Poll
Question: When riding in a group, in what position do you best like to ride?
Front man. - 25 (12%)
Middle of the pack, close to the front. - 36 (17.2%)
Middle of the pack, close to the back. - 15 (7.2%)
Last guy. - 60 (28.7%)
It doesn't matter to me. - 19 (9.1%)
It depends on too many things. - 54 (25.8%)
Total Voters: 200

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Your group riding sequence.  (Read 11048 times)

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15423

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 05:43:04 pm »

Front man for me, unless Dante is leading, then I hang back and enjoy the view... of the road scenery I mean...   Bigok

Lol

I often been volunteered to lead the group which is ok, but more stressful than if I was just riding solo or as tailgunner. As leader I try to pick a decent pace and know that I'm front man for any radar that may come over the hill  Crazy  And sometimes it's fun to follow 'cause then I can critique other riders, or if they're good, they can teach me a thing or two about taking corners (bizarro comes immediately to mind on this last one)  Bigsmile

I generally move around within a day's ride, changing positions after gas stops, etc, to get a different view of the ride  Thumbsup

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Mike-H

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: KTM 530 EXC, YAMAHA XT250, HONDA CB1100F, DUCATI 900SS FE, YAMAHA FJR 1300
GPS: Ontario, Canada
Miles Typed: 3304

My Photo Gallery

Aspiring back to a dirt donk

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2007, 01:17:39 am »

I always ride sweep.....mind you my idea of a group ride is between 3-5 bikes max....tends to cut down on the leo looks.....

"Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, & his many accomplishments - still owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil & the fact that it rains".... Anonym
timmybob4
'06 Honda ST1300A

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2006 Honda ST1300a
GPS: Southern Indiana
Miles Typed: 245

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 04:49:02 pm »

I voted "It depends on too many things."

Factors: Familiarity with the other riders and the route, the number of riders, and even who is in the group. I sometimes ride with a gent on a BMW who is excellent at setting the pace. When he's along I like to be second in the group. If he's not along it does not matter what position I'm in if the group is small and comprised of those I have ridden with before. If I'm with unfamiliar riders I definitely prefer to bring up the rear and grant the rider in front of me plenty of space.

I believe I am safer riding in a group of 2 to 4 motorcycles than I am when riding solo. (If the riders are good riders and know how to ride in a group, of course.)
Advertisement

denydog
Ready to Ride! (as long as it's not raining)

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 1982 Suzuki GS 1100E - BMW K1200R Sport - Barb's Suzuki GS500
GPS: Near Seattle Wa
Miles Typed: 1772

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 08:45:48 pm »

I generally move around within a day's ride, changing positions after gas stops, etc, to get a different view of the ride  Thumbsup

I'll go along with that.  For me, after a stop, it just depends on how we end up parked, and how the group happens to pull out.  Actually kind of boring in the same spot all day.
ombrophobe

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 1991 VFR750
GPS: Huntington Beach, CA
Miles Typed: 12

My Photo Gallery

Ombrophobia? Fear of rain.

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007, 11:06:26 pm »

Riding on a deferral and probation so further back will have to do until those clear.  The later chunk is fine if I can hang back in the straights and take the corners with good speed.  I only fear I freak out the rider directly in front of me when I roll up close.

Knowing the way is also key.  If the leader is doing weird on the route I will take it.

When I am going around 8/10 pace those that want to go faster are a**holes and those that go slower are idiots.

Great topic...

From this past weekend...
Both Dinolee and Dante have shown to be good pace setters for me.  I think Dinolee is very conscious of the group and Dante is just a little edgy.  I like the variety.
chiltech500

Reputation 11

GPS: Allentown Area PA
Miles Typed: 323

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2007, 07:03:01 am »

Great topic.

Being a good leader somes has too many "reponsibilities" though am frequently in that position because I know the route or when my wife rides her bike in the group ( I couldn't bear to watch her have an accident from behind).

I watched a buddy go down when a m.f. with a pickup and a LONG trailer decided to take a left turn in front of us - then froze and blocked both sides of the road with no escape. I was in the middle of 4 good riders and only the point man took the hit.

Generally I'm only comfortable in the middle when surrounded by good riders, but like many said before, it's great to follow good riders to watch and learn

FZ1, 1800 GoldWing, Mean Streak, SV650, VL1500, Vstar1100, etc.
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15423

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2007, 06:27:59 pm »

From this past weekend...
Both Dinolee and Dante have shown to be good pace setters for me.  I think Dinolee is very conscious of the group and Dante is just a little edgy.  I like the variety.

Oooooo - I don't think I've ever been called "edgy" before  Chili  Cool

Um, is this a good thing? Shrug

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
ombrophobe

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 1991 VFR750
GPS: Huntington Beach, CA
Miles Typed: 12

My Photo Gallery

Ombrophobia? Fear of rain.

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2007, 11:11:03 pm »

Oooooo - I don't think I've ever been called "edgy" before  Chili  Cool

Um, is this a good thing? Shrug

Edgy is ambiguous... but it seemed to fit at the time.

You ride fast but controlled.  Not to fast and not too slow, right on the edge.
Ant
Resident PB&J Hater

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2015 GTR1400, 2006 Bandit 650, 1982 Bonneville T140E (in need of rennovation!)
GPS: Cotswolds, UK
Miles Typed: 3957

My Photo Gallery

Si non confectus, reficiat

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2007, 05:04:40 am »

I prefer the sweeper position, means I can ride as leisurely as I want and I don't get the urge to ride like a bat out of hell (which I don't do anyway of course).
I've never ridden in a group however, I don't think 2 bikes constitute a group really!
If I was in a bigger group I like the idea that at the back I'm always around to stop if someone ahead of me has a problem and is forced to pull over while the lead group carries on oblivious. No one point out what would happen if I had a problem, I don;'t think about things like that (such as wasps flying into my jacket and stinging me 6 times while I'm doing 70mph around some twisties in the countryside with no where to pull over.... that was a fun time)
evilmedic13
Fantastic and sarcastic!

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: FJR1300,R1200GS Advenure
Miles Typed: 894

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2007, 05:01:52 am »

If I ride in a group, Im usually the only medic so I take the back, I've never been needed but ya never know. Also, I don't consider myself as skilled as most riders ,so I'm most at ease back there, not having to worry about being rear ended while hard braking. That's my worst fear on those rides.

Y.B Slo

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: Yes
Miles Typed: 103

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2007, 08:16:19 pm »

I don't care!! I'll lead, I'll follow, I'll ride in the middle.
gradus

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2010 Street Triple R
Miles Typed: 961

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2007, 02:37:04 pm »

Our rides are typically 'ride your own pace and see you at the turns.'  I frequently lead since I prefer a faster pace.  

But any time I can ride behind a faster rider, I'm all for it.  Get to watch their lines for a while, but if they leave me I won't push to keep up.      
Farked Up
SuperStrom 650

Reputation 11

Miles Typed: 116

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2007, 11:03:35 pm »

I don't do groups!  Thumbsdown
ERR

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '05 955i Daytona, '07 675 Daytona, '08 Super Duke
GPS: Exit 8, NJ
Miles Typed: 493

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2007, 09:50:27 pm »

I like anything near the back, sweep is best. That way I can poke along with a gap in front of me waiting for a nice curve to catch up with the group.

"Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it." HH The Dali Lama

"Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others t
windsorgreen1

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: kawi conk
GPS: NE Pennsylvania
Miles Typed: 587

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2007, 09:17:57 am »

Depends mostly on who is riding. Most of the time I'll wait to see who is riding where & stay away from those who scare me. I'm rarely a ride leader
Busy Little Whiner

Reputation -1476

Years Contributed: Nothing but complaints
Years Supported: Nothing but complaints
Miles Typed: 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2007, 03:08:29 am »

No matter where I start within a group I look for opportunities to migrate to the front... however my favorite position to start with in the group is the #2 position... but if the leader make a mistake like brake for corners I'll assume the lead usually at the entrance at the next corner...    
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 03:41:05 am by Busy Little Shop » Logged
Jeff N

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2007, 03:52:45 am »

I don't ride in groups anymore, seeing as I've moved away from my riding buddies that I'd ridden with for almost 20 years. Back then there was no hierarchy, per se, but we were all so comfortable together that whomever was having a good day would lead and the others would follow. The group could number between 2 to 12, but we all trusted each other, or at least were familiar enough with an individual's riding, that we knew how to behave.

When I moved up here I tried riding with people in group rides but it always turned into the dog's breakfast unless I rode my ass off to stay in front and a lot of times that was not fun nor safe--and riding amongst complete strangers was an exercise in futility and too many close calls.
ST-DocLizard1
Serial Monogamist

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '04 ST1300A, '03 CB900F3, '92 CBR600F2, '82 GL1100, '81 CB750FE
GPS: Hampton, N.J.
Miles Typed: 1708

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2007, 03:21:33 pm »

My preferences are in the following order:

Pace: I don't mind leading and it would be my first choice.
Sweep: Being last has its advantages and responsibilities.
Space: Second is great, but only if you have a good leader you can trust.

Member of the pack: not my favorite especially in a group of riders that you don't know.

Doc

Friends Don't Let Friends Early Apex.
rodm850g
1 of vocal minority

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 79 GS 850 GN,,99 VFR800Fi ,04 ST1300A,'17 Triumph Tiger XCX, 22 Suzi DR650
Miles Typed: 285

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2007, 07:41:40 am »

Guys,
My riding group has been riding together for  from 10-25 years together....Whether lead, following...dont make no matter mind....I know what the one in front of me is usually going to do...its that consistant...I prefer not to be last man cause he is prolly going to be the one the LEO is gonna get.....At ESTN07 we did a slow-poke ride down the BRP and it was with folks I had never ridden with....and they rode well! I was a joy to ride the parkway at a pace that was sane......OK thats my .02....If I am up front that will give me leeway in deciding whether or not ahul arse too...the last option was a good one too...
Rod

enough of this talking/typing crap I'm going riding
Desmo Demon

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2007, 07:53:13 am »

Many things.....

1) front - If I know the road better than the others and/or am one of the fastest riders
2) middle of the pack - If there are guys that know the road better or are faster and there are others that are slower or don't know the road as well as I do.....sometimes I will adjust my position in the group as I am able to evaluate the riders in front and behind me.
3) back - If I am the slowest in the group, just want to cruise, or I am babysitting a new rider........I often call the last rider in a group the "clean-up crew".
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal