Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Sad news this morning regarding Ardys Kellerman  (Read 9515 times)

sleazy rider

Reputation 37

Years Contributed: '06, '07
Years Supported: '11
Miles Typed: 5560

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2013, 06:12:54 am »

Reports on The MTF forums is she passed away on June 23rd in Leeds, AL.  We lost a good one with her passing.  I had the honored pleasure of chatting with her a couple times.  
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Mac
Yeehaw, Texas!!

Reputation 40

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: none
GPS: Dallas, Tx.
Miles Typed: 7823

My Photo Gallery

I just got out of a prison

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 06:32:51 am »

Her passing wasn't m/c relater was it?

Derp derp derp.
Scratch33

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, 2x'10
Motorcycles: '08 R1200GSA, '09 DD750, '07 F800S, '10 Madass 125
GPS: That Other Place
Miles Typed: 12394

My Photo Gallery

His Excellency's Car!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 06:50:32 am »

Appears it may have been.  Sad

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=mctourer&msg=50845.1

All Your Forum Are Belong to VS
Advertisement

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 104

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1507

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 07:52:34 am »

Reports on IBDone were that she was in some sort of wreck, was care-flighted out, but never regained consciousness.

A true tragedy.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6110

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 10:31:14 am »

What an amazing lady - wish I had gotten a chance to meet her. Ride on Ardys!

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 10:49:41 am »

Oh no, this is very sad news. Sad Sad

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
squeezer
Squirrelly Geezer

Reputation 83

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 16 Tiger XR(x)
GPS: The OC
Miles Typed: 5553

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 11:22:45 am »

Oh, no. That is heartbreaking.  Sad

Dang. I missed Ed's birthday again.
IBA, AMA, AARP
bomber

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17355

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 11:31:43 am »

She's a legend, and rightly so . . . . . . .

Ride on, Ma'am!

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
cognosticator

Reputation 5

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2013 Concours 14
GPS: Rincon, GA
Miles Typed: 781

My Photo Gallery

2013 Concours C14

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 11:42:53 am »

Here is an article about the accident

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/06/81-year-old_female_motoryclist.html

Jerry Holland
COG  4478
2013 Concours 14
Tyler

Reputation 31

Motorcycles: 2013 CanAm Spyder
GPS: Santa Clara, CA
Miles Typed: 650

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 12:17:49 pm »

The moto world has lost a good one... Godspeed Ardys...  hope you're riding those twisties up in heaven.
bluedogok
Ride to Eat - Eat to Ride

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
GPS: Aurora, Colorado
Miles Typed: 629

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 11:59:47 pm »

She was an interesting lady to talk to. If she wasn't on the road she was usually at Lone Star BMW/Triumph in Austin getting the bike serviced for her next ride.

RIP Queenie

Scott
Tyler

Reputation 31

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 12:34:16 am »

Found this on another forum:

This story gives you another insight into Ardys.

Jan 1, 2007

Queenie of Our Hearts
Ardys Kellerman - a rider to be celebrated
By Voni Glaves #13337

“Queenie” as she is known to the Gutter Gang at Lone Star BMW could easily be overlooked by someone who doesn't recognize an unpolished legend. A quick look in her eyes leaves you wondering what this great-grandmother's secret is. She is something.

Ardys Kellerman didn't start out to be a superhero. She was Mom to four kids. She had to work hard to support them on her own. Thirty-five years ago, she started off with a little Yamaha that came with a camper she purchased. That got her going and so she got a motorcycle license and learned on her own. When her van blew up she picked up a CB360 Honda to get to work and back. When she decided she could use a larger bike, her search took her to a Honda dealer. An 18-year-old customer was more interesting to the salesman than this young Mom, so Ardys decided to go elsewhere. After listening to another salesman tell a young couple about the Shadow she'd researched, he turned to her, assuming she was with them. He listened to her and then suggested she might actually like a BMW R80RT better. She admitted to him that it looked too big and she was afraid she might drop it. He dismissed her concerns with ease and suggested she come back with her riding gear when it wasn't raining. BMW's are all she's had ever since. Her last few bikes have all been Oilhead RT’s.

Is she really a superhero, you might wonder. Here are a few facts that Ardys is too modest to bring up. She was a licensed airplane pilot. She bred and showed dogs and horses before motorcycling became so important to her. She retired as an electronics technician at age 70. This great-grandmother of seven has completed four Iron Butt Rallies – the stamina trials billed as 11 thousand miles in 11 days. She started but didn’t finish one more. She has done innumerable Saddlesores (1,000 miles in 24 hours), and once, four in a row. That's a thousand miles a day for four days – in a row! This year she's done three more - in three different states. When she wasn't selected for the 2003 Iron Butt Rally, she did a little 49 state ride - in eight days - and was named an honorary citizen of the tiny town of Hyder, Alaska by the locals when they learned of her feat. She's ridden Coast to Coast in less than 50 hours. This year, at age 74, she is well on her way to setting a new record for women riders in the BMW MOA Mileage Contest of 75,000 miles. She is close to 700,000 lifetime BMW miles.

Her first long distance ride was to the Four Corners of the US. She had ridden from Maine to Key West, where it was unbearably hot, so she rode to Blaine, Washington to cool off before continuing on to San Ysidro, California. That was the year she rode 50,000 miles in six months for the BMW MOA Women's Mileage Contest, a mark which stood unchallenged for ten years.

Lone Star BMW in Austin, Texas has a dedicated corner of the dealership where Queenie and her minions gather. They display one of her Iron Butt flags and a newspaper article and other of her memorabilia there. Since they are open till 7 p.m. on Thursdays, that's the day they gather to go out to dinner somewhere. One of the Gutter Gang decided he'd ride a thousand miles and asked Ardys to sign his paperwork. To tease him, she said she'd have to ride along to really document the ride. As it turned out, seven more guys earned their Saddlesores under her watchful eye. With some of the bikes having a range of 125 miles that made it tough in west Texas but they managed to do it in just 22 hours. It was her most time-consuming ride ever.

Two of her equipment secrets are her sheepskin and her Motolights. When asked what it is that makes her ride like she does, she acknowledges that she just doesn't know. Competition is part of it. Before motorcycles, she had a bicycle. She had a pilots' license and always has been adventurous. She had done a lot of driving in the Northeast and she really likes to travel around. Even before she got her driver's license, she could tell others how to get places. She really didn't need written directions. The price of gas has something to do with it as well.

Her grandson, Scott, now has a Harley made the year he was born. When he was in elementary school, he was talking about his grandmother's motorcycle. He just didn't realize everyone's grandmother didn't ride. Of course the kids didn't believe him so he brought an MOA magazine with his grandmother winning the mileage contest for Show and Tell. It’s hard to dispute evidence like that.

Last summer she took her 15-year-old grandson, Jared, on a zoo tour driving by truck to San Diego from Massachusetts visiting zoos along the way including an animal safari Texas style. They missed Atlanta because Jared had to be back for school. She gave her youngest granddaughter, Tara, an all the gear all the time believer, a ride to her favorite Chuck E. Cheese. She's ridden up Mt. Washington with her son. Several of her family members ride, but not one as much as she does.

This year's highlights are many. She's met so many nice people and has gone to more rallies this year than she has in recent years. Riding with Heidi still doing 1,000 miles in one day in the constantly changing topography of Colorado is another highlight. She's been camping more this year as well. Meeting interesting people and seeing more of our beautiful country are important to her.

This year she's been to the North Florida Winter Rally, Bike Week in Daytona, the Women and Motorcycling Conference in Atlanta, the RA Rally in Boise, the Top O’Rockies Rally and she completed the Peaks of America tour by attending the MOA International rally in Vermont. She has spoken on two panels about long-distance riding. She brought down the house when asked when she knows she’s too tired to ride more, by confessing it’s when she ducks for overpasses. After the end of the mileage contest she'll return to Rhode Island to pick up a new bike she bought recently. This remarkable lady continues to shatter stereotypes, rack up miles and make friends along the way.

Source: BMW Motorcycle Owners of America

http://www.lonestarcycle.com/ardys100.htm
Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6110

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 01:47:31 am »

Thanks for that Tyler  Thumbsup

Again, what an amazing lady human.  

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
Lawn Dart
I am BMW-K: I survived Christine's Wrath.

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2012 Ducati Monster EVO; 2011 Yamaha WR250R
GPS: Anaheim Hills, CA
Miles Typed: 4457

My Photo Gallery

- C'mon Iron Horse! Go faster! Go Faster!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 10:34:29 pm »

Rest in peace, Dear Lady.  

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived, and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked, 
jeepinbanditrider
KK6RBI

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 78 Suzuki GS1000, 04 DL650
GPS: Greenville, Tx.
Miles Typed: 1215

My Photo Gallery

Alright Meow!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 08:14:03 pm »

Godspeed

Sent from my iPhone

1978 GS1000,  2004 VSTROM 650, 2008 MazdaSpeed3
Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 33

Motorcycles: '04 Concours - '03 FZ1 - '05 KTM 525 - '09 CRF250X - '13 KTM 990 SM-T - '07 Yamaha R6S
GPS: Shenandoah County, VA
Miles Typed: 3541

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 10:47:06 pm »

RIP.

Question I have based on something form the comments section of the article. Why do some folks get offended by the saying "They died doing what they loved."?   Is there something wrong with that idea or saying it?  I hope when my time comes I'm doing something I love and have a big ol'smile on my face till death comes knocking.  It sure beats laying confined in a hospital bed to weak or disabled to ever rise again and counting the weeks/days/hours/minutes till you can will your body to shut down IMHO.

I may die with nothing to show for it but there will be a heck of a garage sale.
Tyler

Reputation 31

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2013, 11:30:12 pm »

From Voni Glaves' FB page:

At 11 AM on July 24 Family and Friends will gather at St. Luke's Episcopal Church, 99 Peirce Street, in East Greenwich, RI to celebrate the life of Ardys Kellerman, or as we know her, Queenie.

I can't be there. Physically. But I can send my energy there.

And you can too. I propose we all, at 11 AM EDT on that day, stop what we are doing and tell your favorite Ardys story. To whomever appears in front of you. If you, like Ardys, prefer to be riding, I propose that when you stop for gas or whatever, you tell the next person who appears in front of you an Ardys story. I can see this happening all over the world. A fitting tribute to our dearest friend. Because you didn't have to know her well to be her friend. She had friends everywhere. Instantly.

And, if you'd like you can email me your story at voni@bigbend.net and I promise to share it with her family.

Voni Glaves
sMiling

Please copy and share the above. Her first favorite daughter, her favorite daughter and her other favorite daughter would love to have you join in.
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 09:33:10 pm »

RIP.

Question I have based on something form the comments section of the article. Why do some folks get offended by the saying "They died doing what they loved."?   Is there something wrong with that idea or saying it?  I hope when my time comes I'm doing something I love and have a big ol'smile on my face till death comes knocking.  It sure beats laying confined in a hospital bed to weak or disabled to ever rise again and counting the weeks/days/hours/minutes till you can will your body to shut down IMHO.

I have to agree with that, better to go doing what one loves than the alternative

RIP Dear Lady  Rose

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
Tyler

Reputation 31

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 05:01:05 pm »

FUNDRAISER for QUEENIE

Lone Star is collecting donations to help Ardys Kellerman's family in Rhode Island with the unexpected expenses associated with her loss. 110% of all donations received will be used to help Ardys' family with the costs of closing up her residence here in Texas and returning her personal property to her daughters. Ardys had many friends all over the United States. Please share this fundraising request with those friends who may not see it here. Any donation, large or small will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Please send your donations to the following address:
Queenie c/o Robert Krull
Lone Star BMW / Triumph
10600 N Lamar Blvd
Austin, TX 78753
Please make your checks payable to: Robert Krull
Tyler

Reputation 31

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 01:26:25 pm »

P.S. You can paypal for Ardys to info@lonestarcycle.com

Be sure to choose the gift option so they don't charge any fees.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal