DosEquis00

Reputation 220

Motorcycles: 00 Blackbird, 08 C14
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 2966

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2016, 12:53:12 pm »

Look at you getting all fancy....congratulations Alex.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2009 BMW K1200LT (trunkless)
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 1873

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2016, 10:29:27 am »

Now if they only made the Scram. kit retroactive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkF

new bike - BMW K1200LT & old bikes - BMW R1150GS, Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Yammie TW200, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2016, 03:11:17 pm »

Alex, I'm curious.  I know you've had a few Triumphs in the past.  Did you look at the new Thruxton R?  It's pushing a lot of the right buttons for me.  

While I'm not going to pull the trigger on either, I did test ride an R nine-T a while back and just loved it.  So, I have played though the mental game of what-if and believe it would difficult for me to not get the new Thruxton R.  I'd love to know if you tested it and what your thoughts are on the bike.  

Thanks.
Advertisement

Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2016, 08:23:24 am »

I sat on a new 1200cc Thruxton, but did not test ride one.  It feels generally smaller and thinner, with lower bars.  The Ohlins on the Thruxton-R is very likely better than the NineT supsension.  Also, the Triumph has more tech, with ride-by-wire and traction control.  Surprisingly the Triumph, despite being liquid cooled, produces less torque than the brawny oil/air-cooled boxer twin.  Further NineT advantage: stock Akropovic (sounds awesome), shaft drive, and one gallon more fuel on board.  The Thrux is likely more refined in engine where the BMW feels raw (in a good way).

For me, the BMW dealer is along my commute to work, where the Triumph dealer is nearly an hour away.  Also, after having 4 Triumphs in a row, it was time to brexit the brand and try something new.  IMO the NineT, particularly with the brushed aluminum tank option, spanks the Thruxton in the looks dept alone.  It is a modern work of art where the Thruxton definitely looks like a reproduction of a past work.

And that very modern philosophy that explains the Thruxton’s ultra-refined engine and ride modes is precisely where it splits from the RnineT. Forget for a minute the minor variations in the Brembo brakes (the BMW’s are stronger) and the transmissions (the Triumph’s is more precise) and the multitude of other little topics on which these two motorcycles differ. Both are capable, entertaining, high-quality pieces of equipment: It’s the attitude that separates them.

The Thruxton R is a civil, English gentleman. His hair is just so, tie always straight. There is muscle to flex when goaded, but the response in the end will always be a tilt of the head and a hand gesture downward with palms facing the floor. “Steady on, old chap.” The RnineT, however, never wants to calm down. In a drag race the two are dead even, but the nineT feels more strained and raucous when stretching its legs. Blip the throttle at a stoplight and it twists quickly and snorts, like a steed shaking a fly off its ear. That connection to the animal inside the mechanism is where these two are the most different.

quote from http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/bmw-rninet-vs-triumph-thruxton-r#page-16

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2016, 08:29:12 am »

it was time to brexit the brand and try something new.  

Lol

That's rich.  

Thanks for the feedback.  Given ergonomics, fuel capacity, etc... if you're going to have one bike the NineT would be high on the list.  Perhaps if it were a second bike, the Thruxton R could start to make more sense.  

My local BMW dealer had a left over demo bike they were selling for under 11.  I kept trying to avoid eye contact with it.  Lol
Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2016, 09:03:14 am »

Oh that that sounds like a good deal on a NineT!   Inlove

In my test riding experience, the bike that reminds me most of the NineT is the Griso.  The Griso has a similar brawny feel to the engine, but is longer and less lively.  
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 07:16:49 am by Rincewind » Logged
Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2016, 09:18:05 am »

9T update.  It's still using some oil, so I have to keep watch.  Also need to keep extra watch on air pressure - I've never had to fill tires as often as this bike and handling suffers quickly with losses in pressure.

Adds have been minimal - Garmin connector, heated gear connector, Dart flyscreen, Givi tanklock ring.

Bike as packed for ESTN.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/Rincewind0011/028_zps401zy50l.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/Rincewind0011/023_zpssgvmtw81.jpg

This past week I finally added a H&B luggage rack and Givi adaptor to get my V46 mounted.  
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/Rincewind0011/038_zpsou55zeyv.jpg
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal