Poll
Question: What would be your choice?
CB500X - 14 (35.9%)
NC700X - 14 (35.9%)
I'd rather jump off a bridge - 11 (28.2%)
Total Voters: 39

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Honda CB500X Adventure as compared to NC700X  (Read 33975 times)

Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Miles Typed: 13728

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2013, 12:45:08 pm »

The other day I came across this guy's video log comparing the new CB500X to his NC700X.  I thought it was a well done set of videos.  His conclusion favors the NCX for its ample torque, but he points to the CBX as being inherently more fun because of its revier nature.

http://youtu.be/xAZzwoDJmng

http://youtu.be/HS0QU2b0FcQ
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 12:59:44 pm »

I'm too fat for a 500 Rolleyes

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

Motorcycles: Something old, it's not blue, nor 'tis borrowed, so screw you.
Miles Typed: 3345

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 01:03:53 pm »

I'm over "rev-happy" engines that have to rev to be fun. Shrug

"Chris is correct." -- bomber
Advertisement

HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 02:12:16 pm »

I'm over "rev-happy" engines that have to rev to be fun. Shrug

Shrug
from http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-2013-honda-cb500x-review/22704.html

The engine is the same 471cc, 47bhp parallel-twin that does duty in the F and the R. Though wearing a silver-coloured coating rather than black, it has the same untimidatingly linear power delivery, same brisk acceleration and torque-rich roll-ons, same approx-115mph top speed.

Granted, the NC700's are the antithisis of 'rev-happy'.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 02:27:30 pm »

Shrug
from http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-2013-honda-cb500x-review/22704.html

The engine is the same 471cc, 47bhp parallel-twin that does duty in the F and the R. Though wearing a silver-coloured coating rather than black, it has the same untimidatingly linear power delivery, same brisk acceleration and torque-rich roll-ons, same approx-115mph top speed.

Correct, all CB[?]500[?] use the same engine. I don't wanna rev an engine to the moon to enjoy it any more.

That's what I love about them.  Thumbsup

Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 02:39:28 pm »

Yes, that was my impression from riding it; however, it's not that it doesn't rev easily, it's that the revs end so abruptly at the low redline.  In contrast, the linked video blogger seemed pleased to be testing an engine (the 500) that can sing where the NCX simply cannot.  A singing engine is a wonderful thing, imho.

Interesting that despite the cc difference, the blogger seemed to indicate that the NCX gets slightly better fuel economy (though he did not end up filling it, so I don't know where that info came from).  Despite that, with the larger tank, the CB500X most likely has the better range.

While I really like the stuff storage of the NCX for its front stuff storage, fuel economy, and looks, the CBX is attractive in its ABS availability (w/o DCT), thinner and lighter package, and more "normal" rev range.

Mostly I'm pleased to see that Honda went from zero adventure bikes in the US to two very practical ones within a short period of time.  I'm also pleased that at least one person would prefer to jump off of a bridge.
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 03:08:07 pm »

While I really like the stuff storage of the NCX for its front stuff storage, fuel economy, and looks, the CBX is attractive in its ABS availability (w/o DCT), thinner and lighter package, and more "normal" rev range.

I don't even begin to understand Honda's decision on pairing the two as the only option.  

bungie4

Reputation 21

Motorcycles: 2013 Yamaha FJR, 2013 CRF250L
GPS: Sudbury Ontario
Miles Typed: 841

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 05:25:49 pm »

How high is the bridge?

-Steve
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad Help when you need it www.assistancelist.com
auggius

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '95 VFR750; '96 DR350SE
GPS: Kaslo, BC
Miles Typed: 177

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 05:37:12 pm »

I don't even begin to understand Honda's decision on pairing the two as the only option.  

NC700X is available in Canada with CBS (linked ABS brakes) without DCT, and in red or black! Saw the red at dealer last week. I like! And a fellow in town has a black one that said I could take out for a spin. Told him I would take him up on that offer for sure.
2DFlyer
Wheelie Conflicted

Reputation 7

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '04 R1150RT
GPS: Apex, NC
Miles Typed: 1258

My Photo Gallery

IBA# 54155 SS1000

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 01:49:07 am »

NC700X is available in Canada with CBS (linked ABS brakes) without DCT, and in red or black!

I'm thoroughly obsessed with the NC700X.  More so than anything the motor intrigues me in ways that a Honda Fit does not.  Go figger.  I'd love to have one as a commuter.  There's a lot of reasons I'm not shopping another bike right now but the main beef with the NC is the lack of ABS option w/o DCT.  WTFHONDA.  You conceive the bike for new / returning riders, accessorize it for commuting and light touring and don't offer ABS?  I'll wait till you come to your senses.

RIP
'04 R1150R '05 Speed Triple  '05 Duc ST3   '99 ZRX1100 x 2
'02 883C   '98 PC800    '82 JX750J Maxim  '82 GS650L
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 09:15:19 am »

I'm thoroughly obsessed with the NC700X.  More so than anything the motor intrigues me in ways that a Honda Fit does not.  Go figger.  I'd love to have one as a commuter.  There's a lot of reasons I'm not shopping another bike right now but the main beef with the NC is the lack of ABS option w/o DCT.  WTFHONDA.  You conceive the bike for new / returning riders, accessorize it for commuting and light touring and don't offer ABS?  I'll wait till you come to your senses.

This is EXACTLY my mindset right now. To be honest, I'd actually buy the stupid DCT just to get ABS. That's how much I want and believe in ABS.  

Hickey
Farmer Bill

Reputation 41

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: Street Triple R
GPS: Camp Grove, IL
Miles Typed: 2783

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 03:16:12 pm »

This is EXACTLY my mindset right now. To be honest, I'd actually buy the stupid DCT just to get ABS. That's how much I want and believe in ABS.  

Yep. I've caught myself imagining what the DCT would be like more than once, wondering if it could be justified.

Without exception, I'd rather know an upsetting fact than believe a comforting lie.
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 03:22:48 pm »

Yep. I've caught myself imagining what the DCT would be like more than once, wondering if it could be justified.

Having owned and ridden a few scooters, I'm not nearly the "shifting is man's work" motorcycle transmission snob that many are.  Lol Lol Lol

Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 01:40:02 pm »

My dealer has a 500X in stock now.  I love that matte black paint job!  Also, it's very thin to sit on.  Seriously nice bike, Honda.   Thumbsup
Cager

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: NC700XA
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 09:25:22 am »

Interesting that despite the cc difference, the blogger seemed to indicate that the NCX gets slightly better fuel economy (though he did not end up filling it, so I don't know where that info came from).  Despite that, with the larger tank, the CB500X most likely has the better range.

That info came from the onboard computer.
In fact, fuelly.com shows that the CB has a very slight advantage in mileage. In the real world (not gunning it up and down a mountain) it uses about 3.3-3.7 L/100kms, while the NC does 3.5-3.8 L/100kms.

P.S.: Googling Yourself is FUN!
P.P.S.: How to read a clock? Seriously?
Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 09:38:31 am »

That info came from the onboard computer.
In fact, fuelly.com shows that the CB has a very slight advantage in mileage. In the real world (not gunning it up and down a mountain) it uses about 3.3-3.7 L/100kms, while the NC does 3.5-3.8 L/100kms.

P.S.: Googling Yourself is FUN!
P.P.S.: How to read a clock? Seriously?

Ok, glad to hear it - I should have figured that, but I'm used to not trusting the accuracy of onboard fuel estimates.  Thanks for the videos and welcome to STN.   Thumbsup
Papa Lazarou

Reputation 61

Years Contributed: '09
GPS: Sussex
Miles Typed: 9253

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 09:44:24 am »

Why did I read this as CX500?

The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 09:57:19 am »

Why did I read this as CX500?

You Brits are still having trouble with English, huh? Understandable; it's not like you invented the language or anything.  Bigok

black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 10:01:12 am »

I rode the 700 last weekend and it was a bit of a pooch. I would have to lose at least 100lbs. To be happy on the 500

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
motormike

Reputation 31

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800FI
GPS: Mpls., Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1160

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 10:07:07 am »

If the NC700X is suppose to be an adventure commuter thing, I'd rather have a larger gas tank than 3.7 gallons and then just use a top case instead of the storage compartment.  If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose the NC700X with DCT & ABS over the CB500X.  I stopped the video right after the chap started drooling over the flat black paint job.  I can't stand black bikes and flat black just looks unfinished.

Thankfully, I have my VFR 800 to ride.

:popcorn:
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal