Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: do i expect too much  (Read 9809 times)

Open Sore
Asshat #4

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: '01 XV16ATN, "14 ZR1000
GPS: Hudson Valley, NY
Miles Typed: 1345

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2013, 12:59:50 am »

I sold an old motorcycle, that wasn't running, for what I thought was a very fair discount.  the person buying the motorcycle showed up $200 light.
against my better judgement I allowed the bike to leave while holding the title to it.
I was told I'd have the balance due the next day, unfortunately it's now been over eight days.
the $200 is not going to make or break me, but I feel like a sucker for believing him.
what do you guys  did I do the right thing trusting, and putting faith into what he told me.  OR am I an idiot for believing somebody that I don't know.

Let's do the Time Warp again!
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 104

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1507

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 01:22:34 am »

Bill of sale with the details & signature by both?

If not, then maybe not an idiot but clearly clueless and too trusting of strangers.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: '04 BMW K1200RS, '05 BMW R1200GS, '07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
GPS: Tucson, AZ
Miles Typed: 822

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 01:26:58 am »

Yes.  The money isn't the only reason.

Someone tried the same offer on me when I was selling a bike. I talked to my insurance company and they said if the person riding it gets into an accident and gets hurt,  I can be sued by them because  I still own the bike. They also said if the person causes an accident and a third party gets hurt, I can be sued by the third party because it's still my bike. Insurance company said, "DO NOT ACCEPT THE OFFER!"
Advertisement

JimWilliamson

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Fort Collins, CO
Miles Typed: 2486

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 01:30:17 am »

? Try to contact the buyer and say that if they do not show up with the funds to complete the transaction you'll call the police and report the bike as stolen ?  (might this help reduce any [unlikely] insurance issue down the road)
GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

Motorcycles: MTS1200ST, V-Strom 1000, '94 Yamaha GTS1000, 2 Honda VF700F's
GPS: E.R. Burroughs Ranch, aka Tarzana, California
Miles Typed: 2821

My Photo Gallery

Lane-Sharing Saved My Life!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 05:39:20 am »

Just post his Name, Phone# here. Sometimes I get bored, and believe I can't be the only one that will call him up to give words of encouragement to pay up.   Wink

Though, sounds like it was a buy to part it out, and really he doesn't give a shit about the title...

Maybe he'd pay up, if he realizes changing his phone# might be more of a hassle than just paying up...

"I actually felt G-Forces in my face fat" - Streetbike Tommy
Blunder
The 10th Reindeer

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: '01 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Reno, NV
Miles Typed: 7785

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 05:43:15 am »

? Try to contact the buyer and say that if they do not show up with the funds to complete the transaction you'll call the police and report the bike as stolen ?  (might this help reduce any [unlikely] insurance issue down the road)

Very gray area, methinks.

Do you still have a key? Do you know where the bike is parked? Do you get where I'm going with this? You still hold the title, right? There was no bill of sale, right? If you have any big and angry looking friends and all the answers to the above are yes....the stars may be aligned for you. At the very least you'll get your $200.

It's just a suggestion.

When you come to a fork in the road, lick the spoon.
blackbuell

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: '75 YAM RD250, '07 Moto Guzzi Norge, '14 BMW F800GT, 2017 Indian Scout
GPS: Independence, KY
Miles Typed: 606

My Photo Gallery

formerly Yamabuell

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 06:37:06 am »

sounds like it was a buy to part it out, and really he doesn't give a shit about the title...

Could be the case. If true, you are dealing with a person who will only pay up if they are somehow forced to. Good luck.

Jon
Rattlehead
part of a dying breed- the stubborn DIY-er

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2005 Buell XB12R
Miles Typed: 377

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 07:36:37 am »

People are self-centered, self-serving, moral-less scumbags any more who only look out for THEIR best interests. When you believe this to be true you can be pleasantly surprised when someone proves you wrong and you’ll never be taken advantage of by the rest.

insert witty saying here.
vulcanbill
This IS me smiling.

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '13 XT250 only
GPS: Martinsburg, WV
Miles Typed: 2864

My Photo Gallery

newbie prepper

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 07:37:36 am »

I think you're lucky that you've not experienced the things in the volume that make the rest of us so jaded and untrusting.  But now you're getting there.  A couple more attempts to take advantage of your kindness and your spidey senses will be appropriately tuned to "they're all out to get me".  Sad truth of doing private party business sometimes.

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.  Garzeerah!
bomber

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17355

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 09:10:54 am »

While I won't allow myself to get as jaded as some, when doing business with people I don't know, the details of the deal should be carried out to the letter of the agreement.

Otherwise, no deal.

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

Motorcycles: Something old, it's not blue, nor 'tis borrowed, so screw you.
Miles Typed: 3345

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 09:19:54 am »

Yes.  The money isn't the only reason.

Without a notarized title showing the new buyer's name, or a notarized bill of sale, you're likely on the hook for anything that happens out in the world with that bike. He gets it running and kills a nun... you're on tap. He lights it on fire in the middle of the mall... you're on tap. He abandons it and it racks up $2300 in towing and storage charges... you're on tap.

I got burned by this once. Never again.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:36:25 am by Carbonero » Logged

"Chris is correct." -- bomber
Mr.Black

Reputation 153

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '08 GSF1250
GPS: 01543
Miles Typed: 18512

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 09:21:27 am »

Report it stolen and move on because that's what he did.

Sig lines used to be fun.
zer0netgain

Reputation 34

Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
GPS: VA/TN
Miles Typed: 6472

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 09:38:50 am »

THIS.

You can rescind the report if and when he pays the balance and you transfer the title.  It's not a false report if he took the property and failed to pay the balance and doesn't hold legal title.

Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 09:54:26 am »

And if it was insured you can doubly profit.

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
tjhess74
Burning old dinosaurs is what I do

Reputation -17

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
GPS: North Charleston, SC
Miles Typed: 2160

My Photo Gallery

two of my favorite things...

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 10:03:29 am »

honestly, i highly doubt the police will touch this situation.  of course, it will ultimately depend on your state laws, but most states will consider this a civil matter and thus, out of the polices jurisdiction.  this is a classic breach of contract in which the police are powerless to do anything.  the contract in this case is verbal, so in other words, your word against his.

if the bill of sale/title has been signed over to him, i would just stuff it in his mailbox and move on.  i would think that if its been signed over you would be out of liability since he is the technical owner, not you.  if it hasnt been signed yet, pray he doesnt get the bike up and running!

i ride.  to work, to home, to the store, to kill time.  doesn't matter when, what the weather, or with who.  i ride.

Iron Butt Association #30337
nonposter

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Ninja 250x2, Vstrom 650
GPS: DFW
Miles Typed: 32

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 10:21:43 am »

In Texas, there is a form you can fill out and submit to the DPS to show you transferred ownership of the car/bike to another person. This is to help you in the case where someone never transfers a title out of your name (leaving you financially responsible). I believe you have 60 days to turn in the form, but everyone I talk to recommends you do it ASAP.

If you are not going to report it stolen (and I am not sure you will get anywhere with that), then I would check to see if they have a similar form in your state. At least you will not be financially responsible if he does something stupid.

- nonposter
Mr.Black

Reputation 153

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '08 GSF1250
GPS: 01543
Miles Typed: 18512

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 10:23:50 am »

honestly, i highly doubt the police will touch this situation.  of course, it will ultimately depend on your state laws, but most states will consider this a civil matter and thus, out of the polices jurisdiction.  this is a classic breach of contract in which the police are powerless to do anything.  the contract in this case is verbal, so in other words, your word against his.

if the bill of sale/title has been signed over to him, i would just stuff it in his mailbox and move on.  i would think that if its been signed over you would be out of liability since he is the technical owner, not you.  if it hasnt been signed yet, pray he doesnt get the bike up and running!

For CYA only.

Sig lines used to be fun.
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 10:36:25 am »

Bingo.

Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 10:38:18 am »

Let's clear a few things up...

The bike is NOT stolen. Reporting it so will result in badness and woe; police don't like falsified reports. There was a deal discussed, and the OP willingly let the vehicle leave. It is not stolen. Period. End of story.

zer0netgain

Reputation 34

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 10:46:11 am »

For CYA only.

+1

Cops might do nothing, but they can't refuse to let you file a stolen property report.  If he tries to get it running and get it titled (or just transfer the frame), it will come up as stolen.

zer0netgain

Reputation 34

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 10:48:28 am »

The bike is NOT stolen. Reporting it so will result in badness and woe; police don't like falsified reports. There was a deal discussed, and the OP willingly let the vehicle leave. It is not stolen. Period. End of story.

If he has the bike, paid only part of the price, does not possess the signed title or have it retitled in his name, as far as the law is concerned, he does not own the bike.

If you walk out of a diner with a $50 tab but hand the owner $25 and say you'll come back with the other $25 and do not, it's still theft.

Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 11:03:08 am »

If he has the bike, paid only part of the price, does not possess the signed title or have it retitled in his name, as far as the law is concerned, he does not own the bike.

If you walk out of a diner with a $50 tab but hand the owner $25 and say you'll come back with the other $25 and do not, it's still theft.

I doubt that it would hold up. The difference is he (the seller) LET the bike leave with the buyer; the diner isn't LETTING me leave.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:06:11 am by Carbonero » Logged

zer0netgain

Reputation 34

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 11:45:50 am »

I doubt that it would hold up. The difference is he (the seller) LET the bike leave with the buyer; the diner isn't LETTING me leave.

In his case, it's theft by fraud.  The buyer lied to get possession of the property but never followed through on the promise.  The cops are happy to let this run as a civil matter, but that doesn't stop him from filing a criminal complaint so that the VIN number can be flagged at the DMV and reported as stolen.  Yeah, he won't get money from his insurance company, but it protects him as compared to doing nothing.  A civil suit will not do jack with the title and VIN number.

Remember, we're talking about CYA for his interests.  He can live without the $200 owed, but he doesn't want to be legally liable if something happens with HIS property while in the buyer's hands.

Max Wedge
Engineering Pathologist

Reputation 24

Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS '06 YZ250F
GPS: The mitten in Region 4
Miles Typed: 2460

My Photo Gallery

Sport-Mowing.net

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 11:46:05 am »

What if it was a test ride and he never returned? You let it leave, but it was supposed to come back. If it was to come back if the other $200 was not paid, it was theft. *Just playing devil's advocate.*
blackbuell

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: '75 YAM RD250, '07 Moto Guzzi Norge, '14 BMW F800GT, 2017 Indian Scout
GPS: Independence, KY
Miles Typed: 606

My Photo Gallery

formerly Yamabuell

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 12:06:30 pm »

OS,

Please follow up on this to let us know how it turned out, even if it takes a long time to be resolved,

Jon
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 12:36:54 pm »

If you finance a car and don't pay it, the police don't come arrest you for theft. The creditor sues you in civil court and the court enters an order against you.

If you can go ahead and get the cops to write it up, have at it. I really doubt they will, though.

zer0netgain

Reputation 34

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 02:08:51 pm »

If you finance a car and don't pay it, the police don't come arrest you for theft. The creditor sues you in civil court and the court enters an order against you.

If you can go ahead and get the cops to write it up, have at it. I really doubt they will, though.

When you finance the car, the creditor pays the seller in full.  If you don't pay, it's a breach of contract issue because you agreed to timely, regular payments, and the title is in YOUR name with the creditor listed as a lien holder.  Significant difference.

Even then, if you did some really stinky moves to get a lot of goods on credit then skip town, you could be charged with an intent to defraud the creditor.  If you just stop making payments later down the line, it's not the same thing.

Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2013, 02:18:01 pm »

We're splitting hairs. In the real world, OS let the bike go with a partial payment. In the real world he'll be told "That was stupid. You should file a civil suit against him."

MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 2627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2013, 02:18:40 pm »

In Texas, there is a form you can fill out and submit to the DPS to show you transferred ownership of the car/bike to another person. This is to help you in the case where someone never transfers a title out of your name (leaving you financially responsible). I believe you have 60 days to turn in the form, but everyone I talk to recommends you do it ASAP.

If you are not going to report it stolen (and I am not sure you will get anywhere with that), then I would check to see if they have a similar form in your state. At least you will not be financially responsible if he does something stupid.

Washington State has this, too.  I'd recommend you fill out this form ASAP so officially the State knows that you sold the bike.  Then, anything happens it's not your problem.

As for the $200?  Write it off to experience.  Guy who stiffed you is a self-serving asshole.

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
poffpaul

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: Former: '06 Suzuki Savage (LS650) Current: '98 Kawasaki Ninja 500R
GPS: Region 1 - Southern Oregon
Miles Typed: 48

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 03:08:55 pm »

OS,

Please follow up on this to let us know how it turned out, even if it takes a long time to be resolved,

Jon

^ This. I once sold a car by payments of $100 at a time (because I too have been on the payment end and been grateful someone worked something out with me) and they made the first two and then split. I never recovered the car, and never heard back about it again. This was about 6 years ago, and I never attempted to follow up, not knowing the liability issues.  Embarassment I take it I was lucky nothing ever came back on me?

"Oh, you and your facts, reason and logic. There's no call for that. It's like going ahead and shooting the guy who brought the bucket of dead fish to a gun fight. It's just overkill, man." - Carbonero
Dan K

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: '10 VFR1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 4226

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 03:13:17 pm »

KEEP A COPY OF EVERYTHING. I'd still report it as stolen after a down payment.

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K
Open Sore
Asshat #4

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2013, 05:12:34 pm »

Heard back from the 'buyer', I will supposedly be getting the balance due, this weekend.  I work with a close friend of his, which is why I let it go without payment in full.  Had that not been the case, I would have just pushed it back in the garage and said see you when you have it all.

It was very frustrating not getting returned calls for a few days in a row.  I would have been happier if he just called and said - I'm sorry I need some extra time to get the cash is next weekend okay?  Basically the money wasn't the biggest issue with me.  It was being told a lie, and then feeling like an idiot for trusting someone.

nonposter

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 05:15:47 pm »

That is good news. Glad you did not have to escalate it

I would still look for and fill out the title transfer doc from the DPS, to prove you sold him the bike. If he is having issues getting cash for purchase, I imagine he will have some trouble getting cash to put the title in his name (assuming he even intends to do that). 30 min of your time could save you thousands of dollars.

- nonposter
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 05:16:08 pm »

Heard back from the 'buyer', I will supposedly be getting the balance due, this weekend.  I work with a close friend of his, which is why I let it go without payment in full.  Had that not been the case, I would have just pushed it back in the garage and said see you when you have it all.

It was very frustrating not getting returned calls for a few days in a row.  I would have been happier if he just called and said - I'm sorry I need some extra time to get the cash is next weekend okay?  Basically the money wasn't the biggest issue with me.  It was being told a lie, and then feeling like an idiot for trusting someone.

Glad it's working out (or seems to be).  Thumbsup

bomber

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 05:20:37 pm »

Being trusting (specially with the connection you have to this person) isn't idiocy . . . . .

Do you want to be the guy that doens't trust anyone?

-- Jane Catherine Lotter
Dan K

Reputation 110

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 06:41:00 pm »

Being trusting (specially with the connection you have to this person) isn't idiocy . . . . .

Do you want to be the guy that doens't trust anyone?

There's a time and a place for everything, Bomber. Selling a bike to someone you don't know? Bike stays in my garage until paid in full, unless the friend I work with says he'll cover the rest if the buyer doesn't come through.

Trust means I'll take a deposit and hold the bike, passing up other opportunities to sell, because I trust you'll come back and pay the rest.

- Dan

kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 90

GPS: NKY
Miles Typed: 1143

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2013, 07:39:59 pm »

We sold my sons truck to a private party and received payment in full, everything fine right?

Not so fast my friend.....6mths later we received a letter from the state of Indiana saying that MY truck could be picked up at an impound lot, after I paid the fines and storage fees.  The new owner had never transferred the title.  As far as I know, that truck is still sitting there.  I ended up having to pay Kentucky property tax for the next year, as the new owner never filed for a title in his name and as far as the state was concerned, I still owned the truck.

Ever since, I have made it a point on any vehicle I sell to go right down to the county office and have the vehicle taken off my ownership records as soon as the vehicle leaves my possession.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
MorrisGray

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Looking for my next bike
Miles Typed: 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2013, 09:16:26 am »

I do not think you expected too much at all. What I do think is that our society now days are full of irresponsible and untrustworthy sorry arse people. I am glad this subject came up because it made me think about it seriously as I have done such things before myself.

I financed a car to someone I worked with before, my boss for his son. My payments were consistently late, he quit the job and left before I was paid in full. Could have been bad but by the time he left, he had paid enough that he needed to pay me off so he could get the title. So I lucked out there.

Did same with a motorcycle and a coworker. Coworker died at age 28. I had to repossess the bike from his widow.

Many times I have sold car/bike to someone. Paid in full. Sign title and give them a bill-of-sale. Off they go.
But now that I think of it, that is not good for me unless I have a copy of the bill-of-sale and notarized even better. And have their name filled in on the title and make myself a copy. A lot of people who buy and sell don't want their names on the title. They just want it signed by you and left open until they sell it so they pay no taxes or insurance or whatever on it.

Regardless of what you do otherwise, they can leave with the title you gave them, the bill of sale you gave them, and throw them away if they wish and how are you protected or how can you prove that they bought it from you? They could hurt someone else or use it in a criminal act such as bank robbery or such. Police will come looking for you! I guess they would if they are able to get identification off of it. And thinking of this I believe you should get proof of identification and make a copy of that too! They could give you a false identity!

Wow... Lot of bad possibilities could happen if you think about it.

Agree?
nonposter

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2013, 09:56:54 am »

MorrisGray,

That is exactly why the Texas DPS has a form you can fill out that says you sold a car to a particular individual.

- nonposter
tjhess74
Burning old dinosaurs is what I do

Reputation -17

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
GPS: North Charleston, SC
Miles Typed: 2160

My Photo Gallery

two of my favorite things...

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2013, 11:44:07 am »

im glad the op is seeing a possible resolution.

some of you guys are confusing apples with oranges, and it could lead to giving bad advice someday.  civil law and criminal law are mutually exclusive.  police, and their paperwork, have no jurisdiction in any civil matters. the only time the police can come close to enforcing a civil judgement is typically in family court matters, bet even then it can be a dicey deal.

again, it does vary by state, but most police departments will not write a 'stolen property' report when it is clearly a civil breach of contract, not theft.  you cant have both!  the op and the buyer made a verbal deal, a contract.  the buyer has failed to hold up his end of that contract.  it is not a criminal matter and very few police departments 'have to' write a report just because someone wants one for a matter outside of police jurisdiction.  if its a police matter, then that is a different story.

the example of the diner only paying half is misguided.  if the owner lets the patron leave on the word of coming to pay later, then that is a civil contract that the two parties intervened in, and thus not a crime.  if the patron dined-n-dashed by shorting the bill, then that would be a criminal theft matter.

would the op lose anything by calling the police and asking if they can help? of course not, but i wouldnt hold my breath in this case.  the advice of filling out the transfer of ownership paperwork asap is solid.

i ride.  to work, to home, to the store, to kill time.  doesn't matter when, what the weather, or with who.  i ride.

Iron Butt Association #30337
mcrider007

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2014 FJR-ES, 2012 S10, 2010 C14A
GPS: Kennewick, WA
Miles Typed: 351

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2013, 12:36:50 pm »

Your top priority when selling any motor vehicle is the transfer of financial liability.  What that takes varies from state to state but I really doubt that this individual is going to place any priority on transferring the title to his name once you give it to him.  At this point I would insist on accompanying him to the appropriate office to verify the title is actually transferred.
Leanintree
Waiting for #3...

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 ZRX1200R, '02 Bandit600
GPS: Loveland, right on the edge of Kalirado
Miles Typed: 3417

My Photo Gallery

Bah. This year sucks.

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2013, 09:19:29 am »

I never understand these threads…  When I sell a vehicle,  I keep the plates. Without plates,  it hasn't been re-registered,  so new owner is responsible for registering to avoid being pulled over all the time. I keep my bill of sale,  but have never had to produce one.  Shrug No issues.
LT

'02 ZRX1200R  - Commutasaurus Rex, '02 Bandit600 - Appropriate name STILL pending

---Guns and bikes, peanut butter and jelly. See the comparison? One's just stickier.
Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 104

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1507

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2013, 12:20:13 pm »

In some states the plates are assigned to the person. Elsewhere they are assigned to the vehicle. In TX, OK, AR, LA, NM they go with the vehicle.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
FJR1300

Reputation 33

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: 2012 Honda CBR250
GPS: Jefferson City, MO
Miles Typed: 4614

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2013, 02:22:13 pm »

THIS.

You can rescind the report if and when he pays the balance and you transfer the title.  It's not a false report if he took the property and failed to pay the balance and doesn't hold legal title.

Okay... NOW you REALLY have no idea of what you are talking about. Once ANY cash was transferred between parties, it became a CIVIL issue.

I hope nobody ever takes any of your "legal" advice because you are going to get someone hurt.

FJR1300

Reputation 33

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2013, 02:33:08 pm »

Your stupidity is actually starting to piss me off, so please stop dispensing legal advice. If you walk out without paying a bill, that's theft. If you make an AGREEMENT to pay part of it now and return later with the rest, that's a civil issue and there is nothing the police can do about your problem.

NOTE: When vehicles are involved, a few states have some laws allowing for criminal action. It is still not theft so please do not listen to this idiot because it's not good advice.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 02:36:47 pm by FJR1300 » Logged

2RR2NV

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2012 ZX-14R in Blaze Green
GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 1978

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2013, 03:31:42 pm »

Without a notarized title showing the new buyer's name, or a notarized bill of sale, you're likely on the hook for anything that happens out in the world with that bike. He gets it running and kills a nun... you're on tap. He lights it on fire in the middle of the mall... you're on tap. He abandons it and it racks up $2300 in towing and storage charges... you're on tap.

I got burned by this once. Never again.

DAYUM!!!!!  are you sure you're not related to Murphy?  i thought i had bad luck, but you win. i can not hold a candle to your misfortunes.  Hail

If you're gonna go, go with a smile!  Smile

current ride:   2012 ZX-14R   previous rides:  2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR 750, 2002 Hayabusa, 2002 Honda VFR800, 1992 Honda Nighthawk
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2013, 04:02:12 pm »

In TX, OK, AR, LA, NM they go with the vehicle.

California, too, unless you have personalized plates that you want to keep.

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2013, 04:56:54 pm »

When is this going to move to the Legal EOE sub-forum?  Bigsmile
Open Sore
Asshat #4

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2013, 10:13:56 am »

Well the weekend came and went without hearing from him.  Talked to him this morning, he now has concerns that he hears a knock in the bottom end, but the bike isn't running yet, since he has yet to clean the carbs.  

As far as the concerns with the liability of transferring ownership, the bike left with no plates or registration.  In NY the plates stay with the registrant until turned in, they do not stay with the vehicle.

So if he does go out and ride it, it will be evident that he was on it illegally.

I wish I just parted the thing out.

Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2013, 10:20:56 am »

Well the weekend came and went without hearing from him.  Talked to him this morning, he now has concerns that he hears a knock in the bottom end, but the bike isn't running yet, since he has yet to clean the carbs.  

As far as the concerns with the liability of transferring ownership, the bike left with no plates or registration.  In NY the plates stay with the registrant until turned in, they do not stay with the vehicle.

So if he does go out and ride it, it will be evident that he was on it illegally.

Sad Sorry, man. That sucks.

Dan K

Reputation 110

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2013, 10:24:45 am »

As is = as is.  Did he say he won't pay?

bomber

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2013, 12:38:53 pm »

Am I reading this right? He thinks he hears a knock in the bottom end of the engine but it's not running yet?

-- Jane Catherine Lotter
Open Sore
Asshat #4

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2013, 12:41:40 pm »

That is correct.  He said he hears a knock, while it is turning over.  The bike is not running.  I told him it needs a carb clean above all else.  He has put in fresh gas and a battery, so it will turn over, but it did not fire.  Which is no surprise to me.

Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2013, 12:45:10 pm »

That is correct.  He said he hears a knock, while it is turning over.  The bike is not running.  I told him it needs a carb clean above all else.  He has put in fresh gas and a battery, so it will turn over, but it did not fire.  Which is no surprise to me.

He's just trying to snake you on the money. You can't hear a valid rod knock with the starter. There's too much going on with the starter, clutch basket noise, starter clutch, starter chain (if it has one), etc. It would have to be egregiously bad to hear it... like, the rod hanging out through a hole in the side of the block kind of bad.  

bomber

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2013, 01:24:38 pm »

^ Chris is correct.

-- Jane Catherine Lotter
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2013, 01:35:40 pm »

^ Chris is correct.

Lol Lol Lol

Open Sore
Asshat #4

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2013, 03:16:24 pm »

Yeah, I thought some on the board would appreciate the knock in the engine, without it running.

I mentioned it might be time to start discussing interest on the money owed.  He is now saying he will get it to me by Wednesday.  I'll keep you guys posted.

Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2013, 03:18:59 pm »

Also, the bike isn't stolen.

bomber

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2013, 03:45:10 pm »

Lol Lol Lol

-- Jane Catherine Lotter
FJR1300

Reputation 33

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2013, 03:47:09 pm »

Also, the bike isn't stolen.

Are you sure?

coucours grad

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: 2008 ST1300
GPS: Covington GA
Miles Typed: 407

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2013, 07:54:51 pm »

How dare you expect full payment for your motorcycle...

Daawg, the bro is entitled to that bike and you are just trying to keep him down.

Cut the dude some slack.

NOT

quote author=Mrs. DantesDame   Polishing the turd does not make it any less of a turd  Rolleyes
Dan K

Reputation 110

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2013, 11:30:51 am »

Tell him to give you back the bike and you'll give him his money back next Tuesday.

Open Sore
Asshat #4

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2013, 09:25:27 am »

Well the BS came to an end on Saturday.  I was away on vacation for a week, when I came home he was still talking about the engine noise.

I went to his house, the noise was starter noise.

I gave him back his $300 and took my bike back (1985 Ninja 900).

He definitely bit off more than he could chew.  He left the carb boots (Between the air box and carbs) mashed up.  They are a bitch to get in, I remember, so rather than spend time on it, he just left them all misshapen.  

The bike is in a bit worse shape than when he took it, but its nothing I can't fix.  I think it was a sign for me to keep it.  Now its time to spend some time on it and get it back on the road.

poffpaul

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: Former: '06 Suzuki Savage (LS650) Current: '98 Kawasaki Ninja 500R
GPS: Region 1 - Southern Oregon
Miles Typed: 48

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2013, 07:34:12 pm »

I gave him back his $300 and took my bike back (1985 Ninja 900).

The bike is in a bit worse shape than when he took it, but its nothing I can't fix.  I think it was a sign for me to keep it.  Now its time to spend some time on it and get it back on the road.

Good move. Glad you got it sorted.  Thumbsup

"Oh, you and your facts, reason and logic. There's no call for that. It's like going ahead and shooting the guy who brought the bucket of dead fish to a gun fight. It's just overkill, man." - Carbonero
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal