Poll
Question: What is your opinion, wheelie? (multiple votes allowed)
Wheelies are bad for "motorcylists public image" - 52 (12.6%)
Wheelies are bad ass. - 50 (12.1%)
Wheelies are justifiably illegal and bad form. - 26 (6.3%)
My bike wheelies on its own, regularly. - 35 (8.5%)
My bike is incapable of wheelies (or maybe its me). - 29 (7%)
I did it once and still have stains in my shorts. - 16 (3.9%)
I wheelie most days. - 14 (3.4%)
I throttle over road humps/drops to loft the wheel (gravity assist). - 38 (9.2%)
I wish I knew how... - 39 (9.4%)
I have been ticketed for wheelies. - 9 (2.2%)
I wheelie at speed on the highway.  I'm also a squid. - 2 (0.5%)
I can perform wheelies but choose not to do it. - 34 (8.2%)
Wheelies are for idiots. - 22 (5.3%)
I have wrecked as a result of a wheelie. - 8 (1.9%)
I only wheelie dirt bikes. - 25 (6.1%)
I like to perform wheelies when riding with my buddies. - 13 (3.1%)
I will post a picture of my wheelie prowess. - 1 (0.2%)
Total Voters: 177

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Wheelie Confessional Booth  (Read 24224 times)

Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Miles Typed: 13728

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 23, 2013, 08:26:46 am »

Time to confess!
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

melville

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: BMW R75/6, Yamaha 850 Extra Special
GPS: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Miles Typed: 172

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 09:08:45 am »

All the time on the mountain bike.  Not yet, and probably never, on the Airhead.

Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5107

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 09:16:44 am »

You're missing an option;  Properly done Wheelies are an exemplary expression of a mans connection with and control of the motorcycle.

I've wheelied the vast majority of the bikes I've owned and probably tried to on all of them.
But I don't do it all the time.
I don't do them on the K1200RS since I got the Ninja 650.  The k12 is a cow (her name is Kuhchen; kuh is german for cow) and comes down hard.

I learned how to do intentional, semi-controlled wheelies on a KZ750.  I put a small fairing on it for a while (my slide into sport-touring).  When I took the fairing off, the front end came up during hard accelleration.

Then I got a GPz750.  A shortcut near my house at the time was thru a drive-thru car wash with speed bumps.  I would gas it as the front wheel hit a speed bump.  Then I gave just a bit more gas as the rear wheel went over to spin the rear wheel on the wet pavement with the front wheel in the air.  Dunno if it looked cool, but I felt like the bike and I were doing gravity defying magic.

I bought a beat-up 175 enduro to teach my wife to ride many yrs ago.  That bike was sooo easy to wheelie.  I took it to a park / recreation area to see how it rode ‘off road’.  I hit a bump at about 35 and landed on the rear wheel.  I rode it on the rear for 30-50 feet.  People clapped!!  I didn’t even try to do it again.

I got stuck in traffic the other day on the Ninja 650 – we’d gain some speed, loose speed.  Over and over.  I was bored and behind a ‘tuner’ car w/ a fart can that was annoying when he sped up, so I started lifting the front wheel just a bit ea time we sped up.  After crawling a bit, I lifted the front wheel in a proper wheelie, just up and down.  The tuner pulled aside and gave me the thumbs up as I passed him.

I don't know how to do a 'high speed' wheelie.   I shoulda learned how to do that when I had the 955 Sprint RS...

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
Advertisement

black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 09:20:00 am »

The front wheel of the 990 only comes off the ground off pavement, it's pretty heavy and doesn't wheelie as easy as one would think. The CBR does a nice power wheelie (6-12" off the ground) a couple times everytime I ride it. I haven't done a good old fashion balance point wheelie for years. I was never really good at it and I'm sure I really suck at it now Rolleyes

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
Mr.Black

Reputation 152

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '08 GSF1250
GPS: 01543
Miles Typed: 18512

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 09:40:11 am »

Never done it, don't want to learn. I know that once I have learned, I will spend most of my time in the one wheeled position.

Sig lines used to be fun.
APEowner

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo
GPS: Beautiful Albuquerque, New Mexico
Miles Typed: 108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 10:42:28 am »

I can wheelie a dirt bike but I'm not really good at it.  About 10% of my attempts end up with me on the ground and the bike stuck in a tree or something.  That kind of hurts and its tough on the paint.  I imagine it's worse on a road bike.
cultureslayer

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '89 ex250
GPS: NC USA
Miles Typed: 5797

My Photo Gallery

furry ninja

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 10:52:30 am »

I don't think the ninja 250 is capable, especially since I geared it down to reduce the highway rpms.  Lol

Lauren
black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 10:53:11 am »

I have to admit there is nothing better than the feeling of a bike balanced on the rear wheel, unfortunately I can only do it by accident Rolleyes

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
coucours grad

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: 2008 ST1300
GPS: Covington GA
Miles Typed: 407

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 10:55:56 am »

The C-10 would but the results and wear and tear on the fork seals were not worth it.

The ST however seems to have a mind of its own....

Nothing like a WOT launch with the wife on the back.....front tire in the air and traffic fastly approaching to wake you up on a cool fall morning!

quote author=Mrs. DantesDame   Polishing the turd does not make it any less of a turd  Rolleyes
Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6110

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 11:42:03 am »

I don't think the ninja 250 is capable, especially since I geared it down up to reduce the highway rpms.  Lol

fxt

And power wheelies for me sometimes. Just a few inches.

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
Dan K

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: '10 VFR1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 4219

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 11:42:39 am »

When I learned to ride street bikes at 17 years old on a CBR600, yes, I clutched up wheelies.  When I was getting back into riding heavily about 8 years ago or so, I relearned on a Honda Shadow 700.  No wheelies on that bike, but it was quickly replaced with an FZ1, which I did not realize basically had R1 power.

I picked it up in Indianapolis, and was riding back to Chicago.  At a toll booth, I decided to test acceleration 0-60.  Front wheel came up pretty quick, scared the shit out of me, shifted into 2nd, brought the wheel slowly down, looked at the speedometer and was shocked to see I was going 120.  Power wheelies of 3-4" happened often.

I wheelied the 675 a few times on the track, again, not intentionally, and the Tuono, well, it has a mind of its own.  Bigok Bigok Bigok  Sometimes, little hops.  Sometimes the Sprint wheelies, but only on very rare occasions.  Note, it is not me...it's the bike...I swear  Cool

But I don't do the long, carry the wheelie on the rear wheel with my foot hovering over the rear brake - those always seemed foolish.

-Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K
miles

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13032

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 01:11:11 pm »

I wheelie under acceleration quite frequently, but they're just little ground-skimmers.  SOmetimes I get the front off the ground exiting turns, and that's a blast.  I like lofting the front over rises, too.

I don't do big, ostentatious wheelies where cagers can see.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:53:46 pm by miles » Logged

Three points where two lines meet
expatbrit

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1401

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 01:47:06 pm »

I've had a couple of the little power ones; usually I'm too slow on the throttle and -- even on the big bikes -- it's just a tiny short skimmer.

*sigh*

Damn confidence.
Kneescrubber
King of the 90º flat turn

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: '99 Honda VFR, '73 BMW R75/5
GPS: The western U.S. is strewn with paper maps I've lost from my tankbag.
Miles Typed: 3787

My Photo Gallery

Just a little more

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 01:49:49 pm »

Yes I wheelie. But only in my closet.

I'm on ST.N so its not like I'm a productive member of society anyway.   DogBoy
It's the internet.  It runs on drama.    Cablebandit
The difference between fiction and reality is fiction has to be believable.  Tom Clancy
vulcanbill
This IS me smiling.

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '13 XT250 only
GPS: Martinsburg, WV
Miles Typed: 2864

My Photo Gallery

newbie prepper

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 01:57:54 pm »

I am unfamiliar with this phenomenon of which you speak.  Tell me more.  

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.  Garzeerah!
Tyrroneous
Slow Attack Cow

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '07 Triumph Daytona 675, 2000 SV650N, '03 XR400R, '09 KLX250S
GPS: Bham, AL
Miles Typed: 2352

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 02:05:29 pm »

<<--Capable of hoisting short wheelies on the XR400 (working at getting better at it), but too scared to really try on the Daytona 675.  In my opinion, wheelies have their time and place, even on the street, and I could hoist one at will.  

Ride On...
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 03:49:19 pm »

Never done it, don't want to learn. I know that once I have learned, I will spend most of my time in the one wheeled position.

Other than the occasional gravity assisted wheelie from time to time,  Withstupid 100%

I was working on learning to wheelie on the 530EXC before I sold it.  But, I didn't get enough practice.
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 03:51:17 pm »

I am unfamiliar with this phenomenon of which you speak.  Tell me more.  

I have followed you before and call 100% BS on this comment.   Lol
stew71

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: 2007 Triumph Tiger
GPS: Sacramento, CA
Miles Typed: 1514

My Photo Gallery

Words simply cannot express how much I don't care.

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 06:10:46 pm »

A wheelie on the FJR would set off seismographs all up and down the West Coast, resulting in mass evacuations from the major cities.

I'll pass.

A hamster wheel looks like a career ladder from the inside.
The police never think it's as funny as you do.
Blunder
The 10th Reindeer

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: '01 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Reno, NV
Miles Typed: 7785

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 07:12:13 pm »

My XT600E could pull stonkin' multi-block long wheelies. I know cuz I watched the dude I bought it from do it.  Embarassment

Me? I'm good for crossing the intersection but it doesn't really interest me.

Of course, when I was 17 and rode an RD400, well you just had to. Especially if every other rider at school rode a CB400/550/750 or KZ650/900 (one bastard had a brand new Z1-R) and they were parked with girls around and I happened to ride past. W00T!

I used my RZ350 racebike to learn how to pull pavement skimmers, which is what you need when the green flag drops. It's something I still enjoy on the B12S. That perfect co-ordination of throttle, clutch and forward body lean combined makes for a good fun.

Now road enhanced wheelies and jumps? Shhhhh, this is not a secret but it is. About 8 miles south of Stinson Beach on HWY 1, when you're northbound and climbing out of a gully embedded hairpin and have it pinned there's a natural hump in the road. You can make it your own Ballaugh Bridge and what makes it dead sexy is having to cross the double yellow! (Don't worry, it's not a blind turn or anything. The HWY is double yellow for miles. No, not our miles. Silly). Any old bike can do it. Just evenly weight the pegs, gently lift your arse up and have the thing pointed somewhat straight and Shazaaam! You're the Maun!

Oh, I forgot to add that a proper wheelie, done at the right time can be totally badass and gnarly and stuff.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 07:21:38 pm by Blunder » Logged

When you come to a fork in the road, lick the spoon.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal