Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Put down a deposit on this "motorcycle"  (Read 14209 times)

falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2013, 09:27:02 am »

Of course he is, because those are the only things you could cross shop it to.  That's the drawback to them, but they have benefits for that money.  
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

02Tac
just plugging along

Reputation 52

Miles Typed: 3388

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2013, 09:42:44 am »

Wonder what the MPG figures would have been had they used a small turbo diesel instead of the gas engine.

Neat concept, but it seems to me that the only advantage (accident safety aside) it has over a motorcycle is weather protection.  I like the idea of it, but it would be to single purpose for me.

The road is NOT your personal race track - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw

If you could ride 1/2 as good as you think you do, you would be a pro.
Baz

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR
GPS: St. Albert, AB, Canada
Miles Typed: 9065

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2013, 09:51:19 am »

Wonder what the MPG figures would have been had they used a small turbo diesel instead of the gas engine.

Neat concept, but it seems to me that the only advantage (accident safety aside) it has over a motorcycle is weather protection.  I like the idea of it, but it would be to single purpose for me.

I am sure that the 84 mpg is as accurate as Dodge claims I am supposed to get on my new pick-up.  Wink
Advertisement

02Tac
just plugging along

Reputation 52

Miles Typed: 3388

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2013, 09:55:14 am »

I am sure that the 84 mpg is as accurate as Dodge claims I am supposed to get on my new pick-up.  Wink

Quite possibly, but even with the trucks, the diesels appear (from talking with owners) to get much better mpg than the equivalent gas version.

The road is NOT your personal race track - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw

If you could ride 1/2 as good as you think you do, you would be a pro.
SprintRSrider

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 2004 Triumph Sprint RS
GPS: Haslett, Michigan
Miles Typed: 243

My Photo Gallery

Where do we go from here?

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2013, 10:09:48 am »

What??? You mean you're not getting the numbers that the EPA provides to the manufacturers?  Obviously you don't drive at 60mph continuous on a rolling road with no wind or weather!  That's a shame, you should drive more like they do in the tests, then maybe you'd get 25mpg from your 2 1/2 ton truck! Lol

It's not what you start with, but what you have when you're finished that counts!
nesquikninja

Reputation 2

Miles Typed: 110

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2013, 11:28:31 am »

Neat, I'd drive it, all it needs is motorcycle stickers
JimWilliamson

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Fort Collins, CO
Miles Typed: 2486

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2013, 11:36:00 am »

You mean you're not getting the numbers that the EPA provides to the manufacturers?

I'm of the thought that their numbers are more "real world" than EPA numbers - numbers they are getting by driving the thing around.

As of the vid's on their site, they do not yet have a prototype (did they say they're at the mule stage of development?). I don't think the EPA would accept for testing the vehicles they yet have.

Though, yes, I will be curious to see more confirmation of real world numbers.
spd2918

Reputation -356

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: ST1300RR (for trips), YZF600R (for tracks), Police ElectraGlide (for tickets), TW200 for trails
GPS: NW WI
Miles Typed: 4240

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2013, 11:59:24 am »

The have mules and have been on a US tour to show them off.

I have been watching this company and will buy one if they stick to their price.  I don't doubt the highway mileage claim.  They essentially use an inline 3 cylinder (similar to a Metro) in a very light car with a much reduced frontal area.  It could work, but at what price?

Keep Obama in President, you know.  He gave us a phone; he gonna do more.
SprintRSrider

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 2004 Triumph Sprint RS
GPS: Haslett, Michigan
Miles Typed: 243

My Photo Gallery

Where do we go from here?

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2013, 01:08:56 pm »

The have mules and have been on a US tour to show them off.

I have been watching this company and will buy one if they stick to their price.  I don't doubt the highway mileage claim.  They essentially use an inline 3 cylinder (similar to a Metro) in a very light car with a much reduced frontal area.  It could work, but at what price?

I don't doubt their mileage claim, it's completely realistic.  My 2004 Sprint RS is capable of returning 50mpg on the highway.  It's happened many times.  I believe that if I was able to turn it into a streamliner, it could possibly crack 100mpg.  That machine is significantly more aerodynamic than a motorcycle. The sohc triple is probably a torque monster (relatively) and geared low enough to cruise at 3k rpm or so.  I think it's pretty cool and priced very well.  Hope it stays that way.  

It's not what you start with, but what you have when you're finished that counts!
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2013, 02:30:39 pm »

I don't doubt their mileage claim, it's completely realistic.  My 2004 Sprint RS is capable of returning 50mpg on the highway.  It's happened many times.  I believe that if I was able to turn it into a streamliner, it could possibly crack 100mpg.  That machine is significantly more aerodynamic than a motorcycle. The sohc triple is probably a torque monster (relatively) and geared low enough to cruise at 3k rpm or so.  I think it's pretty cool and priced very well.  Hope it stays that way.  

The Honda NC700X was able to acheive 70+ mpg.  I think Cycle World was able to see consistent 60+ mpg.  I good friend of mine who recently got one showed me his computer average:  58 mpg and we were riding spiritedly.  During the same ride my Buell 1125R was only getting 38 mpg average (with an upgraded ECM).  Prior to that the same bike would get around 42 mpg.

Rogue
jpaul

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 79 GS750E, 82 GS1100E, 80 GS1100E
Miles Typed: 71

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2013, 10:29:08 pm »

I checked it out when they came to Cleveland. Pretty much all of the running gear is off the shelf components. The engine & transmission are basically from the Smart Car. The rep said they would be making them, so possibly they have a licensing agreement. The aim is to have a 1000 lb curb weight, which will be key to getting their claimed mileage. With a Hyundai Accent weighing about 2400 lbs, If they can come close the their target weight, they may get close to the mileage they claim. I'm skeptical of their ability to hit both the mileage and price point target, but if they get reasonably close, they might sell a lot of these. At the claimed mileage and price, I could pay for one of these just on the gas savings versus my 2002 Elantra & 92 Concours on my commute.
cruisin
just cruisin

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: '79 R80/7 '00 R1200C '00 R1100RT '00 R1100S
GPS: Fritch, Tx
Miles Typed: 457

My Photo Gallery

cruisin Texas--mostly between the fence rows ;)

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2013, 06:12:55 am »

I'd be interested in finding out about the fuel mileage.  It looks like a CanAm Spyder with a bubble on top.  I have two friends at work who have Spyders and they both report around 30mpg as their best mileage.

Parting out '97 & '98 R1100RT
FJRmgm

Reputation 15

Miles Typed: 1753

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2013, 12:34:51 pm »

I'd be interested in finding out about the fuel mileage.  It looks like a CanAm Spyder with a bubble on top.  I have two friends at work who have Spyders and they both report around 30mpg as their best mileage.

yeah, IMHO the Spyder gets terrible MPG...

But the concept looks good and interesting.  If they can keep the mpg, weight and price point they may have a hit with this one.

But not a car for the hot and humid south since it has no A/C...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:38:07 pm by FJRmgm » Logged
Justin

Reputation 58

Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6110

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2013, 12:38:23 pm »

yeah, IMHO the Spyder gets terrible MPG...

All aerodynamics. Just like motorcycles have terrible aerodynamics compared to cars, the Spyder will have terrible aerodynamics compared to the Elio.

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
FJR1300

Reputation 33

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: 2012 Honda CBR250
GPS: Jefferson City, MO
Miles Typed: 4614

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2013, 04:00:17 pm »

But not a car for the hot and humid south since it has no A/C...

Headscratch

A/C is standard according to the videos.

Scratch33

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, 2x'10
Motorcycles: '08 R1200GSA, '09 DD750, '07 F800S, '10 Madass 125
GPS: That Other Place
Miles Typed: 12394

My Photo Gallery

His Excellency's Car!

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2013, 10:41:07 am »

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/driving-a-work-in-progress-from-elio-motors/?_r=0

All Your Forum Are Belong to VS
Squareman357
ZX-14 Warg Rider

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: '06 ZX-14, '03 GS500F, '02 CBR1100XX (sold), '03 Suzuki Katana (sold), '08 ZX-14
GPS: Chicago, IL
Miles Typed: 2051

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2013, 11:40:38 am »

When driving something this vulnerable to anything, you need acceleration on your side.

Pick one up, get a wrecked ZX-14 with the engine intact, swap motors, and BLAMMO instant acceleration!  Lol
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal