Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Vfr800 vtec engine rattle??????  (Read 8947 times)

Ted31

Reputation 0

Miles Typed: 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2013, 08:17:55 pm »

Hey folks,

I own a '04 vfr800 vtec, 38k on the clock. I recently had a rattle coming from my clutch and in order to sell the bike, decided to get the rattle fixed. It only happened in neutral with the clutch lever released, as soon as the lever was pulled in it would purr like a kitten. Turned out the clutch pressure plate bearing was gone so the mech replaced this. While in there, he had a look at the needle bearing and this was fine. He said the springs at the back of the clutch basket were a bit loose so he bent in the metal wings (best way to describe them) and this apparently secured them a bit better.

When I picked up the bike, the clutch rattle was completely gone but over the next couple of days I noticed there was a new rattle which seemed to be coming from the engine (nothing changed when pulling in the clutch lever) and rattle increases and decreases with engine rpm.

I brought it back to the mechanic and they said it sounds like the CCTs were gone, which having had pathos before, it did sound like it.

Now, I've replaced both CCTs since and this has definitely helped reduce the rattle but its far from quiet. The biggest difference was when the fwd cct was replaced.

The knocking noise is most evident when sitting still, bike in gear, break on and edge the clutch out. As the revs drop, there is a proper rattle.

As i dont fancy going to my mechanic with a blank cheque my questions are

Has anyone had this before?
What was the fix?
Does the cam chain ever need to be replaced as opposed to the tensioner?
What noise does the engine make when the valves need to be done?

Any help on this would be great as I feel it'll be a pricey fix so don't fancy going down the wrong road of investigation to find I've paid out big cash for nothing.

Thanks guys in advance
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Havagan

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 2002 VFR, 2006 FZ1
Miles Typed: 86

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 09:47:13 am »

Try a different oil. With the Honda oil my CCTs rattled. I threw some Rotella T6 in and did some high RPM speed runs and it's been quiet since.

Fat AND slow!
Ted31

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 10:45:37 am »

Hi Havagan,

I've already replaced the oil but as its the cheapest option, I might try it again.  

Not too confident I got the best oil last time around. I'm not much of an oil guru so asked in the shop if the 10w40 they had was synth or semi synth. I was told all 10w40 is semi. Having googled it since, I've come to the conclusion the person hasn't a breeze what they were on about.

Fingers crossed this does the job
Advertisement

motormike

Reputation 31

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800FI
GPS: Mpls., Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1160

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 10:47:07 am »

It only happened in neutral with the clutch lever released, as soon as the lever was pulled in it would purr like a kitten

I've experienced this a little bit, but mine is a 2001 VFR with only 6,000 miles.  I'm not very mechanical so I'm not sure what this is and haven't really bothered to inquire what may be gonig on.  I've owned my 5th Gen VFR less than one year.  Maybe next time I bring it in for service, I'll ask them about it.

I'm not much help but decided to add a comment anyways since I think I might have an similar experience.
Hotbrakes

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: KTM SMT, Super Duke R, RC51, F800S, 300XC
GPS: Beaverdam, VA
Miles Typed: 848

My Photo Gallery

Responsibly Irresponsible

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 10:55:05 am »

CCT's definitely make a racket at mid-rpms, if you replaced them and the engine is quieter, perhaps what you are hearing is just...the engine?

Kneescrubber
King of the 90 flat turn

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: '99 Honda VFR, '73 BMW R75/5
GPS: The western U.S. is strewn with paper maps I've lost from my tankbag.
Miles Typed: 3787

My Photo Gallery

Just a little more

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 01:41:14 pm »

It only happened in neutral with the clutch lever released, as soon as the lever was pulled in it would purr like a kitten.

I would've left it as is and changed the stickers to Ducati.  Lol

I'm on ST.N so its not like I'm a productive member of society anyway.   DogBoy
It's the internet.  It runs on drama.    Cablebandit
The difference between fiction and reality is fiction has to be believable.  Tom Clancy
Ted31

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 01:48:26 pm »

Ha ha. Well it is a red one!! Might check how much the Ducati decals are on eBay and flog the bike for a couple of grand more Wink
Ted31

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 04:00:34 pm »

Right, oil change complete and had a good long run. Unfortunately i've to report it's nil fix. The rattle's still there so I think I'm going to have to spend a bit of cash if I'm to get this fixed.

If anyone else has had a similar experience, any pointers on where to start trouble shooting would be great as I don't fancy throwing money at nothing and getting nowhere.

For info, I don't have a garage so labour costs would need to be taken into account for cost of further work.

Cheers
jimmy

Reputation 29

Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
GPS: Hamilton, ON Canada
Miles Typed: 590

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 09:09:53 pm »

With these videos....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYnO_T5jQX0

and this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqnfSOyqhM0

...I made mine nice and quiet.  On the VFR all you need to do is pull the seat and prop the tank like the manual says.

The only thing I did differently was that I retracted the tensioner with my screwdriver, and then pulled out the screwdriver to let the tensioner "snap" back into position under it's own spring tension, rather than turning the tensioner in.

My noise, as with most, was from the front cylinder, but I did do both to be safe.

This is well known issue with 6'th generation VFR's, and Honda cct's in general.

Good luck!
Ted31

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 12:08:40 pm »

Woohoo SUCCESS!!!!!  

Thanks Jimmy for that. When I replaced the cct's I had let them snap into place and as that didn't solve the problem I had ruled them out as the problem.

I wound out the front, snapped it back into place and wound it in further. Brought it for a spin but it had had no effect. Did the same for the rear one and Halelulia!

The engine now sounds normal again and not like a damn Diesel engine anymore!

Thanks to all of you for your input and suggestions
jimmy

Reputation 29

Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
GPS: Hamilton, ON Canada
Miles Typed: 590

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 03:01:09 pm »

Thumbsup
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 03:22:37 pm »

I don't have any rattles on mine but I'll have to check that video out.

Rogue
RodRides

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 04 & 06 VFR, 08 Sprint ST, 05 R1200GS
Miles Typed: 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2020, 11:17:06 am »

Cam Chain Tensioner springs can be re-tensioned.  Saves buying new ones if done properly and the tensioner springs look good.  See Video

https://youtu.be/UuYjv1t-pn8

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal