Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Thinking of buying an RT  (Read 12311 times)

b quark

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: Triumph Speed Triple R, Bonneville, and Moto Guzzi Norge GT 8V
GPS: Philadelphia PA
Miles Typed: 96

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2013, 03:07:28 pm »

Hi everyone,

I have new bike-itis, and have been looking at a number of different possibilities.  In particular, I'm looking for something a little better suited to distance.  Don't get me wrong, I love my Sprint.  But it doesn't love me back.  About 100-150 miles is all I can do on it.  Back & left knee say that's it.  So, starting to look around...

I took an R1200RT for a test ride a few weeks ago, and really enjoyed it!  Comfortable and very easy to ride.  It felt like I could head for the next state or 3 over that afternoon.  And I enjoyed the gadgets and creature comforts far more than I thought I would -- I felt like a kid with that electric windscreen.  Plus the seat is comfortable.  Really comfortable.  And the bars are in the right position for me -- something I can't say about many bikes.  And that's stock!  Win.

So it's looking pretty positive.   What I'm wondering is what should one keep in mind, especially buying used?  Here are some things I've read / heard.  Anything to add to the list?  Anything that's just plain wrong?

The list, in some categories:

Specs / technical:
  • R1200RT has 15% more hp and is 44 lbs lighter than the R1150RT. At least on paper, this says get the 1200 as it's a better bike
  • '05 & '06 have servo-assisted brakes, '07 onward do not.  Both versions work fine.  Even without power the servo-assisted brakes work (just require more force).  But that's more to service on the '05 & '06, so get an '07 or newer
  • The water cooled engine will be in the RT next year (2014), so wait if that's important to you
  • In 2010 they revised engine:  same horsepower, more torque (88 foot-pounds), and a slightly higher red line @8500.  Also slightly different body work.  Anything else?
  • Ohlins make a nice set of upgraded shocks.  Ok that's true on almost any bike.  But, you lose the ESA.  ESA replacement shocks are expensive

Service / Bring More Wallet:

Character:
  • The gyroscopic lurch to the right upon revving -- you get used to it, and it can even be a charming quirk
  • Telelever front end can feel isolating from the road for some riders; others prefer it
  • It's faster in the curves than you might think
  • People who own them generally love them
  • One of the best bikes available for balancing comfortable long-distance ability with nice handling in the curves
  • For a long distance road-worthy bike, it's relatively light.

Anything else to keep in mind?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:24:31 pm by b quark » Logged

Current:  Triumph Street Triple RS, Moto Guzzi Norge
Former:  Triumph Speed Triple R, Bonneville, Sprint RS 955i, Tiger 800, Speedmaster, HD Street Glide
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Max Wedge
Engineering Pathologist

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS '06 YZ250F
GPS: The mitten in Region 4
Miles Typed: 2460

My Photo Gallery

Sport-Mowing.net

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 03:30:48 pm »

2010 went up in claimed HP, IIRC. Mid 2010 got a vent for the final drive. You also lose the locknut and adjuster valve maintenance, but I have yet to need a shim @ 35k miles.

24k service was no more than $40 dollars more than any other service. Dealer said 36K will be the same deal.

2014 valve adjust intervals are going to 12k I hear.

I got a better deal financing through a credit union on a BMW than I could have gotten from the big 4.

Resale value (especially with higher mileage) may be better.

Other than that, I think you have done your homework....Get out there and SPEND!
b quark

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 03:35:14 pm »

Max Wedge,

Thank you! 

And really good to know about the service costs, if I go that route.

Great point about the financing... I recall someone pointing out that the time to discuss financing a purchase is before you ever walk into a showroom.

cheers!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:04:30 pm by b quark » Logged

Former:  Triumph Speed Triple R, Bonneville, Sprint RS 955i, Tiger 800, Speedmaster, HD Street Glide
Advertisement

still kickin

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: Honda CBR600RR & BMW F800ST
Miles Typed: 205

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 03:35:38 pm »

Register on BMWSporttouring.com also. I great group of BMW nuts. They will offer a lot of help. They will also mention Tech Days.. Lots of good stuff. Don't be shy and post your request for advice.. Good luck..
b quark

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 03:48:23 pm »

Register on BMWSporttouring.com also. I great group of BMW nuts. They will offer a lot of help. They will also mention Tech Days.. Lots of good stuff. Don't be shy and post your request for advice.. Good luck..

I just took a look - looks like a great site, thanks for the tip!

james_g

Reputation 21

Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia Tuono
GPS: San Diego, Ca
Miles Typed: 476

My Photo Gallery

My bike is more fun than yours!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 04:04:15 pm »

Services are stupidly easy to do yourself. The first one requires patience to learn but after that it's stupidly easy. If ease of maintenance was high on my list then I wouldn't buy anything besides a boxer BMW. Motors are tough as nails too but you do need to torque things correctly.

james

...a Japanese manufacturer might take the motor, castrate it to about 110 hp and stick it in a cheaper, heavier chassis with low-spec suspension and brakes and slice an ‘R’ or two off the name. That’s not how Aprilia roll
tnt

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: BMW 04 R1150RT
GPS: Gillette,Wyoming
Miles Typed: 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 05:11:45 pm »

Thumbsup Thumbsup

Ride Safe /  Richard
Max Wedge
Engineering Pathologist

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS '06 YZ250F
GPS: The mitten in Region 4
Miles Typed: 2460

My Photo Gallery

Sport-Mowing.net

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 05:59:37 pm »

Services are stupidly easy to do yourself. The first one requires patience to learn but after that it's stupidly easy. If ease of maintenance was high on my list then I wouldn't buy anything besides a boxer BMW. Motors are tough as nails too but you do need to torque things correctly.

james

True also.
b quark

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 06:35:34 pm »

james

Hmmm, recommendations like this might get me to try this myself...

Thanks!

cruisin
just cruisin

Reputation 17

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: '79 R80/7 '00 R1200C '00 R1100RT '00 R1100S
GPS: Fritch, Tx
Miles Typed: 457

My Photo Gallery

cruisin Texas--mostly between the fence rows ;)

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 06:49:32 pm »

since you are already a Triumph guy, one word Trophy.

If I get financially able it will be my first choice over any of the beemers.  And I'm a pretty hard-core boxer fan.

Parting out '97 & '98 R1100RT
Stripes
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: Triumph, Ducati, BMW
GPS: On the water
Miles Typed: 4519

My Photo Gallery

I'm on a boat!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 08:16:10 pm »

I too am a Triumph guy! Go demo a new Trophy... chances are you'll stick w/ your gut or 1st choice, the RT.

"We all should aspire once in life to date a psychotic nymphomaniac, no matter what the aftermath."
b quark

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 10:21:17 pm »

since you are already a Triumph guy, one word Trophy.

If I get financially able it will be my first choice over any of the beemers.  And I'm a pretty hard-core boxer fan.

Thanks.   I have thought about the Trophy.  It's certainly big 'n' comfy and gets good reviews in the comparison tests.

I want to like it.  What turns me off a bit is the extra ~100 lbs and the extra $8k or so because I'd have to buy new.

But, worth a test ride at least!

b quark

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 10:22:32 pm »

I too am a Triumph guy! Go demo a new Trophy... chances are you'll stick w/ your gut or 1st choice, the RT.

Thanks, Stripes, I may just do that.  And I bet you're right.  But, I tell myself one should keep an open mind and all that...

RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3748

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 11:01:08 pm »

FWIW, think about heading to Hermy's in Port Clinton. It's a long walk from Philadelphia (get to the PA Turnpike and go north to Allentown, go west on 22, and head north on 61. About 5 miles up you'll see Hermy's signs on the left. Turn left at the street before Hermy's, turn right and head up the gravel "bikes only" trail to the parking in front (cars stay in back of the shop - take the marked back door up to the show room). Hermy's handles BMW and Triumph, and there are excellent roads for test rides (hint: ask how to get to Hawk Mountain).

Hermy's is good people and well worth the effort to get there. I use them even though another dealer is about 10 miles from here - 'nuff said.

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Stripes
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: Triumph, Ducati, BMW
GPS: On the water
Miles Typed: 4519

My Photo Gallery

I'm on a boat!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 11:11:20 pm »

But, I tell myself one should keep an open mind and all that...

Oh absolutely!   Thumbsup  that was just my $0.02!

"We all should aspire once in life to date a psychotic nymphomaniac, no matter what the aftermath."
b quark

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 04:33:56 pm »

FWIW, think about heading to Hermy's in Port Clinton. It's a long walk from Philadelphia (get to the PA Turnpike and go north to Allentown, go west on 22, and head north on 61. About 5 miles up you'll see Hermy's signs on the left. Turn left at the street before Hermy's, turn right and head up the gravel "bikes only" trail to the parking in front (cars stay in back of the shop - take the marked back door up to the show room). Hermy's handles BMW and Triumph, and there are excellent roads for test rides (hint: ask how to get to Hawk Mountain).

Hermy's is good people and well worth the effort to get there. I use them even though another dealer is about 10 miles from here - 'nuff said.

Thanks!  I've heard good things about Hermy's but have yet to make it up there.  Definitely on the list now!

RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3748

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 10:17:03 pm »

Indeed. I'll be there tomorrow. My wallet will, most likely, still be there when I leave.  Lol

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 11:47:57 pm »

RT is a great bike and on my list to own.  Unfortunately a few of the Region 4 regulars have had problems with their 2010 models that would have stranded them.  That gives me pause, but when the bike is functional, I can't think of another better balanced sport tourer.  There are sportier options and there are more comfortable options, but this bike is a killer combination of the two.
b quark

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 03:23:35 pm »

Indeed. I'll be there tomorrow. My wallet will, most likely, still be there when I leave.  Lol

No chance to play hooky from work today for me... but do let us know what transpires!  Especially if you end up leaving a large portion of your wallet behind in exchange for something fun in today's sun...

b quark

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 03:25:39 pm »

RT is a great bike and on my list to own.  Unfortunately a few of the Region 4 regulars have had problems with their 2010 models that would have stranded them.  That gives me pause, but when the bike is functional, I can't think of another better balanced sport tourer.  There are sportier options and there are more comfortable options, but this bike is a killer combination of the two.

Thanks, good input.  I appreciate it.

Hmmm, '07-'09 are looking even better - especially since they're cheaper on the used market, too.  Who needs an extra 3 ft-lbs, anyway?  Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal