Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Thinking of a European Tour  (Read 3811 times)

chanster

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 05 FJR, 05 WeeStrom, 07 WeeStrom (Hers)
Miles Typed: 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2007, 06:19:54 pm »

My wife Lana just picked up a nice little 5 day vacation package in Florence. What a girl. We are thinking of extending the trip and doing some motorcycle touring while we are over there. Seems like the easiest way to do it (for us uni-lingual folks) would be with a touring company. I have heard good things about Eidelweiss, have any of you used them, or have another tour company that you like?

Thanks

Chan
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 12:05:20 am »

I have heard good things about Eidelweiss, have any of you used them, or have another tour company that you like?

I took an Edelweiss trip as my first foray into Europe in 1986.

While they are a bit expensive, it was worth it for me to have all the leg work done before I got there. The guides spoke German which was nice and the bikes were new BMWs. The apres-ride comraderie around the dinner table was fun as we recounted the day's adventure. I made some good friends and some I still keep in touch with.

In my opinion, it's a good way for a first-timer to get their feet wet without having the complications of finding a bike and whatnot.

RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3748

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 09:12:03 am »

Er, don't let "uni-lingual" worry you.  A phrase book, patience and courtesy and common sense, and a little luck will see you through.  Most folks speak at least a little English (and often more than "at least a little").  

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Advertisement

Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: a few!
GPS: Canada & Alps
Miles Typed: 1539

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 07:31:46 pm »

Er, don't let "uni-lingual" worry you.

Yeah, its amazing how many gas station attendants understand international sign language; the index finger pointed into the opening of a gas tank. Wink That was 1997. Now I get by quite well in Italian.

All the best,
Alex
More info on motorcycles, Euro and Alps touring can be found at my Edelweiss SmugMug site.
RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 09:01:38 pm »

However, some gestures are local and not as well known to folks from out of town.  For example, in many parts of Europe (and the UK) if you ask for two beers by holding up two fingers but your palm is toward you, you've just made (to use an Anglicism) "a rude gesture".  Twofinger OTOH, palm away from you and two fingers up will get you two of something at least.   Bigok

Ant
Resident PB&J Hater

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2015 GTR1400, 2006 Bandit 650, 1982 Bonneville T140E (in need of rennovation!)
GPS: Cotswolds, UK
Miles Typed: 3957

My Photo Gallery

Si non confectus, reficiat

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 12:58:40 pm »

However, some gestures are local and not as well known to folks from out of town.  For example, in many parts of Europe (and the UK) if you ask for two beers by holding up two fingers but your palm is toward you, you've just made (to use an Anglicism) "a rude gesture".  Twofinger OTOH, palm away from you and two fingers up will get you two of something at least.   Bigok

That is especially relevant in France... Yeah look at this you French, I've still got my fingers and got an arrow pointing right at you Razz
The two fingered gesture stemmed from Agincourt where captured Englishmen would have two of their fingers cut off so they couldn't fire a bow and arrow (English being the best archers and causing the French a right pain in the neck). The English would taunt the French demonstrating that there was no reason they couldn't shoot!

History lesson over, I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread  Bigsmile
RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 03:03:03 pm »

Cor!  Blimey!  I never knew that, guv'nor!  Straight up!   Lol

Ant
Resident PB&J Hater

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2015 GTR1400, 2006 Bandit 650, 1982 Bonneville T140E (in need of rennovation!)
GPS: Cotswolds, UK
Miles Typed: 3957

My Photo Gallery

Si non confectus, reficiat

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 04:16:38 pm »

Cor!  Blimey!  I never knew that, guv'nor!  Straight up!   Lol

Twofinger
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 11:07:53 pm »

Who can forget Barry Sheene showing Kenny Roberts two fingers in midst of the 1979 British Grand Prix?

a right donnybrook, that was  Bigsmile

Snowdog
Token Limey

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: '02 Triumph Sprint ST
GPS: London
Miles Typed: 418

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 06:25:04 am »

Er, don't let "uni-lingual" worry you.  A phrase book, patience and courtesy and common sense, and a little luck will see you through.  Most folks speak at least a little English (and often more than "at least a little").  

Its always best to make an effort in the local language - it'll be appreciated and chances are you'll be answered in English and you'll be OK then. Start in English and it'll be seen as arrogance, you'll likely get a reply in French or whatever and your screwed.

How much language you need depends on where you're going. Away from the usual tourist areas people are less likely to speak any English.

Who can forget Barry Sheene showing Kenny Roberts two fingers in midst of the 1979 British Grand Prix?

Just another reason why Sheene was my hero. Bigsmile
RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 07:30:07 am »

Yes, trying the local language is usually appreciated, although there are some potential pitfalls is doing so.  My point was, and is, not to let the issue of language get in the way of thinking about or taking a trip in an area where, literally, the local language varies all over the map.  And that English is (to mangle a metaphor) the "lingua franca" of Europe (and much of the world, for that matter).  Do I think speaking only English is, per se, considered arrogant?  Not at all - it's not so much what is said so much as how it's said.   Smile

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal