Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: New Bike Question  (Read 4059 times)

Allroads

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Triumph
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2013, 10:00:23 pm »

I've been riding two years and have spent most of my time on a 2012 Bonneville. I have upgraded the Bonnie with gold valve emulators and Ohlins in back. I am not saying I have pushed it to its furthest limits but I have decided that I want something with sportier handling so have been considering a switch to an SV650 pr 650R my question is do these bikes have better handling potential than. The Bonnie? I don't mind similar suspension upgrades like those I have already done. I am fine with the current hp and those bikes seem to be on par. I guess what I'm really wondering is does the more modern frame design of the SV or R noticeably outshine the "old school" design of the Bonneville?
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Blunder
The 10th Reindeer

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: '01 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Reno, NV
Miles Typed: 7785

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 11:24:00 pm »

With modern motorcycles you don't have to worry about things like frame stiffness and built-in "hinges". Both the SV and Bonnie are moderately powered machines with perfectly good frames and the suspension mods you've mentioned are about all you need do to make things better provided they're set up correctly.

The only issue I can think of is ground clearance. You can get rearsets for both bikes,  but as there are more SV racers than Bonnie's, the aftermarket for racy bits is probably far bigger and more varied.

When you come to a fork in the road, lick the spoon.
M.Brane
Owner of many Vs

Reputation 4

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: 2 VFRs & a GTS
GPS: 1 hr N/W of LA LA Land
Miles Typed: 2850

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 11:54:33 pm »

One need only look at the progression of race oriented bikes over the last 30 years to see where "old school" designs are lacking. Compare that to your ability, and riding style.

Can you ride fast on a tube cradle frame? Absolutely. Will it be a lot more work than riding a modern trellis or perimeter frame bike fast? Of course it will. Is that the bike for you? Only riding it will tell.

I can tell you I'd rather ride a V or boxer powered bike than a parallel or inline regardless of frame config.

Singles are another matter entirely.
Advertisement

freecatSV
Confusing the Youth of North Carolina

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '93 VX800, '13 Tiger 800
GPS: Sylva, NC
Miles Typed: 158

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 09:23:51 pm »

Yes an SV handles better than a Bonnie, mainly because of the weight and steering geometry. The SV's stock suspension isn't great, but compliance != handling. The frame is almost certainly stiffer, but I don't know how much difference that makes. The Bonnie is certainly good enough to be fun on a twisty road. The SV has a completely different engine character, too. It begs to be ridden hard.

But if you want a sportier, better-handling bike, why not trade in that Bonnie on a Street Triple R? Then you get fully adjustable suspension, more power, less weight, and better brakes with ABS. Are you considering and SV/Ninja 650 because they'd be roughly an even trade? Depending on year, you'd get significant cash back on a trade for an SV.

"Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity. They seem more afraid of life than death."
James F. Byrnes
 http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc131/freecat500/ALAZARCACOCT
GRN
That's not vibration, it's SOUL...

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: '10 KLX250S, '14 R12RT, and whatever I happen to ride home :)
GPS: Charlotte, NC
Miles Typed: 1426

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 02:02:56 am »

But if you want a sportier, better-handling bike, why not trade in that Bonnie on a Street Triple R? Then you get fully adjustable suspension, more power, less weight, and better brakes with ABS.  

Withstupid

Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at itů
coucours grad

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: 2008 ST1300
GPS: Covington GA
Miles Typed: 407

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 08:36:02 am »

Withstupid

Withstupid

quote author=Mrs. DantesDame   Polishing the turd does not make it any less of a turd  Rolleyes
Papa Lazarou

Reputation 61

Years Contributed: '09
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Sussex
Miles Typed: 9253

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 08:47:34 am »

Withstupid

Withstupid

or a Speed Triple...

The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead
Stripes
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: Triumph
GPS: On the water
Miles Typed: 4505

My Photo Gallery

I'm on a boat!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 09:33:38 am »

Withstupid

Withstupid

Or a Daytona 675.

"We all should aspire once in life to date a psychotic nymphomaniac, no matter what the aftermath."
coucours grad

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: 2008 ST1300
GPS: Covington GA
Miles Typed: 407

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 09:46:32 am »

You wont like the Rocket....Or maybe you will!!!!???!!!

quote author=Mrs. DantesDame   Polishing the turd does not make it any less of a turd  Rolleyes
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Miles Typed: 13728

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 10:18:58 am »

I have the SV-derived SVF650 in the garage (my wife's bike - it's for sale in the classifieds!) and it is a pretty sweet handling bike.  The more aggressive steering geometry, sportier riding position, and gutsier engine distinguish it from the Bonnies that I have ridden, which feel a bit more relaxed and less focused.  It can be pushed harder than a Bonnie.

I had a Street Triple R for two years.  That stood a head above the SVF650 in terms of handling, suspension, and engine performance.  They are very close to each other in terms of intent and focus, but differ in degree.  The Street Triple R is a very sharp handling bike.  With suspension upgrades, the SVF650 could be very close to that in handling.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal