Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: chain maintenance during LD ride  (Read 14052 times)

ScottSTR

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2012 Triumph Street Triple R
Miles Typed: 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2013, 11:04:59 pm »

i am planning my first SS1000 attempt during November, Dallas, TX area to Scottsdale, AZ.  I'm usually pretty good about chain cleaning and lubrication, every 500 miles or so.  Should I bring a can of chain lube with me?  By the time I get back home it will be up to 2500 miles total riding.  
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6110

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 11:46:13 pm »

Should I bring a can of chain lube with me? 

Yes.

If you don't have a chain oiler you will need to lube. What I do personally is quickly spray the portion of the chain I can see/get to every gas stop. Eventually it all gets lubed. If you make a mess, you can clean it later. If you have a center stand you can spray the whole thing quickly.

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
JTBubbler

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Triumph Tiger 1050
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 07:15:59 am »

Good luck with the ride. Have fun with it. You will be fine with a quick spray like you are planning.  Remember that dealers sell tiny cans usually.  No need to take the jumbo size!

Advertisement

Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 08:23:09 am »

You can but I wouldn't bother.  All the important lube is locked between the O/X rings.  You're not lubing that part anyway.  The only thing you're doing with your lube is keeping surface rust at bay.

I've gone 3-5,000 miles between chain cleanings many times on high quality chains and never suffered reduced chain life.   Shrug

That said, a SS1000 you'll have plenty of time to dilly dally and play with your chain.  Especially in the western states.

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
sammyseaman
AH3

Reputation 206

Motorcycles: 1 1/2
GPS: Grand River Valley
Miles Typed: 9855

My Photo Gallery

Владимир Константинов

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 09:31:29 am »

No replies from the "I'll never tour on a chain driven bike" guys? Weird

Sent from a very dark place using my telephone

"Warm them with your breath or in your hand then insert them to a comfortable depth." ~Mr. Black~
"Polar bears can't jump." ~black bear~
motormike

Reputation 31

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800FI
GPS: Mpls., Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1160

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 10:41:00 am »

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/motorcycles/range/roadsters/street-triple/2012/4792

The Street Triple R is not a subtle motorcycle. Itís a bike for those who like to take it to the max.

Bringing a can a lube is NOT taking it to the max.  Lol
DNA
At least it don't have VTEC

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '07 GSA , One empty stall in garage
GPS: Recalculating...
Miles Typed: 5271

My Photo Gallery

Old and full of Advil

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 11:24:58 am »

You can but I wouldn't bother.  All the important lube is locked between the O/X rings.  You're not lubing that part anyway.  The only thing you're doing with your lube is keeping surface rust at bay.

I've gone 3-5,000 miles between chain cleanings many times on high quality chains and never suffered reduced chain life.   Shrug

That said, a SS1000 you'll have plenty of time to dilly dally and play with your chain.  Especially in the western states.

This

1000-1500 mile days are fine - wipe it down and spray it when you get there to prep for the ride back.

I'd be more concerned about your Hydration plans  - and of course what type of oil you are planning to use.

I might as well learn to play tennis for all I'm riding...   IBA # 24,128 and still invinciblehttp://s71.photobucket.com/user/dnaseller/media/VisitedStatesMap_zpsac48168b.jpg.html
st2sam

Reputation 133

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 2014 Honda Valkyrie and 1993 Ducati 907ie
GPS: N.E. PA. aboard a flying Hippo.
Miles Typed: 1671

My Photo Gallery

Certified sport-TOURING wacko.......

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 08:21:34 pm »

C'mon guys, takes about two-three minutes to spray the chain every other gas stop. Bigok

Imo - and if it's raining spraying every gas stop wouldn't hurt.

Again, IMHO it's nice to have a little lube where the links meet the sprocket...

Change is good, but only for a while..
Honda makes the best "sport-TOURING" motorcycle, until I buy something else.......
Mr.Black

Reputation 152

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '08 GSF1250
GPS: 01543
Miles Typed: 18512

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 08:30:58 pm »

I lube the chain every three fuel stops. I give the chain a tap with the toe of my boot to check the tension every day.

Sig lines used to be fun.
Skee

Reputation 67

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '08 Wee, 2013 Connie
GPS: SE PA
Miles Typed: 1968

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 08:56:21 pm »

It's amazing how little maintenance a modern chain requires.

I'd rather be riding anywhere with you than sitting at this [email protected] keyboard.
et

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: '04 sv650s, '10 Griso
Miles Typed: 824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 09:06:34 pm »

When I was doing my coast-to-coast 3-week vacations on my gsrx750.
I was doing a minimum of 8,000 miles per trip.

And I found it was not distance that wore out chains.
Rather is was conditions of use. With high speed runs and rain doing the most damage.

So I lubed the chain every night. Using this quick stand:
http://www.aerostich.com/quick-stand.html

It's only called commuting if you are using four wheels; if you're using two wheels it's called riding.
Justin

Reputation 58

Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6110

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 02:42:29 am »

C'mon guys, takes about two-three minutes to spray the chain every other gas stop. Bigok

Again, IMHO it's nice to have a little lube where the links meet the sprocket...

Like I said above, I spray the visible portion every gas stop on a long ride. so eventually it is all getting lubed. But, keep in mind, I run aux fuel, so gas stops are usually at least 250-320 miles apart.

But yeah, lube is good for a chain. You can tell just from the mechanical noise coming from a lubed chain versus a dry chain, that it drastically helps with the metal on metal contact. Not to mention, that it keeps those seals moist that hold the precious lubricant inside the links.  

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
ScottSTR

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2012 Triumph Street Triple R
Miles Typed: 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 11:15:45 pm »

Thanks all for the input.  I'll probably bring a small can of lube, and will check out the Aerostich quick stand.
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 10:21:40 pm »

Yep it ain't rocket science

Although a Pro-Oiler would be advised if you plan on doing a lot of LD riding

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
jfman

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Versys 1000
Miles Typed: 92

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 01:04:05 pm »

Oil that sucker religiously. I learned the hard way on my 17k kms trip thru the states. One roller "froze" then fell, then a second, then a third  
NotDeadYet

Reputation 8

GPS: over yonder
Miles Typed: 231

My Photo Gallery

I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 04:23:27 pm »

While checking out the Quick Stand from Aerostich I ran across another option that looks even simpler to use.  I have ordered the Pack Jack and will keep it with my touring gear along with the always present small can of chain lube I have with me.  If I am ridiing with someone else I always lever the bike up onto the side stand to the point where the rear wheel spins freely and get my riding partner to spin the tire and lube the chain.  The pack jack looks like a perfect solution for when I'm on the road alone.  I wish I'd thought of it!!  It looks like one of those simple ideas that simply works!!  Check out pack jack at

www.packjack.ca

http://www.packjack.ca/images/black-bike.jpg

There is no next time, it's now or never.
Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 92

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1272

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 06:26:41 pm »

With a modern x/o-ring chain, the "lube" is to clean the grit off the outside to reduce external chain wear and chain:sprocket wear. Don't dismiss it it but also don't obsess. Getting an automatic oiler is what most LD riders do if they decide to stick with chain final drives.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
miles

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13032

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 02:37:32 am »

I'm with the "it ain't that big a deal" crowd on this one. Lube it well before the ride and then again afterwards.

When I do long multiple-day trips I lube the chain every couple of days, if I remember. Maybe every day if it's been rainy, but I certainly don't obsess over it. As has been pointed out, modern chains just don't need the attention that they did back in the olden days.

Three points where two lines meet
jfman

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Versys 1000
Miles Typed: 92

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 10:15:08 am »

On trips where you rack up and average of 5-600 miles a day or more, lube everyday and adjust ever couple of days. Do not deviate from this. Replacing a chain on vacation is not fun and can happen, even on a 4 month old bike.

Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 11:48:02 am »

On trips where you rack up and average of 5-600 miles a day or more, lube everyday and adjust ever couple of days. Do not deviate from this. Replacing a chain on vacation is not fun and can happen, even on a 4 month old bike.

Not trying to piss on your cornflakes, but if you need to adj the chain ever couple of days (600 mile day X 3 = 1800miles) Ya might consider buying a better chain and leaving it with a bit more slack.

Having an auto chain oiler is the option for the least hassle when on an LD ride if you run a chained bike.  Taking out the obstacles is keen to less stress.

I have used a Scott-oiler & Pro-Oiler kits as well as carried a can of lube. Each have their advantages and disadvantages.

The can of lube never hurts as a back up but for me I seem to not remember to lube the chain all too often.  I just don't like to have to do maintenance while on a IB LD ride, I would rather be making time than spending time fiddling with the bike.

Scott-oiler is simpler and is easy to set up, but does make a big mess (simple drip with no auto adjustment for speed)

Pro-Oiler is a bit more challenging to install (but not too bad) can be adjusted as you ride (rain/dust/sand/or dry) and varies the amount of oil on speed of the bike/chain. Also uses any kind of oil and a whole lot less than one might think.

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal