride reports and other updates.  I hate that I'll be missing this one.  
You will be missed,same for Le gran Corbeau. Well at least it won't be R--ning  Twofinger

I occasionally attend some STN events    Wink
canban

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: M620 Dark
Miles Typed: 846

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2013, 03:28:36 pm »

Hey JF I was planning to stuff your new bags with some  'The Mortal Instruments" City of Bones Swag. Now what do I do?

Fred
tomballos
K1300S Motorsport

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: 2015 K1300S Motorsport
GPS: Hyde Park, NY
Miles Typed: 248

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2013, 05:41:50 pm »

I just called the Capra Inn-Hotel to see if there are any rooms left and caught the guy away from the office.  He suggested I call him back in an hour and a half.  My wife (Michele) and I are in, if there are no more rooms we'll find something local. She doesn't ride with me she will be driving out, no reflection on my riding we're just getting old. She will spend the weekend sightseeing, exploring, antiquing, and/or otherwise shopping.  We are only a few hours away.

On another note I've been riding the Catskills and the areas all around them for more than a dozen years now, heck I worked just outside Hancock for a couple years, so if anyone wants I can put many routes together inside and outside the Cats in a heartbeat.  From sweepers to twisties and a combo of both this area can challenger all of us.

Oops, I just found the route thread and it looks like they are covered.

Edited to add I got someone's cancelled room.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 09:56:06 am by tomballos » Logged
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Wee-Strom Past: '06 VFR800, '06 KLR650
GPS: Eugene, OR
Miles Typed: 4191

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2013, 11:46:44 am »

My wife (Michele) and I are in, if there are no more rooms we'll find something local. She doesn't ride with me she will be driving out, no reflection on my riding we're just getting old. She will spend the weekend sightseeing, exploring, antiquing, and/or otherwise shopping.  We are only a few hours away.

It'll be nice to see you again Tom! (Been a long time!)

On another note I've been riding the Catskills and the areas all around them for more than a dozen years now, heck I worked just outside Hancock for a couple years, so if anyone wants I can put many routes together inside and outside the Cats in a heartbeat.  From sweepers to twisties and a combo of both this area can challenger all of us.

Sure! Garry and I posted a couple routes. Mine is here. Feel free to comment or critique it—I just threw it together based on what looked good on the map (I know pretty much nothing about the Catskills.)

I'm into riding as many scenic backroads as possible—including goat paths if they're paved (beat-up pavement is okay as long as it's not all day long) or even some smooth dirt/gravel roads are fine (again, as long as it's not all day!). For example, in my route there's a big empty space called "Balsam Lake Mountain Forest" on Google Maps...I'd love to ride around in there, but have no idea what the roads are like?

As usual, looking at the maps, it's hard to tell which of those tiny roads winding right through the very heart of the Catskills are paved and which are dirt?

Scott

"I wanted to write a shorter letter, but didn't have time." —Abraham Lincoln
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2013, 11:50:25 am »

By the way everyone—Friday the 20th is Jamie's birthday—so I'm counting on you guys to show her a good time! (No, not THAT kind of good time!   Lol) And she has to be able to ride Saturday morning! (I don't want to have to strap her to me...and don't want puke on the bike, LOL.)

Scott

maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys. the Goblin is gone.
GPS: McCandless township PA>
Miles Typed: 5189

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2013, 03:00:48 pm »

By the way everyone—Friday the 20th is Jamie's birthday—so I'm counting on you guys to show her a good time! (No, not THAT kind of good time!   Lol) And she has to be able to ride Saturday morning! (I don't want to have to strap her to me...and don't want puke on the bike, LOL.)

Scott
Lol  Thumbsup

I occasionally attend some STN events    Wink
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2013, 05:08:13 pm »

Scott

Is it one of those important round number / decade birthdays?

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
tomballos
K1300S Motorsport

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2013, 07:25:29 pm »

It'll be nice to see you again Tom! (Been a long time!)

Sure! Garry and I posted a couple routes. Mine is here. Feel free to comment or critique it—I just threw it together based on what looked good on the map (I know pretty much nothing about the Catskills.)

I'm into riding as many scenic backroads as possible—including goat paths if they're paved (beat-up pavement is okay as long as it's not all day long) or even some smooth dirt/gravel roads are fine (again, as long as it's not all day!). For example, in my route there's a big empty space called "Balsam Lake Mountain Forest" on Google Maps...I'd love to ride around in there, but have no idea what the roads are like?

As usual, looking at the maps, it's hard to tell which of those tiny roads winding right through the very heart of the Catskills are paved and which are dirt?

Scott

It has been a while Scott.  I'll add my .02 cents in for a couple rides.  I was out Saturday and one of the best roads, Frost Valley Rd, route 47, is in the process of being chip sealed.  Might be OK by the 21st.  I'm only an hour away so I'll make sure to check it out prior.  Also the last two times I rode the Cats I've been detoured each time for a bicycle group of a hundred or more doing their thing.

Looking forward to the weekend as I haven't done much group riding in a couple years.

Tom
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2013, 07:34:09 pm »

ESTN Multi-tasking: Creating my three days of routes in Basecamp while drinking beer and listening to Lettuce (with occasional diversions to the web). Need to figure out a way home...

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2013, 10:46:15 pm »

Is it one of those important round number / decade birthdays?

Nah, just something random like 32. :-)

Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2009 BMW K1200LT (trunkless)
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 1873

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2013, 11:48:49 am »

I still can't figure out how to use base camp or to upload routes to my Garmin Zumo 220. Guess ill have to follow Garry.

MarkF

new bike - BMW K1200LT & old bikes - BMW R1150GS, Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Yammie TW200, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
tomballos
K1300S Motorsport

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2013, 12:59:58 pm »

Getting psyched.  I put together a Saturday route and some area info for those of you that don't frequent the Catskills.  Mornings are generally chilly in late Sept.  I've also included a string of some great roads that make up a full days ride.  The ride is 247 miles and the GPS says 7.25 hours non stop.  I figure doing the speed limits ( EEK!), eating lunch, breaks, and gas we should be able to do it in 8.5 to 9 hours.  Due to size constraints I have to post the ride in two halves, morning through lunch and lunch through the end of the day.

I have a full size pic if anyone wants a copy.  The GPS file is ready and I have included it here but I figure others may have some insight into road conditions and possible closures so I'll hold off for a few days before I finalize it (oops, the GPX file just goes over my 256kb limit so if you want a copy I'll have to Email it to you.  Believe it or not the Cats have not yet recovered from those big storms a couple years ago.

If your a fast rider and all you plan to see is asphalt you will love this route, if your a sightseer you'll love it even more.  Check the route out in Google Earth.  Inlove
Sarchi
warm and fuzzy

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2013, 04:46:25 pm »

Can't wait!!

Thanks Tom, et al.

-Noam
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2013, 05:00:41 pm »

Can't wait!!

Thanks Tom, et al.

-Noam

It looks like a good cast of characters going to this.

I haven't seen you since the 675 meet in Deal's Gap.  It's been too long.  Now I won't be here.  
Sarchi
warm and fuzzy

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2013, 05:17:21 pm »

I remember that too. Neither of us were on 675's at the meet.  Lol

I'm gonna make a better effort to start coming out to these things, so....hopefully see you at the next one.  Beerchug

(BTW, for those who keep track, I WAS at SNOB 2012, aka the "unofficial" SNOB. SNOB 2,5?)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 05:20:29 pm by Sarchi » Logged
Scratch33

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, 2x'10
Motorcycles: '08 R1200GSA, '09 DD750, '07 F800S, '10 Madass 125
GPS: That Other Place
Miles Typed: 12394

My Photo Gallery

His Excellency's Car!

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2013, 06:22:53 pm »

We're going to leave Annapolis Thursday and taking a leisurely 2-day FUGAWI up to Hancock.   Need to scope out a town somewhere in northern PA with a nice B&B, restaurant, brewpub.

All Your Forum Are Belong to VS
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal